Official Sony XBR-55X850A / XBR-65X850A Owner's Thread - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1004 Old 02-11-2014, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 131
The HDMI 2.0 update has already been released. As far as the mandatory specs, we should be pretty good, UHD@50/60. No board replacement is necessary for the 850, only the 900 depending on the build date of the set. The hardware was already in place, just needed to be flashed once the release was ready. As far as applying to all inputs or just HDMI4, I don't have the answer to that one.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1004 Old 02-12-2014, 10:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm about to purchase this TV, and I was wondering if the Audio Return Channel (ARC) will output Dolby Digital Plus streams from Netflix to my receiver? I can already do this via my Windows 8 HTPC, but it would be slightly more convenient if the display supports the format. I remember reading that some other TV's ARC would only output normal DD. Anyone tested this? Thanks!
post #183 of 1004 Old 02-12-2014, 11:01 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 49
I'm not sure if it requires a Sony receiver or not to do this. I'm not sure why the ARC isn't just labeled HDMI out unless it is labeled arc because it only works with Sony receivers as an out.
post #184 of 1004 Old 02-12-2014, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boe View Post

I'm not sure if it requires a Sony receiver or not to do this. I'm not sure why the ARC isn't just labeled HDMI out unless it is labeled arc because it only works with Sony receivers as an out.

My Pioneer VSX-1123-K is capable of ARC..I don't think it's just a Sony thing?

But that wasn't my question. My question is if the ARC is capable of outputting Dolby Digital Plus from Netflix and other apps that support it, rather than simple Dolby Digital.
post #185 of 1004 Old 02-13-2014, 01:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks for the advice.  I wasn't able to successfully play any downloaded 4k video samples (non-TV related hardware limitations), but I did test the screen with some 3840x2160 jpeg's...no visible issues or artifacts.  The bar I was seeing must have been related to the YouTube stream.

post #186 of 1004 Old 02-13-2014, 05:40 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

You might want to check hardware acceleration for flash youtube playback.
post #187 of 1004 Old 02-14-2014, 04:11 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Curious if anyone here is using an IR repeater for their Sony TV?? I'm not too familiar with them - I don't want to convert IR to radio, I just need to move the IR receive up a little bit due to the angle between where we view TV a cabinet beneath the TV and the TV IR. I was hoping there might be something I could plug into the USB with a IR receiver at the end of the USB cable I could put on the side of the TV.
post #188 of 1004 Old 02-14-2014, 05:48 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

So anyone else here curious about what the deal is/ will be with the new 4K episodes of House of Cards?
post #189 of 1004 Old 02-14-2014, 05:57 PM

I just had my 850a delivered and no matter what settings I use, I just cant get to liking it. When standing about 5 feet away from the screen, I see all the edges are out of focus and seem to flex sort of ghost like. Is this normal? When I watched this tv at the sony store, it was perfect from the range. That was of course in 4k mode but still I found my old kdl xbr52 much sharper than this tv.

Any comments would be appreciated as Im about to return this. My feed is by satellite.

post #190 of 1004 Old 02-15-2014, 11:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

So anyone else here curious about what the deal is/ will be with the new 4K episodes of House of Cards?
The announcement is 4K availability on or before July 1, 2014. It won't be streamed in H.264, so all 2013 4K TV owners are SOL.
post #191 of 1004 Old 02-15-2014, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 154 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:

Curious if anyone here is using an IR repeater for their Sony TV?? I'm not too familiar with them - I don't want to convert IR to radio, I just need to move the IR receive up a little bit due to the angle between where we view TV a cabinet beneath the TV and the TV IR. I was hoping there might be something I could plug into the USB with a IR receiver at the end of the USB cable I could put on the side of the TV.

My 55X9 set is on a stand about 86cm off the floor, and because they've tucked the IR sensor right behind the circular chrome base it won't pick up anything from my seating position. So I bought a cheapy IR repeater from ebay. It's USB powered and has a receiver and a tiny little transmitter all tethered together. Works fine, although the transmitter could do with having a wider beam because I have to position it very precisely under the 'lip' of the TV.
post #192 of 1004 Old 02-15-2014, 02:00 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

My 55X9 set is on a stand about 86cm off the floor, and because they've tucked the IR sensor right behind the circular chrome base it won't pick up anything from my seating position. So I bought a cheapy IR repeater from ebay. It's USB powered and has a receiver and a tiny little transmitter all tethered together. Works fine, although the transmitter could do with having a wider beam because I have to position it very precisely under the 'lip' of the TV.

So does it control the signal through the USB e.g. receive the command from the remote via USB and then send what it receives to the USB and the TV interprets the USB commands? I'm not really familiar with how they work.
post #193 of 1004 Old 02-15-2014, 02:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So does it control the signal through the USB e.g. receive the command from the remote via USB and then send what it receives to the USB and the TV interprets the USB commands? I'm not really familiar with how they work.

No man, nothing so complicated! The USB is there for power only. You plug that into one of the USB sockets on the TV, position the receiver in the ideal place (in my case on the right hand side of the rack that my TV sits on, because I'm right handed) and then position the transmitter on or underneath the 'lip' where the Sony logo is. That's it.
post #194 of 1004 Old 02-15-2014, 03:12 PM

This is the 3rd day with this sony and im not impressed at all. Watching the golf and as the camera pans back, the all the green is like a blob. If this is the best sony can do then they are in real trouble.

post #195 of 1004 Old 02-16-2014, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Heck, I use the internet app, you do know there is a sony TV SideView app on Google Play and the Itunes app store? I use my Ipad for all my components now. Really works well it makes a nice remote.
post #196 of 1004 Old 02-16-2014, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roller11 View Post

The announcement is 4K availability on or before July 1, 2014. It won't be streamed in H.264, so all 2013 4K TV owners are SOL.

If 4K Blu-Ray players, (not the upscale players), hits the market in the future, Netflix should be streaming in 4K in that player. It should work with the xbr65x850a, right?
post #197 of 1004 Old 02-16-2014, 07:26 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figarou View Post

If 4K Blu-Ray players, (not the upscale players), hits the market in the future, Netflix should be streaming in 4K in that player. It should work with the xbr65x850a, right?

I wouldn't count on it. Sony hasn't been exactly forthcoming with the whole HDMI 2.0 thing. They use words like ready and compatibility. I think if it was true HDMI 2.0 they would say it is an HDMI 2.0 port. If it was truly hdmi 2.0 why is nothing else on the market hdmi 2.0 yet if it was as simple as a firmware update.
post #198 of 1004 Old 02-17-2014, 08:35 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Not necessarily, depends on which codec is used in the Blu Ray player.
Even if future 4K players are compatible with the streaming format choosen by Netflix, the picture quality will be much worse than the PQ of the video coming off Sony's 4K media player. To understand the magnitude of degradation due to streaming, compare the best 4K You Tube videos to the best 4K videos coming off Sony's player.
post #199 of 1004 Old 02-17-2014, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roller11 View Post

Not necessarily, depends on which codec is used in the Blu Ray player.
Even if future 4K players are compatible with the streaming format choosen by Netflix, the picture quality will be much worse than the PQ of the video coming off Sony's 4K media player. To understand the magnitude of degradation due to streaming, compare the best 4K You Tube videos to the best 4K videos coming off Sony's player.

I guess buying a 4K Blu-Ray player is out of the question then.
post #200 of 1004 Old 02-17-2014, 04:36 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:

I guess buying a 4K Blu-Ray player is out of the question then.

For now it is.

I don't know of any 4k blu-ray players or disks available at this time, or even any timeline for such a release.

-daystar5

post #201 of 1004 Old 02-18-2014, 06:02 AM

After talking to many sales people including Sony sales reps, I found that the 4k tvs are not selling very well and Sony is and will be discounting these tvs to the nines. I checked out other 850a tvs on display in different stores and they all were the same as mine. They were horrible if they were not hooked into a 4k box. Even on blue ray, they were not that good. If anyone is going to buy a Sony 4k to watch normal tv....forget it. You will be greatly disappointed. Expensive junk is the best way to describe sony 4k lcd/led.

post #202 of 1004 Old 02-18-2014, 06:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank007 View Post

After talking to many sales people including Sony sales reps, I found that the 4k tvs are not selling very well and Sony is and will be discounting these tvs to the nines. I checked out other 850a tvs on display in different stores and they all were the same as mine. They were horrible if they were not hooked into a 4k box. Even on blue ray, they were not that good. If anyone is going to buy a Sony 4k to watch normal tv....forget it. You will be greatly disappointed. Expensive junk is the best way to describe sony 4k lcd/led.

You actually had Sony reps telling you that 4K TV's aren't selling very well? And Sony is and will be discounting these? If true, and I aint doubting you, that's a pretty dumb thing to say because all it says is they no longer have any faith in 4K. Expensive junk should not only be directed at Sony 4K TV's but at other manufacturer 4K TV's as well. I wont say 4K TV's are junk but that they are out in the market place way to early. There's not enough 4K material to make a 4K tv worth buying and they don't look much different then a regular 1080p tv when hooked up to a regular HD source. I said it before and that was Sony put all their eggs in one basket with 4K and its not reaping the profit that they thought it would. They made the very same mistake with 3D and look what happened, it failed. That being said Sony better hope 4K tv sales get better because their Tv manufacturing division is on its last legs and its success hinges on 4K AND if 4K sales fail then in 2015 that's all she wrote for Sony's Tv division.
post #203 of 1004 Old 02-18-2014, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Have to disagree with you on this one. TV and Blu-rays look spectacular on my set. Of course, those stations that put out garbage, look like garbage, but overall everything looks really good.

S~

Please use the report post button to alert staff to problematic posts. Never quote or respond to them yourself
post #204 of 1004 Old 02-18-2014, 08:15 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

I agree the motion on the Sony is less desirable than a plasma but the picture is pretty darn good. It might be that you have a less than spectacular BR player. I saw a bunch of 4K TVs at BestBuy in Northridge and the sales guy even said the picture looked like crap. He said if I let him know he'd bring in his Oppo from home and it would look great. I have mine hooked to an Oppo and the picture is fantastic. A lot of TV stations I get are not even 720p and that is because I'm on very basic cable (I download all my shows). They don't look very good but if I'm looking at a 1080 station it looks great.
post #205 of 1004 Old 02-18-2014, 08:28 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

This is the 3rd day with this sony and im not impressed at all. Watching the golf and as the camera pans back, the all the green is like a blob. If this is the best sony can do then they are in real trouble.
Perfect description, couldn't agree more.
When I watched my first TV program on my 65x850a, a football game, I was shocked at how bad the PQ was. After viewing similar programming and various sources such as Blu Ray, video games, computer graphics, 4K videos off my media player, and viewing many TVs at popular retailers, I came to the following conclusions:
1. the "blob like" characteristic is specific to broadcast TV... BluRays, computer graphics, and video games look pretty good.
2. This unpleasant characteristic is on all brands of LED TVs, not just Sony. Samsung, Sharp, LG, Toshiba etc. look just as bad. The LED technology is the problem, not unique to Sony.

My main TV is in the lining room, a 2007 Samsung DLP. It is vastly better PQ on broadcast TV vs any LED in the retailers showrooms.
To summarize:
broadcast TV: DLP beats LED hands down
Blu Ray: different, but hard to say which is better.
Video games: Nod goes to LED.

DLP seems sharper, LED seems out of focus. But I like the superior brightness of LED.
For a general purpose day in, day out TV, no question I'll take DLP. But the PQ of the best 4K videos on my Sony media server is breath taking, worlds beyond anything I ever expected to see on a TV screen, better than any movie theater.

So after I return my 65x850a Tv to Crutchfield for a full refund (defective , designed in deinterlacing artifacts in 3D), I don't know what I'll replace it with (if anything). This will happen around March 7th, before the 2014 models come out.
post #206 of 1004 Old 02-19-2014, 05:36 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 425
Quote:

I'm just dropped in from the Sony W850a review forms. When the camera is fast panning and you see some blurring and if your are using a DVR, back it up once (1-min) then play the scene again in slow-motion or by the auto frame by frame setting. If you still see the pixelation or blur the problem is not your TV but the signal source. I learned my lesson on this by watching pro football games using my outdoor off air TV antenna. I had pixelation on my new Sony W850 TV including motion blur. I tried various setting then put them back to default, which is standard on my set. This was before I learned to use the DVR to prove if its the set or from the Satellite receiver.

During the first quarter of a game I switched back to the Dish Network and no more pixelation or motion blur. The problem was the TV stations in El Paso and not my television. I don't live in El Paso but I do have a nice enough antenna to pick all their channels up at 75% to 100% signal strength. Evidently dish in Wyoming is using a much better feed directly from the Networks.

I wanted the 65" XBR 4K set but just could not afford it so I bought this lesser Sony 65W850, 1080i set instead. I was looking for some great screen shots in your forums is why i'm here..

I don't know if your group has posted the Noise settings to Off to improve the picture as yet. I found the info recently from Cnet and also in the Consumer Reports magazine. I will post the site below where I posted them on page 44.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1491811/sony-65w850a-reviews/1290

This below is my latest screen shot from my TV with the living room lights full off. I am saving up to buy a Sony 4K set hopefully in about 4 years.

If the picture is not full then left click the picture to see the larger view.

post #207 of 1004 Old 02-19-2014, 06:14 AM
boe
AVS Special Member

You'll also notice blurring if it is upscaling a low res video source. The lower the resolution of the original source, the more the blurring. I watch mostly action movies on BR and blurring is not an issue.
post #208 of 1004 Old 02-19-2014, 04:13 PM

Well I sold the X850A and shopped around for something that I would like. I really have to reiterate that my old KDL52XBR9 was simply amazing and I had no problems at all. The signal I receive has always been the same from my Bell satellite. So after searching for a few days and reading a ton...I purchase a Panasonic 55" VT60 Plasma. Not many of them left around and the picture is sensational. I was going to go for the ZT60 but it would have been a bit too oversize for my viewing distance and the spot it had to fit into. But I have to say that Sony treated me very well as the 4K set that they sent me was  a replacement for my 4 year old KDL52XBR9 that went kaput and they had to recall them. For them to replace that set with something that retailed for more than my old KDL was simply amazing. Ive also heard that they may just be trying to unload them because they can't sell them fast enough before they come out with their new line of "B" 4K sets. The money I got for the 4K was exactly what I paid for the plasma so all is well.

post #209 of 1004 Old 02-19-2014, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Hmmm. Maybe it's because I've got the Sony X9 rather than the X8, but I've got to say that 1080i HDTV, 1080p BD & upscaled DVD all look tremendous on my set. Yeah, a twenty-year-old episode of Poirot sourced from some crappy analogue tape broadcast on some crappy low-bitrate free-to-air channel won't magically look like it's been shot with a Red EPIC, but what're you gonna do? Hell, my Sega Saturn also kicks ass and even my freakin' Laserdisc doesn't disgrace itself.

But perhaps that's because, y'know, I've calibrated it properly? I've also subsequently turned off the noise reduction options, Eco settings, black/contrast correctors etc etc. The NR is particularly destructive because it softens the picture and adds lots of smearing, so combine that with the mediocre compression of your average cable/satellite broadcast and it'll look like a **** sandwich for sure. [/high horse]
MultimediaGeek likes this.
post #210 of 1004 Old 02-19-2014, 05:18 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff D View Post

Hmmm. Maybe it's because I've got the Sony X9 rather than the X8, but I've got to say that 1080i HDTV, 1080p BD & upscaled DVD all look tremendous on my set. Yeah, a twenty-year-old episode of Poirot sourced from some crappy analogue tape broadcast on some crappy low-bitrate free-to-air channel won't magically look like it's been shot with a Red EPIC, but what're you gonna do? Hell, my Sega Saturn also kicks ass and even my freakin' Laserdisc doesn't disgrace itself.

But perhaps that's because, y'know, I've calibrated it properly? I've also subsequently turned off the noise reduction options, Eco settings, black/contrast correctors etc etc. The NR is particularly destructive because it softens the picture and adds lots of smearing, so combine that with the mediocre compression of your average cable/satellite broadcast and it'll look like a **** sandwich for sure. [/high horse]
No problemos with my 850. Looks terrific. Except for LED Dynamic Control (low), all enhancements are off. I do turn on Reality creation to Auto when watching M4K BDs.

S~

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
kd-55x8504a , kd-65x8504a , Sony , Sony Xbr55x850a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led , Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page