Is it possible to get a decent 55" or 60" in the $800 range? - AVS Forum
LCD Flat Panel Displays > Is it possible to get a decent 55" or 60" in the $800 range?
mulesqb's Avatar mulesqb 08:08 PM 10-22-2013
It's for family room mostly for the kids. 3D would be great and decent for games. Don't need smart features as they have xbox and ps3. Grateful for any thoughts or guidance..May just wait for Black Friday at this point which is fine. But would even be interested in knowing which model to target. Saw the Samsung fh6030 may be had in that range as well as some Vizios. Think I also saw a Sony..curious for some much needed feedback. Been trolling around for a while.

mulesqb's Avatar mulesqb 07:52 PM 10-23-2013
Figured I'd give it another shot..anyone??
RollTide2011's Avatar RollTide2011 10:42 PM 10-23-2013
You are asking a very subjective question without really defining the criteria. The selection of TVs at the price and size point you are very limited and will require you to look a some of the 2nd tier manufacturers such as LG or Vizio and even Hisense may be worth a look. You are really the only one who can answer your question.
Most of the posters on this forum are spending more money than you are allowing and most are far more critical than the average consumer.
My advice is spend some time at your local box store find a set you like and that fits your budget, buy the extended warranty, and enjoy your tv.
Also you may want to stay away from this forum after you get your new set because we will have you freaking out about things you can't see and you'll never get a moment of pleasure again when watching TV.
Good Luck
colour's Avatar colour 07:12 AM 10-24-2013
Check out the TCL and Hisense brands.
mulesqb's Avatar mulesqb 08:36 PM 10-24-2013
Thanks RT..was kind of hoping someone had already found something in that range. I think what I'm hearing from you is to really wait a few months and save up some more money. Perhaps I can get into the $1,100-$1,200 range.

It's funny what you said about freaking out. I had been more involved in this forum a few years ago and that's exactly what happened. Last year I bought a Panny GT60 and I have made it a point to never go on that thread out of fear I will read something to go find wrong. I love that TV and the picture, so I'm very happy with the purchase.

Thx got taking time to reply to me!
mulesqb's Avatar mulesqb 08:37 PM 10-24-2013
I need to research where to find them but will definitely check it out.

Thx,
WaTaGuMp's Avatar WaTaGuMp 08:42 PM 10-24-2013
I got my UN55FH6030 from Costco for $799 on sale. Solid TV for the price, not sure if Costco will get them back or not, but BB does offer the version for a higher price.
de novo's Avatar de novo 08:57 PM 10-24-2013
I was in Best Buy this week and saw a 55 inch Samsung for $849.00. It's a series 6 but can't recall model number.
WaTaGuMp's Avatar WaTaGuMp 09:31 PM 10-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by de novo View Post

I was in Best Buy this week and saw a 55 inch Samsung for $849.00. It's a series 6 but can't recall model number.

Its the 6030, same one I got from Costco for $799. Currently Costco has the 6003 for $779, pretty sure its the 6030 without the 3D.
colour's Avatar colour 10:45 PM 10-24-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulesqb View Post

I need to research where to find them but will definitely check it out.

Thx,

If you're refering to the TCL (Amazon) Hisense (Walmart)
andy sullivan's Avatar andy sullivan 11:01 PM 10-24-2013
You should be able to find something in the 55" range but probably not a 60". You didn't mention if you want a plasma or a LCD but last weekend at Costco I saw a 65" Panasonic plasma for $1299 which should mean you can find a 55" or 60" in your price range. I wouldn't worry too much about what someone earlier referred to as second tier brands. The two major screen manufactures are LG and Sharp so guess where most of the top tier manufactures are buying their screens, including Sony?. The same can be said for the majority of the other components like video processors etc. With few exceptions it's pretty much a global market.
mulesqb's Avatar mulesqb 06:48 PM 10-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaTaGuMp View Post

I got my UN55FH6030 from Costco for $799 on sale. Solid TV for the price, not sure if Costco will get them back or not, but BB does offer the version for a higher price.

That's the one I saw also?? How do you like it? Is it good for gaming? My boys will be playing their games on it?
mulesqb's Avatar mulesqb 06:50 PM 10-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by de novo View Post

That's exactly what I saw online. Figured it was a good fit for us because it had 3D, no apps and was LCD. I was going to try and go see it as soon asI can.
mulesqb's Avatar mulesqb 06:52 PM 10-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy sullivan View Post

You should be able to find something in the 55" range but probably not a 60". You didn't mention if you want a plasma or a LCD but last weekend at Costco I saw a 65" Panasonic plasma for $1299 which should mean you can find a 55" or 60" in your price range. I wouldn't worry too much about what someone earlier referred to as second tier brands. The two major screen manufactures are LG and Sharp so guess where most of the top tier manufactures are buying their screens, including Sony?. The same can be said for the majority of the other components like video processors etc. With few exceptions it's pretty much a global market.

It's a fairly bright room so I was thinking LCD. I have a plasma in my viewing room and love it. I had thought plasma wasn't great for gaming.
WaTaGuMp's Avatar WaTaGuMp 07:03 PM 10-25-2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulesqb View Post

That's the one I saw also?? How do you like it? Is it good for gaming? My boys will be playing their games on it?

Its a solid TV, cant speak about gaming though.
digmor crusher's Avatar digmor crusher 07:31 PM 10-25-2013
Not unless its a plasma, cheaper plasmas are better than cheap LED'S. Try a Panny 50s60, not 55 inch but a decent set. You'll get better value for your money buying plasma at this price point.
Up
Mobile  Desktop