Samsung UN60F8000 or UN65F7100 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 10-14-2013, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Ok so I've narrowed my choice down to 2 televisions..the Sammy UN60F8000 or the UN65F7100. They are both similarly priced at their respective sizes. So basically it comes down to size over quality or quality over size. I saw both at Best Buy (not side by side) and the F8000 did look slightly better but it could just be psychological since it's the "higher end" model and "should" look better. Was wondering if any of you have seen the two directly side by side for comparison or have had both in your homes for comparison. I know store feeds can effect picture quality and it's not always accurate. I'm leaning towards the 65" because I'd like the bigger screen, but if the F8000 is that much of jump in picture quality I would sacrifice 5".

Side note, I understand the F8000 is quad core and the smart features are quicker to load etc. that's not a big deal to me. I'm strictly interested in PQ. Thanks for any feedback! smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-14-2013, 02:39 PM

Liked: 14
Earlier in the year the reports were that the picture was very close and the micro dimming on the F8000 was better. I think most that post in the F7100 (the one I have) incourage that it be put in movie mode because it disables micro dimming. Not sure what they are saying in the F8000 thread. There is also some talk about what panel you get, with people claiming the ones made by samsung are better (as opposed to sharp or one of the other outsourced ones). I have one of the ones made for samsung by sharp and with a good 1080 signal, it has a very nice picture and very minimal flashlighting and clouding and undetectible banding. Hope this helps.smile.gif
post #3 of 12 Old 10-14-2013, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!
So I just got back from BB and compared the 2 side by side. (55" F8000 and 65" F7100) They were both on dynamic with same brightness, sharpness etc. the F8000's picture was clearly sharper and crisper. Not to say the F7100 didn't have a very nice picture, but you can tell the difference IMO. I'm just not sure I want to downgrade in size as I really wanted the 65". I'll have about a 12' viewing distance. I'm sure if I didn't compare the 2 tv's side by side and brought the 7100 home it would look amazing but the fact I compared is now making the decision that much harder.
post #4 of 12 Old 10-14-2013, 04:54 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bklynblaze View Post

Thanks!
So I just got back from BB and compared the 2 side by side. (55" F8000 and 65" F7100) They were both on dynamic with same brightness, sharpness etc. the F8000's picture was clearly sharper and crisper. Not to say the F7100 didn't have a very nice picture, but you can tell the difference IMO. I'm just not sure I want to downgrade in size as I really wanted the 65". I'll have about a 12' viewing distance. I'm sure if I didn't compare the 2 tv's side by side and brought the 7100 home it would look amazing but the fact I compared is now making the decision that much harder.

Will you be watching in dynamic aka torch mode? If not, then comparing in torch is useless.

1. bring your blu-ray player, your hdmi cable and a blu-ray movie you're familiar with to BB. (now everything is apples to apples)
2. put both in movie mode.
3. if you've done your research here on avs about the two models, bring in a copy of what the owners setting are for each tv and change the BB's tv's to those setting.
4. now compare the picture quality.

You'll see the pq difference and decide between pq vs pq or qp vs size.
Now you've done the research yourself and you'll make the best decision.

PS...."I'm sure if I didn't compare the 2 tv's side by side and brought the 7100 home it would look amazing"
If one wants to run with that logic, then buy the biggest/cheapest screen size you can afford, think Vizio, Sharp, and it will look amazing. Nothing to compare it too at home.
It's like your clock radio sounds fine, till a real stereo plays next to it.
tubetwister likes this.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #5 of 12 Old 10-14-2013, 06:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Good post thumbs up! all good unless Op brings home an insignia or one of the frankenstein brands from walmart or something instead.
both are decent sets IMO.

And to think 10 or 12 yrs yrs back Samsung was peddling budget $250.00 ~32 inch crt sets at walmart that nobody wanted except for
the folks who couldn't otherwise afford anything better. Now they in the big leagues and # 1 volume wise globally as well.
and at the same time debuting their DLP sets .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #6 of 12 Old 10-14-2013, 06:52 PM

Liked: 10
Careful viewing the TV's at BB. I was their last weekend looking at the F7100 and F8000 side by side. They had component ran to the F7100 to make the F8000 look better. Which is was bad tactic on there end cause it made the 55" Vizio for $1000 bucks to right look better than the F7100 as well. I did end up returning the UN60F7100 ver. HH01(Sharp panel) due to flashing lights in all four corners. It also had some minor clouding as well but I could've lived with it.
post #7 of 12 Old 10-14-2013, 10:24 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your input. I pulled the trigger on the 60" F8000. Can't wait to get this beauty set up.
Now the search for surround sound begins. Lol The Yamaha YSP-2200 sound projector looks intriguing. I know it's a sound bar and not true 5.1 but it has received solid reviews.
post #8 of 12 Old 10-15-2013, 01:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked: 352
FWIHR that Sammie F8000 is real nice ! congtats smile.gif

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #9 of 12 Old 10-15-2013, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubetwister View Post

FWIHR that Sammie F8000 is real nice ! congtats smile.gif

Thanks tubetwister! Sacrificing 5" but I feel it's well worth it considering the jump in picture quality. Adjusted both tv's to preferred settings in movie mode (took it out of dynamic mode aka "torch") to judge both tv's fairly and the 65" F7100 just couldn't match the PQ of the 60" F8000. I am blown away by the pq of the F8000, particularly how sharp and clear the picture was and also how white the whites were and the deep blacks. Side by side there is no comparison IMO.

What do you guys use for sound? What is your opinion on sound bars? High end sound bars like the Yamaha YSP-2200 for example...not the cheap tinny ones. Would like to avoid the wiring and clutter of a true stereo system. Obviously there will a downgrade in sound quality but I'm curious if any of you have any experiences with some of the top end sound bars (that claim to reproduce surround sound) and what your opinions are.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-15-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:

Thanks tubetwister! Sacrificing 5" but I feel it's well worth it considering the jump in picture quality. Adjusted both tv's to preferred settings in movie mode (took it out of dynamic mode aka "torch") to judge both tv's fairly and the 65" F7100 just couldn't match the PQ of the 60" F8000. I am blown away by the pq of the F8000, particularly how sharp and clear the picture was and also how white the whites were and the deep blacks. Side by side there is no comparison IMO.

What do you guys use for sound? What is your opinion on sound bars? High end sound bars like the Yamaha YSP-2200 for example...not the cheap tinny ones. Would like to avoid the wiring and clutter of a true stereo system. Obviously there will a downgrade in sound quality but I'm curious if any of you have any experiences with some of the top end sound bars (that claim to reproduce surround sound) and what your opinions are.

Sound-bars have come a long way and they sound good for what they can do.
What they can not do is provide TRUE/ACCURATE 5.1.

Watching a movie where a plane flies from the behind you to the front, a sound-bar can not do. Someone walking behind you, left to right, a sound-bar can not do.
We all have to run wires to the rear speakers and to the sub. Placement of the sub makes a hugh difference. Most place it on the front wall, in the corner. Sounds loudest there, however it will sound muddy/boomy there. Taking the time to find the best place for the sub (even with the sound-bar) will improve or make worse how a sub performs in each room.

There are 5.1 speaker systems that cost the same as a quality sound-bar. However when a 5.1 system is set up, the sound-bar can not touch the surround sound experience of the 5.1.

Remember, sound is half the experience of a HT system.

Anthem D2v, McIntosh MC205, Elite PRO-70X5FD, Oppo BDP-103, Dish hopper, Richard Gray Power Company 400S, B&W Nautilus, JL audio Fathom f113, Harmony One, empty wallet ;>)
post #11 of 12 Old 10-15-2013, 07:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindrewind View Post

Sound-bars have come a long way and they sound good for what they can do.
What they can not do is provide TRUE/ACCURATE 5.1.

Watching a movie where a plane flies from the behind you to the front, a sound-bar can not do. Someone walking behind you, left to right, a sound-bar can not do.
We all have to run wires to the rear speakers and to the sub. Placement of the sub makes a hugh difference. Most place it on the front wall, in the corner. Sounds loudest there, however it will sound muddy/boomy there. Taking the time to find the best place for the sub (even with the sound-bar) will improve or make worse how a sub performs in each room.

There are 5.1 speaker systems that cost the same as a quality sound-bar. However when a 5.1 system is set up, the sound-bar can not touch the surround sound experience of the 5.1.

Remember, sound is half the experience of a HT system.

You are correct. At the end of the day there is no substitute for true 5.1 sound. I went with the Energy 5.1 Take classics with the Yamaha RX-V475 AV receiver. Thanks for knocking sense into me. Lol
post #12 of 12 Old 10-17-2013, 05:50 AM

Quote:

You are correct. At the end of the day there is no substitute for true 5.1 sound. I went with the Energy 5.1 Take classics with the Yamaha RX-V475 AV receiver. Thanks for knocking sense into me. Lol

The Energy 5.1 system is one of the very best bang for the buck HT in a box systems out. Rave reviews from almost every magazine from the very first time it came to market years ago.
I recommended this system to a friend of mine who did not want to spend a lot for speakers. She is very happy she bought it.

The sub is a bit on the small side as is the built in amp (inexpensive ht in a box) so, placement will help out a lot to get the most out of the sub. Corner placement will increase the db output, however it may sound boomy. So try moving it out a couple inches or sideways a couple of inches. The sound will change. Keep playing with locations in the room till you find the best sound for the sitting area.

Congrats and good luck.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page