Sharp LC-50LE650 50-inch Aquos 1080p 120Hz LED - Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 10-10-2013, 08:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Didn't see a thread on this TV so I thought I would start one. Just picked one of these up form Best Buy for $599 plus tax.

I love the way sports and live TV look but the soap opera effect is pretty bad and very noticeable on films and non-reality or live TV shows. I never noticed it much on my old LG LCD so Sharp must really have some powerful processing going on with their TVs.

To get rid of this I went to the display menu / advanced and turned most of the settings "off" for my custom "user" display type. See this thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1375159/sharp-aquos-film-mode-motion-enhancement-and-the-soap-opera-effect

Also, I don't like how you cannot change the display type while you are watching Netflix. Seems strange that they blocked this ability out so you have to first choose what type of display type you want before starting Netflix. A little "too much work" for my wife who just wants to press a button and have everything look perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 01-21-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got mine and noticed a couple of things.

If you use the headphone jack the internal speakers turn off, even if you have speakers on in the menu. A pain for someone like me with an old analog only receiver. A digital to analog audio adapter is on order, so I can use the digital audio output.

The "Individual Setup" menu item only appears when you are set for the antenna input. (Nothing really interesting there anyways - just V-Chip stuff).

I ran out of HDMI ports and hooked up my HTPC via the VGA connector and it looks great.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-07-2014, 06:19 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Has anyone had any success in updating the firmware? I've tried via USB key and over the internet, it finds the new firmware, starts the download/install, then just cancels. I haven't gotten it to work once.
post #4 of 11 Old 06-12-2014, 07:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quessir View Post
Has anyone had any success in updating the firmware? I've tried via USB key and over the internet, it finds the new firmware, starts the download/install, then just cancels. I haven't gotten it to work once.
I'll be trying this tonight and will post back.

My current dilema is trying to get a wireless keyboard to work with the Smart TV. I got a Rii i8, and although the mousepad, arrows, del, back space, enter, etc. buttons work, the qwerty keyboard itself does not work. Has anyone had similar issues or know a fix? TIA
post #5 of 11 Old 06-12-2014, 10:01 AM

Let me know how you get on!

Not sure about hooking up wireless keyboards, I haven't had a reason to try.
post #6 of 11 Old 06-13-2014, 02:27 PM

Well...turns out my firmware is up-to-date (v.2.19), so I don't need to update. I thought about downloading and flashing just to experiment, but it ain't broke, so...

I've tried two wireless keyboards now with the same result - qwerty part doesn't work. The only real use for the kb is when using the Opera web browser in Smart Central mode. Using the remote to navigate the virtual keyboard and type a URL is excruciating! A wireless mouse is the next best alternative since you can bring up the virtual keyboard (press menu on the remote while the cursor is in the web address bar), and then move the mouse around and click on letters one at a time; it goes pretty quickly with the mouse. The Pandora and YouTube apps have their own interfaces for character input, so the kb is of no use in those apps.

The first kb I tried was a Rii i8 mini wireless, which resembles a game controller, but with a full keyboard, mouse touchpad, and directional arrow buttons. It uses a USB dongle. Everything on it works except the kb. The second kb I tried was my wireless kb and mouse from work which also uses a USB dongle. Again, everything worked except the kb itself.

I have now emailed Sharp support asking for examples of wireless kb's that DO work. We'll see if they reply.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-13-2014, 05:24 PM

Liked: 0
that right,The first kb I tried was a Rii i8 mini wireless, which resembles a game controller, but with a full keyboard, mouse touchpad, and directional arrow buttons. It uses a USB dongle. Everything on it works except the kb. The second kb I tried was my wireless kb and mouse from work which also uses a USB dongle. Again, everything worked except the kb itself.thanks
post #8 of 11 Old 06-16-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appmatteach View Post
that right,The first kb I tried was a Rii i8 mini wireless, which resembles a game controller, but with a full keyboard, mouse touchpad, and directional arrow buttons. It uses a USB dongle. Everything on it works except the kb. The second kb I tried was my wireless kb and mouse from work which also uses a USB dongle. Again, everything worked except the kb itself.thanks
I tried a third kb with the same result. This time is was a Logitech K400, but again, same result as with the others. Sharp customer support did reply to my inquiry, but they can't guarantee any particular kb will have full functionality. Interesting that they can make the claim in their FAQs that the TV is "compatible with most USB keyboards", yet they can't name one. How could they make a statement about compatibility without actually finding one that worked?

I have resorted to just using a mouse (actually a trackball mouse) to point-and-click letters in the virtual kb. Using the Opera web browser is very limited. It's pretty slow and hard to navigate. Facebook, in particular, is slow - probably due to FB more than Opera. Certain things crash the browser for no apparent reason. Also, a lot of websites use Adobe Flash for video content, but it is an add-on that can't be installed on the Smart TV version of the Opera browser. And without Adobe Flash, you simply can't see a lot of content.
post #9 of 11 Old 06-26-2014, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjohn84 View Post
Well...turns out my firmware is up-to-date (v.2.19), so I don't need to update. I thought about downloading and flashing just to experiment, but it ain't broke, so...
Strange... I'm not at home atm so I can't confirm, but I'm pretty sure the latest firmware version is 2.4.9 (or 2.49), not 2.19. Where did you get that firmware? Did you download it then stick it on a usb key or did you hook up the tv to your network and it told you itself that this was the latest firmware available?
post #10 of 11 Old 06-26-2014, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quessir View Post
Strange... I'm not at home atm so I can't confirm, but I'm pretty sure the latest firmware version is 2.4.9 (or 2.49), not 2.19. Where did you get that firmware? Did you download it then stick it on a usb key or did you hook up the tv to your network and it told you itself that this was the latest firmware available?
According to the Sharp website, 2.19 is the latest. https://www.sharpusa.com/CustomerSup...um=LC-50LE650U It is what came installed on my TV.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-26-2014, 10:24 AM

Hmm... that's the 650U, whereas I have the 650E (US and Europe respectively, I imagine). Not sure where to go from here...
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Lc50le650e Tv Led 50f Hd 3d 200hz Dvbt Usb Pvr Smart Cl A , 3d Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page