Official Sony XBR-55X850A / XBR-65X850A Owner's Thread - Page 39 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1141 of 1170 Old 05-12-2015, 08:16 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 165
I'm sure it can play - just not in rich color afforded by the new spec and without some additional bonuses depending on the source material.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1142 of 1170 Old 05-28-2015, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just ordered the 16 gig version of this. Not interested in games but it has Netflix and YouTube in 4K.
Hopefully they both work. The specs list H265 and VP9, so I'm hoping for the best. no Amazon though.

http://shield.nvidia.com/android-tv
post #1143 of 1170 Old 05-29-2015, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob4K View Post
Just ordered the 16 gig version of this. Not interested in games but it has Netflix and YouTube in 4K.
Hopefully they both work. The specs list H265 and VP9, so I'm hoping for the best. no Amazon though.

http://shield.nvidia.com/android-tv

Nice, please let us know how it works. Also, are there any other devices currently on the market that can stream Netflix in 4k tv besides the sony 4k box thing?
post #1144 of 1170 Old 05-29-2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by knlmwq View Post
Nice, please let us know how it works. Also, are there any other devices currently on the market that can stream Netflix in 4k tv besides the sony 4k box thing?
None that I know of as of now. There was one from last year that did 4K but only for Ultraflix. Only at 30 FPS.
This is scheduled to arrive Monday, so I will let everyone know if it lives up to its promises. Its Nvidia so
I expect it will.
post #1145 of 1170 Old 06-02-2015, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by knlmwq View Post
I just pre-ordered the 500GB Nvidia Shield Console, which should ship tomorrow. I already have the Nvidia Shield Tablet and am able to stream games from my PC in 4K (the tablet has a console mode when I hook it up to my 850A via HDMI and use the hardwired ethernet instead of WiFi), but the console appears to have much more functionality. Now I don't feel so bad about buying my 4K set too early and not having 4K streaming video built in. I've been using the FMPX10 to stream 4K Netflix, but it seems like this Nvidia console is going to have a lot of functionality and give me access to more 4K content.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
post #1146 of 1170 Old 06-02-2015, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerim Hadzi View Post
So I've had this television since June of 2014 and I believe I paid about $2600 for it from a local store. Couple of weeks ago I noticed a group of what I believe were dead pixels on the right hand of the television and couple of smaller areas right in the middle of the screen. I will try and upload the images. I then called sony and they walked me through the whole process and ultimately they had me upload images of the close up of the pixels as well as the image of the television turned on and serial and model number from the back of the unit. After about two days pass I get a call from their customer solutions. He immediately tells me that he was reviewing the notes from what the tech support person had made and that the dead pixels were "normal operation" is what I believe he called it and that there is nothing that can be done. At this point I kinda went off on the guy telling him about how pixels work and how this could never be considered a normal operation. He kept saying "I understand your frustration" and that he was going to forward my concern back to tech Dept again. He then offered me to have one of their "authorized" technicians come out and look at the television, and that I would be reimbursed for that eventually. I refused to pay anybody hundreds of dollars to tell me something I already know. I then demanded that the television gets replaced. As soon as I said that the guy said "Ok, send me a copy of your receipt and I will replace the television". I was like WTF? that was quick. He then emailed me back stating that the 2013 models were not in the warehouse and that I could chose from the B model (XBR65X850B OR XBR65x900B!) As much as I'd like the 900B I just couldn't do it due to space on the wall (already have wall mounted front speakers with 5.1 surround on the side of the television now) and besides the only difference as far as I know between the 900b and 850b is the speakers. I eventually went with the 850B. The next morning I got an email back from him that the television was ordered and to expect delivery in 3 weeks. They will also haul away the old television. The reason for this crazy long post is that if you notice dead pixels they WILL replace the television. I know I've read that Sony can be bad about that and it has to fit the certain criteria. This was my experience and hope it helps someone else.
I have an 850A and will gladly swap with you.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
post #1147 of 1170 Old 06-02-2015, 05:42 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Netflix 4k does not work

Registered just to share my experience:

NVIDIA shield console with XBR55X850A and sony STR-DVH740 receiver. Connected with HDMI that came with the shield to the 4k input on the receiver and from the receiver to TV with a HDMI 2.0 cable. I get 4k video and multichannel audio to the TV BUT NETFLIX DOES NOT SHOW/ALLOW 4K CONTENT.

There is no "ultra HD" or "super HD" or w/e they called it. I tried the 4k test stream and it only played 1080p. Youtube plays 4k content beautifully.

Once again, those of us who adopt new technologies and then also legally pay for content are punished.

I have one of my 4 days off this month this coming Sunday. I'll try direct connection to the TV then. I am hugely disappointed.
post #1148 of 1170 Old 06-02-2015, 07:55 PM

Does the Sony receiver do HDCP 2.2 passthrough? That may be the issue. If you hook it up directly to the TV, then you'll know one way or the other. And yes, it is stupid, but we've got the best laws money can buy...
post #1149 of 1170 Old 06-02-2015, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorLaser View Post

NVIDIA shield console with XBR55X850A and sony STR-DVH740 receiver. Connected with HDMI that came with the shield to the 4k input on the receiver and from the receiver to TV with a HDMI 2.0 cable. I get 4k video and multichannel audio to the TV BUT NETFLIX DOES NOT SHOW/ALLOW 4K CONTENT.

There is no "ultra HD" or "super HD" or w/e they called it. I tried the 4k test stream and it only played 1080p. Youtube plays 4k content beautifully.

Once again, those of us who adopt new technologies and then also legally pay for content are punished.

I have one of my 4 days off this month this coming Sunday. I'll try direct connection to the TV then. I am hugely disappointed.
I would make sure you have a receiver that has 4k pass through.
Also, did you download the updates? I read that you need the updates to get the updated Netflix app with 4K.
I'm interested to see if the Nvidia will give us Xbr850a owners 4k streaming.
post #1150 of 1170 Old 06-03-2015, 01:13 AM

And also make sure you connect to HDMI port 4 on the TV. It is the only one that has HDCP 2.2
post #1151 of 1170 Old 06-03-2015, 01:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So looks like Amazon prime is now streaming 4k content. I'm assuming this TV is not compatible with that service. This is really beginning to bum me out. I have the original X1 media player. Really no option for me to do any streaming of conent is there?
post #1152 of 1170 Old 06-03-2015, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Hey all-

I have the 850A as well.

I did pull the trigger and buy the Shield TV and can attest that Netflix streams 4K beautifully as does YouTube. The catch? Always a catch, right? Well, right now, I can't get the 5.1 to work with Netflix or YoutTube.

My setup:

-Ethernet cable runs right into Shield

-Shield runs to HDMI port 4.

-Optical cables then runs to my receiver. I get sound but it's only 2.1.

... Now, in the past, I have watched Netflix , albeit in 1080p through the TV's app but I still got 5.1.

My receiver is NOT 4K ready. I thought I would be able to get 5.1 because I am running the optical cable from the TV to my receiver which as worked in the past. Others in the NVIDIA forums are reporting the same issue.

I am wondering if this is a bug or a limitation of the optical cable/TV. I have verified that the TV does process 5.1 so I am VERY confused to what's wrong.

What a catch! Finally being able to stream 4K (thank you Sony for stiffing us early adopters) and not getting 5.1.

Does anyone have any ideas/thoughts?

Thank you!
post #1153 of 1170 Old 06-03-2015, 05:30 PM

I've been using the Shield since I got it Monday. Finally I can watch 4K on my 65x850A. So far i haven't had any problems with it. Netflix 4k looks just as good as on my 2014 Samsung. Most 4k youtube videos look stellar. I'm just using my soundbar for audio. If there's any 5.1 problem Id contact Nvidia about it. As an added bonus the Sony remote works with the Shield so I don't have to use the game controller. Also the Pluto TV app has a 4k channel for more 4k pleasure.
post #1154 of 1170 Old 06-03-2015, 10:22 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by africanlivedit View Post
Hey all-

I have the 850A as well.

I did pull the trigger and buy the Shield TV and can attest that Netflix streams 4K beautifully as does YouTube. The catch? Always a catch, right? Well, right now, I can't get the 5.1 to work with Netflix or YoutTube.

My setup:

-Ethernet cable runs right into Shield

-Shield runs to HDMI port 4.

-Optical cables then runs to my receiver. I get sound but it's only 2.1.

... Now, in the past, I have watched Netflix , albeit in 1080p through the TV's app but I still got 5.1.

My receiver is NOT 4K ready. I thought I would be able to get 5.1 because I am running the optical cable from the TV to my receiver which as worked in the past. Others in the NVIDIA forums are reporting the same issue.

I am wondering if this is a bug or a limitation of the optical cable/TV. I have verified that the TV does process 5.1 so I am VERY confused to what's wrong.

What a catch! Finally being able to stream 4K (thank you Sony for stiffing us early adopters) and not getting 5.1.

Does anyone have any ideas/thoughts?

Thank you!
I found this on the GEOFORCE forum about the Nvidia 1.1 upgrade.

"Enables Surround Sound and High-Resolution Audio:
Enjoy a home theater experience with rich Dolby® 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass-through. Listen to high-resolution audio up to 24-bit/192 kHz over USB or HDMI."

Maybe this is why you aren't getting 5.1 surround sound since you are using an optical cable. It specifically states USB or HDMI.
Maybe upgrading to a 4k pass through receiver will be necessary.

Has anyone used this Nvidia Shield TV with an xbr850a and a 4k pass through receiver? If so were you able to get 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound?
post #1155 of 1170 Old 06-04-2015, 06:57 AM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jovojr1 View Post
I found this on the GEOFORCE forum about the Nvidia 1.1 upgrade.

"Enables Surround Sound and High-Resolution Audio:
Enjoy a home theater experience with rich Dolby® 7.1 and 5.1 surround sound pass-through. Listen to high-resolution audio up to 24-bit/192 kHz over USB or HDMI."

Maybe this is why you aren't getting 5.1 surround sound since you are using an optical cable. It specifically states USB or HDMI.
Maybe upgrading to a 4k pass through receiver will be necessary.

Has anyone used this Nvidia Shield TV with an xbr850a and a 4k pass through receiver? If so were you able to get 5.1 or 7.1 surround sound?
I went ahead and bought one of the new Pioneer 930 receiver. I don't want to have to keep switching back and forth between inputs/HDMI all the time. I figure with this receiver, I could get some good mileage out of it because of the HDMI (4K 60P/4:4:4) and HDCP 2.2 inputs.

I'll let you know how it goes when I get it connected tomorrow.
post #1156 of 1170 Old 06-16-2015, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorLaser View Post

Hi just to let everyone know that is having an issue with Netflix on the Nvidia Shield. Check your Netflix subscription, I had to change mine from the $7.99 HD streaming to $11.99 UHD in order to view 4k. It works beautifully on my 850a.

Additionally, my Shield did not come with the Netflix app, and downloading it from the app store did not show any result. It took me half an hour to figure out to try and do a firmware update on the Shield. That firmware is specifically designed to add the Netflix app, should be around 650mb download.
post #1157 of 1170 Old 06-18-2015, 12:40 PM

Jittery images on 850A

Hello All!

When watching TV the lettering and images sometimes jitter (bounce) up and down is this a normal occurrence with a 4k TV or is something wrong with the TV
post #1158 of 1170 Old 06-18-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked: 213
Hi guys, was hoping to get a quick suggestion...

My tv broke and I'm now trying to quickly research TV's, and I'm very interested in a 65 inch version of the Sony 4K displays. The only thing is, I know there are older models and newer models, and it can be a bit confusing. Best Buy has an older Sony 65 incher on sale for $1999.99 that is kinda tempting, but then I'm hearing about all this YouTube VP9 and Amazon and all this stuff. Then I hear about this Nvidia Shield thing.

We don't use cable TV. We only use Netflix, Amazon and OTA stuff via antenna. So, I'm definitely interested in Netflix 4K and Amazon 4K ( if that's a thing...) and YouTube 4K. I don't necessarily mind needing to get a Shield as well, but how much are those things ? Should I just pay more for a newer model with stuff built in, or do those have other problems ?

Basically, I'm not up to speed at all on all this VP9 stuff and all the streaming 4K stuff. I don't know jack squat about it. But if I do end up going 4K, I definitely want to be able to check that stuff out. Whether it's built in or via the Nvidia Shield or something like that.
post #1159 of 1170 Old 07-03-2015, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Sonos 5.1

I've had this tv now for almost two years and loved it! Been slowly working on my surround sound and have finally a sonos 5.1 set up going. With the sonos tho it only has a optical in and they want you to have it come from the TV itself. From my understanding most tvs down convert audio to stereo, which is what the sonos system would get. Is our awesom X850A the same? or does it pass through 5.1 signals?

If it doesn't I don't have an issue connecting directly from my PS4 but it would make my life (more so my wife's life) easier if I didn't need to add more "stuff" to the mix. lol.

Edit: So I've tried connecting my PS4 directly to the playbar and the sonos app still says its receiving a stereo signal? I have the PS4 set to optical out ad DD primary.

Last edited by ayase; 07-03-2015 at 07:55 AM.
post #1160 of 1170 Old 07-05-2015, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayase View Post
I've had this tv now for almost two years and loved it! Been slowly working on my surround sound and have finally a sonos 5.1 set up going. With the sonos tho it only has a optical in and they want you to have it come from the TV itself. From my understanding most tvs down convert audio to stereo, which is what the sonos system would get. Is our awesom X850A the same? or does it pass through 5.1 signals?

If it doesn't I don't have an issue connecting directly from my PS4 but it would make my life (more so my wife's life) easier if I didn't need to add more "stuff" to the mix. lol.

Edit: So I've tried connecting my PS4 directly to the playbar and the sonos app still says its receiving a stereo signal? I have the PS4 set to optical out ad DD primary.
The optical out in the TV is limited to 2-channel, you can only have 5.1 channel through HDMI using ARC.
post #1161 of 1170 Old 07-06-2015, 05:51 PM

Ugh....I hadn't noticed that it was 2 channel. That explains a lot. May finally be time to invest in a new stereo that has HDMI...
post #1162 of 1170 Old 07-07-2015, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiohm View Post
The optical out in the TV is limited to 2-channel, you can only have 5.1 channel through HDMI using ARC.
Not entirely true. It can only output 5.1 from the optical out if the signal is Dolby Digital. Anything else, like DTS, will be down converted to 2. But it defeats the purpose of the optical out anyway. I would have loved if it could just bitstream the signal as is. Anyway I have my audio connected to a receiver.
post #1163 of 1170 Old 07-07-2015, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by don_gabrielli View Post
Not entirely true. It can only output 5.1 from the optical out if the signal is Dolby Digital. Anything else, like DTS, will be down converted to 2. But it defeats the purpose of the optical out anyway. I would have loved if it could just bitstream the signal as is. Anyway I have my audio connected to a receiver.
Actually I believe it will pass thru 2 channel from all audio that comes into the set from hdmi (Hdmi input.) However if the signal is say from a TV app or broadcast TV then you can get DD. this is also an hdmi audio copy protection provision and should be the same on all sets with hdmi certification. It is stupid.
post #1164 of 1170 Old 07-07-2015, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

I'd hate to ask but does anyone know what the most recent firmware update added. Sony seemly makes this information secret.
post #1165 of 1170 Old 07-07-2015, 10:23 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsonnens View Post
I'd hate to ask but does anyone know what the most recent firmware update added. Sony seemly makes this information secret.

File Description UPDATE System Software Update Release Date 6/29/2015 Version PKG4.540AAA File Size 156.27 MB Download
Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG4.540AAA) provides the following benefits:

Improvements over version PKG4.510AAA:
  • Improves general performance of the TV
Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG4.540AAA:
  • Improves performance and stability of the Internet TV features
  • Improves video and audio playback performance
  • Enables Transport Layer Security 1.0 (TLS1.0) to enhance security of Internet applications
  • Improves reliability to the Secure Sockets Layer 3.0 (SSL3.0)
  • Improves performance and stability of your TV
  • Improves the login function for the Skype® online calling service
  • Improves stability of the Screen Mirroring function
  • Provides HDMI® 2.0 compatibility (Applies to 4K models only)
    Supports 4K 60p (3840X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit, 4096X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit)
  • Improves stability of the sound output with a Blu-ray Disc™ player using an HDMI connection

Sometimes I think my brain has a mind of its own.
post #1166 of 1170 Old 07-10-2015, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Improvements over version PKG4.510AAA:
Improves general performance of the TV

Yep, clear as day.
post #1167 of 1170 Old 07-13-2015, 06:35 PM

Has anyone ever done a full factory reset on this TV? If so did it give any improvement?
I seem to get this horrible looking brownish yellow color in some dark scenes.
post #1168 of 1170 Old 07-20-2015, 10:24 AM

Does anybody have contact info to a Sony supervisor. Im on extended warranty and the picture is awful and clouding is getting worse. I can't get anybody to help. Very disappointed in Sony.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #1169 of 1170 Old 07-21-2015, 07:11 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWMGT90 View Post
Does anybody have contact info to a Sony supervisor. Im on extended warranty and the picture is awful and clouding is getting worse. I can't get anybody to help. Very disappointed in Sony.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I've had this set since Feb. 2014 and it has performed very well. I can't help you with a Sony contact but if the extended warranty is through them they should be acting promptly on your claim.
post #1170 of 1170 Old Today, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by africanlivedit View Post
I went ahead and bought one of the new Pioneer 930 receiver. I don't want to have to keep switching back and forth between inputs/HDMI all the time. I figure with this receiver, I could get some good mileage out of it because of the HDMI (4K 60P/4:4:4) and HDCP 2.2 inputs.

I'll let you know how it goes when I get it connected tomorrow.

I've run into the same problem. I have a 4k pass through Yamaha receiver, but only at 4k 30hz.

If I connect Shield to TV and then TV to receiver either via HDMI ARC or optical then I get a 4k picture (beautiful) but 2 channel sound
If I connect Shield to my Receiver, I only get a 1080 picture but 5.1 sound.

There are no settings on the receiver to adjust for 4k quality.

any suggestions?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
kd-55x8504a , kd-65x8504a , Sony , Sony Xbr55x850a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led , Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page