HDTV - Image Problem - Is this reparable? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 10-09-2013, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello folks, hopefully someone here could provide some insights on what has caused this to happen on my TV. Here is a video of the issue that I've started to encounter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d14rol9xSvc

Anyone have any perspective on how good my chances are that this could be fixed cost effectively or am I just better of buying a new TV? I don't want to waste any money trying to figure out if this is fixable (Best Buy house call is minimum $100...).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-10-2013, 12:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Did you try unplugging the HDMI cable, then reconnecting it?
post #3 of 23 Old 10-10-2013, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

The issue persists on all inputs. Game console via Hdmi, coax cable in put etc.
post #4 of 23 Old 10-10-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
You should go to the "Display devices" area for the brand of TV that you have.
That is a panel related problem.
The main Panel or T-Con board most likely (T-Con boards are considered part of the "Panel" by most manufacturers)

A connection problem would probably show much slower changes in the picture.

Sturgeon's Law: "Nothing is always absolutely so."
Sturgeons Revelation: "Ninety percent of everything is crud."
My Thoughts: "A reasoned argument must share some basic common points."
post #5 of 23 Old 10-10-2013, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 235
Is your tv a Samsung? My daughter has the exact same problem. However, it goes away after the tv warms up or if she presses on the bezel around the area of distortion. I'm thinking it's a loose connection somewhere on the panel that either makes better contact once the panel warms up and expands or makes better contact by pressing.
post #6 of 23 Old 10-10-2013, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Sure is a Samsung. I'll push and prod on the case and see if that gives me any luck... unfortunately no matter how long it's on the issue persists.

post #7 of 23 Old 10-11-2013, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

The last time I watched her tv, it took about 20-30 minutes for the pic to settle down by itself and it seems to stay ok for the rest of the evening. However, the T-Con (Timing Controller) board is definitely a possibility.
post #8 of 23 Old 10-12-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked: 344
looks like the bonded tab panel connectors if it changes when you manipulate the panel edge @ the bezel that will conform it . sometimes a couple of DIY remedies posted here and on you tube may repair it on your set I would imagine the connectors are at top pr bottom of panel since lines are vertical

Check out this tread maybe ? http://www.avsforum.com/t/1373343/problems-with-a-sony-kdl-46z4100-3-wide-vertical-bars-of-discoloration

or this one http://www.lcdparts.net/howto/symptom.aspx

could be binded tab panel connectors ?

if you put light pressure on the bonded panel tab connectors at panel or the board and it starts working better that *may be the answer ! You may have to remove front plastic bezel (usually do ) to inspect bonded panel tab connections the panel has it's own frame behind front plastic bezel. good luck!

TABs, or tape-automated bondings, are an integral part of any LCD monitor. These bondings connect the information they receive from the processor (T con board or other display control board ) and send it to the tiny transistors in the panel that create the electrical currents that ultimately affect which colors or if anything you see on screen. A TAB fault -- also called a TAB failure -- happens when these bondings are damaged or otherwise disconnected from the processor.

*usually* tab failure will affect part of screen if only one connector faults but not always .

Read more: http://www.ehow.com/info_12171138_causes-vertical-lines-lcd.html#ixzz2fUKj2ve2

LCD Display Symptoms and causes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DedJvyNm_s4

Then if needed watch playlist
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7556A758748586E9

*************** Cautions *************************

LCD CCFL backlight TV Can have ~700 -1000 + AC working voltage to operate CCFL (florescent tube backlight) take appropriate cautions

Plasma TV also has similarly high working voltages

LCD/LED does not have high voltages other than (like the others) mains voltage at Power supply board

Photo from menber Extreme_Boky's post in thread linked above

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #9 of 23 Old 10-13-2013, 09:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you VERY much for this detailed answer. I'll take my TV apart next week-end and take a closer look at things to see if any of these ideas you've proposed solve the problem. Thanks for your time and effort helping me out.

post #10 of 23 Old 10-17-2013, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Took my TV apart and no visible issues with capacitors... I took out the tapes from their clips (there were two) and reinserted them, same issues.

Going to take my dismantled TV to a repair shop in the morning.

post #11 of 23 Old 10-18-2013, 09:21 AM
AVS Special Member

That's too bad because I was hoping the fix would work so I could try it on my daughter's Samsung. If you get it fixed, post back what the problem was and how it was repaired (replaced T-Con board, what ever).
post #12 of 23 Old 10-18-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

TV is in the trunk of my car, dropping it off at lunch. I'll update this thread when the repair shop gives me news.

post #13 of 23 Old 10-18-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks.
post #14 of 23 Old 10-19-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Repair shop said it wasn't repairable. Said it was most certainly the TABS going into the LCD panel. Possibility that the foam block method mentioned might work for a bit but it would not last.

I recycled my TV...

Bummer.

post #15 of 23 Old 10-19-2013, 08:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Maybe try another brand this time although like most sets it could be anybodys panel not necessarily Samsungs so that's no guarantee actually I've read Samsung mfr. panels are pretty good .
keep us updated to what you get.

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
post #16 of 23 Old 10-20-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Samsung made panels (S-PVA) are good, but it's the quality of the build/installation that is the problem. Guess I won't be fixing my daughter's Samsung after all.
post #17 of 23 Old 10-20-2013, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

I no longer play games or watch THAT much TV where super amazing quality matters to me anymore. So I'm looking to get a cheap 50" TV. I've identified these two models as potentially good $800 options:

http://www1.thebrick.com/brickb2c/jsp/catalog/product.jsp?id=50L4300UC&navAction=jump&navCount=2

http://www.visions.ca/Catalogue/Category/Details.aspx?categoryId=521&productId=21182&sku=TCL50EM60

Unfortunately there are no reviews online that I can find or threads devoted to these models in these forums, so I'm a bit wary. I might end up spending a bit more money or a model that has a good track record, I surmise that these two models are discount models slapped together to move old inventory (which in theory I don't mind... I just need a track record to make me comfortable with my purchase!).

post #18 of 23 Old 10-20-2013, 12:21 PM

try consummer reports
milt9
post #19 of 23 Old 10-20-2013, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

^^^^^ as an additional source of information but certainly not the deciding factor.
post #20 of 23 Old 10-21-2013, 04:36 AM
AVS Special Member

IMO either one should be fine I have good luck with Toshiba (owned one years ago for 10 years no probs . I bought one this year different 2012 model very good bright detailed picture good color ,contrast and detail also .

Couldn't find one on the Panny maybe it's to new seems like the newer Panny LCD's have been getting good reviews maybe you can go see them I think both are good choices to look at ?

To tell you the truth if I was looking for a 50" led these two would be on my shortlist hands down! I would not hesitate on the Toshiba but wouldn't mind seeing Panny and the Toshiba together or even separately either .Are You near a store or no? maybe read the customer review at Amazon and Future Shop /Best Buy

Here is a review of the Toshiba http://reviews.lcdtvbuyingguide.com/toshiba-lcd-tv/toshiba-50l4300u.html

post #21 of 23 Old 10-21-2013, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Scored this guy: http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-L50E60 for a modest $900 CAD (best price I could find was $800 USD on Amazon.com and Vision Electronics wouldn't match an American site...)

Was looking really close at the Toshiba I posted above but I was drawn to the much thinner profile of this new panasonic. Silly me though, I only realized now that the TV is out of the box and being set up that it only has a digital out! I use some kick ass BOSE computer speakers for my home theatre and they need RCA out... FUDGE!!!!! What to do? Use this as an excuse for new speakers?

post #22 of 23 Old 10-22-2013, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member

I would definitely get rid of the Bose. There are much better speakers out there for probably less and they don't have proprietary speaker connectors. Are you using a receiver as well or connecting your speakers directly to the tv?
post #23 of 23 Old 10-22-2013, 10:29 AM - Thread Starter

I've never bothered with the receiver... I've always wanted one but never really been able to justify the purchase as I can funnel all my video sources through my TV via HDMI and then out through the audio out on the TV. My Bose speakers have served me well, I purchased them for my PC many years ago then when I stopped using a desktop PC I pulled them into my living room and hooked them up to my TV. I've been really happy with the sound (though granted I'm not a massive audiophile) and their low profile. I have this setup: http://*******.com/kn78me6.

Looks like I can get a digital audio to RCA converter for about $30:http://*******.com/pzv7dt9. I'll do that for the time being. Once I move into my new house in the new year I'll investigate getting a more robust speaker system for my TV.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page