Lost closed captions on component inputs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 10-30-2013, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I recently got enough extra money to buy a larger HDTV. For the past few years, I've been using a 32" Sharp Aquos; very nice set. Last week I bought a 50" LG 50LS4000, in large part because it had separate composite and component inputs. I wanted composite inputs for my old Sony PVR and component for my newer Magnavox PVR. The Magna has HDMI Out, but I've been using the component outputs so the TV would display closed captions when I wanted them. (And exactly whose bright idea was it to not have HDMI carry CC???!!) I prefer to use the CC capability of the TV, because if I turn on CC in the source component (e.g. the Comcast box), then they're recorded in the open on the PVR and I can't choose not to watch them when I view or archive the recording.

Well, things didn't turn out as I expected. The LG is not sensing the CC signal from the PVR. If I switch to the composite input, it sees the signal just fine. So I know that the TV can display CCs when it wants to; it just doesn't want to from the PVR. :-(

This isn't the sort of detail that turns up on specs, so if I decided to return this TV and get another one, how would I know whether it was going to sense CC on its component inputs? My selection of TVs was already narrow due to wanting both composite and component inputs, so I don't know what my odds are of finding one that has that plus CC via component. :-( I would have bought another Aquos, but the smallest one that has both types of analog inputs is 60", which is way bigger than I need (or can fit in the available space).

Any ideas??

Thanks!

Patty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-30-2013, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 264
Moved to display section.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 10 Old 10-30-2013, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Since this posting was moved to the Displays thread, I guess I should ask, does anyone know of a good 50" 2D set that will decode closed captions through the component inputs? Preferably one that also has separate composite and component inputs.
post #4 of 10 Old 10-31-2013, 06:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 73
HD component and HDMI do not carry CC data.
CC is only carried by SD composite or SD/HD-SDI.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-01-2013, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
As sam64 says, component and HDMI do NOT carry the analog closed caption data, it's only available on composite/s-video. The closed caption data on component/HDMI is generated by the set-top box and is part of the picture itself, it's not a separate set of data.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-01-2013, 07:39 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, I know that HDMI doesn't carry CC data, but obviously component can because I had the old TV for three years and was watching CC from my Magnavox recorder. (Without having CC turned on in my cable box. In fact, I don't even know how to turn it on there; I was looking for that option the other day and couldn't find it.)

So is there any way of finding out which TVs can decode the CC coming in on the component inputs? Was my Aquos just a lucky fluke?
post #7 of 10 Old 11-01-2013, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
obviously component can because I had the old TV for three years and was watching CC from my Magnavox recorder. (Without having CC turned on in my cable box.

SD component will carry line 21 CC.
Is the magnavox upconverting?
If it's SD only, why not just use the composite output?
What does this have to do with a cable box?

Perhaps you could post some relevant detail, if you want help[?
post #8 of 10 Old 11-01-2013, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, Sam. The composite input is already in use by my cable box. I guess I could put the HDD/DVDR and the cable box on a switch and use the composite inputs for both, but then I would have to get up every time I wanted to switch between them. :-) Still, it would solve the CC problem more easily than finding another TV that supports CC on the component inputs!

What the Magna has to do with the cable box is that I thought I could turn on CC in my cable box; then, of course, the Magna would pass the CC through to the TV and I could view the captions. But it turns out that my cable box doesn't have a CC option, so I can only view captions on my cable feed when the TV can decode them. Which, with this TV, means only when the cable feed is going through the composite inputs.

What do you mean by "Is the magnavox upconverting"?

p.s. I didn't put a lot of details at first because I just wanted to know which TVs had CC decoders on their component inputs! So it wasn't a question about my setup.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-01-2013, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM64 View Post

SD component will carry line 21 CC.

Correct. I have a Philips DVD player hooked up to my TV via component video, specifically for playing TV-show DVDs that have CC instead of subtitles. I had to set the player's output to 480i (progressive scan "off") to make this work; 480p doesn't carry CC.
post #10 of 10 Old 11-02-2013, 08:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Try plugging the 'y' signal into the composite input on the TV, this will determine if the component signal is actually carrying the line 21 captions.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 50 Inch Led Lcd Tv Trumotion 50ls4000
Gear in this thread - 50ls4000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page