Vizio M Series compared to Samsung 6300 Series? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 10-13-2013, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I recently purchased, and will soon be returning, a 40" Vizio M Series. The reason for returning it is because it has a strange 'flicker'  in the bottom left part of the screen every minute or so, which apparently might be a common enough defect that simply exchanging for a new unit of the same model # wouldn't solve the problem. I also wasn't that happy with the black levels or flashlighting. Luckily I purchased it from Target so I can just drop it off and get my money back.

I can get (via Amazon Warehouse Deals), a "like new" 40" Samsung 6300 Series for only $100 more than what I'll get back from the Vizio, but it won't come with a manufacture's warranty and I won't be able to return it unless it's completely broken. This would max out my budget but I'm not finding anything else around $500 that's reviewed better than the Vizio I already have (except for the Samsung 6030, which apparently has backlight banding which, imo, is worse than edge flashlighting).

My research keeps pointing me towards the Samsung 6300, but it's out of pricerange unless I go for a "like new" unit from Amazon without a warranty.

Can anyone comment on how much better the picture quality is going to be on the Samsung, so I can decide if it's worth the extra $100 plus risk of no warranty? Unfortunately I'm not finding much to go by with the various professional review sites other than to say that both "have excellent PQ for the money".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I am a former owner of a Vizio M series 50 inch and Current owner of 2 Samsung 46 inch F6300's so I am gonna be very detailed since we are or were in the same boat.

Vizio M Series 50 inch 240hz (3D sucked) so don't even consider it. the Motion and 240hz nature was and is Amazing. at 50 inches it looked massive, the edge bezel made it feel like all picture thinnest bezel I've ever had. Amazing and accurate colors, bright enough for a bright room like mine, mirror glossy finish on the screen will reflect everything. Fantastic build quality. But the remote and its lack of responsiveness will drive you bonkers. Movie watching was fantastic. Gaming, you can actually enable 240hz Smooth motion and maintain Gaming Response time at 33ms. Which is fast enough to play Street Fighter. No smearing or bluring when gaming. an 8 out of 10 for what you get I loved it. CNET rated as having 850 lines of moving resolution when things are moving on screen which is good higher the better

Deal breakers why it got returned. Remote control issues. I like a bright LED LCD and its not very bright. good enough, just could be brighter. . Out of the bix the Display on one side had separated from the TV obvious QC issue. Minor flashlighting I could live with. No clouding rubbed most of it away with a Microfiber cloth.

Loved the Vizio M series it had to go back anyways due to that above mention defect. Would have got another one but then CNET came out with the Samsung F6300 review. Keep in Mind CNET Rates the Vizio M series higher than the F6300 4 Stars vs 3.5 Stars.
So it tried the SAMSINg F6300 (all 46 model version are Samsung high quality panels not 3rd party contractors)

Samsung UN46F6300. Main reason for getting was CNET's review which stated it displays a full 1200 lines of moving resolution when things are moving on screen vs 300 or 600+ for most other LCD TV's, Some how Motion is just handled better by the Vizio But the Samsung is brighter and has better colors. Gaming response time same about 33ms. Oh sound quality is much better on the Samsung as well. Its also much more customizeable and tweakable. CNETS review says when calibrated the Samsung delivers near idea colors the Vizio was slightly more off. but not by much but has better black levels. Smart TV. The Samsung Smart TV options are great. Netflix is all I really care about Both TV's have it. Netflix looks a little better on Samsung because they use some new Codec streaming encoder which makes streamed video load faster and look better. Also the Samsung does a good job or Making SD Cable channels look better the Vizio does just a little less.

Remote control is Awesome backlit and Smart TV buttons

Main gripes of the Samsung F6300, when Gaming has some type of undefeatable Dimming when dark scenes will get darker. And you constantly have to switch Picture settings. One for Gaming, One for Movies, another for HD channels another for Sports.
(with the Vizio it was kinda strange most people just leave it in the GAME setting and adjust it from there, you don't have to switch between picture modes)

Samsung is a Keeper both of them and verified a Samsung made TU02 Panel. No clouding no Flashlighting nothing but perfection.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-15-2013, 11:38 AM

Liked: 32
Ice, which size model of the 6350 from Samsung do you have? I'm trying to determine if its worth paying extra for the 60'' and having to basically tear down my entertainment center to have room for it or just going to the 55'' from my old 50'' Sony rear projection.

I'm also not that picky about color accuracy and what not
post #4 of 6 Old 10-15-2013, 02:39 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I have to say that the 3D quality on my Vizio 55 inch is outstanding - I am LOVING 3d gaming on it (outputting from my PC via some hacks). 3D Movies have looked great too. I am not certain about the smooth motion not increasing input lag - have we seen any confirmed results about that? I know it was discussed in the thread but it appeared to be speculation.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-01-2013, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Just thought I'd follow up...it's been awhile.

After doing some research I picked up a Sony KDL-40BX40, plus a roku. These are both going back for a couple reasons:

1) the Roku isnt as nice as I thought it would be. The universal search fails to find everything ( ie. searching inside individual channels turns up additional results, sometimes a lot more). Also it takes longer to start playing than the vizio, and plays a lower quality stream for a longer period before the Super HD "turns on". Finally, the apps just feel more dated and provide less info onscreen than the Vizio. For example in the Vizio Netflix I can see a list of tv show episodes organized by season. The Roku channel just lists all episodes together forcing me to scroll. Episode titles and other info only appear for a single episode at a time. Basically the Vizio just makes better overall use of the screen IMO. The only thing I liked about the roku is that the interface is a little more responsive, but that's not worth the downsides.

2) the 60hz Sony has better motion handling than the Vizio. Particularly there's no purple trail behind fast moving objects against a dark background. I can't tell the difference otherwise.

3) the Sony's blacks are just as deep, and neither display has problematic clouding or unevenness that I can see.

4) the Sony is much less adjustable than the Vizio,many it's remote isn't backlighted.

5) the vizio has slightly richer sound, however it distorts in loud scenes.

Anyways, I am still looking to replace the Vizio simply due to the purple fringe issue and concerns over the flickering (which has gone away...) being an underlying hardware issue. Unless I can find a streaming box that's better than the Roku, I'll probably be looking at thenSamsung smart tv's. I may try an apple tv with thenSony tv, but probably not. In either case I'll let you guys know.

Btw- aside from the purple fringing I've gotta recommend the Vizio m series to others. I'm just particularly sensitive to this issue...other people don't even seem to notice.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-01-2013, 04:34 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry, that's a Sony KDL-40R450A.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio , Samsung

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page