Official Sony XBR-55X850A / XBR-65X850A Owner's Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1178 Old 08-11-2015, 08:25 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Squeaky Whee View Post
I've run into the same problem. I have a 4k pass through Yamaha receiver, but only at 4k 30hz.

If I connect Shield to TV and then TV to receiver either via HDMI ARC or optical then I get a 4k picture (beautiful) but 2 channel sound
If I connect Shield to my Receiver, I only get a 1080 picture but 5.1 sound.

There are no settings on the receiver to adjust for 4k quality.

any suggestions?
I was reading some earlier posts in this thread and it says the optical will output 5.1 if it's DD. Have you played Dolby Digital content through Shield and it's still outputting 2.0? I'm in the market for a 4k Netflix box soon, but am afraid of needing to upgrade my receiver as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1178 Old 08-11-2015, 10:02 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillstatus View Post
I was reading some earlier posts in this thread and it says the optical will output 5.1 if it's DD. Have you played Dolby Digital content through Shield and it's still outputting 2.0? I'm in the market for a 4k Netflix box soon, but am afraid of needing to upgrade my receiver as well.
I haven't seen anything but 2 channel output from my TV to my receiver using the optical out on the XBR. At this point, I accept that I won't get surround sound with my current setup of the XBR850a, the Nvidia Shield and my current Yamaha receiver.

Having said that, for $200 the upgrade to the 4k picture is worth it, and my receiver does a good job at simulated surround sound. I'm pleased and content for now. In time, I may upgrade the receiver to one with true 4k passthrough and then connect the Nvidia to the receiver, as opposed to my current setup of connecting it directly to the Sony TV
post #1173 of 1178 Old 08-16-2015, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I haven't been on this thread in a while so I hope someone hasn't already brought this up, but I just got off the phone with DIRECTV, and they now offer 4K programming for anyone with a 4K TV. DIRECTV used to only offer 4K programming if someone had one of the Samsung 4K TVs with built-in RVU technology, but they now offer an external mini receiver, which replaces the regular mini receiver, and it broadcasts 4K content to any make/model 4K TV. It says on their website that the TV must have HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, but that's every 4K TV.

The bad thing is I bought a Sony 850A when it first came out, and it only has 1 HDMI port that's both HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 so I'm already to the point where I have to unplug one device and plug in another if I want to use a different 4K device. I can't wait for someone to release a switch so I can just plug everything into it and have it running to my 1 HDMI port. The technician is supposed to be out on Tuesday to install it.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
post #1174 of 1178 Old 08-17-2015, 08:22 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolldog View Post
I haven't been on this thread in a while so I hope someone hasn't already brought this up, but I just got off the phone with DIRECTV, and they now offer 4K programming for anyone with a 4K TV. DIRECTV used to only offer 4K programming if someone had one of the Samsung 4K TVs with built-in RVU technology, but they now offer an external mini receiver, which replaces the regular mini receiver, and it broadcasts 4K content to any make/model 4K TV. It says on their website that the TV must have HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2, but that's every 4K TV.

The bad thing is I bought a Sony 850A when it first came out, and it only has 1 HDMI port that's both HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 so I'm already to the point where I have to unplug one device and plug in another if I want to use a different 4K device. I can't wait for someone to release a switch so I can just plug everything into it and have it running to my 1 HDMI port. The technician is supposed to be out on Tuesday to install it.

Is there an increased charge for the 4k material (what channels or is it PPV only)?

Please post your review of the service once it gets hooked up!

Marantz 8801 Arcam P1000 Oppo 95 SystemDek IIX turntable ATC SCM 19 V2's (L&R) B&W LCR6 (center) B&W in ceiling surround speakers Velodyne SPL-10 Subs (2) Sony xbr65x850a
post #1175 of 1178 Old 08-17-2015, 08:37 AM

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Nope, no additional monthly charge. Once the technician comes out, which will be tomorrow, I'll report back to let you know more details on how it works, what channels I get, etc. I know it's a couple of PPV channels, but there are a couple more channels of regular broadcasting which is all 4K. If I had to guess, ESPN is probably one of them.

The only thing I don't understand about DIRECTV are the receivers. I was asking the lady I was talking to yesterday if I could just exchange one of my mini receivers for this one, and she said no because my monthly fee includes renting the receivers. The mini receivers cost $99. Doesn’t that mean I'm buying it and I own it? It's been my experience that the people who you talk to when you call in don't know anything. It's always best to ask one of the technicians when they come out. She said the only thing I own is my wireless bridge, which streams the DIRECTV signal to my wireless receiver, and I own my Nomad, which allows me to transfer or stream content from my DVR to my phone or tablet, which I've used probably a handful of times. That doesn't cost anything monthly either, just the cost of the box.

post #1176 of 1178 Old 08-17-2015, 02:16 PM

Liked: 0
My X850B brethren,

Having some troubles with my 49" so I wanted all your opinions and suggestions before I went to Sony. I originally purchase this TV back in January of this year. Within a month I noticed a dead green pixel appear located on the lower left side of the screen. I didn't give it to much attention because I felt it was an insignificant problem. Months pass by and now I see a dead red pixel on the right middle side of the screen. Also, it appears as thought there is some clouding occurring around the right side as well.

It's been quite some time since I purchased this from Best Buy so it's not like I can go to get a replacement from them. So, what should I do at this point? Should I contact Sony? What kind of solutions would they offer me? Am I screwed?

Thanks for the help yet again, guys. Love this thread.
post #1177 of 1178 Old 08-17-2015, 02:18 PM

Liked: 0
Sorry, please disregard my post above. Moving to proper thread.

Mods, please delete if possible. Thanks.
post #1178 of 1178 Old Today, 11:15 AM

Liked: 12
Firmware Update yesterday:

Sony has designed the BRAVIA® Televisions software update process to be customer friendly. This software update (version PKG4.550AAA) provides the following benefits:

Improvements over version PKG4.540AAA:
  • Improves the YouTube™ Cast function

Benefits provided by previous updates and included in version PKG4.550AAA:
  • Improves general performance of the TV
  • Improves performance and stability of the Internet TV features
  • Improves video and audio playback performance
  • Enables Transport Layer Security 1.0 (TLS1.0) to enhance security of Internet applications
  • Improves reliability to the Secure Sockets Layer 3.0 (SSL3.0)
  • Improves performance and stability of your TV
  • Improves the login function for the Skype® online calling service
  • Improves stability of the Screen Mirroring function
  • Provides HDMI® 2.0 compatibility (Applies to 4K models only)
  • Supports 4K 60p (3840X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit, 4096X2160p (59.94/60Hz) YCbCr 4:2:0 8bit)
  • Improves stability of the sound output with a Blu-ray Disc™ player using an HDMI connection
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
kd-55x8504a , kd-65x8504a , Sony , Sony Xbr55x850a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led , Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page