**Official** Samsung 4K UN55F9000, UN65F9000, and UN85S9 Thread - Page 11 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #301 of 2000 Old 01-02-2014, 07:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishikesh100 View Post

AccorTR,

Could you get the 4K movies offered by Samsung USA from any of the forum member? If yes, I am interested in getting it from you provided it runs smoothly. Thanks.

I have not gotten a copy yet either

Samsung UHD 4K UN65F9000, Sharp LC46D64U,
Shaw HD PVR Gateway and Portals,
PS4 500gb launch edition,
Samsung BD-P3600, Sony BDP-S470,
Pioneer VSX-1026, Monster Power HDP 2550
Polk Audio 7.1- CS1, Monitor 70s, Monitor 60s, Monitor 40s, PSW505,
Blu-Ray collection- 572 and counting. See them here

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 2000 Old 01-02-2014, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubius View Post

The new issues are; lack of depth (everything looks flat), halo around people - not really sure that's how to describe it but looks like they have a "blur" around them (did not have that prior to the update), no improvement with auto motion set to custom and both settings set to 10 along with clear motion turned on. I spent about an hour with support and they had no other suggestions for improving the picture..

This is my first LED, coming from a Pioneer Elite & Kuro so I was hoping for an improvement.  Blah...

Edit - I should also add that the CNET calibration settings were horrible on my set, the wife even said "change it back!!"  I thought that was really strange considering how everyone has raved about them.  If it makes any difference, my build date is 10/31/2013.

Well I finally saw this tv playing 1080p content at future shop and they we playing Lord of the rings. Although the picture looked great I saw what your explaining, (halo) around people as they moved. Kind of a bummer for such an expensive tv to do that. I didn't have enough time to really do more observations but that was very obvious. Hopefully they fix that with an update. What made you think you would see an improvement coming from a Kuro Elite? 4K yeah but everything else doubtful.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

http://www.avsforum.com/photopost/sh...hp?cat=2236715
post #303 of 2000 Old 01-02-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

Well I finally saw this tv playing 1080p content at future shop and they we playing Lord of the rings. Although the picture looked great I saw what your explaining, (halo) around people as they moved. Kind of a bummer for such an expensive tv to do that. I didn't have enough time to really do more observations but that was very obvious. Hopefully they fix that with an update. What made you think you would see an improvement coming from a Kuro Elite? 4K yeah but everything else doubtful.

Futureshop I doubt did much if any calibrating on it. It doesn't look like that at home.
upstate-avfan-da likes this.

post #304 of 2000 Old 01-02-2014, 08:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

Most likely running in torch mode with backlight turned way up. Mine had almost no issues with the panel.
AccordTR likes this.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #305 of 2000 Old 01-02-2014, 09:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post

Futureshop I doubt did much if any calibrating on it. It doesn't look like that at home.

I know they are not calibrated, but I don't think any calibration can't fix that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate-avfan-da View Post

Most likely running in torch mode with backlight turned way up. Mine had almost no issues with the panel.

Most likely , I didn't have enough time to check. So yours doesn't show halos around people when they are moving? Hopefully that panel was defective.

TV - Panasonic 55GT50 THX, Main Speakers - Klipsch Gallery G28's, Center Channel- Klipsch RC-52, Sub-Klipsch Sub 12, Surround - Klipsch RS-52 II Bluray/Game - HTPC/PS3, Receiver - Onkyo RC-360, HTPC- Intel Core i3, HDMI,Windows 7,XBMC,Bluray,7 TB, Video Processor -Darbee

post #306 of 2000 Old 01-02-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:

I know they are not calibrated, but I don't think any calibration can't fix that.
Most likely , I didn't have enough time to check. So yours doesn't show halos around people when they are moving? Hopefully that panel was defective.

Well I'm watching mine right now, a bluray too, and I don't see the halo you've described.

post #307 of 2000 Old 01-02-2014, 09:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I'm watching mine right now, a bluray too, and I don't see the halo you've described.

Good to Hear , what setting are you using?

post #308 of 2000 Old 01-02-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:

Good to Hear , what setting are you using?

Cnet, but backlight up 2 more and standard color instead of warm. I believe they had back light 6, I'm 8.

post #309 of 2000 Old 01-03-2014, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys, picked this TV up before Christmas and so far no issues. I saw them on display at my local FutureShop and almost bought it then and there. But that would've been an impulse buy. I asked for more info on it and then went home and did my research. My main purpose for the TV will be movies, gaming and PC gaming. My main rig at home is a gaming rig running a pair of GTX780's in SLI. MOBO is the ASUS Rampage IV extreme edition complete with 64GB of DDR3 @ 1866Mhz. For being an "early adopter" I found out that I need to upgrade my receiver as well to something which does 4K upscaling or passthrough. Currently looking at the ONKYO TXNR828 as it can handle all my consoles (PS3, XBOX ONE/360, WiiU and the upcoming PS4). Anyone else having to upgrade their receiver and if so what are you looking at? Also picked up the LG BP730 for the two 4K movies I purchased with it as well. At this time, most of my PC games look phenomenal on this set with the exception of the games that need a higher refresh rate than the 30Hz currently offered by HDMI 1.4. As well the youtube videos that offer a 4K resolution look incredible as well. All of my gaming with the consoles is amazing! Forza 5 is a sight to behold on this set! I did notice the haloing effect as well but changing my Auto Motion Plus to Clear has done away with this. I also paid extra for the calibration to be done on the 16th of this month so that I've at least put 100 hours in with the set by then. Should be interesting to see how different the calibration makes. I also purchased a 32" Samsung for another room earlier this year and I'm happy to say that the remote which came with this set works perfect for it's bigger brother. Sorry to hear about all the issues some of you are having with your sets.frown.gif Honestly, I wouldn't recommend this or any other 4K set to anyone unless they had the rig to offer the 4K content.
post #310 of 2000 Old 01-03-2014, 07:47 AM

Liked: 24
Has anyone used the DirecTV HR44 to interface with the TV? If so do you have an output the run through the AVR? I curious how this works as I have always run the signal from my satellite receiver through my AVR to the TV and this is something new to me. confused.gif
post #311 of 2000 Old 01-03-2014, 09:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by guillermo2627 View Post

i have a problem after update 205 on my un55f9000 or that s what i think. ok the problem is when i power on the red light on the bottonn  of the panel flashes 5 times but it start normally and i can use my tv normal . reading in other sites talk about dont tuening on but in my case it flashes and power on normally. i wnat to know if one of you happend the same think or the red light sensor doesnt flashes on yours tv.

thanks you all.

Mine also blinks 5 times as it's turning on. I think it's normal. Perhaps others just haven't paid attention.

post #312 of 2000 Old 01-03-2014, 10:02 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post

Has anyone used the DirecTV HR44 to interface with the TV? If so do you have an output the run through the AVR? I curious how this works as I have always run the signal from my satellite receiver through my AVR to the TV and this is something new to me. confused.gif

I use the HR24; but it's the same except that the HR44 records more channels and has a bigger hard drive. They both output the same signal over HDMI.

I originally wired my HR24, PS3, and OPPO HDMI outputs direct to the F9000 with an optical digital out to my pre processor (receiver). I wasn't happy with it because the F9000 was frequently giving me 2 ch pcm or the simulated neo 5.1 instead of 5.1 dolby or dts; not to mention that the lossless audio modes on the OPPO and PS3 were useless. I found myself having to go into the F9000 menu/sound frequently to try and select another audio format. Because my pre processor has a "through" video mode that doesn't disturb the video (I've spent lots of effort verifying this); I changed the interconnects to go through the pre processor first and then via HDMI to one input on the F9000. I have the same picture and I'm much happier with the sound.

Prior to the F9000 I hadn't used the pre processor for video, for 3 years, because I was using a video processor which stripped off video and sent the sound to the pre processor. Therefore, I had forgotten that the pre processor had a "clean" through mode and originally wired directly to the F9000.

Bottom line: As long as you are confident that your AVR doesn't harm (do any manipulation) of the video signal, I would connect all components to the AVR and then run HDMI to the F9000. However, I would definitely ensure that the AVR is not doing any upconverting (e.g., to 1080P) prior to sending the signal out. You definitely don't want multiple upconversions (F9000 with upconvert to 2160P) because it will degrade the picture.
post #313 of 2000 Old 01-03-2014, 11:32 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyjake View Post

For all of you so eager to get your hands on the UHD drive, not so fast...

I finally got around to plugging mine in and was blown away for, 3/4 of the first video when the TV crashed. I had a black screen and the TV was on but wouldn't respond to remote commands. I had to unplug the TV to reset it.

After a power cycle, things were back to normal. I tried once again to watch the 4K content and ... BAMB ... tv crashed again.

So much for a 4K TV that can't play 4K content! mad.gifmad.gifmad.gif

The TV was functioning normally before I plugged in the UHD HDD USB and attempted to play the 4K content.

Anyone else have this problem?
Sounds like a Samsung service call is in order.........
post #314 of 2000 Old 01-03-2014, 03:09 PM

Long story short I have the chance to purchase the UN55F9000 for $1950. The one thing holding me back from making the purchase is the fact that the response times are so high. So far I have found through a couple sources that the input response times are between 66-69ms. I do plan on using this TV in conjunction with my PS4 and Xbox One playing first person shooters like KillZone. I may hook up my PC down the road to play games like BF4 and COD:Ghosts but right now that will stay connected to my 1440p monitor. For users that have an Xbox One or PS4 connected what are your thoughts on the input? Is there visible motion blur? Is there anything visually that is off when gaming on it? Sorry if this question has already been answered. I wanted to post before my drive home and see if I could get a response since this $1950 price is time sensitive. Thanks in advance for any input guys!

post #315 of 2000 Old 01-03-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:

Glad I'm not the only one noticing this.. I though the LCD technology over the past 9 years would have improved. I was wrong... 120Hz LCD is still not that good even at 4k. Unfortunately, the stores around me only had either Avatar or the demo material to play so once I got it home I was then finally able to play some real action movies.

If anyone has doubts, have your retailer place a 4k set next to a f8500 / VT or ZT65 plasma, play an action movie (NOT ANIMATED) to both sets from the same feed and you'll see the difference and shortcomings of the 4k set immediately. A 120Hz LCD is just that, like they were years ago..

I have returned my 65" F9000 and now have 2 64" F8500's for the family room and garage.   :)

post #316 of 2000 Old 01-03-2014, 07:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by crrafferty View Post

Long story short I have the chance to purchase the UN55F9000 for $1950. The one thing holding me back from making the purchase is the fact that the response times are so high. So far I have found through a couple sources that the input response times are between 66-69ms. I do plan on using this TV in conjunction with my PS4 and Xbox One playing first person shooters like KillZone. I may hook up my PC down the road to play games like BF4 and COD:Ghosts but right now that will stay connected to my 1440p monitor. For users that have an Xbox One or PS4 connected what are your thoughts on the input? Is there visible motion blur? Is there anything visually that is off when gaming on it? Sorry if this question has already been answered. I wanted to post before my drive home and see if I could get a response since this $1950 price is time sensitive. Thanks in advance for any input guys!

I'm not sure what the ms is on my 55" but I pay bf4 on my ps4 without any issues, I am not really hardcore about it. I don't turn any processes off, I game as is and don't notice lag. A more serious gamer may but I think you'd have to be pretty picky

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #317 of 2000 Old 01-03-2014, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zubius View Post

Glad I'm not the only one noticing this.. I though the LCD technology over the past 9 years would have improved. I was wrong... 120Hz LCD is still not that good even at 4k. Unfortunately, the stores around me only had either Avatar or the demo material to play so once I got it home I was then finally able to play some real action movies.

If anyone has doubts, have your retailer place a 4k set next to a f8500 / VT or ZT65 plasma, play an action movie (NOT ANIMATED) to both sets from the same feed and you'll see the difference and shortcomings of the 4k set immediately. A 120Hz LCD is just that, like they were years ago..

I have returned my 65" F9000 and now have 2 64" F8500's for the family room and garage.   smile.gif

I would strongly disagree with you on this but hey to each their own. You like your plasma, I like my f9000. I don't see any of these huge short comings your talking about.

post #318 of 2000 Old 01-03-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure what the ms is on my 55" but I pay bf4 on my ps4 without any issues, I am not really hardcore about it. I don't turn any processes off, I game as is and don't notice lag. A more serious gamer may but I think you'd have to be pretty picky

As I've said a few times now... I play BF4 on my PS4 on my un65f9000 and have no issues

post #319 of 2000 Old 01-03-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:

I would strongly disagree with you on this but hey to each their own. You like your plasma, I like my f9000. I don't see any of these huge short comings your talking about.

I'm glad your happy with the F9000, AccordTR..  Everyone has their viewing preferences and notice different qualities in the various panels... 120Hz LCD is just not for me.

post #320 of 2000 Old 01-03-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

As I've said a few times now... I play BF4 on my PS4 on my un65f9000 and have no issues

Thanks for the input guys. Guess I'll be a proof owner of a UN55F9000!
post #321 of 2000 Old 01-04-2014, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBAzzkckr View Post

Hey guys, picked this TV up before Christmas and so far no issues. I saw them on display at my local FutureShop and almost bought it then and there. But that would've been an impulse buy. I asked for more info on it and then went home and did my research. My main purpose for the TV will be movies, gaming and PC gaming. My main rig at home is a gaming rig running a pair of GTX780's in SLI. MOBO is the ASUS Rampage IV extreme edition complete with 64GB of DDR3 @ 1866Mhz. For being an "early adopter" I found out that I need to upgrade my receiver as well to something which does 4K upscaling or passthrough. Currently looking at the ONKYO TXNR828 as it can handle all my consoles (PS3, XBOX ONE/360, WiiU and the upcoming PS4). Anyone else having to upgrade their receiver and if so what are you looking at? Also picked up the LG BP730 for the two 4K movies I purchased with it as well. At this time, most of my PC games look phenomenal on this set with the exception of the games that need a higher refresh rate than the 30Hz currently offered by HDMI 1.4. As well the youtube videos that offer a 4K resolution look incredible as well. All of my gaming with the consoles is amazing! Forza 5 is a sight to behold on this set! I did notice the haloing effect as well but changing my Auto Motion Plus to Clear has done away with this. I also paid extra for the calibration to be done on the 16th of this month so that I've at least put 100 hours in with the set by then. Should be interesting to see how different the calibration makes. I also purchased a 32" Samsung for another room earlier this year and I'm happy to say that the remote which came with this set works perfect for it's bigger brother. Sorry to hear about all the issues some of you are having with your sets.frown.gif Honestly, I wouldn't recommend this or any other 4K set to anyone unless they had the rig to offer the 4K content.

I'm in practically the same boat.  Just got the 55 for Christmas, now need to upgrade my obsolete receiver.

Things I'm struggling with:

- I'm using Win7 Media Center to play recorded tv shows.  Used to download lower resolution files, but they now look choppy.  Will have to try 720p or 1080 to see if that helps.

- PC connection to old tv was via monitor cable, new connection is via HDMI.  Not sure if something related to the PC's HDMI is causing the jittery playback on the lower res videos.

- Struggling with the receiver.  There are enough inputs on OneConnect for me now, but with all the sound issues I've read about in this thread, I'm wondering if a receiver with plenty of inputs would simplify things.

- currently have the 55, Samsung's 7500 blu-ray player, x-box, and the Media Center PC.  Geez - how many remotes can you deal with?  Would like to get down to just one remote, or two at most.

Given this mix of toys, any advice on whether to run everything through a receiver, and if so, any receiver suggestions?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.  This is a great thread with plenty of smart people contributing!

post #322 of 2000 Old 01-04-2014, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRBaer View Post

I'm in practically the same boat.  Just got the 55 for Christmas, now need to upgrade my obsolete receiver.

- I'm using Win7 Media Center to play recorded tv shows.  Used to download lower resolution files, but they now look choppy.  Will have to try 720p or 1080 to see if that helps.

- PC connection to old tv was via monitor cable, new connection is via HDMI.  Not sure if something related to the PC's HDMI is causing the jittery playback on the lower res videos.

- Struggling with the receiver.  There are enough inputs on OneConnect for me now, but with all the sound issues I've read about in this thread, I'm wondering if a receiver with plenty of inputs would simplify things.

- currently have the 55, Samsung's 7500 blu-ray player, x-box, and the Media Center PC.  Geez - how many remotes can you deal with?  Would like to get down to just one remote, or two at most.

Given this mix of toys, any advice on whether to run everything through a receiver, and if so, any receiver suggestions?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.  This is a great thread with plenty of smart people contributing!

I guess that depends largely on which receiver you have and what your trying to push through it. If you need 3d or 4k, your receiver may not support it. If your receiver supports all your needs then I would run everything to the receiver and then a single hdmi out to the one connect. I do this myself, everything into the pioneer, and then one hdmi to TV.

post #323 of 2000 Old 01-04-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRBaer View Post

The choppy playback from your PC could be due to your limitations of your graphics card. Does it have a dedicated card and if so are you using the latest driver for it, or is it on board graphics? What resolution monitor were you using before, 1920x1080? Because now you're trying to push a 3840x2160 resolution which is an extreme resolution and you need a decent video card to push that. You don't need a GTX Titan or anything too extreme just something which will push that res, and if you're just using it for media files and such, not gaming then a mid-range card is all you need.

As far as the receiver goes, I'm wondering about that myself. I basically need something which will do HDMI 2.0 and if current gen receivers can't do this is it possible for a future firmware update to fix this?
post #324 of 2000 Old 01-04-2014, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBAzzkckr View Post

The choppy playback from your PC could be due to your limitations of your graphics card. Does it have a dedicated card and if so are you using the latest driver for it, or is it on board graphics? What resolution monitor were you using before, 1920x1080? Because now you're trying to push a 3840x2160 resolution which is an extreme resolution and you need a decent video card to push that. You don't need a GTX Titan or anything too extreme just something which will push that res, and if you're just using it for media files and such, not gaming then a mid-range card is all you need.

As far as the receiver goes, I'm wondering about that myself. I basically need something which will do HDMI 2.0 and if current gen receivers can't do this is it possible for a future firmware update to fix this?

Hdmi 2.0 receivers don't exist yet to buy, but I'm sure ces next week will bring them. I would expect you'll see them in stores around summer. No current models will be upgradable to 2.0 via firmware, you'd need to buy new

post #325 of 2000 Old 01-04-2014, 10:01 AM

Quote:

Hdmi 2.0 receivers don't exist yet to buy, but I'm sure ces next week will bring them. I would expect you'll see them in stores around summer. No current models will be upgradable to 2.0 via firmware, you'd need to buy new

This is what I suspected. There's no rush on this yet anyway until the next one connect with HDMI 2.0 comes out anyway. Besides, my pocketbook is still recovering from the TV purchase.wink.gif
post #326 of 2000 Old 01-04-2014, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Have you guys tried to use an HDMI to DisplayPort cable? Then you could try to run MST mode via the video card.

Most current generation GPUs can run in MST mode to stitch a 4K resolution @ 60Hz. I am not sure if it would still work when you convert the connector to HDMI from DP, but if you have the cable handy it would be something to try.
post #327 of 2000 Old 01-04-2014, 12:49 PM

Well.....just got another 65f9000 delivered from bb......same flashlighting....just wondering. ..everyone that has 65....do u have a bunch of flashlighting going one at boot up screen? Also in the bottom corners on blu ray movies(black letter boxes?....
Am I just being to picky or is this expected?

This is my 3rd set...getting fed up with all the deliveries....1st wasn't bad looking back December manufacture date..The last 2 are November dates....

What do u guys think?
post #328 of 2000 Old 01-04-2014, 04:23 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 646
^^^ These are edge lit units, there will be variation, however there will be some degree of this issue and other issues that come along with edge lit technology.
Quote:

That is all that matters wink.gif Your cash, buy what you like.
post #329 of 2000 Old 01-04-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amercnchopz34 View Post

Well.....just got another 65f9000 delivered from bb......same flashlighting....just wondering. ..everyone that has 65....do u have a bunch of flashlighting going one at boot up screen? Also in the bottom corners on blu ray movies(black letter boxes?....
Am I just being to picky or is this expected?

This is my 3rd set...getting fed up with all the deliveries....1st wasn't bad looking back December manufacture date..The last 2 are November dates....

What do u guys think?

I watch a ton of blu-rays, and the black bar above and below are BLACK. I know plasma is apparently blacker but I really can't complain. I do not see major flash lighting as you've mentioned.

post #330 of 2000 Old 01-04-2014, 04:54 PM

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55f9000 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65f9000 65 Inch 4k Ultra Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page