Tips for amping up motion Interpolation on Samsung FH6030? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 10-10-2013, 05:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi folks! I know most people can't stand the "soap opera effect", but for me, it's the whole reason I bought an HDTV last year :rolleyes: Now that I have my Samsung UN55FH6030, I've been messing around with the settings to really try and kick up the MI, but even with it set at "smooth" Auto Motion Plus, motion blur reduction @ 10, and judder reduction @ 10, it's still not quite as strong as I thought it would be...either that or my eyes have just gotten used to it since owning HDTV's over the last year. Or I could just have my settings completely wrong for the strongest MI, I dont know...That's where y'all come in :D, any tips or suggestions are most appreciated!   

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 10-10-2013, 10:38 PM

Liked: 20
I love soap opera effect. I hate it when people who hate it but assume everyone else hates it too.
Anyway when I first saw it I was like whoa that looks so different. Now I can't tell unless I turn it off. So yeah you get used to it. I was watching tv and it looked normal for me but my mom was like i can't stand this it looks like a studio.
Randomoneh and southern bell like this.
post #3 of 16 Old 10-10-2013, 11:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern bell View Post

Hi folks! I know most people can't stand the "soap opera effect", but for me, it's the whole reason I bought an HDTV last year rolleyes.gif  Now that I have my Samsung UN55FH6030, I've been messing around with the settings to really try and kick up the MI, but even with it set at "smooth" Auto Motion Plus, motion blur reduction @ 10, and judder reduction @ 10, it's still not quite as strong as I thought it would be...either that or my eyes have just gotten used to it since owning HDTV's over the last year. Or I could just have my settings completely wrong for the strongest MI, I dont know...That's where y'all come in biggrin.gif , any tips or suggestions are most appreciated!   

There's nothing you can do to increase motion interpolation other than put the settings at their highest point . And yes, you are probably getting used to it.
post #4 of 16 Old 10-11-2013, 03:35 AM

Liked: 20
Why do some shows exhibit SOE more than others? Different frame rates?
post #5 of 16 Old 10-11-2013, 08:21 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the expertise guys :-D. I was afraid of that...I guess after so long your eyes will just about get used to anything. Just curious though, what do y'all have your settings on?
post #6 of 16 Old 10-11-2013, 09:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern bell View Post

Thanks for the expertise guys :-D. I was afraid of that...I guess after so long your eyes will just about get used to anything. Just curious though, what do y'all have your settings on?

Every tv mfr has different algorithms for calculating motion interpolation so settings aren't really transferable across the board from tv mfr to tv mfr. Some do a better job than others. I certainly wouldn't use motion interpolation as my sole deciding factor for my tv purchase. PQ, to me, is much more important than an artificial enhancement feature.
post #7 of 16 Old 10-11-2013, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Pylot View Post

Every tv mfr has different algorithms for calculating motion interpolation so settings aren't really transferable across the board from tv mfr to tv mfr. Some do a better job than others. I certainly wouldn't use motion interpolation as my sole deciding factor for my tv purchase. PQ, to me, is much more important than an artificial enhancement feature.

Yes, I'm with ya on that. We bought our Samsung UN55FH6030 a week ago and I have just been playing around with the settings to see if I could get a more enhanced MI.  I got the TV because of the awesome PQ! It really does have one of the best picture's Ive ever seen!   I do love feeling like I'm on the set the way MI does, though it is by far my determining factor when purchasing a TV.  When I said "it was the only reason I purchased an HDTV", I more or less meant that the HD pictures I had seen before MI were not good enough to make me want to go out and spend that kind of $ on a TV...if that makes sense.

post #8 of 16 Old 10-11-2013, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Cool. Enjoy your set. It's a nice one smile.gif
southern bell likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 10-14-2013, 05:23 AM

Liked: 13
This is the opposite of what I'm experiencing, but I'll ask because we're so close.
How do I turn off this for regular 2D viewing, IMO it's a reason to return the set unless I can find a way to disable everything looking like a cheap 80's soap opera smile.gif
post #10 of 16 Old 10-14-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post

This is the opposite of what I'm experiencing, but I'll ask because we're so close.
How do I turn off this for regular 2D viewing, IMO it's a reason to return the set unless I can find a way to disable everything looking like a cheap 80's soap opera smile.gif

I found the settings thread, and the following setting, but I can't remember seeing these in the menus, I'll have to look deeper tonight, or am I missing a menu section that needs a code?
Quote:
auto motion plus custom
...blur reduction 10
...judder reduction 0
...led clear motion off
post #11 of 16 Old 10-14-2013, 09:10 AM

found it in another thread AND found the menu page I had missed, time to go back and reset the settings tonight and see if it gets it better.
post #12 of 16 Old 10-14-2013, 08:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Switch the auto motion (im not in front of my tv so excuse me if I'm using the correct Samsung terminology) to the "clear" setting and then the judder rediction to 0 and motion reduction to 0 as well... That should turn it off. If not, let me know. There is definatly a way to disable it though.
post #13 of 16 Old 10-14-2013, 08:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

found it in another thread AND found the menu page I had missed, time to go back and reset the settings tonight and see if it gets it better.
Oh good! Sorry about my spotty instructions in my previous post... I knew I was close. And if the settings you found in the other thread don't do the trick, try setting auto motion plus to clear rather than custom.
post #14 of 16 Old 10-18-2013, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Ok guys, to all you MI lovers out there,  I've finally made some progress!  After continuing to mess around with the picture options, I've gotten the best SOE so far. Here are my settings in PO:

Color Tone: Standard

D N F: Auto

MPEG: Auto

HDMI Black Level: Low

Film mode: Auto 1

AMP: Custom - Blur:10-Judder:10

LED MP: On

If you check out thee settings, please let me know if you can tell enhanced MI / SOE :D

post #15 of 16 Old 10-18-2013, 03:04 PM
AVS Special Member

None of those settings, with the exception of AMP (I'm not familiar with LED MP), have anything directly to do with motion interpolation (artificial frame insertion) and its resultant soap opera effect. I would calibrate or accurately adjust your tv to rec.709 standards and then play with the settings that control motion interpolation.
post #16 of 16 Old 12-04-2013, 03:54 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I agree that you definitely get used to the SOE. I really like the effect but swear that it's not working most of the time. I went to Best Buy the other day and saw my exact model (Samsung d8000) with a great looking SOE and then get home and don't see the same on my set. I turned Judder reduction down all the way and turned off Led motion plus for a while, which renders anything be it film, video or even video games unwatchable. After a bit I turn my settings back on to where they were and I can instantly see the SOE like in the store. Give it half an hour and I am already used to it again and wondering if it is even on!

AVR Onkyo 818
Fronts Klipsch RF-62II's
Center Klipsch RC-62II
Sides Onkyo SKR-980's
Sub SVS PB 2000
Blu-Ray Sony Ps3 Screen Samsung UN46D8000
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55fh6030 55 Inch Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page