Budget Seiki SE65JY25 65" 240HZ Back-Lit LED - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 29 Old 10-27-2013, 02:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a 55 to 65" led tv. Starting to like the Vizio M Series, but the jury is still out.
I'm leaning towards 55", but the wife actually is suggesting a larger screen.

Anyhow, to make a long story short, looking around at Sears I stumbled across this model: Seiki SE65JY25.

I realize that these low end models always start to creep in around Black Friday, and adding the fact that there zero reviews means this puppy isn't shipping yet, so the big retailers are probably starting to drop "breadcrumbs" for Search Engine Optimization. There are specs, and some retailers are listing some prices that rival what you'd pay for something like an Insignia 65" 120hz model . I am showing prices and specs come up on Amazon, and Tigerdirect, as well.

You may ask why i'd bother starting a thread? We'll i've been living with a Black Friday special 40" Apex that i've had in my bedroom since 2009, and have been ok with it.

My curiosity is piqued with this model, as it's huge, specs at 240hz (probably applied loosely here), i'm sure many here could live without 3d, and may not need smart features that you can provide through an external streaming box.

Here's a rundown of what i've found, if anyone stumbles across a real review or sees one in the real world, feel free to PM me.

Specifications & Dimensions
Product Overview:
3D Ready:No
General Warranty:1 year parts and labor
Image Brightness:250 cd/m2
3500-5000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
176 degrees (H) x 176 degrees (V) viewing angle
6 ms response time
Monitor Type:LED
Resolution:1080p
Screen Refresh Rate:240Hz
Sound Type:Stereo
Tuner Type:ATSC/NTSC (digital/analog)
Color:
Color:Black
Included with Item:
3D Glasses Included:None
Accessories Included:Remote Control, Battery, User Manual, Quick Start Guide
Stand Included:Yes
Additional Features:
Smart TV:No
Smart TV Control Type:Not a Smart TV
Streaming Content:None
Display, Resolution:
Maximum Resolution:1920 x 1080
Native Resolution:1920 x 1080
Connections:
Audio Inputs, Total Number:1
Audio Outputs, Fixed, Number:1
Audio Outputs, Variable, Number:None
Composite Video Inputs, Number:1
Composite Video Outputs, Number:None
Digital Audio Input Type:None
Digital Audio Output Type:Coaxial
Number of HDMI Inputs:3
PC Input:Yes
S-Video Inputs, Number:None
USB Inputs, Number:1
USB Port Type:Service
Internet Connectivity:
Internet Connectable:No
Certifications:
ENERGY STAR Compliant:No
Dimensions and Weight:
Depth with Stand:12 to 13-7/8 in.
Depth with Stand (in.):13.80
Depth without Stand:3 to 3-7/8 in.
Depth without Stand (in.):3.30
Height with Stand:30 or more in.
Height with Stand (in.):34.50
Height without Stand:30 or more in.
Height without Stand (in.):34.50
Item Weight (lbs.):99
Screen Size:60 or more in.
Screen Size (by diagonal measure):64.5
Width:50 or more in.
Width (in.):58.70
General Information:
Display Menu Language - Display:English, French, Spanish
Product Type - General:LED-backlit LCD TV
Depth - General:13.8 in
Height - General:34.5 in
PC Interface - General:VGA (HD-15)
Width - General:58.7 in
Weight - General:76.9 lbs
Image Aspect Ratio - Display:16:9
Weight (Shipping) - Dimensions & Weight (Shipping):99 lbs
Stand Design - Stands & Mounts:Tabletop
Height (Shipping) - Dimensions & Weight (Shipping):45.9 in
Video Interface - General:Component, composite, HDMI
Width (Shipping) - Dimensions & Weight (Shipping):66.3 in
LCD Backlight Technology - Display:LED backlight - direct-lit LED
Connector Type - Connections:1 x composite video input ( RCA phono ) ¦ 1 x VGA input ( 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ) ¦ 1 x component video input ( RCA phono x 3 ) ¦ 3 x HDMI input ( 19 pin HDMI Type A ) ¦ 1 x digital audio output (coaxial) ( RCA phono )
Depth (Shipping) - Dimensions & Weight (Shipping):9.8 in
Dimensions & Weight Details - Dimensions & Weight Details:Panel without stand - 58.7 in x 3.3 in x 34.5 in x 69.9 lbs ¦ Panel with stand - 58.7 in x 13.8 in x 34.5 in x 76.9 lbs
Dimensions - General:With stand
Supported Computer Resolutions - Video Features:1024 x 768 (XGA), 640 x 480 (VGA), 800 x 600 (SVGA), 1360 x 768, 1920 x 1080
Diagonal Size (cm) - General:165 cm ( 163.8 cm viewable )
Diagonal Size - General:65" Class ( 64.5" viewable )
Input Video Formats - Video Features:480p, 720p, 480i, 576i, 576p, 1080/50i, 1080/50p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 10-27-2013, 03:06 AM

Liked: 37
How much is this this and what is your budget? Other then there 4k tv get something else like another brand tv those bramds you listed are cheap and lack specs for a reason. The vizio m series is fine by the way. But again how much you spending
post #3 of 29 Old 10-27-2013, 07:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
There are 3 off brand of TV's I would take a chance on purchasing, TCL, Hisense and Seiki. I bought a 50" TCL for my bedroom and I'm happy with it. Seeing that you've been happy with an Apex I think you'll probably be content with another off brand. I wouldn't buy an Insignia or a Vizio. Insignia is made of leftover parts and Vizio has a high repair rate. I don't know how Vizio made a name for themselves because they have been what you call a low end model. TCL, Hisense and Seiki may be off brands here in the US but not in other countries.
post #4 of 29 Old 10-27-2013, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

I'm eligible for 24 or 36 month financing offers at Best Buy, Sears, and Amazon, so I have buying power up to $2400 (pre-tax) and would still be able to pay it off before the interest kicks in.

The Seiki is currently listing for $999, and I think this will be a prominent Black Friday Item, so after reading some predictions on dealnews.com, i'm guessing this could come in around $700 by Thanksgiving.

I did want to add that during my research here into LED panels, I've grown to like the concept of a Direct-LED, since I don't care how thin a TV is. Also I hear lots of complaints about blooming and flashlighting, etc with many of the Edge-Lit models, so another plus for Direct-Lit. I will mainly be viewing TV in a dark room.

If this Seiki has decent color saturation and some sort of dimming effect to provide decent blacks, this may work out nicely.

As far as concerns over Vizio, I have taken a quick look at the "Vizio TV Problems" forum on Amazon. Interestingly enough I did find something elsewhere from consumer reports a few years ago stating Vizio had a 3% failure rate, which is about average, but some of the weird problems i'm seeing on that forum don't make the Vizio product line sound good.
post #5 of 29 Old 10-27-2013, 03:45 PM
AVS Special Member

I know people that work at Bestbuy and they said Vizio is number one for repair returns. As for edge lit my 50" TCL is and it's a very clean panel. Samsung and TCL jointly own a panel factory. I returned an Insignia because the panel was really bad. .TCL does make a 58" back lit LED for $779 but I've seen it drop to $549. As with any TV if you can find out how to enter the service menu they can usually be tweaked. I did that with my TCL and every TV I've owned for the past 15 years because out of the box they're not to my liking.
post #6 of 29 Old 10-27-2013, 04:33 PM

Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

I know people that work at Bestbuy and they said Vizio is number one for repair returns. As for edge lit my 50" TCL is and it's a very clean panel. Samsung and TCL jointly own a panel factory. I returned an Insignia because the panel was really bad. .TCL does make a 58" back lit LED for $779 but I've seen it drop to $549. As with any TV if you can find out how to enter the service menu they can usually be tweaked. I did that with my TCL and every TV I've owned for the past 15 years because out of the box they're not to my liking.

You really should not enter the service menu nor should you recommend this. If something goes wrong or it gets stuck good luck trying to get a return or warranty replacement.
post #7 of 29 Old 10-27-2013, 07:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockmanX View Post

You really should not enter the service menu nor should you recommend this. If something goes wrong or it gets stuck good luck trying to get a return or warranty replacement.

This is AVS forum plenty of us enter the service menu that's how we calibrate our own TV's, it's common practice. It's common sense to not make changes without guidance, or if you don't have a clue what you're doing, that's what this forum is for. There's always a method to reset a TV back to factory specs. You have to know how to enter the service menu, it's not just there and I didn't tell the OP how to enter it on whatever TV he decides to purchase. I've entered plenty of service menus and the last thing I'm concerned with is a warranty issue.Some TV's even have an advanced calibration menu accessible by the user which is basically the same as entering the service menu.

If something did go wrong would you be dumb enough to tell them you entered the service menu and messed it up?
KONICA TECH likes this.
post #8 of 29 Old 11-19-2013, 07:14 AM

This TV is now $855 at Sears which seems tempting to me but it would be nice to find some kind of review on it before buying.
post #9 of 29 Old 11-19-2013, 11:49 PM

Get it!!!

You have 30Days to try it out. Not a real problem if Sears is close to you. I bought the 55" 4K and that is my plan. If I do not like it. it goes back before Thanksgiving. Sears does not have these running at their max capability so you can not tell instore how they actually look
post #10 of 29 Old 11-20-2013, 02:46 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcforde View Post

Get it!!!

You have 30Days to try it out. Not a real problem if Sears is close to you. I bought the 55" 4K and that is my plan. If I do not like it. it goes back before Thanksgiving. Sears does not have these running at their max capability so you can not tell instore how they actually look

A review if possible please.
post #11 of 29 Old 11-21-2013, 07:43 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:

There are 3 off brand of TV's I would take a chance on purchasing, TCL, Hisense and Seiki. I bought a 50" TCL for my bedroom and I'm happy with it. Seeing that you've been happy with an Apex I think you'll probably be content with another off brand. I wouldn't buy an Insignia or a Vizio. Insignia is made of leftover parts and Vizio has a high repair rate. I don't know how Vizio made a name for themselves because they have been what you call a low end model. TCL, Hisense and Seiki may be off brands here in the US but not in other countries.
I bought my 3rd Vizio and I have an Insignia.No complaints.

WAP 16.

post #12 of 29 Old 11-21-2013, 09:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod39 View Post

I bought my 3rd Vizio and I have an Insignia.No complaints.

Sometimes people are happy and get lucky with crap.
post #13 of 29 Old 11-21-2013, 02:30 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

Sometimes people are happy and get lucky with crap.
All 3 Vizio's are still going and I also have two 51" Sammy plasma's and don't pretend to be a fanboy of any.If it works and you like it-keep it.Price or brand don't enter in to it.

WAP 16.

post #14 of 29 Old 11-22-2013, 08:32 AM

If someone sees this, post what you think.
post #15 of 29 Old 11-22-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

I honestly think this product doesn't exist, or there is some sort of delay in getting it in stock.

It should have had a review by now.

I've completely ruled this out of my options.

Looking at a Samsung UN60FH6003 (direct lit), or may just go to something good in the $1500 range.
post #16 of 29 Old 11-23-2013, 12:03 AM

Liked: 11
I actually ordered this when it was on sale for 854 on Sears.com. It has been available for me to pick up as of yesterday, but it was raining out, so I didn't get to it. I'll go get it tomorrow and see if I can give some initial impressions once I get it set up.

If I don't like it, I'll just return it and snag the 70" Vizio that Walmart will have for Black Friday. However, that one is edge-lit, and will cost $150 more.
post #17 of 29 Old 11-23-2013, 03:58 PM

Right now I have it hooked up in my living room to my HTPC. Here are my initial impressions - For reference, I'm coming from a Mitsubishi 60" WD-60638 DLP TV:

Out of the box, the colors on this thing are absolutely terrible! I made that conclusion when I had only looked at pictures, but they are all oversaturated with a lot of banding in them. I'm not sure how to describe it other than that, but it looks like my LG Plasma I used to have did when I initially set it up with a calibration I got off the net. So I'm hoping I can adjust it to look decent. With HD videos (The Pioneed Kuro Summer 2008 Blu-ray for example) this is not as apparent, and the picture seems fine. However it has a very digital look to it, if that makes sense. You can also tell that, while "vibrant" looking, the colors are not actually accurate at all.

I have managed to improve the image, but it isn't at a level that I'm satisfied with yet. The picture on my DLP looks much better and more natural than this with very little in the way of adjustment. I'm not sure if it's an issue with the difference between LCD and rear projection DLP technology, and if this is something I would have to live with? If anyone could comment on that I would appreciate it. I also wonder if the extra 5" is just larger to the point that it has caused some loss of clarity given the screen size and the limited resolution of 1920x1080?

I'm going to look for something I can use to calibrate the display using something other than "what I think my photos should look like" along with the Windows 7 screen calibration tool.

Overall, at this moment I am leaning heavily towards this going back in favor of the 70" Vizio that Walmart will have for Black Friday, or just getting a nice projector and building my own screen. I will at least hold onto this long enough to get the Vizio and Seiki side-by-side. Does anyone have a decent picture calibration tool they recommend (yes I will search, but just in case someone feels like saving me the headache of all the sifting) in the meantime?

I'll update this with my impressions once I think I've got it about as calibrated as it will get.
nxsfan likes this.
post #18 of 29 Old 11-23-2013, 11:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks for being the Guinea Pig! smile.gif I really wanted to buy this TV from TigerDirect, but their disgusting returns policy dissuaded me.

I'm in a very similar boat to you, I'm looking to replace the WD-60C9 (almost identical to yours), I very recently replaced the bulb and I was stunned by how bright the TV can be, unfortunately I need something that can be wall mounted. I have a ceiling mounted projector in the same room as the TV and it's great, but frankly it's no replacement for a regular TV for casual news/Netflix.

You should look at the Samsung UN65EH6000 - going for $999 on Amazon.com on Black Friday. I'm very tempted.

For calibration many people buy the Disney WOW bluray.
post #19 of 29 Old 11-25-2013, 12:39 PM

I am in the same boat as espylacopa. I purchased the Seiki from Sears on special, It was a great deal...I got it for $812 plus 10% back in rewards points. However, I am having similar issues with the set. The colors are horrible. Adjusting the backlight level and the colors in the service menu has helped. To get to that menu, push menu then 0000. Correcting the overscan with 24p material in the service menu also helped with clarity.

My real issue is that there is no way to adjust the image processing. There are options in the service menu but I am unaware what they do including MIU SSC and ODCLK SSC. Can anybody help determine what these do? I am still thinking about getting the 70 vizio from Walmart or the 60 Vizio. I also purchased the 60 Dynex at Best Buy, but have not picked it up. I am trying to decide which one to keep.

Also additional helpful information, My seiki panel is the V645H1_PE1, which is made by Chimei Innolux. Allegedly, it is the same panel that is in the SONY XBR-65HX95​0 (http://www.avsforum.com/t/1430346/sony-xbr-hx950-owners-thread-xbr-55hx9-50-and-xbr-65hx95-0/1320).

The Sony had an MSRP of $5,498.00, As such, it we can get this seiki calibrated correctly, It may be amazing.

So, in short any help is greatly appreciated!
post #20 of 29 Old 11-25-2013, 01:30 PM

So after running through a few calibration screens, it appears that the Gamma on the seiki is way out of wack. I cannot adjust it to look good at any value from gamma 1.2-2.4. I am using the test pattern located at http://www.photoscientia.co.uk/Gamma.htm no matter what settings i change the boxes never become gray. They star colored. Does anyone know how to resolve this?
post #21 of 29 Old 11-27-2013, 11:50 AM

homer, I bought this tv as well. What changes have you made so far to get to where you are at? The picture on the Seiki is better than my old sony KDL-55v5100 but not quite where I want it to be. My biggest complaint is the sound. The sound is like the early transistor radios and if I keep it, I will definetly have to get a sound bar.

post #22 of 29 Old 11-27-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutchy32 View Post

homer, I bought this tv as well. What changes have you made so far to get to where you are at? The picture on the Seiki is better than my old sony KDL-55v5100 but not quite where I want it to be. My biggest complaint is the sound. The sound is like the early transistor radios and if I keep it, I will definetly have to get a sound bar.

I gave up, once I was unable to get the Gamma corrected, I figured it was a lost cause. I called Seiki and left a message, but have not heard anything back. With the gamma messed up, and change I made to correct the color clipping resulted in a horrible gray scale...and vice versa, any correction to the grayscale/shadow detail/highlight detail ruined the color accuracy.

So, as of now, I am planning on returning it unless someone can help me resolve the gamma issue.
post #23 of 29 Old 11-28-2013, 02:06 PM

I had a similar issue with the gamma (I also went into the service menu the night I got it set up with no luck). I'm still using the TV, and in fact I left a much longer review of it over on Amazon. I probably should update it again, but last night I noticed a pixel that is intermittently on the fritz. With the other issues I've noticed, I just can't see risking keeping this thing beyond the 30 day period and then deciding that I just hate hate hate it. It's not that bad once you adjust to it, but that's only because I got used to it. It's like meeting an ugly person who overtime grows on you so that they don't look so bad anymore.

If there were more options for adjusting the picture, then this set might have been a keeper, but I just don't see that happening. The other thing that bothers me is that I don't see any way to turn off the frame interpolation. I'm really not a fan of it except for certain material. When watching shows like Family Guy, it adds off character tearing which is annoying.

I will be picking up the Vizio tonight when it goes on sale at Walmart, and hopefully can give some impressions of the two side by side. If all else fails, I think I will just pick up the 55" Hisense I saw at Walmart, because it actually has a really nice picture from what I could tell when looking at it in store. It will be a step down size wise, but I think I'll get over that if the picture looks great.
post #24 of 29 Old 12-26-2013, 10:14 AM

Did anyone else pick this TV up? if so were the color issues able to be worked out? let me know. thanks
post #25 of 29 Old 12-29-2013, 02:33 PM

I went to sears as this was on sale for 900. this thing definitely looked horrible compared to the other tv's around it. this tv is a beast on paper and was hoping this was just the result of bad instore setup but I guess not frown.gif
post #26 of 29 Old 12-29-2013, 03:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 736 Post(s)
Liked: 415
Quote:
colour wrote,

There are 3 off brand of TV's I would take a chance on purchasing, TCL, Hisense and Seiki. I bought a 50" TCL for my bedroom and I'm happy with it. Seeing that you've been happy with an Apex I think you'll probably be content with another off brand. I wouldn't buy an Insignia or a Vizio. Insignia is made of leftover parts and Vizio has a high repair rate. I don't know how Vizio made a name for themselves because they have been what you call a low end model. TCL, Hisense and Seiki may be off brands url="/t/1496679/budget-seiki-se65jy25-65-240hz-back-lit-led#post_23879947"]There are 3 off brand of TV's I would take a chance on purchasing, TCL, Hisense and Seiki. I bought a 50" TCL for my bedroom and I'm happy with it. Seeing that you've been happy with an Apex I think you'll probably be content with another off brand. I wouldn't buy an Insignia or a Vizio. Insignia is made of leftover parts and Vizio has a high repair rate. I don't know how Vizio made a name for themselves because they have been what you call a low end model. TCL, Hisense and Seiki may be off brands here in the US but not in other countries

FWIW. Insignia / Dynex are most recently from ~ 2010 Hisense mfr. not sure who made them before that . The leftover parts thing is likely urban legend. Some used to say Samsung and or LG made them not true at least AFAIK . although an occasional LG or Samsung panel or some Samsung or even LG parts now and then certainly is not impossible that could happen with any brand .

Here is a thing about who makes some various TV's. Most Toshiba's could be made by Compal or Pegatron and most Sony's by Foxconn .
Panasonic will be outsourcing most if not all their new line of LED /LCD sets don't remember from where though .
Quote:
Tom Lo, DIGITIMES Research, Taipei [Friday 13 December 2013]
TPV Technology, Foxconn Electronics, Compal Electronics, Wistron, Amtran Technology and Pegatron will ship 35.95 million OEM/ODM LCD TVs in 2014, increasing 5.3% on year and accounting for 16.9% of global shipments, according to Digitimes Research.

TPV will ship 16.85 million LCD TVs with Philips and Vizio to be major clients, followed by Foxconn with 7.2 million units and Sony to be the major client, Compal with 4.3 million units mainly to Toshiba, Wistron with 3.6 million units mainly to Vizio, Amtran with two million units mainly to Sharp and Vizio, and Pegatron with 1.2 million units mainly to Toshiba, Digitimes Research indicated.

This article is an excerpt from a Chinese-language Digitimes Research report.
http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20131213PD200.html

Sylvania, Emerson, Magnavox, Element ,Apex ,Philips , Symphonic.and others are made by various Chinese ODM . Funai no longer makes some of these sets .

On corp licences RCA brand now from Technicolor , RCA TV's are no longer made by TCL . On corp has the brand since 2010 I don't know who actually makes them
but the quality is supposed to be a lot better now than previously . Sceptre and some Element models are assembled here in US from China knock down kits .

Foxconn the makers of iphone ,HP computers most Sony TV's and many other things is going to be transferring some assy and mfr from Mexico to US To build Foxconn branded and OEM /ODM brands as well Probably plenty of Sony's in the mix . Looks like Visio is mostly Amtran , Wistron ,TPV .

IMO the Seiki TV the OP is looking at with a 250cd/m2 brightness panel may not be so good in a bright room that's on low end of LED LCD TV panel specs. colors may look washed out depending on the black levels present and saturation . I would ether look for another Seiki model or other brand altogether with a 350cd/m2 or better panel. just My opinion .

One thing to keep in mind sometimes discount brand purchasers do not always have a frame of reference to compare a current tier one brand to the discount brand as far as picture quality some may be buying their first modern HDTV for instance and because of that in their reviews might otherwise rate a set much higher than it should be rated.

Maybe the TCL,Hisense,Seiki sets are OK. I can't say from personal experience I 've always owned / own Toshiba ,Sony ,Sharp,Samsung . I Currently own 2012 Samsung and Toshiba an older Sharp and one pitiful 2009 Dynex and am looking to get another Toshiba soon. probably late January or Feb. when prices are good at end of model year . The Visios ,some LG's and Samsungs seem to get decent reviews .

For LED/LCD sets I thought the Samsung ,Sony and Toshiba sets had the best pictures when I was shopping more detail better color ,contrast etc.
followed by the LG sets can't say I saw any Visio sets so no reference there. Seiki would not be on my list from what I have read.
My brand preferences,experiences are already mentioned only one I was unhappy at all with was the Dynex .

Here is an interesting panel # look up site

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
post #27 of 29 Old 05-15-2014, 07:40 PM

Just opened the box and too late to return....bought it "awhile" back.

Bringing up this old thread I am looking for counsel on settings - anyone?

THANK you all in advance.
post #28 of 29 Old 08-07-2014, 09:14 AM

Liked: 0
if anyone is using this TV, I have found the correct color profile
color temp
gain red 131
gain green 123
gain blue 121
offset red 127
offset green 131
offset blue 126

video curve
OSD_50 85
post #29 of 29 Old 08-07-2014, 09:51 AM

How could change the value? In menu, 0000?
Thanks,
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Seiki Se65jy25 65 Inch Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page