Forum Jump: 

post #121 of 149 Old 02-02-2014, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1ld3v1lrydr View Post

Yes that is what's causing the echoing sound, but If I turn off the tv speakers then The sound coming from the sound bar doesn't match the mouths of people on the tv. And that's just as annoying.

Ah .. that sucks. I guess I'm lucky that the sound bar we have stays in sync with the pictures. I wonder what causes the delay?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 149 Old 02-03-2014, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHardmanJr View Post

Ah .. that sucks. I guess I'm lucky that the sound bar we have stays in sync with the pictures. I wonder what causes the delay?

Not sure. But I've hooked it up via Optiocal, coaxial and the analog into the cable box, all three had the same effect.

post #123 of 149 Old 02-03-2014, 03:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1ld3v1lrydr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHardmanJr View Post

Not sure. But I've hooked it up via Optiocal, coaxial and the analog into the cable box, all three had the same effect.

The 'Audio' section of a TVs setting will often have an option to add a delay (positive or negative) to the audio feed to address exactly this type of lip-synch issue. Have you looked through all of the options offered by the Audio Menu (this would usually be buried somewhere in the 'Advanced' Section...)?

-fafrd
post #124 of 149 Old 02-03-2014, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomtvdude View Post

Contrast 75
Brightness 40
Color 40
Tint 2
Sharpness 34
Color temp normal
MEMC low
Backlight 75

Transparency off
View mode normal
Noise reduction off
DLC on
Display mode home

Tweaked further:

Contrast 67
Brightness 40
Color 41
Tint 0
Sharpness 16
Color temp normal
MEMC off
Backlight 70

Transparency off
View mode normal
Noise reduction off
DLC off
Display mode home
post #125 of 149 Old 02-04-2014, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

The 'Audio' section of a TVs setting will often have an option to add a delay (positive or negative) to the audio feed to address exactly this type of lip-synch issue. Have you looked through all of the options offered by the Audio Menu (this would usually be buried somewhere in the 'Advanced' Section...)?

-fafrd

From the research I've done and the menus Ive found, nothing has made a difference.

post #126 of 149 Old 02-05-2014, 05:31 AM

Quote:

Tweaked further:

Contrast 67
Brightness 40
Color 41
Tint 0
Sharpness 16
Color temp normal
MEMC off
Backlight 70

Transparency off
View mode normal
Noise reduction off
DLC off
Display mode home

Thanks for both. I was using your first tweak for weeks and thought I'd give your revised a quick try. I looked at a few channels and types of shows on Comcast HD. I went back to your first tweak. Seems a bit more naturally bright. Why do you like the revised version over your first?
post #127 of 149 Old 02-05-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakmaster View Post

Thanks for both. I was using your first tweak for weeks and thought I'd give your revised a quick try. I looked at a few channels and types of shows on Comcast HD. I went back to your first tweak. Seems a bit more naturally bright. Why do you like the revised version over your first?

They are both pretty good in my mind.  The first one has more artificial enhancements via DLC and MEMC.  It looks really nice, but I noticed sometimes it could make a picture look too artificial, and could wash out.  It's still a nice picture though.  I spent a few more days tweaking and got to the second calibration and found it to be more natural and cleaner looking, with more proper coloration.

Btw, if this TV has one flaw, it's displaying darks.  Wow can it artifact and fragment in dark shows.

post #128 of 149 Old 02-05-2014, 08:05 AM

Quote:

They are both pretty good in my mind.  The first one has more artificial enhancements via DLC and MEMC.  It looks really nice, but I noticed sometimes it could make a picture look too artificial, and could wash out.  It's still a nice picture though.  I spent a few more days tweaking and got to the second calibration and found it to be more natural and cleaner looking, with more proper coloration.

Btw, if this TV has one flaw, it's displaying darks.  Wow can it artifact and fragment in dark shows.

Understood. I tend to agree about the darks but overall, I am very pleased...especially for the price paid.
post #129 of 149 Old 02-07-2014, 10:55 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I purchased this tv tried all settings excetra but pic was still horrible . Returned for an lg
55ln5600 and what a difference I am a lot happier now even though it's 5" smalle That's how bad the sharp picture was.
post #130 of 149 Old 02-11-2014, 11:47 AM

I bought this TV on sale at Best Buy on Jan. 22, for $750. It took them almost 2 weeks to get it delivered to my house, but I eventually got it. I've had it about 5 days now, I'm about to go back up to Best Buy to schedule a return. I just cannot accept how poor the picture is. I've tried the settings posted here and playing around with them, but the picture just never is good enough. Video games and blu-ray are both decent, though the blu-ray sometimes looks weird. But Direct TV is just horrible. For instance AMC particularly is awful; I tried watching The Walking Dead the other night and it was just terrible most of the episode. Other channels are so-so. Sports are ok when it's say basketball but the Olympics are terrible. It seems if any show or sport is outside, especially in a bright environment, it's just terrible. 

The only good thing I can say about the TV is the price. If you really just want a 60 inch TV but for whatever reason don't care about picture quality, then get it. Otherwise, throw down the extra $200-$300 for a better model. I've been a loyal Sharp customer for almost 20 years and I'm really disappointed in how bad this tv is. I'm hoping this won't be too much of a hassle in getting it exchanged for a newer model. I don't mind paying more if it means a much better picture.

post #131 of 149 Old 02-16-2014, 08:53 AM

So, if I get this coverter from Radio Shack I'll be able to hook up a soundbar and have the audio come through that even with HDMI inputs on the TV?

post #132 of 149 Old 02-20-2014, 10:39 AM

Hi all.  Does anybody else ever have an issue where the volume bar goes up and down, but the sound doesn't get louder or quieter?  I have to turn off the tv and turn it back on to fix.

post #133 of 149 Old 02-21-2014, 10:19 AM

Anyone use the built in USB? I have a 320gb portable HDD and its saying there is no media device. Any idea on what it needs to be formatted as? Supported formats, etc

post #134 of 149 Old 02-23-2014, 01:16 PM

Is this TV backlit, edge lit or??
post #135 of 149 Old 02-25-2014, 07:00 AM

I bought this TV about 1 month ago and found this thread when I was researching it. Using the mentioned User display settings I find the picture is acceptable on Blu-rays, Xbox and my computer however cable looks pretty bad most of the time with skin tones. It must be the signal from my provider since skin tones on all other sources is acceptable.

I do use a sound bar that only uses optical inputs. I purchased a converter from monoprice similar to the one mentioned from Radioshack however my TV only sends a audio out signal when I am in AV input. According the user guide, you cannot use audio out with HDMI. I called Sharp support to clarify and the guy was trying to tell me my TV had inputs and outputs it didn't. After a few minutes of arguing I got on Sharps website and the TV the show for this model number , LC- 60LE450U, doesn't look like my TV. He then stated there is some law and regulations that prevents audio out ports form working when you use HDMI inputs. At this point my only option is to is to connect my individual components directly to my sound bar through an optical switcher since my sound bar only has two inputs and I have 3 devices.

Also, I have not been able to program my universal remotes to switch inputs. Unlike my Samsung TV's who auto switch to the input you have highlighted i the input list, this TV requires you to press Enter but that button on my universal remote doesn't seem to work for the TV and sends that to my cable box. This may be an issue with my remote but it is rather frustrating.

Despite all this, I still believe the TV is a good buy for $750.
post #136 of 149 Old 02-25-2014, 08:13 AM

I've heard Sharp has good TV's for conference room use. I'm looking for 55" - 60" TV's for our conference room and the Sharp LC-60LE450U seems like a great deal for $750 but after reading the comments here, I'm wondering if it is worth spending the extra $250 for the next Sharp 60" model at BB - the 605).
One of the tvs would be used for watching cable in our office lunch room, so concerned that there could be sound issues and cable issues per other comments here. Good deal but is it worth it or do you spend more. Samsung, LG, and Vizio have been considered as well. Thoughts?
post #137 of 149 Old 02-27-2014, 04:07 PM

So backlit or edge lit??
post #138 of 149 Old 03-01-2014, 03:16 AM

Apple TV looks great on this.  Would make an excellent conference room monitor.  Good wall mount.  I picked one up for $799 and brought a minivan to haul it.  I believe they are clearing out the last of them as this was the second to the last one put by the front door.  

post #139 of 149 Old 03-02-2014, 04:41 PM

The good:

60 inches
Price, well under $800 at Best Buy
Connections
Remote
Easy set up

The bad:

Picture quality is simply poor.

I bought this unit to finish off a a play room remodel. Size was the determining factor. But Bluray (Avatar) looks like a home video or an old soap opera. It is weird. No blacks to speak of. I started a DVD (The Long Goodbye) while working out downstairs. I thought maybe the transfer was bad. But I finished the film later on my older but high end Panasonic plasma and the difference was night and day.

Cable isn't so bad. The Olympics for instance looked pretty reasonable. My kids think the Cartoon Network is certainly fine. But they aren't too discriminating smile.gif

But my take is that if size matters (size always matters!) and picture quality is less important, get this TV. However, if this is going to be your primary viewing television, spend a bit more money and get a much better image.

Bill
post #140 of 149 Old 03-03-2014, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Did you shut-off the memc? Ive said before I bought this tv 10-31-13 for 800.00 & ive seen better pq on tvs but not for the price I paid.Watched Gravity last night the pq was A+,the only problem is the pq with my cable system suxs its only 720p.The reason I got this cheap tv is I was tried of paying 2000-3000 for one & it not lasting 2-3yrs & Ive got too much $ in my projector HT.Keep playing with the pq controls.
post #141 of 149 Old 03-03-2014, 09:10 PM

Thanks for commenting. I'm happy to experiment.

Do you have settings that you recommend?

I hope my old TV doesn't go anytime soon! Still can't believe I spent almost $4,000 for a TV. But especially after calibration, it is simply breathtaking.

It is against this Panasonic that the Sharp comes up lacking - not too terribly surprising I guess.

But I will definitely try any settings you suggest.

Bill
post #142 of 149 Old 03-04-2014, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
look at post 123-125,Ive set mine to there calibrations
post #143 of 149 Old 04-27-2014, 07:36 PM

I found a work around to the DLC ISSUE

It's not better than a firmware update but it works

You must go into the service menu to work

DO NOT MESS WITH SETTINGS YOU DO NOT UNDERSTAND

DLC is set to off in movie mode by default

In order to get picture right

I went into the service menu and adjusted picture settings on movie mode in order for them to save

Input. 2-5-8-0

Go under video quality.

Adjust as necessary in movie mode.

Whether you save the DLC setting I found does not matter in service menu

I do not reccomemd messing with settings you do not understand

I can't. Stress that enough

I hope this helps someone
post #144 of 149 Old 05-02-2014, 08:41 PM

Nice work! This actually works. Using this hack together with the picture settings I posted makes for a great hassle-free picture.
post #145 of 149 Old 05-05-2014, 08:09 PM

This is actually a very good TV I have owned it for a few years now and have never had any problems with it! It is also on the sharp website....http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTV/Archives/LC60LE450U.aspx.... and lastly the reason you are having a hard time finding them is because after they put out the newest model they only want to sell that TV and not the old model(which is practicaly the same TV as the new one, but now much cheaper!)

post #146 of 149 Old 05-17-2014, 06:10 AM

Will the TV play PAL video signal from my multi-region blue ray home theater system or if it is only NTSC do I need to get a separate video converter?  

post #147 of 149 Old 07-23-2014, 08:59 AM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkWonderGirl View Post
<p>Sound quality:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I am so not picky about sound. I actually find the quality quite fine- whether it is standard or using the surround sound feature. The problem is, it won't go up high enough. That is quite disappointing. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>If I do have to add a sound bar, does the TV have the correct audio input to use a sound bar? I keep reading different comments regarding the optical and this one says coaxial digital output. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Sound update: by working with Comcast we were able to find a setting to change output to TV speakers vs a sound system. The thing is so loud now thankfully. Will update with how it does with some movies with a lot of bass. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>2nd sound update- it is great with cable, but sound for USB interface and DVDs is low the way it was before. </p>
PinkWondergirl
Sound update: by working with Comcast we were able to find a setting to change output to TV speakers vs a sound system. The thing is so loud now thankfully. Will update with how it does with some movies with a lot of bass.
Can you share how to change setting output ?
I have the same issues when playing USB the sound is so low.
Bought a sound bar, Then found out the TV does not have optical audio out, No RCA out and do not know what kind of cable I can find from the weird"digital coaxial cable audio" to RCA or optical.
Thanks
post #148 of 149 Old 07-26-2014, 09:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I've been using a lot of the comments on here as a guide and reference for the past couple of weeks and wanted to chime in w/ my $.02. I've had this TV since early February of this year (got it for under $800 via Best Buy's yearly massive Super Bowl deal) and I've really been back and forth on it, as to whether I liked or disliked it, that is until recently. Once the initial wow of a new 60" LED TV wore off (went from a small 37" LED in my very sun-drenched living room to this), I began to be annoyed with the picture quality a bit, and that discomfort continued to grow and grow and is what eventually drove me to this site.

I'm a very big sports fan so I basically use this TV to watch sports and Sportscenter. Also a weekly Blu-ray via Netflix and the occasional game of Madden on PS3, so my clear picture requirements are pretty minimal as compared to others. I began to notice more and more the lack of "crispness" for lack of a better word w/ this TV. Sportscenter's new set really amplified this annoyance as it has a lot of bright, blue background images that caused the picture as whole to look too bright and sort of washed out, if that makes any sense.

I used Peakmaster's settings (both listed above) and really liked the second one that requires DLC to be "off", so I too find the DLC not being able to be permanently turned off thing a huge pain in the ass. I don't want to have to manually go into the menu and turn DLC off each time I turn on the freaking TV, so I began to experiment myself w/ a setting that I liked (based on my TV viewing preferences), that has DLC "on", and I found the settings below to be the best for me.

Based off PeakMaster's 1st setting; tweaked slightly::

Contrast: 60
Brightness: 53
Color: 42
Tint: 0
Color Temp: Normal
MEMC: Off (this makes me very dizzy when its on or low)
Sharpness: 20
Back light: 75

Transparency: OFF
View mode: Normal
DLC: On (b/c you have no choice really)
Display mode: Home

So overall, now that I've finally found a picture setting that I really like based on my TV viewing, I'm done going back and forth and I really do like this TV. The size, the fact that it can give a nice, crisp picture in a sun-filled area like my living room and of course, the price. I'm planning to add a sub and sound bar to this in the near future, and from what I've read, is a-whole-nother monster, but I'll tackle that when I get to it. For the time being, I'm very happy w/ this purchase and this TV.

Hope others find this info helpful. Thanks to previous posters for their thoughts and info as it definitely helped me!
post #149 of 149 Old 07-27-2014, 07:33 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfair2 View Post
I've been using a lot of the comments on here as a guide and reference for the past couple of weeks and wanted to chime in w/ my $.02. I've had this TV since early February of this year (got it for under $800 via Best Buy's yearly massive Super Bowl deal) and I've really been back and forth on it, as to whether I liked or disliked it, that is until recently. Once the initial wow of a new 60" LED TV wore off (went from a small 37" LED in my very sun-drenched living room to this), I began to be annoyed with the picture quality a bit, and that discomfort continued to grow and grow and is what eventually drove me to this site.

I'm a very big sports fan so I basically use this TV to watch sports and Sportscenter. Also a weekly Blu-ray via Netflix and the occasional game of Madden on PS3, so my clear picture requirements are pretty minimal as compared to others. I began to notice more and more the lack of "crispness" for lack of a better word w/ this TV. Sportscenter's new set really amplified this annoyance as it has a lot of bright, blue background images that caused the picture as whole to look too bright and sort of washed out, if that makes any sense.

I used Peakmaster's settings (both listed above) and really liked the second one that requires DLC to be "off", so I too find the DLC not being able to be permanently turned off thing a huge pain in the ass. I don't want to have to manually go into the menu and turn DLC off each time I turn on the freaking TV, so I began to experiment myself w/ a setting that I liked (based on my TV viewing preferences), that has DLC "on", and I found the settings below to be the best for me.

Based off PeakMaster's 1st setting; tweaked slightly::

Contrast: 60
Brightness: 53
Color: 42
Tint: 0
Color Temp: Normal
MEMC: Off (this makes me very dizzy when its on or low)
Sharpness: 20
Back light: 75

Transparency: OFF
View mode: Normal
DLC: On (b/c you have no choice really)
Display mode: Home

So overall, now that I've finally found a picture setting that I really like based on my TV viewing, I'm done going back and forth and I really do like this TV. The size, the fact that it can give a nice, crisp picture in a sun-filled area like my living room and of course, the price. I'm planning to add a sub and sound bar to this in the near future, and from what I've read, is a-whole-nother monster, but I'll tackle that when I get to it. For the time being, I'm very happy w/ this purchase and this TV.

Hope others find this info helpful. Thanks to previous posters for their thoughts and info as it definitely helped me!
Thanks for these. My TV is in our family room which has lots of ambient light... an 8' sliding door and a 3'x4' skylight but this TV holds it's own despite those two sources. I will test these out tonight.
I m still enjoying this TV especially considering the price...$699
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg 42lk520 42 Inch 1080p 120 Hz Lcd Hdtv , Sony Kdl 40r450a 40 Inch Led Hdtv , Sony Kdl50r450a 50 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page