Emerson vs Element vs Westinghouse led HDTVs - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 38 Old 11-12-2013, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All 1080p/60hz. Going to buy a 50" for under $300 on Black Friday. I currently own a 32" Emerson and have had no probs with it in 3 years. I know they are all budget TVs, but that's what I can afford lol.

As far as picture quality and build quality go, which one if the 3 are the best?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 11-12-2013, 11:15 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimechaldo View Post

All 1080p/60hz. Going to buy a 50" for under $300 on Black Friday. I currently own a 32" Emerson and have had no probs with it in 3 years. I know they are all budget TVs, but that's what I can afford lol.

As far as picture quality and build quality go, which one if the 3 are the best?

I have a 26" Westinghouse HDTV 1080P LED 60Hz in my bedroom. I purchased it over 2 years from cosco for $185. It works as well today as the day I purchased it. That has been my only experience with any of these sets.
post #3 of 38 Old 11-12-2013, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

I should mention that the main use of the tv will be for gaming and Bluray movies
post #4 of 38 Old 11-12-2013, 11:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 251
Quote:

Get two friends and play 'rock, paper, scissors'. Buy the winner and keep your fingers crossed.tongue.gif
post #5 of 38 Old 11-12-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

Get two friends and play 'rock, paper, scissors'. Buy the winner and keep your fingers crossed.tongue.gif

I'll agree with that. I would throw away the Element for sure. Between the other 2 I would say Emerson only because you have one you're happy with. Going from a 32" to a 50" you might not be happy with the pic quality on any of them.
post #6 of 38 Old 11-12-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

The 32" I have now is 720p, the 50" I wanna get is 1080p. I think the difference will make up for the size increase. Unless you said that for another reason. Do the display panels have a higher failure rate the bigger they get or something?
post #7 of 38 Old 11-12-2013, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Also, I am looking at an Insignia as well. Are Insignia HDTVs better than the 3 listed in the topic title?
post #8 of 38 Old 11-12-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 228
A 50" tv for under $300 that's good for gaming and blu-ray movies eek.gif Good luck with that. I'd keep what you have and save up for a better tv. Besides, the best deals are just before Christmas and after the first of the year. Black Friday isn't what it used to be.
post #9 of 38 Old 11-12-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 32" I have now is 720p, the 50" I wanna get is 1080p. I think the difference will make up for the size increase. Unless you said that for another reason. Do the display panels have a higher failure rate the bigger they get or something?

Quote:

Also, I am looking at an Insignia as well. Are Insignia HDTVs better than the 3 listed in the topic title?

Won't make too much difference if the source isn't 1080p and I said that because a crappy pic will be more noticeable on a larger TV. Insignia is a crap shoot also but I probably would consider that over the others. I actually tried a 50" Insignia and returned it due to the really bad imperfections on the panel. I bought this instead at $499 for my bedroom and it's great. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BP5N49S/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER
post #10 of 38 Old 11-17-2013, 08:49 AM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I'm also wondering about this deal and I'm in the same boat as you. Currently using a 32'' 720p Coby in the living room and also thought the 1080p was going to make up for the size difference.

The general consensus around here seems to be against low end tvs... how much would we need to jump up on price to get a "decent" 50''? And what would make it better as they'd both be 1080p?
post #11 of 38 Old 11-17-2013, 12:47 PM

I love avs but most of the users here don't buy a set that hasn't been reviewed and dissected. Emerson, insignia, ect are you as cheap has we can make it for Walmart or best buy. Units aren't sent out to be reviewed, they generally have little or no tech support. They also don't generally have a line of sets with similar components. This prohibtes owners from being able to share their stories and experiences in a owners thread here. A owners thread on avs IMHO is the single most useful resource of information you can find for a set.
post #12 of 38 Old 11-17-2013, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeydwondrer View Post

I'm also wondering about this deal and I'm in the same boat as you. Currently using a 32'' 720p Coby in the living room and also thought the 1080p was going to make up for the size difference.

The general consensus around here seems to be against low end tvs... how much would we need to jump up on price to get a "decent" 50''? And what would make it better as they'd both be 1080p?

It's not just the resolution that makes for a decent picture and it's not always the quality of the pic but the quality of the product. The brands listed by the OP are probably some of the worst brands. You can probably get a decent 50" non 3d non smart tv starting at $500.I bought a 50" TCL I would also consider a Hisense and Seiki, all lesser known brands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpatton71 View Post

I love avs but most of the users here don't buy a set that hasn't been reviewed and dissected. Emerson, insignia, ect are you as cheap has we can make it for Walmart or best buy. Units aren't sent out to be reviewed, they generally have little or no tech support. They also don't generally have a line of sets with similar components. This prohibtes owners from being able to share their stories and experiences in a owners thread here. A owners thread on avs IMHO is the single most useful resource of information you can find for a set.

That's not necessarily true there are a few threads here on lower end TV's and just because it's low end doesn't mean it's junk. Although the ones listed by the OP are definitely low quality. I also don't put too much into reviews of any kind.
post #13 of 38 Old 11-17-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

It's not just the resolution that makes for a decent picture and it's not always the quality of the pic but the quality of the product. The brands listed by the OP are probably some of the worst brands. You can probably get a decent 50" non 3d non smart tv starting at $500.I bought a 50" TCL I would also consider a Hisense and Seiki, all lesser known brands.

Those are all brands I've never heard of or seen in a store, but they're the decent brands? Not really interested (or able, lol) in spending a grand on a tv. The 3 listed there are literally not worth buying for $300?
post #14 of 38 Old 11-17-2013, 05:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Those are all brands I've never heard of or seen in a store, but they're the decent brands? Not really interested (or able, lol) in spending a grand on a tv. The 3 listed there are literally not worth buying for $300?

TCL is the 6th largest TV producer, they make parts for Samsung and they also jointly own a panel factory. Hisense can be seen at Walmart and Seiki has been around for some time. All TV's are hit or miss, more so with the lower end. I personally would not purchase any of the 3 listed by the OP. That's not to say you won't be satisfied with one.
post #15 of 38 Old 11-17-2013, 05:22 PM

Quote:

That's not necessarily true there are a few threads here on lower end TV's and just because it's low end doesn't mean it's junk. Although the ones listed by the OP are definitely low quality. I also don't put too much into reviews of any kind.

I agree just because it's a budget set doesn't make it junk. However sets that aren't the 13 model or the last year model ect.  can cause the sets to be harder to track. Many times one set is only made for Walmart and Target has another that looks the same but ends up with different panels ect. This generally makes it harder for owner threads to thrive sometimes, but still provides excellent information even if it's a page or two. Most dedicated AVS users aren't the ones to go out and buy a Emerson on special at target for Black Friday. This makes it harder for new users to come on and say hey I'm hoping to buy a budget set on BF is this one good? Generally the response is a canned one.  
post #16 of 38 Old 11-17-2013, 06:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Black Friday deals are known to have products that are specifically made for that day and not just for low end brands but all brands. You never know what parts are outsourced on any brand or model, parts can be different between the same models. A brand name means nothing, only thing you can somewhat rely on is a track record and that could change at any time. I think Vizio is a junk brand but somehow they keep selling TV's even though they have a very high return/repair rate.
post #17 of 38 Old 11-17-2013, 07:19 PM

lol, I had actually started looking at a Vizio also! Literally everyone but 1 person in my shop at work has Vizios and none have had any trouble. I thought they were a good brand.

So many damned tv makers and just a couple hours ago I was perfectly happy to go pick up the cheap deal, LOL. Colour, did you have any links to the threads you said were discussing low cost units?
post #18 of 38 Old 11-17-2013, 08:42 PM

Vizio has mastered making good sets at a great price point. They are or at least we're the largest LCD company in the US in terms of sales. They offer a great value for your money. It gets allot more complicated when your buying a RCA, Proscan, ect where they are buying a somewhat trusted name (licensed) to slap on a Chinese panel. The panel may or may not suck or be a great value. With out enough user reviews and or a repetiable source giving you feedback on it. Vizio doesn't fit that description.
post #19 of 38 Old 11-17-2013, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

lol, I had actually started looking at a Vizio also! Literally everyone but 1 person in my shop at work has Vizios and none have had any trouble. I thought they were a good brand.

So many damned tv makers and just a couple hours ago I was perfectly happy to go pick up the cheap deal, LOL. Colour, did you have any links to the threads you said were discussing low cost units?

Don't take my opinion on Vizio as absolute truth, I know people in the electronics industry and that's where I partly base my opinion. I don't want to sway you away from trying any brand, you can be lucky or unlucky with any brand and only you can decide what your happy with. As for the threads just search within this forum for the brand name, there might not be much to read though.

As I said I'm happy with my 50" TCL although it's for my bedroom, I'm picky and I had to enter the service menu to fix the skin colors. If I couldn't have fixed that I would have likely returned it and continued my search for another TV.
post #20 of 38 Old 11-17-2013, 08:59 PM

How is the shipping from Amazon?  It shows free, but is that just going to be drop at door and leave, or do they stay and see if it works (or does that cost more)

post #21 of 38 Old 11-17-2013, 11:11 PM

Liked: 15

Do you really need a 50"?  For gaming, especially fps, 60hz may let you down a little.  You could get a better brand in the 120 hz area in 42" class, with maybe an extra 50 or so.  I wanted a big t.v. too, but I couldn't afford the features I wanted at the price point, so I just started looking smaller.  Just throwing a different approach out there.  Or roll the dice, you might hit a lucky 7.   

post #22 of 38 Old 11-18-2013, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandydankness View Post

Do you really need a 50"?  For gaming, especially fps, 60hz may let you down a little.  You could get a better brand in the 120 hz area in 42" class, with maybe an extra 50 or so.  I wanted a big t.v. too, but I couldn't afford the features I wanted at the price point, so I just started looking smaller.  Just throwing a different approach out there.  Or roll the dice, you might hit a lucky 7.   

I'm not the op, but I'm not looking at gaming beyond maybe that Guitar Hero game >.> LOL. But isn't the 60 vs 120 hz a bit of a gimmick? If the source is only 60hz, how can the tv run faster other than just refreshing the same image over?
post #23 of 38 Old 11-18-2013, 05:08 AM

Liked: 12
HH Gregg is selling a Seiki 55" for $399.BF.

WAP 16.

post #24 of 38 Old 11-18-2013, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod39 View Post

Only available (or so I was told) in store. Not online...
post #25 of 38 Old 11-18-2013, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo View Post

Only available (or so I was told) in store. Not online...

Black Friday deals especially doorbusters aren't usually available online, they want you get trampled to death, not get what you came for and end up buying something else since they only had 2 in stock to begin with.
post #26 of 38 Old 11-19-2013, 05:33 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripod39 View Post

BFads.net says Hastings Entertainment offers a 50" Seiki @ $299,BF.

WAP 16.

post #27 of 38 Old 11-21-2013, 06:48 AM

I'm interested in that Emerson 50" for $288 myself. I'm looking to replace a 51" Hitachi Rear Projection TV purchased in 2004. Huge cabinet beast. It supports 720p and 1080i. I've used it for gaming and movies but then I go play the same games on a 40" Westinghouse I got last year on Black Friday and it's night and day.

So for me it's more about "what are you replacing" vs it's not ideal for gaming and movies. I've played GTA V and COD: Ghost (PS3 and PS4) and have not noticed anything out of the ordinary on the 40" Westinghouse which is 1080p/60hz. Now this is the important part..compared to the 51" rear projection the cheap 40" LCD looks VERY good. : )

So given that would this 50" Emerson look substantially worse than the 40" Westinghouse?
post #28 of 38 Old 11-21-2013, 07:27 AM

I am also on the great debate between the 50" lcd Emerson at WalMart and the 50" led Element at Target. I just need one for my extra game room where the pool table is.
post #29 of 38 Old 11-21-2013, 01:57 PM

I'm pretty sure I'll be ordering one online now and skipping these units. They're the bottom line units arguments was moving, but what really did me in was suddenly realizing there's no way I'm getting the tv in my car without laying it flat in through the trunk and with the roads in this city, it'd be in a million pieces at home.
post #30 of 38 Old 11-23-2013, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

Amazon is going to have a 50" Seiki. Seiki is better than Emerson and element right?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Westinghouse 26 Inch Ld 2685vx Full Hd Led Hdtv Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page