1Likes
  • 1 Post By harsubs

post #1 of 24 Old 10-29-2013, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Costco is now selling the Sharp LC80LE642

http://www.costco.com/Sharp-AQUOS-80%22-Class-1080p-120Hz-Smart-LED-HDTV-LC80LE642.product.100078784.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=880650&langId=-1&storeId=10301

Price looks right.

Odd thing -- I can't find it on Sharp's site:

http://www.sharpusa.com/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LCDTV/Models.aspx?facet:screensizefilter=80

Is this a special Costco model number? If so, is the same TV Sharp site?

When I search AVS, I can't find any exact hits either.

Confused.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-30-2013, 04:11 PM

I'm looking for the same information myself.  Looks promising though since it's a full array, although not sure if it's a FALD or not.. doubt it.  

post #3 of 24 Old 10-30-2013, 04:39 PM

Just checked with Costco Concierge Desk and they confirm that the model LE642 was made by Sharp specifically for Costco. That is the reason we cannot find it anywhere else.

I will check the specifications, but I suspect it is similar to model LE 642.

In any event you cannot go wrong by buying at Costco - anything wrong they will take it back. Costco extends the warranty to two years and if you buy with American Express card, American Express adds another year.
post #4 of 24 Old 10-30-2013, 04:57 PM

Just checked the specs vs. Model LE 632: everything seems to be the same, including the weight, except the price, the LE 632 is higher and the Dynamic Contrast Ratio: LE 632 6,000,000:1 LE642 4,000,000:1.

Does this difference make a difference in real world viewing?
post #5 of 24 Old 10-31-2013, 07:16 AM

Probably a dumb question, but would full array on this particular set make it more desirable than any of the current 80" offerings? If I'm not mistaken, the current models on Sharps website are not full array?
post #6 of 24 Old 11-05-2013, 04:14 PM

I also have found this model at my local Sam's club. I am very interested in pulling the trigger on this since it is a full back-lit array vs. the current crop of edge-lit models offered by Sharp and others.

I wonder if this model is a descendant of the 80LE632 or Le80844 (without the 3d processor)? Those models were highly regarded for picture quality and reliability vs. some of the issues of the newer Sharp sets.

Hopefully some others can chime in with their thoughts.
post #7 of 24 Old 11-06-2013, 03:06 PM

Spent some more time looking at what specs I could find - seems to be very similar to the 80LE632U being full array and 120Hz refresh but has a 4M:1 contrast ratio versus the 632's 6M:1. I also noted that the pictures of the 642 show that it uses the same chassis as the 632 as well as the 844 so that may bode well for performance. Sharp does not list anything about this model on their web site so it still remains a bit of a mystery if this is old stock or a special run of sets built for wholesale clubs. There is also very little in the way of information on the set when you Google the model number.

I would be interested in learning more from anyone "in the know".

Will also contact Sharp to see what info they may be able to share.
post #8 of 24 Old 11-08-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjweimer View Post

Spent some more time looking at what specs I could find - seems to be very similar to the 80LE632U being full array and 120Hz refresh but has a 4M:1 contrast ratio versus the 632's 6M:1. I also noted that the pictures of the 642 show that it uses the same chassis as the 632 as well as the 844 so that may bode well for performance. Sharp does not list anything about this model on their web site so it still remains a bit of a mystery if this is old stock or a special run of sets built for wholesale clubs. There is also very little in the way of information on the set when you Google the model number.

I would be interested in learning more from anyone "in the know".

Will also contact Sharp to see what info they may be able to share.

Were you able to find anything out?
post #9 of 24 Old 11-09-2013, 04:23 AM

After a couple of attempts, I was able to speak to someone at Sharp who was knowledgeable enough to point me to their Canadian website where they have downloadable spec and owners manuals for the 642.

Look under the "support and downloads" tab here:

http://www.sharp.ca/en-CA/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LEDTV/LEDTVs/LC80LE642U.aspx

If you compare the specs for the 642 against the 632 (still listed on the Sharp.ca site) you will note they are both listed a back lit displays but differ in display technology. The 642 is listed as just a UV2A panel and the 632 is listed as an X-Gen/Ultra brilliant display. This probably accounts for the difference in contrast ratio but may not matter to most end users.

In hopes of gathering more info I posted to a couple of the other Sharp 80" forums but only managed to stir up debate on whether this is really a back lit set or edge lit. As I mentioned the Sharp info states back lit as does the Costco US site but the Costco CA site lists it as an edge lit set.

At this point I have to believe that the Sharp info is correct but they have been known to make mistakes. I do know from seeing a 642 in person that it shares the same chassis, inputs, etc. with the no longer available 632 which leads me to believe it is really a back lit unit.

I am sure that Sharp cut corners to meet a sub $3k price point - this would explain the difference in display tech - but to me this could be the little brother to the 632 and a good value given the similarities.
post #10 of 24 Old 11-09-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjweimer View Post

After a couple of attempts, I was able to speak to someone at Sharp who was knowledgeable enough to point me to their Canadian website where they have downloadable spec and owners manuals for the 642.

Look under the "support and downloads" tab here:

http://www.sharp.ca/en-CA/ForHome/HomeEntertainment/LEDTV/LEDTVs/LC80LE642U.aspx

If you compare the specs for the 642 against the 632 (still listed on the Sharp.ca site) you will note they are both listed a back lit displays but differ in display technology. The 642 is listed as just a UV2A panel and the 632 is listed as an X-Gen/Ultra brilliant display. This probably accounts for the difference in contrast ratio but may not matter to most end users.

In hopes of gathering more info I posted to a couple of the other Sharp 80" forums but only managed to stir up debate on whether this is really a back lit set or edge lit. As I mentioned the Sharp info states back lit as does the Costco US site but the Costco CA site lists it as an edge lit set.

At this point I have to believe that the Sharp info is correct but they have been known to make mistakes. I do know from seeing a 642 in person that it shares the same chassis, inputs, etc. with the no longer available 632 which leads me to believe it is really a back lit unit.

I am sure that Sharp cut corners to meet a sub $3k price point - this would explain the difference in display tech - but to me this could be the little brother to the 632 and a good value given the similarities.

Thanks so much for that info. The back lit is what has me liking this tv. I'm trying to decide between this and the 75" Samsung at Costco.
post #11 of 24 Old 11-09-2013, 07:04 AM

If this is indeed backlit it has my interest. Especially at $2900
post #12 of 24 Old 11-09-2013, 09:09 AM

Liked: 37
Hmm could of swore it was edge lit look in price for 80" thread slappy posted some stuff
post #13 of 24 Old 11-19-2013, 02:58 PM

Just to follow up with my initial posts, I purchased a 642 last weekend and have been really enjoying the set.

I have not made any changes to the color scale settings but have turned off motion enhancement, OPC (auto brightness), turned on Movie mode and and a few other minor items. I have only watched a handful of Bluray's so far but have been very impressed with color rendering out of the box. I do note that skin tones are just a tad off but a few tweaks should get that straightened out.

Overall I am more than pleased with my purchase given its price point and performance. I hope to get the Xfinity box hooked up in the near future to see how it deals with a compressed signal but don't think it could be a deal breaker considering what I have seen so far.
post #14 of 24 Old 11-21-2013, 06:32 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Interested to hear more responses on this set... my online price at Costco jumped from $2900 to $3100 this morning though! May have to check in store to see if its still at $2900.
post #15 of 24 Old 11-21-2013, 11:03 AM
CJR

So it's sitting here in my basement.

Model # LC-80LE642U on the box and on the back of the unit.

I had an issue with not having a manual so Costco sent me the LC-80LE642U manual. Costco CS said they do not get these directly from Sharp. Looks like they are shipping them down from Costco Canada. Costco is selling them for $3,999.99 CAD up there.
post #16 of 24 Old 11-21-2013, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Can you verify that it is Full array? How thin is the unit? Do you see light bleed on the edges?
post #17 of 24 Old 11-21-2013, 06:12 PM
CJR

Bezel is about 1-9/16" Total 3-29/32"

I really don't see any light bleed.

How do I visually confirm full array?
post #18 of 24 Old 11-23-2013, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have the 632 and I don't know of anyway to tell other than taking the back of the set off and looking for an array of rivets that hold the LEDs strips to the chassis. It is not easy to do and I don't recommend it. If you display solid colors and the picture looks uniformly illuminated I'd say you have a good set whether its full array or edge lit. Enjoy it.

I want this set to full array but I'm beginning to suspect it is edge lit. I was looking at the Best Buy web page and they list it as edge lit.

Bob
post #19 of 24 Old 11-24-2013, 10:04 PM

Liked: 14
Could one of you that actually have the set post up your settings once you get it to your liking? My brother in law is picking up this set and I'd like to have a baseline for getting it going. smile.gif
post #20 of 24 Old 12-13-2013, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 77
If this is the same technology as the 632, I'd be wary. It's back lit but technically not full array. Rather it's a lower cost, low LED count method that should be called direct lit. Not enough LEDs for local dimming. Uses "global" dimming to get high contrast numbers while actually not having great black levels. So, an all black test screen looks fine due to "global" dimming.
post #21 of 24 Old 12-19-2013, 07:24 PM

Found this in the 80LE 632 forum....
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockaway1836 View Post

I had some time to spend with the 642 today. I'm becoming more convinced that it is in fact full array. It may in fact be a better set than the 632. I wall mounted it for my friend today, so I got to spend several hours with it. I watched quite a bit of the NFL channel, with many many highlights, as well as The NBA channel. Not one time did I see any motion blurr at all. This is with it set at 120 high out of the box. I felt no need to make any adjustments in color at all. The only changes I made were turning OPC off, setting the sound up for wall mounted, and turning on Dot to Dot..

I saw zero light bleed. I did see a little bit of dirty whites, and just a hint of some clouding on white shots. I had my friend turn off the lights, and I turned off the Directv receiver. What I saw was more even backlighting than my 632, and far better than my 70-732.

T's TV.jpg 1k .jpg file

I have one for 7 days now and love it.
post #22 of 24 Old 12-21-2013, 06:15 PM

Liked: 11

I am very recently in the market for a larger, i.e., 80", display. In my research I found this site. Great, although overwhelming, information here.

This display is on my research list so after reading some posts on this site, I called Sharp USA twice over the past three days. First call resulted in insufficient information for the Sharp person to give me a definitive answer, but he was leaning toward full back lit array. I called again yesterday and got a very quick, confident "edge lit' response. So, who knows, Sharp should!!!!

Joe

post #23 of 24 Old 02-04-2014, 11:12 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Is this really backlit as the Costco and Sharp.CA sites say?
post #24 of 24 Old 07-20-2014, 08:11 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinj View Post
Is this really backlit as the Costco and Sharp.CA sites say?
Looks like it is - see schematic from service manual in

Sharp LC-80LE642U
jinj likes this.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page