Official Samsung UN60FH6003 Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2013, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Just purchased one of these so called "Dumb" TV's, but with reason.

If you are like me it doesn't make sense to fork over another 300-400 for a smart TV. If you are like me you don't need yet another device with "Smarts". I already have an HTPC, and Roku device that will do just about everything a "Smart" TV" will do.

If you are like me you can live without 3D - While nice to watch every once in a blue moon I cant justify "needing" to own one. (thats what IMAX and the movie theater is for)

Specs

• Size (W x H x D) Without Stand: 54.1" x 31.5" x 3.7"
  • Size With Stand: 54.1" x 33.9" x 12.9"
  • Weight Without Stand: 50.7 lb.
  • Weight With Stand: 60.0 lb.
  • Diagonal Measurement: 60.0"
  • Refresh Rate 120hz
  • Direct Lighting
  • Wide Color Enhancer Plus
  • HDMI: 2
  • USB 2.0: 1
  • Component: 1
  • Speakers: 10W x 2 Down Firing

NOTE: No audio output on this TV (from what I have read) on top of that the internal speakers are mediocre at best (again from what I have read)

Yes I know, no audio out and only 2 hdmi inputs, what gives? (I agree these are huge downers to this TV but both have a work around.)

On the Plus Side: Because of the savings I saved on buying a basic TV 

I was also able to purchase:

Samsung HW-F450 2.1 Channel 280-Watt Soundbar - 230.00

Cheetah Mounts Flush Tilt Wall Mount Bracket - 25.00

Etekcity Premium 6x2 HDMI Switch (Toslink and 3.5mm Audio Output) - 120.00

The whole bill  = $1,372.38 (I think that is a steal for a 60" with now 7 hdmi inputs and optical output with a premium sound bar and a wall mount)

I will do a short review of my findings once this TV arrives, for any future onlookers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2013, 03:35 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I just bought the 55 inch version of this TV. Pretty satisfied with the picture once I turned off the motion plus and made some adjustments.
Sound from the speakers is decent.

Interested in your workaround for the lack of audio outputs because I don't think this TV supports ARC.

Jeffer65
Old 11-11-2013, 10:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffer65 View Post I just bought the 55 inch version of this TV. Pretty satisfied with the picture once I turned off the motion plus and made some adjustments. Sound from the speakers is decent. Interested in your workaround for the lack of audio outputs because I don't think this TV supports ARC.

I have only seen the UN60EH6003 in stores, so I am going on hopes its very similar. For some reason the EH, last years model - edge lit, is more expensive then this years FH edition? Aslo do you see the bright led arrays on screen when this tv goes to a solid color? black, red, blue, or white?

Old 11-14-2013, 12:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 18

I'm also interested in the uniformity on this particular model. It's direct lit which means the issues associated with edge lighting shouldn't be present, but direct lit can end up with DSE in a grid pattern because of the LED array. Have yet to see this screen in any store.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:50 AM

Liked: 12
I am really thinking about purchasing this model as well as I don't need the smart features or 3D either. Really excited about it being backlit...I have the un55d6003 and the flashlighting is pretty bad (my 2 year old took a golf club to the screen...hence being back in the television market).

Question though - I've read that it has an optical input...that's what I use for my soundbar. Is this different from the audio input everybody says it's missing? Just want to make sure I can still use the soundbar or it's a deal breaker...I don't have a receiver to work around.
Old 11-17-2013, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole351 View Post

I am really thinking about purchasing this model as well as I don't need the smart features or 3D either. Really excited about it being backlit...I have the un55d6003 and the flashlighting is pretty bad (my 2 year old took a golf club to the screen...hence being back in the television market).

Question though - I've read that it has an optical input...that's what I use for my soundbar. Is this different from the audio input everybody says it's missing? Just want to make sure I can still use the soundbar or it's a deal breaker...I don't have a receiver to work around.

It's definitely a "black friday model", in which it has bare-bones features and a very average picture quality, ie barely passable. I took a unit home today to try out, and while it is completely free of flashlighting and clouding (thanks to the direct LED lighting, I imagine), it does have fairly noticeable DSE when viewing any content that pans horizontally.

It has NO audio output, optical or otherwise, so if you want to use your soundbar, you'll need an HDMI splitter with audio out functionality (or a soundbar that has a splitter built into it). As a reminder, it only has 2 HDMI inputs.

Probably the best price performance you'll get at this screen size; it easily beat out competing Vizios, but that isn't saying a whole lot.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:08 AM

How has that Etekcity 6x2 switcher been treating you?  A friend of mine told me about this device right when I realized I'm going to need to get a switch to handle the 5 pieces of hardware I'm looking to hook up to my old DLP that has only two HDMI ports on it.  Also, the TV seems to be having trouble passing through the audio to the optical out when the source is coming in from HDMI.  That switch looks like it would fix both problems for me.

Do you have it running on a "green" surge protector by chance?  One of those kind where a master power port activates other ports?  If I get the switch, I'd be plugging it into a "slave" port so it would get power only when the TV is turned on.

The few reviews I've managed to find online for the switch have been so-so.

Old 11-18-2013, 11:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfast500 View Post

Just purchased one of these so called "Dumb" TV's, but with reason.

Cheetah Mounts Flush Tilt Wall Mount Bracket - 25.00

What is the numbers for the 60FH6003 with respect VESA Hole Pattern Coverage? (VESA 100x100, 200x100, 200x200, 300X300, 400x400, 600X400 or 700x400mm)

I am looking for a 60" dumb TV with good performance. Will be using it with an AV receiver, 5.1 home theater and Apple TV and/or Roku box.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:36 AM

I was originally going to buy the UN60F6300 but really was uninterested in any of the Smart technology. I have Apple TV and a Roku box plus have an AV receiver with 5.1 home theater. I am leaning to the Samsung UN60FH6003 which is old-school dumb. Does anyone have an opinion in this thread about the visual difference between the 6300 and the 6003?

Posted the same question on the 6300 thread to try to catch all informed posters.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:38 AM

I know zip about LCD TV's. I haven't been up on tech on TV in a long time. I don't have any smart devices.
I have a Sony rear projection that has did well for me. But it just died & the parts to fix are not made any longer.
New TV I need. I was looking at this TV locally & can buy it for just over $900. I am looking for a 60" or bigger as the RP is 57".
Seems it's a basic large screen LCD TV. Which is what I am looking for & a decent name brand. Anywhere seen for cheaper?
What is the lifespan on a TV like this?

Old 11-20-2013, 02:40 AM

I also an not so interested in SMART features and been looking at this TV. Hows this TV perform with gaming? Based on my research it looks like it has a "-HH01 'Sharp' panel (less desirable but could still be good" They say the 55 has the samsung panel...
Old 11-22-2013, 09:41 PM

Decided to pick this TV (60") up at Best Buy today. They matched Amazon @ $980 and will refund $80 when it goes on sale on 11/24. Blows my old 50" Samsung plasma away for sure.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:10 AM

Just like to add that I decided to return this one because it has noticeable color banding, almost as if it's only capable of displaying 16-bit color depth. Thought it was my sources at first, but after connecting them to other TVs, it's not, and there's no option in the menu to select the bit depth, so I'm assuming it's a limitation of the TV, as a budget model and all. Whether it bothers you is another question. I had the 55" model if this is a variation between the sizes.

Old 11-25-2013, 10:31 PM

Just picked up this set from Costco. Very interested to see others calibration settings. I'm still tweaking mine, anyone have settings they like?
Old 11-29-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by effzelic View Post

Just picked up this set from Costco. Very interested to see others calibration settings. I'm still tweaking mine, anyone have settings they like?

Ditto.  I tried the two calibrations I've seen - the one on Amazon and the one on LCD reviews - and neither really seemed to be quite right.

Some sources seem too dark, others to life-like. 

I'm going from an Sony 52" XBR4, and it was really, really good.

I haven't got a chance to see how it does with sports yet, but I'll try to watch some football this weekend and see how it does.

Doug

Old 11-29-2013, 02:56 PM

To followup...

I set the new set up side-by-side with the old one.

The color on the new set looks washed out in comparison with the XBR4.  Even the whites look a grey-ish.

It looks like I'm looking at the picture through a plastic film, so much so that I checked to see that that wasn't some sort of protective plastic over the screen.

Is there any particular tuning I can do to for this type of thing?  Did I just get a bad one?  Or is that just way it is - and I should return this one and look for a different set?

Thanks,

Doug

Old 12-02-2013, 04:26 PM

My brother is going to purchase this set today. I will let you know what i think when I see it first hand.
Quote:
I set the new set up side-by-side with the old one.

The color on the new set looks washed out in comparison with the XBR4. Even the whites look a grey-ish.

It looks like I'm looking at the picture through a plastic film, so much so that I checked to see that that wasn't some sort of protective plastic over the screen.

Doug, your xbr4 is 6 years old (googled it and see it was released in 07)? Quite a bit has changed in terms of technology since then. Rather than compare your sets side by side, I would just tweak the settings on your new set until they are to your liking.

Are you using the same signal on both sets? Are you using a spliter? Does the picture change when you use only one source? Some spliters out there aren't powerful enough to split 1 quality signal to 2 devices.

I bought a samsung 60" plasma 3d tv and it took me 2 weeks to get the colors right. I almost returned it a few times because I always compared it to my samsung 55" led but when I stopped comparing the two and focused on the one I wanted to look right, that's when I got it properly calibrated to my liking and it's picture is close to if not better at times than my 55" was, so much that I don't really notice the different when alternating between the two anymore.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:46 PM

Everyone with the samsung UN60F6003 has the version hh01, right? I noticed the 55" version looked much better than the 60" one side by side at Costco. I thought maybe the setting was off on the 60"....but maybe it was because of the panel?

I noticed that there are dark spots in the corners and some of the sides. Is this normal or should I exchange it for another one at Costco? I had bought another tv but I don't remember seeing this issue with the other one I have.

Thanks.
Old 12-05-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlcj21 View Post

My brother is going to purchase this set today. I will let you know what i think when I see it first hand.
Doug, your xbr4 is 6 years old (googled it and see it was released in 07)? Quite a bit has changed in terms of technology since then. Rather than compare your sets side by side, I would just tweak the settings on your new set until they are to your liking.

Are you using the same signal on both sets? Are you using a spliter? Does the picture change when you use only one source? Some spliters out there aren't powerful enough to split 1 quality signal to 2 devices.

I bought a samsung 60" plasma 3d tv and it took me 2 weeks to get the colors right. I almost returned it a few times because I always compared it to my samsung 55" led but when I stopped comparing the two and focused on the one I wanted to look right, that's when I got it properly calibrated to my liking and it's picture is close to if not better at times than my 55" was, so much that I don't really notice the different when alternating between the two anymore.

Thanks for the advice. I've got two HDMI outputs on my home theater receiver, so I'm using that to output to both devices.  I *think* the colors are over done on my XBR, so part of the problem might just be that I'm comparing them.

I've slowly made progress with calibration.  Sometimes I think it's better, sometimes worse, but I think I've got it generally better.  Other than the "filmy" part, a lot of which I think is off-axis viewing related.

I've got two tunings that are different, but both pretty decent.  One under "standard" and one under "movie". I'll post my settings once I get them dialed in a little more.

Doug

Old 12-06-2013, 09:37 AM

Actually, the audio out supposed problem isn't really one if you've a sat or cable box. Simply run video out from the box to your tv, and audio out from the box to your home theatre or sound bar. Piece of cake, and you still have an open HDMI port and component port by doing so! Hope this helps!!! I replaced a 55" Vizio with my Samsung UN60FH6003 and watched the UC vs Uof L football game last night. Clarity was stunning, sound thru my Bose system perfect, and there was neither "ghosting" nor jitter a either the ball or players moved. 240hz performance (through the 240 CMR) at a 120hz price!

Old 12-07-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof54 View Post

Actually, the audio out supposed problem isn't really one if you've a sat or cable box. Simply run video out from the box to your tv, and audio out from the box to your home theatre or sound bar. Piece of cake, and you still have an open HDMI port and component port by doing so! Hope this helps!!! I replaced a 55" Vizio with my Samsung UN60FH6003 and watched the UC vs Uof L football game last night. Clarity was stunning, sound thru my Bose system perfect, and there was neither "ghosting" nor jitter a either the ball or players moved. 240hz performance (through the 240 CMR) at a 120hz price!

do you have any problems with dark corners or uniformity issues? Also, I noticed while watching football with the standard 120 Hz mode on, there is some pixelation that occurs when they are hiking the football and in some other instances. Have you noticed that? I didn't notice any of these issues with a 46" 60 Hz sony LCD i had before.

Thanks.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheaplikeafox View Post

do you have any problems with dark corners or uniformity issues? Also, I noticed while watching football with the standard 120 Hz mode on, there is some pixelation that occurs when they are hiking the football and in some other instances. Have you noticed that? I didn't notice any of these issues with a 46" 60 Hz sony LCD i had before.

Thanks.

While I replied to CLF using a pm, thought I might share the settings I'm using. When I first powered up the TV, I noticed that it was much too bright and the colors too intense. Focusing on getting colors and events as life-like as possible (people, places, and things...for example, I watched a football game played at the Georgia Dome since I know what tint the "grass" is and also the fact it has a a grayish/white sheen at certain angles), and modifying settings for a couple of days (actually using the owners manual as a guide:), here are my settings:

Pic Settings

Pic Mode-Std

Backlight-11

Contrast- 80

Bright-40

Sharp-50

Color-43

G/R Tint-44/52

Adv Sett Menu

Color Spc-Auto

White RGB O/G-20 across the board

Gamma-0

Dyn Contrast-low

Blk Tone-off

Flesh Tone-0

Motion Light-off

Pic Opt

Color Tone-std

Screen Size-16:9

Digi Noise Fil-off

HDMI Blk Lvl-normal

Film Mod-off

Auto Mo Plus-smooth B/J 5

LED Mo Pl-on

Hope this helps (and if anything in the list looks whacky, please let me know)!

cheaplikeafox likes this.
Old 12-08-2013, 11:49 AM

Liked: 15
I could have sworn that the specs for this tv said it had and audio optical out.
Old 12-08-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:

While I replied to CLF using a pm, thought I might share the settings I'm using. When I first powered up the TV, I noticed that it was much too bright and the colors too intense. Focusing on getting colors and events as life-like as possible (people, places, and things...for example, I watched a football game played at the Georgia Dome since I know what tint the "grass" is and also the fact it has a a grayish/white sheen at certain angles), and modifying settings for a couple of days (actually using the owners manual as a guide:), here are my settings:

Pic Settings

Pic Mode-Std

Backlight-11

Contrast- 80

Bright-40

Sharp-50

Color-43

G/R Tint-44/52

Adv Sett Menu

Color Spc-Auto

White RGB O/G-20 across the board

Gamma-0

Dyn Contrast-low

Blk Tone-off

Flesh Tone-0

Motion Light-off

Pic Opt

Color Tone-std

Screen Size-16:9

Digi Noise Fil-off

HDMI Blk Lvl-normal

Film Mod-off

Auto Mo Plus-smooth B/J 5

LED Mo Pl-on

Hope this helps (and if anything in the list looks whacky, please let me know)!

Just turned on the Steeler's/Dolphins game and saw some of the pixelation that CLF referenced in an earlier post.  I turned down contrast from 80 to 64 (which darkened the picture a little) and compensated for the darker picture by moving backlight up to 12 and brightness up to 42. Adjusting the contrast seems to have taken care of the pixelation. 

cheaplikeafox likes this.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz5521 View Post

I could have sworn that the specs for this tv said it had and audio optical out.

Nope. Always one consideration to account for when buying this model.
Old 12-09-2013, 06:24 PM

The biggest drawback I saw was that the speakers suck, and there's no audio out port supposedly. So you'll have to get audio from your receiver, etc. when possible. For example if you plugged a drive into the usb port on here with a movie on it, you wouldn't be able to output the sound anywhere but the built-in speakers since there isn't an audio out port. But if you already have a receiver with all the different inputs you need, and your speakers are already hooked up to that, then the built in speakers and lack of audio out doesn't matter at all.

Old 12-14-2013, 11:58 AM

Hey guys, I just purchased this TV and I have some questions about connecting a soundbar in the near future.

I think I have some ideas on how to connect everything, but I'm not very familiar with home theater setups, so I'm getting confused pretty quickly. How will everything connect to output audio from my PC, PS4 and Cable box (all HDMI)? I am currently using this HDMI switch (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0030AZ44O/ref=pe_385040_30332190_TE_3p_M3T1_ST1_dp_1) and would like to avoid buying an AVR for the time being (if possible).

Can this be done with my current devices, or will I need an AVR?

Old 12-14-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:

Just turned on the Steeler's/Dolphins game and saw some of the pixelation that CLF referenced in an earlier post.  I turned down contrast from 80 to 64 (which darkened the picture a little) and compensated for the darker picture by moving backlight up to 12 and brightness up to 42. Adjusting the contrast seems to have taken care of the pixelation. 
Thanks for the settings tips! I'll try them to fix the pixelation issue. I noticed most of the tvs at costco had dark corners. I was just making sure it wasn't just mine.
Old 12-15-2013, 07:55 AM

Picked one of these up for my father inlaw on Black Friday through Amazon. Got it home from the parcel depot and it has black areas with no picture on the outside edges and has some lines running horizontally through the middle. Is this typical shipping damage? Amazon has offered free replacement, just sucks now he has to wait another 2-3 weeks to enjoy it.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:35 PM

Here are my current settings. I started with "Movie" and used the THX Tune-Up iPhone app.  I did my tuning at night, with normal "tv watching lighting". 

Mode:  Movie

Backlight: 12

Contrast: 100

Brightness: 47

Sharpness: 15

Color: 46

Tint:  G50/R50

Advanced:

Color Space: Auto

White Balance:  All 25 (the default)

Gamma: 0

Dynamic Contrast: Off

Black Tone:  Darker

Flesh Tone: 0

Motion Lighting: Off (disabled)

Picture Options:

Color Tone:  Warm1

Size:  Screen Fit

Digital Noise Filter:  Off

HDMI Black Level:  Normal (Disabled)

Film Mode:  Off (disabled)

Auto Motion Plus:  Off

LED Motion Plus:  Off

I'm fairly happy with the picture and will be keeping the set.  I don't think the colors are quite as vibrant as my old set, but they are probably more realistic. 

The only think that still bugs me is the off-axis viewing.  That's where things really tend to get washed out.  But I don't think anything else in this price range would be any better. 

For a sub-$1000 set, it's pretty damn good.

Doug

Tags
Samsung 60 Inch Slim Led Hdtv Un60es6003