AVS Forum banner
184K views 1K replies 214 participants last post by  ahsan 
#1 ·
Let's discuss our 850A's here. I've had the TV since 9/27/13 and am still tweaking it. I'll post the settings that I personally like as well as other tips/tricks/thoughts soon. I'll try and keep this first post updated to link to future helpful posts by other owners.

April 2nd, 2014: My 65X850A is still going strong. After 6 months of ownership I just have two issues with this set.

First is flashlighting/clouding during black scenes. Typically is only noticeable during intros and credits, but it still drives me crazy that a $5k TV does this. At least I don't notice it during actual content.

Second is the size. I came from a 55" before this and initially thought the 65 was huge. We'll trust me, you'll get over that real quick and then wish you'd went bigger. I now find myself waiting for the 79" or new 84" 2014 sets to launch. My living room isn't huge either, I believe it's 20 feet by 14 feet. We sit about 12 feet back from the set. I always think this set looks great from 8 feet, but 12 is a stretch to appreciate 4K at this size. My advice is go as big as you can possibly fit or afford

Last piece of advice, don't let the Sony 4K movie player sway you. I wanted to get the 70" sharp but went with the 65" Sony due to the movie player only working on Sony sets. Well we've used it about three times in the past 6 months. Had I known upscaled bluray content looked as incredible as it does I wouldn't of bothered with the 4K player quite yet. If you are buying Sony then get the player, just don't buy Sony so you can get the player is all I'm saying.

See less See more
#3 ·
1. The black levels are suprisngly good for an LED tv coming from the ZT60.

2. I dont have any flash lighting or bleeding, I do have minor clouding in the center of the screen, but you cant notice it while watching a movie or tv unless the screen goes completly black.

3. Not sure, I dont have a gaming console.

4. Honestly don't see a difference in SD material comparing it to any other tv.

Edit: Ill post some pictures later today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waxx9299  /t/1494151/official-sony-xbr-55x850a-xbr-65x850a-owners-thread#post_23821258

couple of questions

1. how are the black levels?

2. is there flashlighting on the screen edges?

3. hows input lag? good for gaming?

4. hows the upscaling on SD materials?

pics and vids would be awesome.

thanks !

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarozza  /t/1494151/official-sony-xbr-55x850a-xbr-65x850a-owners-thread#post_23829394

Ordered the Oppo 103d, should have it in a few weeks. Curious how the 4K up scaler inside the bluray player will play out. Very excited and will post about it when I have it.

Hate to ruin it for you but I have the Oppo 103 hooked up to this TV already. The Oppo Upscaler isnt better than the X-Reality Pro that's built in to our TV in my opinion. You'll want to change the resolution settings to "source" so it passes the true source resolution to your TV, otherwise you could be upscaling on top of upscaling. I think the 4k upscaler in the Oppo would really only be useful for a projector that doesn't have built in upscaling. Maybe you'll feel different. It's still a good player but I wouldn't buy it with the intent of upscaling since our TV does that really well already.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxx9299  /t/1494151/official-sony-xbr-55x850a-xbr-65x850a-owners-thread#post_23821258

couple of questions

1. how are the black levels?

2. is there flashlighting on the screen edges?

3. hows input lag? good for gaming?

4. hows the upscaling on SD materials?

pics and vids would be awesome.

thanks !

1. Decent, not great. I turn on the black level enhancer which I think helps

2. Yes, on the top and bottom mostly. Only notice it during movie credits. Id probably say the clouding is worse than the flashlighting.

3. Haven't tried but I heard its like 60ms so not great. I don't see a game mode on this set either but I didn't look that hard.

4. Tried this last night watching Human Trafficking. Much much better than I expected. I don't have anything to compare it to though as this is my first time watching a DVD on an hd display believe it or not. I'm an .mkv or bluray guy. Was definitately watchable. Compared to how my Samsung D8000 LCD upscaled 480i cable broadcasts its considerably better, as that was unwatchable in my opinion.

#7 ·
Does anyone have the 65X850A in stock other than Sony?

I have one on order with a local AV retailer and am curious when they will be hitting the shelves in the local supply chain?

#8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStepAhead  /t/1494151/official-sony-xbr-55x850a-xbr-65x850a-owners-thread#post_23831885

Hate to ruin it for you but I have the Oppo 103 hooked up to this TV already. The Oppo Upscaler isnt better than the X-Reality Pro that's built in to our TV in my opinion. You'll want to change the resolution settings to "source" so it passes the true source resolution to your TV, otherwise you could be upscaling on top of upscaling. I think the 4k upscaler in the Oppo would really only be useful for a projector that doesn't have built in upscaling. Maybe you'll feel different. It's still a good player but I wouldn't buy it with the intent of upscaling since our TV does that really well already.

The oppo 103d has a darbee processor in it vs the 103 marvell which might make a difference

#9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 - 427  /t/1494151/official-sony-xbr-55x850a-xbr-65x850a-owners-thread#post_23833179

The oppo 103d has a darbee processor in it vs the 103 marvell which might make a difference

Wow, this is news to me, I just checked and your right, Oppo 103d has a Darbee in it. That would make a difference for sure with 1080i/1080p content but not 4K.

#10 ·
Just ordered the Sony XBR-55X850A- from Crutchfield-

ETA in about 5 business day since I am in Northern California.

Looking forward to seeing posts on settings that have been tried.

I went ahead and also ordered the Sony FMP-X14K Ultra HD media player - Combined total of $3998 for both shipped.

I had planned to get the 900A but went with this model instead - since I have the surround sound covered already -

How are the 3d glasses that come with these ?

I have the Sony 3D Glasses - PS3- has anyone used these on this model ?

Thanks for any feedback.

#13 ·
Got everything up and running- found that the PS3 Glasses will not sync with the XBR55X850A

4K Media-player install and upgrade was pretty straightforward pretty slim pickins on the 4K site so far- and seriously BAD Teacher as a "freebie"- geesh

Amazing Spiderman & (new) Total Recall look great

Any other recommendation on 3D glasses that will work with these new models-???

The "included glasses" are rather small and do not wrap around leaving poor sight lines unless you hold your head totally straight on to the set.

Are there any soundbars that will allow the pass through on the 3D signal to the TV or from a 3D BluRay player ???

Still open to some recommended settings tweaks

Thanks for any feedback !

#14 ·
I am looking at the Sony XBR-65X850A vs the XBR-65X900A

Can anyone verify for me what the differences are between these two (apart from the external speakers on the 900)?

Are the panels and the internal hardware identical? In other words; is the picture quality (upscaling, motion blur, color calibration, etc...) identical and is it just a question of speakers or no speakers?

I looked at both the 900 and the 850 thread but did not see a clear side-by-side comparison anywhere.

Thank you for your insights.

Edit: never mind. Found a whole discussion on the subject and I now know a lot more about the differences / similarities.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvanosta  /t/1494151/official-sony-xbr-55x850a-xbr-65x850a-owners-thread#post_23896605

I am looking at the Sony XBR-65X850A vs the XBR-65X900A

Can anyone verify for me what the differences are between these two (apart from the external speakers on the 900)?

Are the panels and the internal hardware identical? In other words; is the picture quality (upscaling, motion blur, color calibration, etc...) identical and is it just a question of speakers or no speakers?

I looked at both the 900 and the 850 thread but did not see a clear side-by-side comparison anywhere.

Thank you for your insights.

Edit: never mind. Found a whole discussion on the subject and I now know a lot more about the differences / similarities.

As someone who exchanged the X850 for the X900, there are major differences in the panel. The X850 didn't have a real "pop" to it, but the X900 really stands out. The glossy screen vs matteish screen has to play a huge difference. I would really consider just the X900 even if you have surround sound like I do. The X900 is an amazing TV and have no buyers remorse.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGTR420  /t/1494151/official-sony-xbr-55x850a-xbr-65x850a-owners-thread#post_23897287

As someone who exchanged the X850 for the X900, there are major differences in the panel. The X850 didn't have a real "pop" to it, but the X900 really stands out. The glossy screen vs matteish screen has to play a huge difference. I would really consider just the X900 even if you have surround sound like I do. The X900 is an amazing TV and have no buyers remorse.

The panel response time in the 850 is higher, which means less blurring/ghosting on fast movement. That's what I've heard, anyway.

I'm actually considering going the other way. I have an X9 now, but am thinking about exchanging it for an X850. The "pop" of the X9 looks good at first, but it's pretty easy to see that the colors pop at the expense of accuracy. Considering I use a modified version of the "Cinema" preset, I don't think I'd be missing much. I also like the faster refresh rate for gaming. I'm thinking about ordering one and comparing the two, because I haven't seen the 850 in person.

Can any of the owners in this thread tell me if the screen is glass?

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianMundt  /t/1494151/official-sony-xbr-55x850a-xbr-65x850a-owners-thread#post_23901095

The panel response time in the 850 is higher, which means less blurring/ghosting on fast movement. That's what I've heard, anyway.

I'm actually considering going the other way. I have an X9 now, but am thinking about exchanging it for an X850. The "pop" of the X9 looks good at first, but it's pretty easy to see that the colors pop at the expense of accuracy. Considering I use a modified version of the "Cinema" preset, I don't think I'd be missing much. I also like the faster refresh rate for gaming. I'm thinking about ordering one and comparing the two, because I haven't seen the 850 in person.

Can any of the owners in this thread tell me if the screen is glass?

This is why I'm curious about the input lag on this set. The "glass pop" really is not something I'd miss. I personally like matte screens.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxick  /t/1494151/official-sony-xbr-55x850a-xbr-65x850a-owners-thread#post_23901775

This is why I'm curious about the input lag on this set. The "glass pop" really is not something I'd miss. I personally like matte screens.

Well, I placed my order today, so I'll be able to give a report by the end of the week.

I thought the X9 was pretty good for games. My only complaint was the panel response rate. On a very select few games (Crysis on 360 for example), motion blur was noticeable, though I wouldn't call it a deal-breaker. If this panel has a slightly faster response time, as has been suggested, it should be pretty nice for gaming.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneStepAhead  /t/1494151/official-sony-xbr-55x850a-xbr-65x850a-owners-thread#post_23831911

1. Decent, not great. I turn on the black level enhancer which I think helps

2. Yes, on the top and bottom mostly. Only notice it during movie credits. Id probably say the clouding is worse than the flashlighting.
3. Haven't tried but I heard its like 60ms so not great. I don't see a game mode on this set either but I didn't look that hard.4. Tried this last night watching Human Trafficking. Much much better than I expected. I don't have anything to compare it to though as this is my first time watching a DVD on an hd display believe it or not. I'm an .mkv or bluray guy. Was definitately watchable. Compared to how my Samsung D8000 LCD upscaled 480i cable broadcasts its considerably better, as that was unwatchable in my opinion.

May I ask where you found this info on the 60ms imput lag. Thank you very much.

#20 ·
Saw the X850A today at Best Buy. Was very impressed with the picture, especially after all the complaints it gets around here. To my eyes, the picture had plenty of "pop" to it. Colors were quite rich and vivid. I was also glad to see that this TV does a much better job with motion than the X900A as all the 4K content streaming across it remained clear at all times. It's very obvious the panel on this one is quicker.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDave  /t/1494151/official-sony-xbr-55x850a-xbr-65x850a-owners-thread#post_23915622

Gamers have reported feeling lag when using the X900A.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/review.php?subaction=showfull&id=1376977553

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDave  /t/1494151/official-sony-xbr-55x850a-xbr-65x850a-owners-thread#post_23915622

That guy posted about the 60ms lag in the X900 thread and was shot down quickly, never responded, and jumped on here where no one would correct him. Here are some very reputable review sites that mention lag times much lower than 60ms.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/sony-bravia-kdl-65x9005a_TV_review_performance-and-verdict_Page-3#tr-review-summary

http://www.avforums.com/review/sony-kd-65x9005a-65-inch-4k-ultra-hd-led-lcd-3d-tv-review.573

http://www.digitalversus.com/tv-television/sony-bravia-x9-kd-55x9005a-p15201/test.html

As far as I know, there has only been one review (the one he linked to) that had numbers near those. I can tell you that review is not right. As someone who used the X9 primarily for games, it's a really good set. I did my own tests and my results meshed perfectly with the review numbers. The numbers put the X900 right in the middle of the road for games. There are some sets that are better (none 4K) and many that are much worse.

#22 ·
So have had the TV for about two weeks, I have been using Austin Jerry's settings for the 900a and Sound and Visions for the 900a. I have used Cinemotion on Auto and motion flow either off or at Cinema and not getting Soap Opera effect if I use Cinema. Three things, one this tv has a narrow sweet spot, but when your on the picture is great. The blacks are fine though I sometimes get a look like out of Sin City, like a grainy black ? On some scenes that are like at dusk. Also the Sony Netflix app wow the Super HD really looks good. One last things video games not seeing lag but really will wait to get my PS4 on Friday to really test it

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltw0303  /t/1494151/official-sony-xbr-55x850a-xbr-65x850a-owners-thread#post_23931843

So have had the TV for about two weeks, I have been using Austin Jerry's settings for the 900a and Sound and Visions for the 900a. I have used Cinemotion on Auto and motion flow either off or at Cinema and not getting Soap Opera effect if I use Cinema. Three things, one this tv has a narrow sweet spot, but when your on the picture is great. The blacks are fine though I sometimes get a look like out of Sin City, like a grainy black ? On some scenes that are like at dusk. Also the Sony Netflix app wow the Super HD really looks good. One last things video games not seeing lag but really will wait to get my PS4 on Friday to really test it

Can you post these settings? I've been playing with mine for a little bit and can't seem to get it right, would love to know how you have your's configured. Thanks!

#24 ·
Ok here goes, all credit to AustinJerry

Scene Select Cinema

Pic Mode Cinema 1

Backlight 7

Picture 86

Brightness 50

Color 52

Hue R2

NR off

MPEG Noise off

Dot Noise off

Reality Creation Manual

Video Area Detection Off

Resolution 8

Noise Filtering Min

Smooth Gradation off

Motion flow I have at True Cinema, helps with fast action movies and I do not get Soap Opera effect but your choice

Cinemotion Off

Advanced Setting

Black Correct Off

Adv contrast Medium

Gamma -2

LED Dynamic Standard

Everything Else Off

White Balance

RGain -4

GGain -1

BGain 0

RBias -1

GBias +1

BBias 0

#25 ·

Hi All,

Very impressed with the 850A's except for one feature - the swivel base.   It takes up far too much room on our cabinet and there's not really room for a soundbar.   Has anyone come up with an alternative (other than wall mounting?).  If you did use wall mounting, what is the best bracket?.   Will a different Sony TV base/mount work with the 850A's?

Thanks!

#26 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbite  /t/1494151/official-sony-xbr-55x850a-xbr-65x850a-owners-thread#post_23955706

Hi All,

Very impressed with the 850A's except for one feature - the swivel base.   It takes up far too much room on our cabinet and there's not really room for a soundbar.   Has anyone come up with an alternative (other than wall mounting?).  If you did use wall mounting, what is the best bracket?.   Will a different Sony TV base/mount work with the 850A's?

Thanks!

It looks so much better wall mounted and having all your wires hidden for a more professional look. Mono price sells good universal wall mounts, I don't know why you wouldn't want to?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.