Official Panasonic TC-L65WT600 4k Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 283 Old 10-20-2013, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Greeting All.

Figured it was time to start a Official Owners thread for the new Panasonic WT600 4k Set. Please use this thread to discuss the new Panasonic 4k Set, Settings, impressions and experiences. I will update this initial post with any reviews from web-sites.

Quick Spec Summary (more in the links below):

•4K 60p Input
•HDMI (4K 60p Input)
•DisplayPort™ (4K 60p Input)
•4K Media Player
•4K Fine Remaster Engine
•4K Web Browser
•4K Online Playback

Images of the new Panasonic WT600 4k:

Direct Link to Panasonics TC-L65WT600 Web-Site:
http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/TC-L65WT600

Direct Link to Owners Manual in English:
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TCL65WT600.PDF

Direct Link to Owners Manual in Spanish:
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TCL65WT600-SPA.PDF

Specifications PDF:
http://shop.panasonic.com/docs/spec-sheet/2013/televisions/TC-L65WT600_spec-sheet.pdf

Panasonic, Nvidia, Slightly Mad Studios, Square Enix video discussing 4k Gaming on the Panasonic WT600 4k:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bq4x2TmFjI&feature=player_embedded

-Hawkmoon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 283 Old 10-20-2013, 12:29 PM - Thread Starter

Trusted Reviews First Look at the Panasonic 4k dated 10/16/2013:

http://www.trustedreviews.com/panasonic-tx-l65wt600b_TV_review

-Hawkmoon
post #3 of 283 Old 10-20-2013, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

**Reserved for additional images/links to reviews**

-Hawkmoon
post #4 of 283 Old 10-21-2013, 07:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
post #5 of 283 Old 10-21-2013, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

I got my set this morning and it is fantastic so far. The design of the set itself is very good and I like the illuminated plastic part at the bottom of the screen. I still have not decided if I will leave the light on or off, but right now I have it set to on.

As of right now, hands down this beats out the Sony 4k that this set was replacing. Colors seem more natural and motion seems to be handled a bit better as well. I tested a few movies and T.V. shows that I did on the Sony and everything just seems cleaner and better looking on this set. I used Avatar, Batman Rises, Big Bang Theory Season 6 so far. Up scaling in my opinion seems better on the Panasonic as everything it up scales has a cleaner look. I dimed the room and used the THX Cinema Mode and it was very nice, I also tested THX Bright Room when I let more ambient light into the room and that also was very good. I did test out the 3d with Avatar and while I think Passive is nice because of the lighter glasses, on the Panasonic the 3d seemed more impactful than on the Sony. Unfortunately, the THX Settings are not available in 3d Mode for some reason. When you go to the settings screen when in 3d Mode, the two THX Settings are not even listed. So what I did is used Custom, copying the settings from THX Bright Room plus used the sets default lighting intensity when it goes into 3d to give myself a good balance. It looked good in standard, but thought it looked a lot better when I used custom and inputted the THX Bright Room settings.

I am still fiddling with the set obviously. I had some audio problems with my PC to the set...mainly trying to get 5.1 or 7.1, which proved harder than I thought. Since this set has DIsplay Port, I am using my Graphics Cards Display Port to send a true 4k/60fps image to the set, but I tried to carry the audio via the HDMI on the same GPU and this does not work. Since I did not have a sound card, I ordered one to arrive for tomorrow. For now, I have the PC audio going through the optical out of the motherboard to my receiver to at least use my receivers speakers. Speaking of speakers, the speakers on the Panasonic are nothing to write home about...definitely the 900a Sony 4k's speakers blow these out of the water.

I am going to watch some Monday Night Football shortly running through my Comcast Cable to see how that looks. I did test some Cable earlier and it did look good.

Oh..Gaming at 4k at 60fps! WOW....WOW....WOW!!!
TheTonik and kirk007 like this.

-Hawkmoon
post #6 of 283 Old 10-21-2013, 05:55 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the impressions. Any thoughts on black levels in a dark room and screen uniformity? Input lag when gaming (at 4K or 1080p with consoles)?

Thanks!
post #7 of 283 Old 10-21-2013, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctishue View Post

Thanks for the impressions. Any thoughts on black levels in a dark room and screen uniformity? Input lag when gaming (at 4K or 1080p with consoles)?

Thanks!

I have no way to accurately measure input lag, so it is just by feel. In my opinion and based on the few games I played is that input lag is very good on the set. In 2 racing games I was able to post my fastest lap on 2 different tracks on each game on the first try. Last time I did that was when I tried the 55" 900a Sony (Non-4k) which was recorded as having a very low input lag and I was able to do the same on that set, beat my best lap scores immediately.

-Hawkmoon
post #8 of 283 Old 10-21-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Congrats on being one of the first owners with this set. First impressions seem very positive. I am curious on the Motion Blur with sports, if there is any. I know some feeds aren't the greatest but if you can comment on the good ones wold be appreciated. (Football, Soccer, Hockey) also when you are ready, we would love to see some pics of your new setup.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28'sCenter Channel- Klipsch RC-52Sub - Klipsch Sub 12Surrounds - Klipsch RS-52 II (new)Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3Receiver - Onkyo RC-360HTPC - Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,3 TB,wireless WMC keyboardVideo processor - Darbee
post #9 of 283 Old 10-21-2013, 07:15 PM

Liked: 14
Unfortunate you do not have the Sony X900 side by side to do a fair assessment.
post #10 of 283 Old 10-21-2013, 08:15 PM

How about some pictures with content in your home setup? : )
post #11 of 283 Old 10-21-2013, 08:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroadster158 View Post

True. I did have a little over a month of in home use of the Sony X900, so at least I can make some comparisons between the two. While the best way to do it is side by side, I have been running a lot of the same exact content that I did on the Sony on the Panasonic and so far, almost everything I have fed it I do like the Panasonic a bit more. My fiancée came home from work and I had the Monday Night Football game on (we have seen at least 15 NFL games on the Sony) and she instantly said "wow, that looks a bit better, the colors seem more natural". I am still doing tweaking and stuff, but I am really liking the THX Modes on this set. I did have a Panasonic ZT60 as well and it had the THX modes and I only made some slight adjustments because outside of the box it looked really good and on this 4k it is the same, barely any adjustments.

I can say after playing a few more games on this set that the input lag is much better on the Panasonic. Still doing some testing on 4k gaming as not all games play nice with 4k resolution, but Witcher 2 looked AMAZING!

I will post some pictures tomorrow of the set and my set up.
tlwiz1 likes this.

-Hawkmoon
post #12 of 283 Old 10-21-2013, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Thanks for the impressions, gaming is of primary importance to me when picking a TV so I'm slightly leaning towards the Panasonic over the Sony 900 at the moment. Disappointed about the active 3D but otherwise sounds like a winner, need to check one out soon
post #13 of 283 Old 10-22-2013, 04:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hawkmoon, congrats on your new set!! I have a few questions on it if you would?

1. Would you say the screen is: glossy, semi-gloss, or matte? Also compared to X900?
2. Right now 4K material is pretty non-existent and of significant importance is how well a set upconverts a cable, or Sat feed.
You indicate that the Panny appears to upconvert a little better than the X900. After a few days of watching could you give another
update on your thoughts in this area (HD feed of course- what TV service are you using?)
3. The active glasses that come with the set: How do you think they would be for someone that wears eyeglasses? Are they large
enough to fit over or not?
4. Screen uniformity- any clouding or flashlighting?

Thanks for your initial impressions! Please keep the info coming as you appear to be the only one at this point with that has one of
these sets. I do take donations towards one of these by the way smile.gif.

Thanks again, Gerry
post #14 of 283 Old 10-22-2013, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golem View Post

Thanks for the impressions, gaming is of primary importance to me when picking a TV so I'm slightly leaning towards the Panasonic over the Sony 900 at the moment. Disappointed about the active 3D but otherwise sounds like a winner, need to check one out soon

Same boat as you. Gaming will take up 90% of my usage. But I REALLY wish the Panny went Passive like Sony. Its almost a deal-breaker for me.

Please keep the gaming updates coming! Some screenshots of random things would be nice to see as well (like the Windows resolution window).
post #15 of 283 Old 10-22-2013, 06:01 AM

Congrats also! smile.gif

Question--did you calibrate or just tweak the existing settings?

One reason I'm interested in this 4K set is the DCC connection it is supposed to have (does it?), which Calman can use (which I have).
post #16 of 283 Old 10-22-2013, 06:27 AM

Liked: 20
Are you using NVIDIA, AMD or Intel Graphics on the computer connected to the display?

Does the computer recognize the TV as two 1980 x 2160 displays? or as a single 3840 x 2160 display?

Kit 4K (Database of 4K Displays), Kit 8K (Database of 8K Displays), Kit Display (General Display Information)
post #17 of 283 Old 10-22-2013, 07:03 AM

I hope we don't have to wait too long to get this TV to Finland and maybe see a little price reduction. This WT600 seems to be hitting all the right notes so far. I can't understand why no other manufacturer saw a reason to put DP 1.2 in to their models, seems like a no brainer when HDMI 2.0 wasn't ready yet. PC is the one place where you actually have plenty of content for this and most modern GPUs has the output!?
post #18 of 283 Old 10-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Congrats on the new set!!!!
When you can, please post some pics.

Thanks

Paul
post #19 of 283 Old 10-22-2013, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

I will still post pics, but wanted to advise of some issues with this set. As a avid forum member here for a long time, I do not have issues with being critical of AV equipment. I don't want to scare any potential owners of this new 4k set, but I would not feel comfortable only blowing sunshine up every one's rear end about all the great things about this set and not also talk about the issues I have experienced as one of the few first owners of this set.

I have had this set for a little more than 24 hours and have put about 16 hours into it. I will start with the issues first as I have commented on some of the positives above and will also post a few other good things below.

Here we go....

My particular set is marred by some serious screen issues that I did not notice immediately upon setting up the set. The first, most notable is that there are 4 vertical lines running form the top to the bottom of the screen. The lines are about 8" apart from each other and they appear about 8" or so from the left right of the screen. Going from left to right, there is a thin faint line about 1/4" thick that appears about 8" in from the left side, then about 8" away a second one is visible. There is about a 14-16" space before another line appears and the fourth one appears in the same exact spacing as the first 2. These lines are not apparent when in a dark scene, but are apparent in lighter scenes and are consistent. My fiancée within 10 minutes of watching the NFL game on Monday noticed the lines when the camera was panning left to right. On a White screen without motion, they are clearly visible. Basically in any light colored scene, even light colored flesh tones these lines are apparent.

My particular set also suffers from flashlight in each of the 4 corners of the screen and there are some clouding issues, with 2 very apparent ones in the lower center of the screen. However, these only appear in a light black colored back round. Watching a letterbox movie, where the two center lower clouds appear they are not present in the black bars. While playing games, watching blu ray, cable etc. the clouding and flashlight issues have not been apparent when watching content, it only appears in a light black colored back round.

I am extremely disappointed that I have these issues and have already set up an exchange for it. The clouding/flashlight issues I could deal with as they did not impact the image when watching content, but the vertical lines, no matter what I do are apparent and that is clearly not acceptable. Right now watching a CNN, they had a green screen with a image in the center, to the left and right of the center image the 4 vertical lines were very apparent.

Now, I know that does not sound good, but for anyone that has owned LED T.V's you know that there are issues with the tech. I personally have owned 6 LED TV sets and had some form of clouding and/or flash light issues on all of them and on one had a vertical line issue, so while it is discouraging and unexpected for set of this price range to have all those issues on one set, I will say that this is an anomaly as the display I saw a few weeks ago did not have these issues, especially the vertical lines.

Outside of the issues and I know it will be funny to say this with the problems I am having, the Image quality on the set is outstanding. Colors are vibrant, without being blown out. I mainly been using the THQ Cinema Settings and the THX Bright Room Settings. My fiancée prior to commenting on the vertical lines also felt that the colors and the screen looked better than our previous Sony 4k Set. Gaming at 4k/60fps has been AMAZING via the Display Port on the set. Here are the games that I have tried, some had some issues at first, but finally got them working and all run great: All games are running at full/max settings and at 60fps, in some games had to turn off AA which at 4k resolution it is really not needed.

Star Wars The Old Republic
Sleeping Dogs (AA Turned Off)
Tomb Raider (the new one) - Had to turn off the Tress Effect (hair)
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit
Need for Speed Most Wanted (had to turn off Super sampling)
The Witcher 2 (AA turned off)
Alan Wake
Trine 2 (AA setting lowered)
Crysis 3 (only game that does not hit 60fps, all setting set to max, except for AA which is set to FXAA. Frame rate is in the 40-50 range)
Mass Effect 3
Mass Effect 2
Dishonored
Bioshock Infinite (had to turn down AA)
Sonic All Star Racing

Still testing other games and will report on them later. As mentioned above, I have no way to measure input lag and provide a number, what I can say is that everything is very smooth and very responsive and it seems like the lag is very low on this set. We also watched a few Blu ray movies and they all looked fantastic. While the set uses adaptive 3d, we both found it to be cleaner than the passive 3d on the Sony set and the 3d effect seemed more pronounced. Watching the NFL game last night, we both also noticed how this set seemed to handle motion a bit better than our previous set. I did not notice blurring of fast moving plays or blurring of the football as it was thrown down the field.

As mentioned, while I am extremely disappointed in the screen issues, I do believe that this is a fantastic set. However, if the replacement has the same issues, especially the vertical lines then all the great image quality, input availability (Display Port) and it being the first 4k with HDMI 2.0 will be for nothing if they have quality control issues.

-Hawkmoon
post #20 of 283 Old 10-22-2013, 01:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40

Can you play 4k content via the USB?

The sony can't ...

You are saying that the active 3d of the panny is better than the Sonys'? That is hard to believe ??

How is the simulated 3d on the panny? Compared to the Sony?

post #21 of 283 Old 10-22-2013, 01:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Hawkmoon, sorry to hear about the problems noted- that's a REAL bummer!! So now we are starting out 0-1 on this set as you are the only one
that has one in this thread. When do you expect your replacement set to arrive?
Thanks, Gerry
post #22 of 283 Old 10-22-2013, 01:30 PM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroadster158 View Post

I agree. I most also point out that Hawkmoon seems to go through a lot of sets. smile.gif
That's not a bad thing at all...but to me personally it shows that Hawkmoon is always looking for something to bother him to move onto the "next best thing". Once again I am not knocking this as it's a personal preference but it should be pointed out since every set you switch to is better than the last in your eyes.

We really need a good side by side testing with the same material playing in a duel format.

Once again Hawkmoon I hope you don't take the above comment as a bash it's just important to point out that you are all over the TV landscape with excitement. biggrin.gif

Enjoy the set!! 60fps 4K gaming must be great..I am jealous for now...until my WT600 arrives soon.
post #23 of 283 Old 10-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 40
 Quote:
Originally Posted by NLPsajeeth View Post

Are you using NVIDIA, AMD or Intel Graphics on the computer connected to the display?

Does the computer recognize the TV as two 1980 x 2160 displays? or as a single 3840 x 2160 display?

The Evga titan recognizes the Sony at 3840 x 2160 @ 24fps

I assume the panny will be at 60 fps.

post #24 of 283 Old 10-22-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
The Evga titan recognizes the Sony at 3840 x 2160 @ 24fps

That is because the Sony only supports HDMI 1.4.

The question I am looking to be answered is whether DisplayPort is operating in MST (appears as two 1980 x 2160 displays) or SST (appears as a single 3840 x 2160 display). It was looking like only MST support but now that the TVs are available someone can confirm.

Kit 4K (Database of 4K Displays), Kit 8K (Database of 8K Displays), Kit Display (General Display Information)
post #25 of 283 Old 10-22-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal View Post

I agree. I most also point out that Hawkmoon seems to go through a lot of sets. smile.gif
That's not a bad thing at all...but to me personally it shows that Hawkmoon is always looking for something to bother him to move onto the "next best thing". Once again I am not knocking this as it's a personal preference but it should be pointed out since every set you switch to is better than the last in your eyes.

We really need a good side by side testing with the same material playing in a duel format.

Once again Hawkmoon I hope you don't take the above comment as a bash it's just important to point out that you are all over the TV landscape with excitement. biggrin.gif

Enjoy the set!! 60fps 4K gaming must be great..I am jealous for now...until my WT600 arrives soon.

That sounds fair. But I also must add that if the Sony had Display Port I probably would not have moved on. I have tried several TV's and each has had good and bad things about them. I have now tried 2 4k sets and prior to that I did try the 55" Sony 900 (non 4k), 65" ZT60 and the 70" Sony set. I did have issues with all three of them due to various reasons....ZT60 had IR issues, 55" had clouding issues and the 70" just looked horrid for computer use.

I did love the Sony 4k and like I said, if it had a Display Port I would of not have gotten the Panasonic, but for me as a PC gamer I needed something that could use my existing Computer and the Panasonic was the only option.

Your assessment of looking for something to bother me is not accurate however. Issues I had were noted and the only set that I did get rid of that had no issues was the Sony 4k.

The only side by side I was able to do was at a Store for 2 hours and side by side the Panasonic did look nicer than the Sony. Just my opinion and you can take that as you will. I do wish I had the funds to have both in my home and do a proper side by side, but that is not the case and my opinions are based on what I experienced with the Sony. With that said, the Panasonic does offer something the Sony currently cannot do and that is provide a 4k input at 60fps which until you see it first hand is hard to fully appreciate.

-Hawkmoon
post #26 of 283 Old 10-22-2013, 03:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

That is because the Sony only supports HDMI 1.4.

The question I am looking to be answered is whether DisplayPort is operating in MST (appears as two 1980 x 2160 displays) or SST (appears as a single 3840 x 2160 display). It was looking like only MST support but now that the TVs are available someone can confirm.

It is MST. When you first boot the computer you get two images, side by side of the exact same thing as the Bios boots. Then when the windows logo shows up you also get a side by side of the same image. Once this disappears, the TV gives the "no signal" image, then immediately the Windows's image appears full screen. Going into the "set resolution" screen it appears as one screen. I also confirmed with a guy called Lars (he is the one in the Nvidia video above) and prior to getting the set he confirmed MST as well. Here is what he had to say when I sent him a message via Facebook.:

"Hi John, ah, now I understand. There should be no issues. Some older game engines have issues running at the higher res, but in common, everything just works. But as a general statement, 4K is new and there might be some bugs here and there. But since there's lots of focus on 4K, they should get fixed quickly.

You're right about SST. Problem is, there are no panel display controllers today who can handle DP60 Hz at 4K resolution. This is why all panel makers are using MST today to get to 4K@60Hz. It's expected that such controllers will be ready sometime next year for prototyping. So we think it will take until end 2014 or 2015 until we see SST solutions with 60Hz at 4K res. When the TV arrives, just make sure to have the 331.40 drivers running on the system".

-Hawkmoon
post #27 of 283 Old 10-22-2013, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

The Evga titan recognizes the Sony at 3840 x 2160 @ 24fps

The GTX Titan actually sees the Sony 4k at 3840x2160 at 30fps. Not 24. I tested it a lot when I had the Sony with various games.

-Hawkmoon
post #28 of 283 Old 10-22-2013, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggw2000 View Post

Hawkmoon, sorry to hear about the problems noted- that's a REAL bummer!! So now we are starting out 0-1 on this set as you are the only one
that has one in this thread. When do you expect your replacement set to arrive?
Thanks, Gerry

Hi Gerry. My new set should be here this Friday. Best Buy as really quick to process it to get it here that quick.

I also posted my issues on Panasonic's Facebook and damn are they quick to resolve it as well. I have gotten 2 calls and messages on facebook wanting to ensure that everything is handled quickly and that I get a new set asap. They even offered to handle the exchange themselves, but since BB already set it up, I told them I was going through them. The want me to send them pictures and wanted the serial number so they can get the set back in their tech area to see it first hand.

-Hawkmoon
post #29 of 283 Old 10-22-2013, 03:45 PM

Quote:
It is MST. When you first boot the computer you get two images, side by side of the exact same thing as the Bios boots.

Sigh. Thanks for the confirmation.
Was hoping that since it had HDMI 2.0 4K 60p (as a single stream) support it would have DisplayPort SST support but I guess not.

I doubt people will wait, those who want single stream will simply use an HDMI 2.0 enabled GPU instead of waiting X years for support to come to DP.

post #30 of 283 Old 10-22-2013, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Sigh. Thanks for the confirmation.
Was hoping that since it had HDMI 2.0 4K 60p (as a single stream) support it would have DisplayPort SST support but I guess not.

I doubt people will wait, those who want single stream will simply use an HDMI 2.0 enabled GPU instead of waiting X years for support to come to DP.

I agree. By the time they make single stream Display Port, we will have HDMI 2.0 enabled devices such as GPU's and Receivers etc. Right now, I had to get a sound blaster 5.1 card for my computer since Display Port going straight to the TV will only pass through 2.0 sound. When GPU's and Receivers have 2.0, we can get our video and sound at 7.1 and higher and enjoy single stream via 2.0.

I was completely new to the whole MST and SST prior to getting this set, but it has been really easy, almost plug n play easy and have had almost no issues with several games. Some games require some fiddling because of the resolution, but all in all it has been really easy to get everything going. I was fearing tech issues with MST and issues with games distorting, but it has been smooth sailing on that front.

-Hawkmoon
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page