Why does europe get tv's in more sizes? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 10-17-2013, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I would love to get a Sony W900a but I can't fit a 55 inch screen in my living area. I see that UK and other european countries have a 46 inch version. Similar with the Panasonic ST60, we only get a 50 inch option for the smallest size. Everyone else is able to get 42 inch. I never understood why this is.

Is there any possibility of getting a 46 inch Sony W900a in the states?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Sony and Panasonic or not the only manufactures in town. The Sony is an edge lit led lcd and the Panasonic is a plasma. The claims made for the Sony are the same as every other led manufacture. I see sets of the size you are looking for in every store I happen into and online seller I come across. Sony may have the same thing with a deferent model # on it, keep looking and you may find it, or just ask Sony what they have that fits your specks.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:31 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
To answer the OP, I highly doubt there will be any size under the 50"-55" for the W900A. The reason you see more, or different, sizes in Europe, and other over-seas places, is the fact that over the years they have noticed that sales of the higher quality TV in a size smaller than 50" don't sell well in the U.S. For example, starting with the HX909, this set sold in the U.S. in sizes of 46", 55", and one larger. Then, the HX929 came along and mid-way through its life span Sony eliminated the 46" version and kept the larger sizes in this country. Due to the fact that most people getting a set around that size would opt for the less expensive options, like the HX800 or HX802 or HX850, Sony only made something relatively close to the High end sets (W900A and up) but not as close. And, they got rid of that option for here because in a 46" the set across the waters costs more than the 55" here because of the costs of the display panel they would be losing more to sell it at an appropriate pricing scheme for the U.S.
Old 10-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Reasons for the trend towards larger sizes is that prices have come down and bezel sizes have come down, so that today's 55" sets are the same horizontal size as yesterday's 50" sets. And people are finding they want the largest size possible and with lower prices, can afford it. If one mounts it on the wall, almost any size will fit almost any room. As 4K comes in, average set sizes are going to get larger, because you can't see the difference in smaller sizes.

Also, Sony and Panasonic are both "de-emphasizing" TV because they lose money on every set they sell (and Mitsubishi just got out of the business entirely). As a result, we're seeing fewer sizes. I am surprised that those models are available in Europe in smaller sizes, but it might be necessary there because you can't discount electronics in some countries and because of VAT, which makes the products far more expensive than the U.S.

I think we're going to see even fewer choices in 2014.

For 2013, in the U.S., Sony's got 12 lines, 19 models in 10 sizes. Panasonic's got 19 lines (7 plasma and 12 LCD), 38 models (17 plasma, 21 LCDs) in 9 sizes. There are rumors that Panny's going to drop the plasma line, even though that's what they're best known for and where their quality is.

The Sony KDL-nnW802a is available as a 47". Last time I checked, the price was down to $1100 (from $1800 originally). In Panasonic's LCD line, they've got the WT60, E50 and E5 in a 47". In the Plasma line, they've got the S60 available as a 42".

I don't keep track of Samsung models, but they've got a zillion, so check their website for the size you want.