Advice on LED choices with no smart tv and 3d options - will be used for xbox one and streaming from pc - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 11-08-2013, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hello AVS Forums,

I was directed to this community by some helpful users over at CNET forums.

I am in the process of purchasing a new LED HDTV and I am now looking into options of multi system and American TV's, since I will be moving abroad in about a year.

My research so far into the 2013 product lineups have left me with a feeling that pretty much all of the high-end and good quality models force the buyer to get 3d and smart tv capabilities. I am looking for a system which I will hook up the cable tv to watch channels and stream from my high-end pc to watch movies. I will also be using xbox one so I am also interested in an option with low input lag. 

Is there a TV within the 55-65 inch range that this community can recommend to me, with excellent display quality WITHOUT any 3d and smart tv capabilities? Am I right in my crusade to find such a tv to save costs, or is the market now shaped in such a way that it really won't bring much savings in the end?

Finally, apart from American market TV's, if you have any multi-system TV recommendations for the setup I explained above, I would also be very happy to hear those as well.

Thanks in advance,

Sertac

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-08-2013, 07:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 113

I don't have answers, but some questions that may help others answer.

What specific country are you moving from, and what specific country are you moving to? ("America" is too ambiguous; people in other countries than the United States of America on the American continents also consider themselves Americans.)

In which country do you intend to buy the TV?

How do you intend to ship the TV? There seems to be an abundance of horror stories because a HDTV that size would tend to be top heavy, should be kept upright, and the base of the shipping box is relatively narrow, which is bad news in a moving vehicle unless it is properly secured to remain upright.

I have even seen recommendations to sell the TV before moving, and buying a replacement in the new country. That way you avoid the 25/50Hz vs. 30/60Hz frames per second; 120V 60Hz vs. 240V 50Hz power; and SD of 480 lines vs. 575 lines, as well as differing over-the-air broadcasting standards. On the other hand, I have read that European TVs often handle more formats than US TVs and have the

Hopefully as you supply more specifics, someone far more knowledgeable than me will be able to provide useful information.

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-11-2013, 06:21 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Mark, thank you for your reply.

I am currently residing in New York and I will be moving to Cyprus in September 2014. The cable/satellite company that provides standard and HD broadcast there is called Digiturk.

My company will be paying for a container which will have everything I own in the US and I will not be paying any of the local taxes/fees at customs.

post #4 of 5 Old 11-11-2013, 07:25 PM

I suspect you won't gain any savings by searching out a non-smart TV. However, you will find savings going for a last year model. I just bought a new TV today for gaming and some video after much research. I bought the last year model Sony 50ex645. It is "smart", but was almost half the cost of the almost identical current model (Sony w802a). The only difference is that it has no 3D, which I never plan to use. I also don't use the smart functions, other than the wifi to download the firmware update.

I just wanted a fast and quality TV. This tests at ~30ms of lag and I can't detect anything in game mode. It looks great out of the box, and I don't see any of the usual complaints (flash lighting, etc). I found it at clearance price locally. It was cleared out over the summer, but you should be able to find one if desired.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 113

The US has NTSC roots so the HDMI frame rates are 30 or 60 frames per second. Cyprus has PAL roots so the frame rates are 25 or 50 frames per second. If you can, check if your TV can handle both sets of frame rates over HDMI because the cable box in the US will deliver 30/60 frames per second, but in Cyprus the cable box will deliver 25/50 frames per second over the HDMI cable. I don't know if there are TVs sold in the US that can handle such varied frame rates.

Also, in the US, we have 120V 60Hz electricity, but in Cyprus it is 240V 50Hz, and the plug configuration is different. Some devices have a switch by the power cord that allows you to select which voltage you are feeding the device, some devices will automatically detect which voltage automatically, but for other devices, a step-down transformer would be needed. I don't know if 50Hz vs. 60Hz would be an issue for the TV, but it may be worth double-checking that, too. (Converting 50Hz to 60Hz would be more expensive if it needs to be done.)

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Blu-ray players (Sony BDP-S3100, old LG BD390), Roku (the original model: N1000), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (25Mbps/5Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Starter Package), DVD/VHS player.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page