Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 300 Old 11-30-2013, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelkirzner View Post

I bought this tv and should be receiving it tomorrow morning (Sunday). Instead of pre-bashing the model, I'm going to set it up and reserve judgement til after everything is powered up and good to go.
If the tv is a rebadged Insignia, I really don't care. Did anyone read the reviews for the Insignia equivalent? They're actually pretty positive.
I'm not married to any specific brand... picture quality + price is more important than being brandwashed.
The reality of LCD tv's is that there are probably 5-6 major panel manufacturers. The same panels get branded with different logos all the time.

This! Thanks for this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 300 Old 11-30-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngbimmer View Post

I bailed on this TV guys. I know I ordered it, but I'm returning it as soon as it arrives. Upon investigation, it really is NOT a "Sharp" TV, and at that price point (120hz never really mattered to me), I went to walmart and picked up the Emerson 50" for 300$, and it has great PQ and acceptable SQ. If I'm going to buy a cheap chinese TV, I'm not going to overpay for one pretending to be a superior japanese panel.

I ordered this TV a few days ago (awaiting delivery).. in the grand scheme of things is the tv really that bad? Im using it as a second tv in the man cave for gaming. Unless you plan on hosting movie parties or something like I think its a good deal. Besides who knows how many products have been "badge swapped". Youd be surprised. .
post #93 of 300 Old 11-30-2013, 09:57 PM

Hi

I picked this TV up this Thursday night from BestBuy, installed it yesterday and here is my amateur feedback.

couple issues:

1. I`m mostly watching PC stuff on TV and although I have latest AMD 7660D the TV could not do 120Hz only 60Hz on fullHD. I do not know if it is PC or TV problem. I`m connect trough Display Port from PC to VGA in TV. I have not tested DP to HDMI yest, cable is on the way perhaps it will make any difference.

2. Brightness is low. I`m transitioning from 32" Element so I`m not high tech guy but the difference is noticeable. Although I have back-light at maximum the picture is dark.Can`t help my self.

3. Spots. This is the biggest problem. You can see few pictures below. Corners are dark and also across the whole screen you can see dotted pattern. specially when you start moving white screen in Windows you will notice those spots . Again comparing with my old 199$ Element 32" it is small screen but now spots.

4. Overexposed - if you are familiar with DSLR cameras you know what I`m talking about. Watchig few movies I noticed that the picture is like overexposed as a result the SKY look most of the time overexposed. Probably setup issue but I couldn`t figure out how to reduce highlights. 

Do you see the same spots? you can use white jpeg on usb stick.

UPDATE: this is a feedback from Best buy " 

Your TV has uniformity issues with back lighting...return. That is actually pretty terrible."

GOING to return it

adjusted brightness to show the spots across the screen

post #94 of 300 Old 11-30-2013, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 86
-- This is a TV, not a monitor. As such, it won't accept any input higher than 60Hz. The 120Hz is processed internally (interpolated or repeated frames)

--brightness is generally lower on direct-lit models as compared to edge-lit models

--bright spots are common on most LED TVs.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #95 of 300 Old 11-30-2013, 11:14 PM

Sharp household here so I picked up one of the LC-42LB150U 42" for a bedroom mostly because it was advertised as direct lit.. Spent some time gaming on it and watching TV this weekend, and find it passable for a bedroom TV at the price.

Popped in a WOW disc this evening to see what can be done to get it set up.

Here's the starter attempt to tune this thing for a bedroom (settings are very basic on this model and contrast took a few tries to get something that worked).

Backlight - 40
Brightness - 55
Contrast - 33
Color - 40
Tint - 0
Sharpness - 30
Color Temp - Normal

For tuning purposes.
Dynamic Contrast - Off
Dynamic Backlight - Off

As mentioned before some off angle color shift is noticeable.

Also FWIW it obeys all the Sharp TV codes for universal remotes, not sure if that applies to the Insignia models, if so it appears some homework was done.
post #96 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatuglyguy View Post

-- This is a TV, not a monitor. As such, it won't accept any input higher than 60Hz. The 120Hz is processed internally (interpolated or repeated frames)

--brightness is generally lower on direct-lit models as compared to edge-lit models

--bright spots are common on most LED TVs.

thank you fatuglyguy, here are some pictures showing that you can send 75Hz to the TV but for lower resolution.

Regarding the spots which is my main concern, you say it is a normal but do you know how to find out what spots are still OK and what should be considered as defect ?

post #97 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 09:36 AM

Liked: 11
Just a thought, is it possible Sharp makes the current Insignia brand? Anyone try Sharp remote codes with the Insignia?
post #98 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 10:08 AM

Liked: 15

Three Best Buy dudes just brought the puppy home... should I open it?!? cool.gif
Mike Cee likes this.
post #99 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 11:13 AM

Quote:

Three Best Buy dudes just brought the puppy home... should I open it?!? cool.gif

Yes...you should and please give your thoughts. Mine arrives tomorrow.
post #100 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezer View Post

Just a thought, is it possible Sharp makes the current Insignia brand? Anyone try Sharp remote codes with the Insignia?

I have a sharp remote controller. At least I can confirm this, a sharp remote does work on this TV. With this price, I think I will keep this TV after I saw other low end tv from other brand such as sony. They all have very similar layout on the back.
post #101 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 11:47 AM

Quote:

I'd like to know how's gaming and fast paced scenes? Mine will be here Tuesday.
post #102 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 12:20 PM

I got the tv mounted and up and running.
I have it hooked to a laptop as a HTPC.
Initial thoughts are that the tv is ok, nothing outstanding, but decent for a bedroom tv. Black levels and overall picture quality are ok.

The sound is decent too. I have it in a small lower level room, so it's plenty loud for my needs. I'm noticing some slight lip sync issues, and there is an audio delay setting, so I'll need to look into that.

There is some slight brightness dropoff as you look from an extreme angle. I've also noticed some slightly darker corners, like the previous post mentioned.

I haven't messed with the picture settings, I just zero'd out the sharpness (for a PC) and set everything to "Normal" and at 50%.

NOTE: that you if you have it hooked to a PC, you MUST turn off the "Overscan" setting on the TV.

Some pics below.

Mike Cee likes this.
post #103 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 01:07 PM

Looks great.
post #104 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 02:41 PM

Upon watching the tv a little bit more, I think I'm going to return it.

As the previous poster mentioned, there is uneven backlighting, made worse with all these spots across the entire screen.

The corners and sides are darker, as you can see from some of my pictures.

I have 2 other lcd tvs that don't have perfect backlighting, but neither of them are as bad as this panel.

I didn't expect much for $399...
post #105 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 02:47 PM

Quote:

As the previous poster mentioned, there is uneven backlighting, made worse with all these spots across the entire screen.

I have 2 other lcd tvs that don't have perfect backlighting, but neither of them are as bad as this panel.

Probably just need to tweak the settings.
post #106 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 03:06 PM

I'm going to return this when I get it and get store credit for it. Anyone have any recommendations for a 32-40" TV from Best Buy for $399?

post #107 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 03:16 PM

@Joelkirzner 

what connection cable you are using for your HTPC? I use VGA and the option "overscan" along with others is disabled.

Also it would be great if you can post one more picture with white jpg or background to check my spots with yours :-)

thank you

post #108 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 03:16 PM

I'm trying to set up a Harmony remote to work with this TV, and I'm not having any luck.
It doesn't recognize the model.
It tried to learn "similar" models from pressing some buttons on the original remote, but it doesn't get the input selection correct. It ends up opening the menu instead somehow.

I tried setting the remote to operate an Insignia NS-50E440NA14, but that didn't work at all.
Any ideas?
post #109 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:

From your pics the tv looks good. I guess tomorrow I will see for myself.
post #110 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vendo232 View Post

@Joelkirzner 

what connection cable you are using for your HTPC? I use VGA and the option "overscan" along with others is disabled.

Also it would be great if you can post one more picture with white jpg or background to check my spots with yours :-)

thank you
I'm using an HDMI cable.

Here are two photos with the same settings I posted earlier... 50% and normal throughout. This is a commercial with an all white background. You can see the darkened corners (kind of like a polarizing effect) and the uneven backlighting throughout:

vendo232 likes this.
post #111 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 07:18 PM

Liked: 14
The picture is beautiful on mine but I am having terrible lip sync issues!!! Any one know how to fix it????
post #112 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smp0887 View Post

The picture is beautiful on mine but I am having terrible lip sync issues!!! Any one know how to fix it????

Same here with the lip sync issues... read my earlier post. I tried messing with the "audio delay" setting under the sound option, but that didn't change anything.

My solution was to take down the tv, repackage it and plan to head over to BB tomorrow for a refund...
post #113 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:

I'm using an HDMI cable.

Here are two photos with the same settings I posted earlier... 50% and normal throughout. This is a commercial with an all white background. You can see the darkened corners (kind of like a polarizing effect) and the uneven backlighting throughout:

That looks like the imperfections I had on a 50" Insignia I returned a few months back for that reason.
post #114 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 10:13 PM

This happends to a lot of led's, even higher end ones. http://youtu.be/wG3f5nPz7po
post #115 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 10:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis Lentes View Post

This happends to a lot of led's, even higher end ones. http://youtu.be/wG3f5nPz7po

I will except minimal imperfections and Sony is not high end.
post #116 of 300 Old 12-01-2013, 11:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 86
A Sony W80x could certainly be considered a higher end TV -- especially compared to this Sharp. Sony makes plenty of higher end sets this year -- the W80, W85, W90, X85, & X90 series.

Buying an LED set and expecting very little to no imperfections is almost always asking for a headache.

ht Panasonic TC-P60ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, Radius 90HD; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D
2ch Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Monitor Audio Silver RX1, REL T3, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT
lr Panasonic 50ST60, Sony BDP-S5100
post #117 of 300 Old 12-02-2013, 12:01 AM

Does anyone own 42' version? I am wondering how is lc42lb150u look like? Does its panel look better or not?
post #118 of 300 Old 12-02-2013, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yieeee View Post

Does anyone own 42' version? I am wondering how is lc42lb150u look like? Does its panel look better or not?

UPS said I'm getting mine a day early today, I could get some pictures for you.
post #119 of 300 Old 12-02-2013, 07:01 AM

Hi,

I got the TV delivered y'day and it looks decent overall. Display quality is quite good, nowhere near as good as my previous TV (plasma) but didn't have huge expectations considering the price I was paying. 

I noticed the same issue that vendo232 noticed though : regardless of input (I have a chromecast and my cable connection is currently through RCA cable, I don't have cable from HDMI yet), the screen showed the refresh rate as 60 Hz.. Any ideas about why this might be? I am concerned about whether this actually might be a 60 Hz panel branded as a 120 Hz one...  

post #120 of 300 Old 12-02-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameofthrones View Post

Hi,

I got the TV delivered y'day and it looks decent overall. Display quality is quite good, nowhere near as good as my previous TV (plasma) but didn't have huge expectations considering the price I was paying. 

I noticed the same issue that vendo232 noticed though : regardless of input (I have a chromecast and my cable connection is currently through RCA cable, I don't have cable from HDMI yet), the screen showed the refresh rate as 60 Hz.. Any ideas about why this might be? I am concerned about whether this actually might be a 60 Hz panel branded as a 120 Hz one...  

Look in advanced settings and it has motion enhanchment, that would tell you it has 120hz tech, and what your tv is telling you is what signal it's Recieving, your tv will always display 120hz no matter what.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp Lc50le650e Tv Led 50f Hd 3d 200hz Dvbt Usb Pvr Smart Cl A
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
    Email this Page Email this Page