Samsung/Sony 4K vs Flagship 1080p models? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 11-05-2013, 03:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I'll be purchasing a new TV in the next few weeks and am mainly considering the 65" models of the Samsung 8000 and Sony 850a. Money isn't an object (within reason), however, so have also been researching the new 65" 4K models as well. My problem is that in my area there is nowhere to demo any of these TVs, so I have been pouring over the reviews and owner's threads. One thing I'm not clear on, however, is how the 4K TVs compare to the 1080p flagship models in terms of 1080p content. I have an HTPC with a Titan, so I'll be able to make use of the 4K resolution more than most, but a great deal of my time will still be spent watching 1080p content. I'm wondering if the upscaling of 1080p content on the 4K models looks worse/better/similar to the native display of the 1080p models? Also curious about other performance aspects (such as 3D) of the 4K models when compared to the 1080p versions. If anyone has had a chance to demo them in person, or, better yet, owns both, it would be a great help if you could share some opinions/musings/comparisons.

Thanks all, for any assistance that can be rendered. Much appreciated!

Proud owner of a happy pet Cthulhu!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 11-05-2013, 04:35 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 16
Is your viewing distance set in stone? If so, what is it?
Aloe Vera likes this.
post #3 of 15 Old 11-05-2013, 05:31 PM - Thread Starter

No, viewing distance can be adjusted anywhere from 6' to 15'..............and even closer if using video chairs, which we do occasionally, especially for gaming.

post #4 of 15 Old 11-08-2013, 11:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloe Vera View Post

So I'll be purchasing a new TV in the next few weeks and am mainly considering the 65" models of the Samsung 8000 and Sony 850a. Money isn't an object (within reason), however, so have also been researching the new 65" 4K models as well. My problem is that in my area there is nowhere to demo any of these TVs, so I have been pouring over the reviews and owner's threads. One thing I'm not clear on, however, is how the 4K TVs compare to the 1080p flagship models in terms of 1080p content. I have an HTPC with a Titan, so I'll be able to make use of the 4K resolution more than most, but a great deal of my time will still be spent watching 1080p content. I'm wondering if the upscaling of 1080p content on the 4K models looks worse/better/similar to the native display of the 1080p models? Also curious about other performance aspects (such as 3D) of the 4K models when compared to the 1080p versions. If anyone has had a chance to demo them in person, or, better yet, owns both, it would be a great help if you could share some opinions/musings/comparisons.

Thanks all, for any assistance that can be rendered. Much appreciated!

There's very little 4k content out there. You can get some off Youtube using a program called "4k video downloader. The titan will play it no problems via hdmi.

I have the Sony xbrX900a 4k tv, and I can imagine that last years Sony flagship models at 240hz will play 1080 just as well as the 4k tv.

They will certainly be better for gaming.

I bought the new sony 4k tv, because the PQ and color depth were amazing. Also the quality of the PASSIVE 3d and simulated 3d is better than any tv out there, by MILES...it blows me away every time i watch it.

The only thing I do not like is the 65". I want an 80".

Having said all this, there is one tv which REALLY needs credit. When i say the name do not jump out of your seat. The Vizio M series are really excellent, both in PQ and in 3d. When i hear the name Vizio, I get chills, I have a tendency to think they are inferior. You would be surprised to find out that the 80" m series, is just as good as any of last year's Sony and Samsung flagship models. You also get a huge screen!! I do not think you should go for the 4k's now, they will come down in price real soon.

post #5 of 15 Old 11-10-2013, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quovadis123 View Post

There's very little 4k content out there. You can get some off Youtube using a program called "4k video downloader. The titan will play it no problems via hdmi.
I have the Sony xbrX900a 4k tv, and I can imagine that last years Sony flagship models at 240hz will play 1080 just as well as the 4k tv.
They will certainly be better for gaming.
I bought the new sony 4k tv, because the PQ and color depth were amazing. Also the quality of the PASSIVE 3d and simulated 3d is better than any tv out there, by MILES...it blows me away every time i watch it.
The only thing I do not like is the 65". I want an 80".
Having said all this, there is one tv which REALLY needs credit. When i say the name do not jump out of your seat. The Vizio M series are really excellent, both in PQ and in 3d. When i hear the name Vizio, I get chills, I have a tendency to think they are inferior. You would be surprised to find out that the 80" m series, is just as good as any of last year's Sony and Samsung flagship models. You also get a huge screen!! I do not think you should go for the 4k's now, they will come down in price real soon.

Thanks for the response. I was actually wondering if 1080p looked WORSE on the 4K than a 1080p set, not better..........I have heard this may be the case...........

Why better for gaming? Too much lag with the 4Ks?

I'm just happy they HAVE a 65". Last time around he Sony flagship peaked at 55", and the latest high-end model they finally released in 65", the 850, has been downgraded from the previous flagship model. I'd prefer 70+ as well.........

I wish I could check some of these out..........like the Vizio. I believe you, but I just couldn't bring myself to purchase a Vizio without seeing and comparing it to Samsung/Sony.

post #6 of 15 Old 11-10-2013, 03:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 133
I don't own any of the aforementioned TVs, but I have seen all of them with a fair bit of content so I'll try to help out.

In regards to upscaled 1080p content on a 4K Set: For me, it's hard to tell a lot of the time. I can notice a slightly appreciable uptick in quality on the Sony X900A, especially with high quality sources. I haven't spent enough time with the Sony X850A to say, but we can assume it will upscale the same or similar because it uses the same processor as the X900. I do not think the Samsung F9000 upscales as well as the Sony X900A. Blu-Ray content I've seen on it has been softer looking than the Sony, and if I didn't know better, I'd think it was just a 1080p set while watching regular content. Both look great with 4K content obviously, But overall I prefer the Sony and I'm a fan of their Triluminos system.

In regards to 3D: I haven't seen 3D on any of these sets. But, I generally prefer active 3D over passive, and find that Samsung consistently has some of the best-performing 3D overall. The Sony X850A and W850A (1080p) are also active. In general, the performance of active 3D on Sony sets has been below par, but I've read that they've improved for 2013. The Sony X900A, however, is passive 3D. Like I said, I usually prefer active 3D, but I did watch a good bit of Hugo in 3D on the 84" X900A , and it was the absolute best 3D I've ever seen by a wide margin. I'd assume the experience carries over to the 65".

I think it comes down to how long you plan on keeping the TV. You'll be paying a premium of around $2,000 (give or take a few hundred) for a 4K set over a flagship 1080p set. Getting a 4K set may prevent the itch for an upgrade 2-4 years down the line, whereas a 1080p set may become outdated sooner.

ht Panasonic 60" ZT60, Monitor Audio: Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX1; Martinlogan Dynamo 700, Marantz SR5006, PS3, Oppo BDP-103D, Panamax M-5100PM
2ch Sony 32" W650A, Sonus faber Toy Monitor, REL T3, Marantz PM8004, Sony BDP-S1000ES, JVC T-X3 tuner, Apple TV, Peachtree Audio DAC•iT, Panamax MR4300
pc Monitor Audio Radius 90HD, Audioengine D1, FiiO A1
+ Sony 65" XBRX850B, Sony BDP-S5100
post #7 of 15 Old 11-10-2013, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloe Vera View Post

Thanks for the response. I was actually wondering if 1080p looked WORSE on the 4K than a 1080p set, not better..........I have heard this may be the case...........

Why better for gaming? Too much lag with the 4Ks?

I'm just happy they HAVE a 65". Last time around he Sony flagship peaked at 55", and the latest high-end model they finally released in 65", the 850, has been downgraded from the previous flagship model. I'd prefer 70+ as well.........

I wish I could check some of these out..........like the Vizio. I believe you, but I just couldn't bring myself to purchase a Vizio without seeing and comparing it to Samsung/Sony.

The 4k's are now playing games at 24 frames per second, until there is an HDMI 2:0 upgrade at the end of the year on the Sony. After that you will get 60 FPS.

I would wait until CES January, I am sure vizio will come out with some 4k models, that will give everyone else a challenge.

post #8 of 15 Old 11-10-2013, 06:16 AM
Advanced Member

About 1080 looking better or worse, it depends where the feed is coming from.

Feed a tv crap, and it will output crap, no matter what.

The best 1080 is blu ray. They will look great on any set.

Apple tv, looks ok on 1080, nothing to write home about.

Comcast and direct tv, look ok in HD, but pretty bad at 720 or below.

A blu ray should look the same on last years sony model as the new 4k.

They both have triluminous display.

post #9 of 15 Old 11-10-2013, 06:19 AM
Advanced Member

post #10 of 15 Old 11-12-2013, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses everyone!

Yeah, I read those articles............which is the main reason I've narrowed it down to Samsung and Sony if I decide to go 4K. Sony has a firmware upgrade to enable HDMI 2.0 and Samsung a clear upgrade path, albeit less simple/enticing than Sony's.

I'd REALLY like to do some PC gaming in 4K, but am leaning toward going with a 1080p model and letting the 4K scene develop a bit before jumping in.............

post #11 of 15 Old 11-13-2013, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:

The 4k sets convert 1080P blu ray to 3840 x 21602 and if the tech is as good as Sony's (for example) it will look much better than last years model regardless of triluminous.
post #12 of 15 Old 11-14-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
The 4k sets convert 1080P blu ray to 3840 x 21602 and if the tech is as good as Sony's (for example) it will look much better than last years model regardless of triluminous.

So you think the 4K models make Blu-Ray look better due to the upconversion? From what I've heard they look slightly worse than the 1080p models..........but that's why I'm asking for opinions. Have you seen a side-by-side?

post #13 of 15 Old 11-14-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I'm wondering which looks better if given identical Blu-Ray feeds............I've heard the 4K looks slightly softer in a review, but again, would like to hear from those who have been able to compare them in person..............or who own one or the other..............

post #14 of 15 Old 12-13-2013, 10:18 PM

What did you end up buying? I'm actually having the same dilemma as you at this time. Not sure if I should plop down the extra dough for 4k tv that has so little content right now, but if I go for a 1080p flagship model, I might have the itch to buy again a year later.... rolleyes.gif
post #15 of 15 Old 12-20-2013, 08:04 AM

good idea,I should plop down the extra dough for 4k tv that has so little content right now, but if I go for a 1080p flagship model,thank you

ec5F

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un65es8000 Led Hdtv , Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led , Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page