LCD vs Plasma ---> Gaming: 30 Fps Blur vs Frame doubeling - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-15-2013, 08:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10

What do you guys prever while playing a 30 fps game on the PS3/Xbox360?

I only have experienced 30fps on LCD so far but have read that the Frame doubling on 30fps is actually worse.

The LCD blur is supposed to mask the doubling and make it appear "better" according to some sources.

Do you have the same opinions?

BTW: how can i create a comment where you can vote in the Upper area?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-16-2013, 07:06 AM - Thread Starter

up

post #3 of 7 Old 11-16-2013, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
No, Latest faster pixel response time LCD's doesn't blur too much now to cover 30fps framedoubling/judder, almost as bad/clear as on plasma! I got eye/headache from those 30fps framing/juddering on my plasma and old LCD tv.

My happily solution was found in the Samsung Auto Motion Plus, frame interpolation technology!
It's just amazing, 30fps games looks like 60fps (PC) games, I am currently replaying and enjoying all new/old 30fps PS3 games, like: FFXIII-1/2, Resident Evil 6, GTA V etc.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1496850/panasonic-p65vt60-judder-images/0_50#post_23885310
Quote:
Dont bother a Panasonic plasma, get a Samsung plasma or Samsung LED with Motion Plus interpolation..
Almost all console games are capped at 30fps and will cause the framedoubling (perceived as juddering ghosting after-images with mostly "pseudo"3D 30fps games like GTA V or Final Fantasy XIII etc.), even with the upcoming PS4/XB1 games will be 30fps at 1080p, because of the GPU capability.

Since (most) game developers will choose high details (more beautiful) graphics with low 30fps over low details 60fps games and apparently games are programmed on PC's with (PC) LED/LCD (CRT?) tv/monitors.
Seems Motion clarity are not important enough or investigated, the irony is that high detail moving 30fps graphics are lost in those framedoubling blurs, which I think these games designers must be abit blind or so.

Because Panasonic's plasma Motion Smoother is not effective/working at all with 30fps framedoubling games, I got headache from them,.
Where-else with 60fps (PC)games, the plasma motion smoothness and clarity quality without framedoubling here, are the best and superb over the LED/LCD.

Thats why I got another Samsung LED especially for the 30fps PS3/console games.
Samsung's Motion Plus have 2 adjustments: Blur Reduction 0-10 and Judder Reduction 0-10 for finetunning.
I use to set BR=4 and JR=6 for GTA V is the best balance to reduce framedoubling vs lag caused by motion interpolate processing.

Framedoubling are now visibly reduced as playable and looks almost smoothlike a 60fps game, ofcourse framedrops/skipping/judder from PS3 GPU itself will cause the motion interpolator judder/skipping in the images too. (but still not as annoying/headaching without Motion Plus)
Disable Motion Plus and the framedoubling are now as apparent as the plasma with abit of LCD blurring.

-So if you still want a plasma for 30fps gaming, look for a Samsung with Motion Plus BR/JR adjustments and test it out.
Otherwise get a Samsung LED without worrying about IR/ABL/linebleed/buzzing/power consumption etc.

P.S. There is an option at the bottom of the new thread to add a poll:
+ No Poll: (click here to add poll)
post #4 of 7 Old 11-17-2013, 06:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBrad View Post

No, Latest faster pixel response time LCD's doesn't blur too much now to cover 30fps framedoubling/judder, almost as bad/clear as on plasma! I got eye/headache from those 30fps framing/juddering on my plasma and old LCD tv.

My happily solution was found in the Samsung Auto Motion Plus, frame interpolation technology!
It's just amazing, 30fps games looks like 60fps (PC) games, I am currently replaying and enjoying all new/old 30fps PS3 games, like: FFXIII-1/2, Resident Evil 6, GTA V etc.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1496850/panasonic-p65vt60-judder-images/0_50#post_23885310
P.S. There is an option at the bottom of the new thread to add a poll:
+ No Poll: (click here to add poll)

Thanks for the poll info!

For Frame interpolation:

I also thought of using it when i played FF XIII/-2, however there are 2 things that stopped me of using it.

1). added input lag was clearly evident. not so bad with RPG.

2) MORE IMPORTANTLY, Artifacts. When the camera moves even a little fast, you can clearly see those nasty things all over screen. That is regretably what Frame interpolation introduces.

3) Personally dislike the Soap opera effect

post #5 of 7 Old 11-17-2013, 07:18 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Do you have a Samsung?
With Motion Plus: Blur Reduction and Judder Reduction, I can finetune settings which gives the best balance between 30fps framedoubling-judder reduction and lag/artifacts.
I'm happy with my Samsung LED soap-opera for games is essential, the higher consistent frames the better for games.

I use my Panasonic Plasma is now only sometimes for movies and 60fps PC games.

So you're happy with the 30fps doubling/juddering on your LCD?
post #6 of 7 Old 11-18-2013, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Well i have a Sony hx 755 40inch   and it also comes with motion interpolation.

Motionflow Normal: increases FPS up to maybe (45?) and introduces some artifacts. Some blur/ghosting

Motionflow smooth: Now that one increases FPS to 60++  and introduces severe artifacts.No blur/ghosting

Also You should not be able to adjust the input lag even with your samsung.

1) I dont think that AMP works with game mode

2) does not matter which option you choose or even custom, you always add the same amount of input lag.

BTW what is your tv called?

post #7 of 7 Old 11-20-2013, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter

üp

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Xbox 360 Console