Official Vizio M701d-A3R Owners Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 103 Old 11-17-2013, 12:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I finished mounting my http://store.vizio.com/m701da3r.html to the wall yesterday. This is an amazing television and I'm starting this thread to here other's 1st had experiences with the new 70 in Mseries from Vizio. I purchased mine from Costco and took advantage of the instant $200 off manufactures discount which dropped this TV to $2099 which is lower than I've found by anyone else. So I want to open this up with first of all has anyone figured out how to change the refresh from 240 Hz to 120 Hz?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 103 Old 11-17-2013, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can you please tell me how you purchased this for BELOW the 2K mark? I went on Costco's website just now (11/17/13), and the price is $2299, and after the $200 instant savings is $2099. Is the price actually cheaper in the physical Costco stores as opposed to online? Please let me know and thanks.
post #3 of 103 Old 11-18-2013, 03:54 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, I was mistaken. You are correct and so I updated my post. It was $2099, with free shipping to my home since I'm a Costco member. Walmart was the next closest at $2198, but you can only get free shipping to the store. Again sorry for the miscalculation.
post #4 of 103 Old 11-18-2013, 09:19 AM

Best buy will go down lower, got mine for $1989 last week and being delivered n a few minutes. They also gave me a free tilting wall mount and $100 off on a receiver I wanted. Best buy negotiates. It helps to know the employee discount.
post #5 of 103 Old 11-18-2013, 09:20 AM

I also got free shipping!!!
post #6 of 103 Old 11-18-2013, 10:37 AM

Thanks for the info on the pricing. I'm going to go to Best Buy tonight and hope they can offer a similar price!
post #7 of 103 Old 11-20-2013, 07:31 AM

I purchased this TV two nights ago at Best Buy. The sales rep wouldn't budge on the price except to price match BJs price of $2099. I could have pushed harder but honestly didn't have the energy. He did do a somewhat price match on their Black Friday $99 price for an Amazon Kindle HD Fire (he sold me the 8Gb one for that price, even though Black Friday it will be the 16Gb, but I was ok with that).
So I got the TV for $2099, HD Fire for $99, and free delivery. TV is scheduled for delivery this Friday and I'm pretty excited.
post #8 of 103 Old 11-21-2013, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
What is the difference between this set (VIZIO M701d-A3R) and the one discussed in the Mxx1i thread?

The M701d-A3R is one potential option I am looking at and wanted to read more about it. Can't find any other thread but the model numbers don't match.

confused.gif

TIA
post #9 of 103 Old 11-22-2013, 01:11 AM
uh2

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cucuy View Post

What is the difference between this set (VIZIO M701d-A3R) and the one discussed in the Mxx1i thread?

The M701d-A3R is one potential option I am looking at and wanted to read more about it. Can't find any other thread but the model numbers don't match.

confused.gif

TIA

The R has 8 3D glasses, the non R has 4. That's it.
post #10 of 103 Old 11-23-2013, 01:29 PM
VR3

I have a 65' vizio model last year SAMs club blk fri sale and it's been great. I would like to get this model for the man cave.

-How is the picture quality overall and for gaming ?

-Any issues with the 240hz ? The 65 I have is 120 and is pretty good.

Thanks!
post #11 of 103 Old 11-24-2013, 11:09 AM

Here's my current status with this telvision:
TV was delivered to me this past Friday. I set it up yesterday and turned it on. Within 30 seconds, it powered off. After wondering if there was a ghost in the room, I called up tech support. The positive is they answered within two rings and were very friendly. We figured out the problem is with the internet abilities of the TV. The tech support agent "Dexter" thinks the TV is trying to update the firmware, and having an issue with the internal ethernet card connecting to their servers, and is therefore rebooting since it doesn't want the firmware to not complete installing. We were able to pinpoint the issue to the internet by disconnecting the ethernet cord from the back, disabling the wireless internet, and seeing if the TV would remain powered on - which it does. As soon as I enabled wireless, the TV turned off within five seconds.
The conclusion - I have a "DOA" or "Dead On Arrival" TV - fantastic! Dexter said I will have a new TV sent to me in 1-2 weeks, free of charge and they will take away the old one. He said this is the first time they have heard of such an issue (hard to believe but whatever), so they want the TV back so they can diagnose it.
I'm looking to see if I can update the firmware via USB right now to see if it resolves the problem, but I'm having trouble finding any link to download updated firmware. I'm having buyers remorse right now hoping I didn't buy the wrong brand as this is my first Vizio and will likely go to Best Buy today to look at a Sony. Yes, I am a Sony fanboy and my previous TV this Vizio replaced was a Sony Grand Wega XBR which I owed for 11 years with zero problems and loved - it was just a bit outdated (1080i, no HDMI inputs so had to use an HDMI switch, etc. etc.).
I will update this thread if I have luck but right now I'm 50/50 with if I will return the TV or not and contact Vizio to cancel shipping out the replacement. mad.gif
seneschal likes this.
post #12 of 103 Old 11-24-2013, 11:37 AM

After not finding any firmware for this television online, I called technical support. The support agent said they do not offer firmware to be installed via USB and it must be done via the router. I explained I saw other models of Vizio TVs offering this, and she said it's "very rare" for something like that. With that said, the TV will need to be replaced or returned. Fun times.
post #13 of 103 Old 11-24-2013, 06:56 PM

Here is where I'm currently at... I went to Best Buy this evening and decided on purchasing the Sony KDL55W900A which is a 55" and to return the Vizio after reading so many positive reviews of the Sony. While clearly smaller (55" picture versus 70"), right out the box it is a way superior TV compared to the Vizio. The picture quality compared to the Vizio is stunning - I wouldn't even put them in the same league. My wife and I both were "wowing" at the Sony as soon as the picture came on after set up. I think the Vizio at 70" was just way too large physically, was not sturdy on it's stand (it was very wobbly - a big issue since I have children and that huge TV - both in size and weight, would do some serious damage to one of my kids if it was to fall over), but also too large for an HD picture at 1920x1080 resolution. I didn't feel the HD picture looked nearly as clear/ detailed like it should on the Vizio compared to the Sony. I also noticed bad artifacts during the only movie I played on it which was the animiated movie "Epic".

To be fair to the Vizio, I never calibrated the picture/ adjusted the picture settings, so I probably could have adjusted it to my liking (or at least improvement from the factory defaults) but I haven't done anything yet to the Sony and I'm already more than pleased with the picture. Forget pleased, I'm actually excited to test out PS3 games and 3D movies on this sucker. Besides the picture, the physical appearance of the TV itself is much nicer as well, including the stand of the Sony.
I am happy with the decision I made which is to return the defective Vizio, and go with the Sony. The Sony is certainly an expensive set for it's size ($1999 for a 55" TV), but it is simply gorgeous (and if you were thinking of signing up for Netflix/ Hulu/ or both - you get one year free for both of those services which is about a $200 value). I might be a little biased since I love Sony products but I think anyone who purchases this Sony TV will have a similar feeling as I do.

In summary - if you really have your mind set on a 70" TV, then maybe this Vizio would be good for you. I initially thought I wanted a really large TV since my last TV was a 60". When I was researching a new TV, I wasn't even looking at anything smaller than 65" - and that was the mistake I made. The reality is this 55" Sony is smaller than my last TV, but I'm not noticing the size difference because the picture is THAT GOOD (and I've read from other viewers that they felt the same thing about the size not being an issue). I had seen the Sony on display at Best Buy, but I swear (like I have read by so many others), that they calibrate the Samsung TVs to look amazing (and other brand's 4K TVs), and pretty much everything else to look sub par, because the Sony certainly didn't stand out compared to other TVs there. However, once plugged in at home - holy smokes, what a difference. If you want a TV that will likely last you several years (I kept my previous Sony for 11 years and just sold it - still works like day 1), then get the Sony. If you have your mind set on a giant screen but picture quality (and overall quality) is not that important to you, then go with a different TV - e.g. the Vizio. But if you were to ask me which TV would I purchase for the money - the Vizio 70" at $2099 or the Sony 55" at $1999, I would certainly go with the Sony.

Hope that helps in your decision making and I'm sure the Sony will be even more enjoyable as I start to adjust the settings and test out different games/ movies/ and so on...
seneschal likes this.
post #14 of 103 Old 11-29-2013, 02:40 PM

can somebody please post their picture settings, i can only find the settings for the non 3d version. non 3d version has color temps going into the 500s while the max is only 255 on my tv.
post #15 of 103 Old 12-02-2013, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

I have had my m701d for nearly a month now and I love it. I have had zero issues and using the out of the box calibration setting has worked well for me. I have just ordered a 3d blue ray, the Sony BDP S5100 along with the Disney WOW calibration disc just to be sure I optimize my settings. I will say the smooth motion effect which controls your refresh rate is best in the off position for tv and movies otherwise you get the soap opera effect. It does however look great for live action sports. I had family over for thanksgiving and they all thoroughly enjoyed the football games throughout the day.
post #16 of 103 Old 12-10-2013, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just bought a Blu Ray player SONY S5100 and when I connected to my M701D it is able to play only 2D movies, when I try to play 3D movies the TV goes black and shows a message "invalid Format" or Format not accepted" I don't remember very well the message, but the screen goes black and only shows the message. the player is Okay I connected it to another 3D TV Samsung and the S5100 plays 3D and also converts 2D to 3D very well in this TV, but my Vizio goes black and shows message "format no accepted".
My question to you is, if you have been able to play 3D movies using this combination Vizio M701D and Sony BDP-S5100, if so is there anything special that I need to do to make them work, cables, setup, etc.
I appreciate in advance your advice.
Thanks
post #17 of 103 Old 12-17-2013, 01:00 AM

Can anyone tell me when the firmware update for my M701 will be out....Vizio could not tell me....I purchased this with the thought that the remote was wifi....it is not but tech support says it is coming that has been since mid October?

post #18 of 103 Old 12-21-2013, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Bought mine at Costco yesterday for $2099, and comes with Costco's 2 year warranty, but I bought a further 3 year full warranty that covers everything including accidental damage for $99 (Costco has amazing deals with Square Deal warranty).
Might have saved a few bucks going to Best Buy, but I wouldn't have the TV with 5 years warranty for this price, plus Costco's return policy is amazing..... Best Buy are no fun when stuff goes wrong.
post #19 of 103 Old 12-21-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazychris4124 View Post

can somebody please post their picture settings, i can only find the settings for the non 3d version. non 3d version has color temps going into the 500s while the max is only 255 on my tv.

+1
I'd love to see calibration settings for anyone who has calibrated theirs. I've ordered the Disney WOW disk, but would appreciate if anyone has Spears and Munsil settings?
I found calibration settings for M series razor sets in another thread but could not make sense of the settings as they called for color values that don't seem to be available on my set - they were in the 500's and in my setup they only go to the mid 200's?? I guess this is because my set is thethe 3D version?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1452199/official-vizio-m-series-razor-mxx1i-thread/6390#post_24083826
Thanks.
post #20 of 103 Old 12-22-2013, 11:44 AM

I'm probably missing something in the manual, but noticed that there's no sound coming from the TV itself.
I've checked in the settings that the TV's internal speaker (where the heck are they? I can't find them?) is on, but nothing is heard when increasing the TV volume?
I have all my gadgets (Xbox One, WDTV Live+, Xfinity Cable etc) going through my receiver and get sound from my theater speakers, but was hoping to also have the TV sound setup to act like a center speaker as my current living room doesn't have the space for my 7.1 setup and my center channel speaker is too large to fit on the entertainment unit I'm using for this TV.
Can anyone help me figure out why there's no sound from the TV?

Thanks.
post #21 of 103 Old 12-24-2013, 11:55 AM

if no one has responed yet. settings for the 70" model are on page 81 of the vizio m series thread.

post #22 of 103 Old 12-26-2013, 07:36 PM

Just got a Costco coupon book, $350 off the M701 starting Jan 2. Not sure if that is in addition to, or in place of,  the "$200 off" promotion they have been running for some time.

post #23 of 103 Old 12-31-2013, 05:25 PM

Liked: 11
got a problem with this new TV. can't get the audio from the TV when viewing online apps (like Netflix) to play through the AV receiver.

Time Warner cable box and Blu Ray player is connected via HDMI to the AV receiver and then HDMI output to the TV.

when playing anything from the online apps on the TV can't get the audio to play through the AV receiver - the audio from the Time Warner cable box keeps playing! (when the TV speakers are on, the app audio plays through them).

i thought the ARC in the HDMI brought the audio back to the AV receiver from the TV in this instance. do i need to connect a separate audio "return" from the TV to the AV receiver?

when i called Vizio support the "tech" girl said that this TV will NOT send audio to the AV receiver when viewing apps - you HAVE to listen through the TV speakers". I cannot believe this...who would tolerate viewing a streaming HD or 3D movie on those crappy TV speakers?!

any ideas how to fix this or a workaround?
post #24 of 103 Old 01-01-2014, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley3141 View Post

i thought the ARC in the HDMI brought the audio back to the AV receiver from the TV in this instance. do i need to connect a separate audio "return" from the TV to the AV receiver?

when i called Vizio support the "tech" girl said that this TV will NOT send audio to the AV receiver when viewing apps - you HAVE to listen through the TV speakers". I cannot believe this...who would tolerate viewing a streaming HD or 3D movie on those crappy TV speakers?!

any ideas how to fix this or a workaround?
Tech may be correct. I don't have an ARC compatible receiver. I just use the digital out from the TV to my receiver. That works fine. So, on my Harmony remote I have an activity setup as "Media Play on TV" which switches my AV receiver to the correct audio input. Let me just clarify that I have the E series 70, but I'll bet the audio handling is the same as on the M series.
post #25 of 103 Old 01-01-2014, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globespy View Post

Bought mine at Costco yesterday for $2099, and comes with Costco's 2 year warranty, but I bought a further 3 year full warranty that covers everything including accidental damage for $99 (Costco has amazing deals with Square Deal warranty).
Might have saved a few bucks going to Best Buy, but I wouldn't have the TV with 5 years warranty for this price, plus Costco's return policy is amazing..... Best Buy are no fun when stuff goes wrong.
Costco's warranty through square trade has accidental coverage?

update: Looking at the terms it mentions accidental spills and such if the coverage is selected. Doesn't look like it would cover cracks, i.e child throws car through TV. I wouldn't be as concerned about spilling my coffee on the TV.
post #26 of 103 Old 01-01-2014, 10:20 AM

Liked: 11
has anyone here purchased / used one of the Square Trade protection plans that Vizio offers you when you register your TV with them? for TVs costing up to $2499.99 they offer $89 for 3 years, $119 for 4 years & $149 for 5 years - not sure if that starts when Vizio's warranty expires or if it begins immediately upon purchase. Vizio's tech support said i have 10 months to decide to obtain it.

this is what the email offering it from Vizio says:

"Mechanical/Electrical Failures from Everyday Use
We cover your product for years beyond the manufacturer's warranty.

Optional Drops & Spills Protection for Tablets and Computers
We cover your tablet or computer from damages sustained during accidents like drops or spills.
(so obviously not for TVs)

100% Parts and Labor, No Deductibles
We've got you covered. You pay nothing."

do you think this covers replacing the entire lcd panel?

also, is Square Trade the same company as Square Deal i saw in an earlier post?
post #27 of 103 Old 01-01-2014, 02:04 PM

I have purchased and used square trade warranties in the past. Very reliable company. Their warranty begins when you purchase your tv so in effect when you buy a 3 year warranty, its really only 2 as Vizio is covering the first year anyways. It covers up to the amount you purchase coverage for. If repairs exceed this amount, then you get a check for the limit. I would advise to buy thru amazon. I just got a 4 year, $1500.00 plan from square trade for $49.00 the week before Xmas from amazon. It was a special flash sale. 

post #28 of 103 Old 01-01-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bouman133 View Post

I have purchased and used square trade warranties in the past. Very reliable company. Their warranty begins when you purchase your tv so in effect when you buy a 3 year warranty, its really only 2 as Vizio is covering the first year anyways. It covers up to the amount you purchase coverage for. If repairs exceed this amount, then you get a check for the limit. I would advise to buy thru amazon. I just got a 4 year, $1500.00 plan from square trade for $49.00 the week before Xmas from amazon. It was a special flash sale. 

Not correct on the warranty.
TV came with 2 year Costco/Manufacturer warranty and I purchased the additional 3 through square trade ($99). When I registered online in square trade it shows warranty of 5 years.
post #29 of 103 Old 01-01-2014, 05:00 PM

KS7Iw1
Quote:
Originally Posted by uh2 View Post

The R has 8 3D glasses, the non R has 4. That's it.

+1

post #30 of 103 Old 01-01-2014, 05:12 PM

It is said that its newly expanded apps library is your gateway to a virtually limitless world of the best streaming content, from hit movies and TV shows to music and more, while an updated user interface features full-screen searching* to make the most ingenious Smart TV platform intuitively simple.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio M701d A3r 70 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - M701d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page