**Official** Samsung 4K UN55F9000, UN65F9000, and UN85S9 Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 39Likes

post #361 of 1910 Old 01-06-2014, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

4K mastered doesn't mean they are 4K on the disc; just that the master was 4K. They were then down converted to 1080P to put them on the disc. . In fact if they were truly UHD, you have nothing to play them. I'm sure they are 1080P out of your Blu Ray player and must be upconverted to 2160P by the F9000. The Best Buy employees thought you were talking about actual 4K discs.

Why would the Best Buy employees think I was talking about 4k Blu-rays when I specifically asked for Mastered in 4K Blu-ray. Everyone who works in the media section and home theater area should know the difference between 4k Blu-ray and these 4k mastered Blu-rays. They should know the proper names to the technology they sell. I was simply stating they are idiots at Best Buy lol. With that being said is there any information on what movies will be released in 4k this summer?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 1910 Old 01-06-2014, 01:47 PM

Liked: 19

I love my UN65F9000. Looks absolutely stunning, especially films that were originally shot in 4k. The sad part is how far off 4k technology really is.

The average size of a bluray that was originally mastered in 4k is about 40 gigs. So if it takes 4 1080p files to push 1080p to 4k you are talking about a file size of around 160gig. That's 4 bluray discs you'd have to swap out to play an entire movie. The only other option would be releasing them to large thumb drives or hard drives. That just wouldn't be an effective delivery method. So really it comes down to another media type (post Bluray). Looong ways off.

So we are stuck for quite a while before we start seeing actual 4k content, unless of course they stream it to you, but that's a ton of bandwidth they'd be sacrificing (28Megabyte - not megabit -per sec download capability per person).

post #363 of 1910 Old 01-06-2014, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnage9270 View Post

I love my UN65F9000. Looks absolutely stunning, especially films that were originally shot in 4k. The sad part is how far off 4k technology really is.

The average size of a bluray that was originally mastered in 4k is about 40 gigs. So if it takes 4 1080p files to push 1080p to 4k you are talking about a file size of around 160gig. That's 4 bluray discs you'd have to swap out to play an entire movie. The only other option would be releasing them to large thumb drives or hard drives. That just wouldn't be an effective delivery method. So really it comes down to another media type (post Bluray). Looong ways off.

So we are stuck for quite a while before we start seeing actual 4k content, unless of course they stream it to you, but that's a ton of bandwidth they'd be sacrificing (28Megabyte - not megabit -per sec download capability per person).

We really aren't that far away at all. Back in 2010 companies already stated they had 1TB BD-R's. So placing true 4k content isn't really a big deal at all. Hell I wouldn't mind USB's at all. Easy storage, highly durable, longer life than a disk.

Edit: I totally forgot about H.264 which allows UHD and 4K to be compressed to fit on the current Bluray generation disks.

post #364 of 1910 Old 01-06-2014, 02:47 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

4K mastered doesn't mean they are 4K on the disc; just that the master was 4K. They were then down converted to 1080P to put them on the disc. In fact if they were truly UHD, you have nothing to play them. I'm sure they are 1080P out of your Blu Ray player and must be upconverted to 2160P by the F9000. The Best Buy employees thought you were talking about actual 4K discs.

By the way, your up-scaling player will merely upscale to UHD, which means your F9000 doesn't have to do it. It's hard to tell which will do a better job. I've read articles where the reviewer preferred the upconversion of the F9000 over the process in an OPPO 103/105 (use Marvell's Kyoto-G2H video processor with the latest generation Qdeo technology which is considered an excellent solution). You will have to compare the two to see which you prefer.

This is completely 100% correct! Mastered in 4k is a marketing scam basically by sony. These blus are 1080p and will upscale on the f9000 no different than any other bluray. They will look no better. Anyone remember superbit DVDs, same crap idea

Samsung UHD 4K UN65F9000, Sharp LC46D64U,
Shaw HD PVR Gateway and Portals,
PS4 500gb launch edition,
Samsung BD-P3600, Sony BDP-S470,
Pioneer VSX-1026, Monster Power HDP 2550
Polk Audio 7.1- CS1, Monitor 70s, Monitor 60s, Monitor 40s, PSW505,
Blu-Ray collection- 572 and counting. See them here

post #365 of 1910 Old 01-06-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post

This is completely 100% correct! Mastered in 4k is a marketing scam basically by sony. These blus are 1080p and will upscale on the f9000 no different than any other bluray. They will look no better. Anyone remember superbit DVDs, same crap idea

Oh very true it is but technically doesn't it increase the frame rates and bits from 8 to 10?

post #366 of 1910 Old 01-06-2014, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crrafferty View Post

Oh very true it is but technically doesn't it increase the frame rates and bits from 8 to 10?

Lol no it doesn't, just another marketing ploy to sell catalog titles. Superbit was a scam and did nothing to increase the quality of a DVD. Sony's mastered in 4k is the same idea, sell more catalog by saying it's better, when it's not. Mastered in 4k are still 1080p, regular blurays, just compressed from a 4k master. Funny thing is a TON of movies have already been compressed to bluray from 4k masters.

post #367 of 1910 Old 01-06-2014, 08:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crrafferty View Post

+1 I love my new UN55F9000. I can't wait for my new 3D/4K up-scaling bluray player to arrive. Pacific Rim looks awesome, can't wait to watch Avatar in 3D! On a side note does anyone know why BestBuy is a bunch of idiots? They looked at me like I was crazy when I inquired about purchasing a 4K Mastered Blu-ray and told me oh we won't have those for months. Long story short, I just ordered 4 of them from Amazon last night and they will be here tomorrow. I love going into retail stores and knowing more about merchandise than the employees.

I got both Elysium and Spiderman, both look great but not sure on a comparison. Some attributed sure to better transfer and some may be "easier" upconversion. I think they are really meant for the Sony 4K tv's since those have some way to recognize the expanded color gamut. Anyway I still love mine.

Watched "The Last Reef" 4K documentary and was really engrossed sure to the quality and content.

Anyone out here get theirs calibrated by a pro? My only option in my area is geek squad, may not be that bad since they have a couple of experienced techs for the calibrations at my local store but not sure how "schooled" anyone really is with calibrating the F9000 yet.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
post #368 of 1910 Old 01-06-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate-avfan-da View Post

Anyone out here get theirs calibrated by a pro? My only option in my area is geek squad, may not be that bad since they have a couple of experienced techs for the calibrations at my local store but not sure how "schooled" anyone really is with calibrating the F9000 yet.

I've got the calibration scheduled for the 16th of this month. Which is basically when I will have logged at least a hundred hours with the set by then, probably beyond that now. Will keep you posted after the calibration to see if there worth it or not.
post #369 of 1910 Old 01-06-2014, 09:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBAzzkckr View Post

I've got the calibration scheduled for the 16th of this month. Which is basically when I will have logged at least a hundred hours with the set by then, probably beyond that now. Will keep you posted after the calibration to see if there worth it or not.

Cool, I'd imagine I have passed the break in period since 1 month. TV is on everyday we are home for at least 5-7 hours during the week and like 12 on the weekends.

post #370 of 1910 Old 01-06-2014, 10:09 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Is there any way to run 4k YouTube vids like the Elysium trailer on the F9000 without a powerful PC doing the processing? I've tried both the TV's YouTube app and the browser and neither can do it. And my Laptop can't handle 4k.

Also, want to get Netflix next month when they start streaming 4k. Anyone in the US know if there's a Netflix app on the TV that can do 4k? Netflix isn't available in Australia so I'll need to use a router VPN to get it up and running.
post #371 of 1910 Old 01-07-2014, 05:51 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by NazPattison View Post

Is there any way to run 4k YouTube vids like the Elysium trailer on the F9000 without a powerful PC doing the processing? I've tried both the TV's YouTube app and the browser and neither can do it. And my Laptop can't handle 4k.

Also, want to get Netflix next month when they start streaming 4k. Anyone in the US know if there's a Netflix app on the TV that can do 4k? Netflix isn't available in Australia so I'll need to use a router VPN to get it up and running.

Just read where they have a partnership with Netflix for the 2014 models to stream their 4K. I would bet that the current connection box won't handle it; but the "upgrade" box available later in the year will provide the capability contained in the upcoming 2014 models.
post #372 of 1910 Old 01-07-2014, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Just read where they have a partnership with Netflix for the 2014 models to stream their 4K. I would bet that the current connection box won't handle it; but the "upgrade" box available later in the year will provide the capability contained in the upcoming 2014 models.

I read the same and agree. I suppose it's a bit of a leap of faith that Samsung will support these sets going forward. I'm not that concerned with "better color, deeper blacks, faster refresh", etc. That's the nature of progress for any tech. I just don't want to get shut out of 4K delivery developments. The modular components certainly make it probable or at least possible.
post #373 of 1910 Old 01-07-2014, 07:40 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

By the way, your up-scaling player will merely upscale to UHD, which means your F9000 doesn't have to do it. It's hard to tell which will do a better job. I've read articles where the reviewer preferred the upconversion of the F9000 over the process in an OPPO 103/105 (use Marvell's Kyoto-G2H video processor with the latest generation Qdeo technology which is considered an excellent solution). You will have to compare the two to see which you prefer.

This is interesting though I don't necessarily agree with the reviewer if that was the conclusion. I'm stating the obvious here but the lack of any native 4k content means that virtually everything is upconverted and there's only enough data from the source to populate half the display. These rest is a complex "best guess" of what should be displayed. I have the 65f9000, Direct TV and the Oppo 103D. Obviously a good blu-ray beats all but I'm inclined to think that the player has alot to do with it. Almost as remarkable as blu-rays or 3d blu-rays look are how good some SD DVD's look. My wife has the boxed set of The Waltons (no laughing) and they're SD disks of a TV show from the 70's? It shocking how good they look through the Oppo. The detail is at least as good as many of the supposedly HD channels coming from Direct TV which I have going straight to the F9000.

I supposed a good test would be to run the Direct TV signal through the Oppo's input and see if there is a difference and/or dig up a standard DVD player a see how the tv handles the upconversion of an SD DVD.
post #374 of 1910 Old 01-07-2014, 09:45 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjs2000 View Post

I read the same and agree. I suppose it's a bit of a leap of faith that Samsung will support these sets going forward. I'm not that concerned with "better color, deeper blacks, faster refresh", etc. That's the nature of progress for any tech. I just don't want to get shut out of 4K delivery developments. The modular components certainly make it probable or at least possible.

All the reviewers, I presume after talking to Samsung, say they have the safest upgrade path for UHD (i.e., compared to Sony's promised firmware) because they will provide new hardware (HDMI connections).
post #375 of 1910 Old 01-07-2014, 10:25 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I have a quick question, I'm looking at the UN55F9000. I just read some of the new features Samsung announced at CES such as Pur Color, Multi-Link feature and added multimedia tab. My question is if I purchase the UN55F9000 and then purchase a upgraded connect one box later on when they become available will I get access to these new features? Samsung describes the 9000 series as future proof so I would think so but not sure. I'd like to purchase a TV now but having not seen what the prices of the new TV's mentioned at CES (specifically the 8550 which is rumored to be available in April) I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger; but if purchasing an updated connect one box will bring the new features I'd feel a lot safer about purchasing now. Thanks for any advice!
post #376 of 1910 Old 01-07-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiee2cu View Post

I have a quick question, I'm looking at the UN55F9000. I just read some of the new features Samsung announced at CES such as Pur Color, Multi-Link feature and added multimedia tab. My question is if I purchase the UN55F9000 and then purchase a upgraded connect one box later on when they become available will I get access to these new features? Samsung describes the 9000 series as future proof so I would think so but not sure. I'd like to purchase a TV now but having not seen what the prices of the new TV's mentioned at CES (specifically the 8550 which is rumored to be available in April) I'm a little hesitant to pull the trigger; but if purchasing an updated connect one box will bring the new features I'd feel a lot safer about purchasing now. Thanks for any advice!

No will be able to answer this question yet (unless something has been announced at CES). All we know is that the 2nd Generation Connect One box will have HDMI 2.0. Going with Samsung's current track record with the evolution kit I'd be willing to guess we will get the new features. But it is still speculation.

post #377 of 1910 Old 01-07-2014, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

My guess is anything software based will be offered on the new box. Anything related to the physical panel will be impossible. Only thing we will miss out on would be any upgrades in terms of backlight tech, panel bit-depth (what is the F9000 anyway, I cannot find the spec), color gamut. Anything else should be fair game. The netflix app would definitely be part of it. I highly doubt they would cut off any major updates for the next 2-3 years at least.

post #378 of 1910 Old 01-07-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:

My guess is anything software based will be offered on the new box. Anything related to the physical panel will be impossible. Only thing we will miss out on would be any upgrades in terms of backlight tech, panel bit-depth (what is the F9000 anyway, I cannot find the spec), color gamut. Anything else should be fair game. The netflix app would definitely be part of it. I highly doubt they would cut off any major updates for the next 2-3 years at least.

I talked to one samsung rep when they were demoing the f9000 as an event. That's when I bought mine. He said that samsung will 100% support the f9000 with the new one connect and an evolution kit for the back. I feel pretty confident we will be ok this round of upgrades. What our cost will be thou is anyone's guess. For a new connect and Evo kit I'm sure it's going to be $400-500 no problem.

post #379 of 1910 Old 01-07-2014, 05:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I talked to one samsung rep when they were demoing the f9000 as an event. That's when I bought mine. He said that samsung will 100% support the f9000 with the new one connect and an evolution kit for the back. I feel pretty confident we will be ok this round of upgrades. What our cost will be thou is anyone's guess. For a new connect and Evo kit I'm sure it's going to be $400-500 no problem.

Isnt there no "evo kit" like non-uhd sets? One connect is all we should need I think. Hopefully it will top at $200/250.

post #380 of 1910 Old 01-07-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:

Isnt there no "evo kit" like non-uhd sets? One connect is all we should need I think. Hopefully it will top at $200/250.

I asked him that. He said Evo will have software for providing the 2014 features. One connect will provide the new chips, memory, and hdmi 2.0. So I'm just going by what he said so guess we'll see in about 6 months

post #381 of 1910 Old 01-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I asked him that. He said Evo will have software for providing the 2014 features. One connect will provide the new chips, memory, and hdmi 2.0. So I'm just going by what he said so guess we'll see in about 6 months

Now I found where I saw it... cnet:The set will also be compatible with future Smart Evolution kits, but they'll be wholly different in form from the current version. Instead of attaching like a lamprey to the back of the TV, future Evolution Kits for the F9000 will replace its current One Connect box -- which contains not only the physical inputs described below but also, apparently, the TV's "brains" (processor, memory, etc.). Beyond Samsung's promise that a future version of the box will offer compatibility with the HDMI 2.0 specification, it remains to be seen how much such kits cost and what improvements they offer.

But anyway lets hope for $300 or under :-)

post #382 of 1910 Old 01-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Advanced Member

Good news for 4k content coming (new one connect probably a prerequisite).

http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/06/samsung-4k-content-deals/

post #383 of 1910 Old 01-07-2014, 08:16 PM

Quote:

Great for you Americans but nothing as usual for the rest of the world

post #384 of 1910 Old 01-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Great for you Americans but nothing as usual for the rest of the world

I am sure the majority will be open to other countries. This is via smart hub and "for sale" hdd. If they want people to buy the tv's this will have to be in all the major markets. Fingers crossed for you.

But it still pisses me off a little that there will be gorgeous content but crappy stereo sound since I cannot get output from tv to avr (spdif or arc) to work in 5.1. Ok for tv shows but for movies it needs to work.

post #385 of 1910 Old 01-07-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:

I am sure the majority will be open to other countries. This is via smart hub and "for sale" hdd. If they want people to buy the tv's this will have to be in all the major markets. Fingers crossed for you.

But it still pisses me off a little that there will be gorgeous content but crappy stereo sound since I cannot get output from tv to avr (spdif or arc) to work in 5.1. Ok for tv shows but for movies it needs to work.

I honestly doubt we will get any of it in Canada. There is no comcast, no amazon video service, no directv, and we have Canadian Netflix which is no where near the USA version.

We also were not allowed to get the Samsung hdd with purchase, so I see no reason that we will be able to buy this one. Sony's 4k media hub, no surprise, doesn't work in Canada.

post #386 of 1910 Old 01-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I honestly doubt we will get any of it in Canada. There is no comcast, no amazon video service, no directv, and we have Canadian Netflix which is no where near the USA version.

The comcast relation is since they own NBC Universal, but that's an eye opener that you have no amazon/regular netflix.

post #387 of 1910 Old 01-07-2014, 08:29 PM

Quote:

The comcast relation is since they own NBC Universal, but that's an eye opener that you have no amazon/regular netflix.

Yeah it's def not what you'd think. It's not looking good outside the USA for any if this content.

post #388 of 1910 Old 01-08-2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:

What they don't tell you is that without compression most of the viewers wont have the bandwidth to stream it. 28 megabytes per second to stream uncompressed 4k content. It'll be better than the quality they stream now (blurays are slightly better than dvd quality atm) but won't be anywhere near full 4k quality to make it available for the masses.

post #389 of 1910 Old 01-08-2014, 09:52 AM

Wow - there's a ton of content in this thread!

I'm trying to put together a "modernization" strategy to catch all of my gear up in the coming year or so.  I was going to do more now, but with HDMI 2.0 on the near horizon I'd be better to re-think that.  So here goes...

Let me know what you think...

- Just bought a 55F9000 :-)

- Just bought a Samsung BD7500 BluRay player. 

- have a 6 year old Media Center PC (Windows).  it has HDMI and will output 1080i/p - but it is showing it's age.

- there is also an XBOX in the house, and even a Wee

- ancient AVR - standard video only - no HDMI

Here's the plan:

1. Upgrade Media Center PC to Haswell-based board (Z87).  Just use the integrated HDMI for now.

- don't need 4k yet - all of my content is 1080 or 720 - current HDMI will run fine at 1080

- as mentioned many times, the 9000 is great at upscaling 1080

- leave it connected to OneConnect for now

2.  New 4k OneConnect when available

3.  New 4k AVR when they are available

- will continue to play music through old AVR in the mean time

- sound from 55F9000 is good enough for watching TV, not good for BluRay but I can wait.

4.  New 4k-compatible graphics card when they are available

Step 1 will be done soon, steps 2-4 will be done as the products become available.

Any comments or suggestions appreciated!

post #390 of 1910 Old 01-08-2014, 10:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnage9270 View Post

What they don't tell you is that without compression most of the viewers wont have the bandwidth to stream it. 28 megabytes per second to stream uncompressed 4k content. It'll be better than the quality they stream now (blurays are slightly better than dvd quality atm) but won't be anywhere near full 4k quality to make it available for the masses.

The new HVEC codec will allow higher quality streaming with 15mbs bitrate. I think it'll be a nice improvement. But the real gem will be whenever 4K blu rays finally come.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55f9000 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65f9000 65 Inch 4k Ultra Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page