**Official** Samsung 4K UN55F9000, UN65F9000, and UN85S9 Thread - Page 12 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
First ... 10  11  12 13  14  ... Last
LCD Flat Panel Displays > **Official** Samsung 4K UN55F9000, UN65F9000, and UN85S9 Thread
amercnchopz34's Avatar amercnchopz34 06:16 PM 01-04-2014

AccordTR's Avatar AccordTR 06:28 PM 01-04-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by amercnchopz34 View Post

Ouch, what settings are you on? That is def way worse than mine.
amercnchopz34's Avatar amercnchopz34 06:31 PM 01-04-2014

amercnchopz34's Avatar amercnchopz34 06:32 PM 01-04-2014
Cnet settings.....back light at 9......
Movie...
AccordTR's Avatar AccordTR 07:07 PM 01-04-2014
Quote:

Cnet settings.....back light at 9......
Movie...

I have backlight at 7 and color as standard, ie not warm. The rest is the same
amercnchopz34's Avatar amercnchopz34 07:14 PM 01-04-2014
Yep...i tried it at 7.....not on warm either.....on standard as you do....just wondering if I should call it quits
AccordTR's Avatar AccordTR 07:20 PM 01-04-2014
Quote:

Yep...i tried it at 7.....not on warm either.....on standard as you do....just wondering if I should call it quits

I guess chalk it up to differences in panel and leds?
rlb's Avatar rlb 08:41 AM 01-05-2014
I'm using CNET settings (except backlight on 8 and brightness at 46) and everything not on the active picture is black. From my chair, I really can't differentiate between any top or bottom black bars and the thin black frame/molding around the set. I've tried (for my piece of mind I probably shouldn't try harder) and don't see any clouding or flashlighting.

If it were me, I would ask for another set.
amercnchopz34's Avatar amercnchopz34 10:36 AM 01-05-2014
I have bright house cable...when I channel change from 1080p signal to espn 720p...There is a pause the i get flashlighting through the entire picture change between channels...

Also gaming On xbox one....Forza between screen Loading I get the same flashlighting. ..
The Best Buy delivery guys have said that they have only exchanged 1 till now since they have come out. Now they have done 2 just from me...

Could I be receiving these bad panels or is it just me?
I love the set but dont want these issues that you guys have said don't appear as bad on your sets

What to do
amercnchopz34's Avatar amercnchopz34 10:38 AM 01-05-2014
What is manufacture date on your sets that are not having these issues?
I find it strange that the last 2 sets manufactured in November were worse off than my 1st set manufactured in December

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

I'm using CNET settings (except backlight on 8 and brightness at 46) and everything not on the active picture is black. From my chair, I really can't differentiate between any top or bottom black bars and the thin black frame/molding around the set. I've tried (for my piece of mind I probably shouldn't try harder) and don't see any clouding or flashlighting.

If it were me, I would ask for another set.

AccordTR's Avatar AccordTR 10:51 AM 01-05-2014
Quote:

I have bright house cable...when I channel change from 1080p signal to espn 720p...There is a pause the i get flashlighting through the entire picture change between channels...

Also gaming On xbox one....Forza between screen Loading I get the same flashlighting. ..
The Best Buy delivery guys have said that they have only exchanged 1 till now since they have come out. Now they have done 2 just from me...

Could I be receiving these bad panels or is it just me?
I love the set but dont want these issues that you guys have said don't appear as bad on your sets

What to do

I wondering if the all the TVs at best buy are from the same production batch? I know it sucks but what if you returned, took the cash, and went somewhere else? Perhaps you would get a totally different batch. I really do, 100%, believe your tv is way worse than mine.
AccordTR's Avatar AccordTR 10:52 AM 01-05-2014
Quote:

I find it strange that the last 2 sets manufactured in November were worse off than my 1st set manufactured in December

Where do you find the date on the tv? I bought in early nov so I assume mine is like sept or oct.
rlb's Avatar rlb 11:19 AM 01-05-2014
Quote:

Mine is a November and was bought at Best Buy.

For AccordTR: Build date is on nameplate (same as serial number, etc.) on back of the set. Hopefully you have an easier job that I did reading mine. It's small print and I was using a flashlight and mirror (therefore the printing is backward) from the front left corner.
amercnchopz34's Avatar amercnchopz34 12:34 PM 01-05-2014
I am using a credit from best buy....just upset love tv. But issues for me.....Any other suggestions
flyguyjake's Avatar flyguyjake 01:29 PM 01-05-2014
Quote:

I am using a credit from best buy....just upset love tv. But issues for me.....Any other suggestions

I experienced gray bars once using my HTPC and PowerDVD with extreme flash-lighting. I was freaking out. I power cycled the HTPC and TV and it corrected itself. Have you tried multiple playback devices to test with? Have you tried different hdmi cables?

Did you update the firmware?

Have you contacted Samsung? Ask them for an exchange directly, perhaps you'll get a newer batch? Perhaps you only need the one connect box exchanged?

I had a previous Samsung led tv and they were plagued with panel problems but Samsung was offering exchanges directly and in some circumstances they were offering refunds. Samsung has great customer service, give them a chance to help you.

Do you have the geek squad protection plan? Be sure to get one if you don't! They are worth their weight in gold!

You are paying a lot for this TV and you should be 100% happy. If you're not, do not settle. If after you feel that you have exhausted all of your options, and Samsung hasn't satisfied you then (dare I say) consider the Sony 4k TV.
flyguyjake's Avatar flyguyjake 01:33 PM 01-05-2014
Quote:

Have you tried running "Self Diagnosis" in the Support menu?

Are you set to "Home Use" under Support>Use Mode ?
amercnchopz34's Avatar amercnchopz34 02:49 PM 01-05-2014
Not sure what HTPC is...sorry...i do have the protection plan from best buy....I bought the 5 yr protection plan

...i guess it won't do me any good if I can't find a tv that is free of defects. ..

Have not tried samsung. ...i just thought I would get a good set...

Is in home use.....

Would The Set Still Be Covered From Best Buy?
flyguyjake's Avatar flyguyjake 04:06 PM 01-05-2014
Try running the self diagnosis see what it comes up with. You would need to speak with a BestBuy store manager to find out if the "samsung exchanged" set would still be covered. I would think so since the money stays with BestBuy but they would need to associate the new serial # of the TV to the geek squad plan. I believe the tv serial numbers are associated to their plans.
amercnchopz34's Avatar amercnchopz34 04:17 PM 01-05-2014
Thanks...tried self diagnosis. ..looked good..called samsung. ..they will not switch out unless the have a tech come out and confirm that it not right...then if he deems it bad....that's when they would replace it

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyjake View Post

Try running the self diagnosis see what it comes up with. You would need to speak with a BestBuy store manager to find out if the "samsung exchanged" set would still be covered. I would think so since the money stays with BestBuy but they would need to associate the new serial # of the TV to the geek squad plan. I believe the tv serial numbers are associated to their plans.

Rishikesh100's Avatar Rishikesh100 09:09 PM 01-05-2014

Any US member of this forum, who have received the free feature length documentaries from Samsung and run it once to ensure its error free performance, can check whether the contents can be copied to other portable HDD and offer it to other lesser mortals? Please raise your hands in solidarity. Thanks a zillion, if you come forward.

AccordTR's Avatar AccordTR 09:11 PM 01-05-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rishikesh100 View Post

Any US member of this forum, who have received the free feature length documentaries from Samsung and run it once to ensure its error free performance, can check whether the contents can be copied to other portable HDD and offer it to other lesser mortals? Please raise your hands in solidarity. Thanks a zillion, if you come forward.

I've been begging for a month!!!!
amercnchopz34's Avatar amercnchopz34 05:37 AM 01-06-2014
Well.....i might have one to get rid of.....i am returning the tv .....just not understanding why getting a set without issues is so difficult. Again I love the tv but can't deal with edge lit tvs.....
Just going to take my credit and wait to see what comes out of CES this year....

Thanks guys
eric3316's Avatar eric3316 05:49 AM 01-06-2014
Quote:

Well.....i might have one to get rid of.....i am returning the tv .....just not understanding why getting a set without issues is so difficult. Again I love the tv but can't deal with edge lit tvs.....
Just going to take my credit and wait to see what comes out of CES this year....

Thanks guys
You just answered your own question. Edge lit technology equals problems. Every tech seems to have their fair share of problems though, it is just a matter of which ones you can live with. I personally think edge lit LED's have introduced some of the worst TV problems I have ever seen though. The tech the way it currently is should have never reached consumer success they way it did. Manufacturers should have taken one look at these screens and the lighting issues and said we can't sell this crap like this, instead they sold it as the greatest TV tech to date and people ate it up. It just amazes me.
p5browne's Avatar p5browne 09:03 AM 01-06-2014
The MAJORITY of Consumers purchasing TVs don't give a damm about Edge Lit, as long as they get it for a certain price point, and it has Colour (and it's not Plasma) - they're happy! So if the MAJORITY are happy, and buy into the Edge Lit without issues, manufacturer's will continue to sell it! Secondly, Videophiles don't like it! They know it has issues. Plus, add on the fact 120 Hz should be another Red Flag!
Think about it, Edge Lit on a 32" probably doesn't have issues, but as you go up in size, there's going to be nothing but issues as you get further and further away from the Centre of the Screen to the Edge!
AccordTR's Avatar AccordTR 09:27 AM 01-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by p5browne View Post

The MAJORITY of Consumers purchasing TVs don't give a damm about Edge Lit, as long as they get it for a certain price point, and it has Colour (and it's not Plasma) - they're happy! So if the MAJORITY are happy, and buy into the Edge Lit without issues, manufacturer's will continue to sell it! Secondly, Videophiles don't like it! They know it has issues. Plus, add on the fact 120 Hz should be another Red Flag!
Think about it, Edge Lit on a 32" probably doesn't have issues, but as you go up in size, there's going to be nothing but issues as you get further and further away from the Centre of the Screen to the Edge!

Can we please try to keep the thread on topic, ie actually discussing the tv, instead of giving personal opinions that bash etc. Some of us are 100% happy with our f9000 and I am a "video/picture" person. I don't see issues with edge lit or 120hz.
Sokarul's Avatar Sokarul 09:38 AM 01-06-2014
KS7Iw1

Wish they had a full change...

crrafferty's Avatar crrafferty 12:08 PM 01-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post

Can we please try to keep the thread on topic, ie actually discussing the tv, instead of giving personal opinions that bash etc. Some of us are 100% happy with our f9000 and I am a "video/picture" person. I don't see issues with edge lit or 120hz.

+1 I love my new UN55F9000. I can't wait for my new 3D/4K up-scaling bluray player to arrive. Pacific Rim looks awesome, can't wait to watch Avatar in 3D! On a side note does anyone know why BestBuy is a bunch of idiots? They looked at me like I was crazy when I inquired about purchasing a 4K Mastered Blu-ray and told me oh we won't have those for months. Long story short, I just ordered 4 of them from Amazon last night and they will be here tomorrow. I love going into retail stores and knowing more about merchandise than the employees.

rlb's Avatar rlb 12:50 PM 01-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by crrafferty View Post

+1 I love my new UN55F9000. I can't wait for my new 3D/4K up-scaling bluray player to arrive. Pacific Rim looks awesome, can't wait to watch Avatar in 3D! On a side note does anyone know why BestBuy is a bunch of idiots? They looked at me like I was crazy when I inquired about purchasing a 4K Mastered Blu-ray and told me oh we won't have those for months. Long story short, I just ordered 4 of them from Amazon last night and they will be here tomorrow. I love going into retail stores and knowing more about merchandise than the employees.

4K mastered doesn't mean they are 4K on the disc; just that the master was 4K. They were then down converted to 1080P to put them on the disc. In fact if they were truly UHD, you have nothing to play them. I'm sure they are 1080P out of your Blu Ray player and must be upconverted to 2160P by the F9000. The Best Buy employees thought you were talking about actual 4K discs.

By the way, your up-scaling player will merely upscale to UHD, which means your F9000 doesn't have to do it. It's hard to tell which will do a better job. I've read articles where the reviewer preferred the upconversion of the F9000 over the process in an OPPO 103/105 (use Marvell's Kyoto-G2H video processor with the latest generation Qdeo technology which is considered an excellent solution). You will have to compare the two to see which you prefer.
crrafferty's Avatar crrafferty 01:06 PM 01-06-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

4K mastered doesn't mean they are 4K on the disc; just that the master was 4K. They were then down converted to 1080P to put them on the disc. . In fact if they were truly UHD, you have nothing to play them. I'm sure they are 1080P out of your Blu Ray player and must be upconverted to 2160P by the F9000. The Best Buy employees thought you were talking about actual 4K discs.

Why would the Best Buy employees think I was talking about 4k Blu-rays when I specifically asked for Mastered in 4K Blu-ray. Everyone who works in the media section and home theater area should know the difference between 4k Blu-ray and these 4k mastered Blu-rays. They should know the proper names to the technology they sell. I was simply stating they are idiots at Best Buy lol. With that being said is there any information on what movies will be released in 4k this summer?

carnage9270's Avatar carnage9270 02:47 PM 01-06-2014

I love my UN65F9000. Looks absolutely stunning, especially films that were originally shot in 4k. The sad part is how far off 4k technology really is.

The average size of a bluray that was originally mastered in 4k is about 40 gigs. So if it takes 4 1080p files to push 1080p to 4k you are talking about a file size of around 160gig. That's 4 bluray discs you'd have to swap out to play an entire movie. The only other option would be releasing them to large thumb drives or hard drives. That just wouldn't be an effective delivery method. So really it comes down to another media type (post Bluray). Looong ways off.

So we are stuck for quite a while before we start seeing actual 4k content, unless of course they stream it to you, but that's a ton of bandwidth they'd be sacrificing (28Megabyte - not megabit -per sec download capability per person).

Tags: Samsung Un55f9000 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65f9000 65 Inch 4k Ultra Led Hdtv
First ... 10  11  12 13  14  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop