**Official** Samsung 4K UN55F9000, UN65F9000, and UN85S9 Thread - Page 15 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #421 of 2000 Old 01-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Senior Member
 
flyguyjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Photos of the new U8550





flyguyjake is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #422 of 2000 Old 01-12-2014, 04:24 PM
Senior Member
 
AccordTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyjake View Post

Photos of the new U8550





I'm trying to find out if this replaces the f9000? It seems like a lesser model because the model number is less, ie u8550.

Samsung UHD 4K UN65F9000, Sharp LC46D64U,
Shaw HD PVR Gateway and Portals,
PS4 500gb launch edition,
Samsung BD-P3600, Sony BDP-S470,
Pioneer VSX-1026, Monster Power HDP 2550
Polk Audio 7.1- CS1, Monitor 70s, Monitor 60s, Monitor 40s, PSW505,
Blu-Ray collection- 572 and counting. See them here

AccordTR is offline  
post #423 of 2000 Old 01-12-2014, 05:13 PM
Advanced Member
 
upstate-avfan-da's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post

I'm trying to find out if this replaces the f9000? It seems like a lesser model because the model number is less, ie u8550.

I believe so, the 8550 is flat where the 9000 will be curved.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
upstate-avfan-da is offline  
post #424 of 2000 Old 01-12-2014, 06:58 PM
Senior Member
 
flyguyjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
If it really is the replacement for the F9000, It's ugly I think and model numbers shouldn't go backwards. That's very confusing for companies selling the products.
AccordTR likes this.

flyguyjake is offline  
post #425 of 2000 Old 01-12-2014, 06:59 PM
Senior Member
 
AccordTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyjake View Post

If it really is the replacement for the F9000, It's ugly I think and model numbers shouldn't go backwards. That's very confusing for companies selling the products.

Agreed. It looks soooo much cheaper than the f9000, esp the stand.

Samsung UHD 4K UN65F9000, Sharp LC46D64U,
Shaw HD PVR Gateway and Portals,
PS4 500gb launch edition,
Samsung BD-P3600, Sony BDP-S470,
Pioneer VSX-1026, Monster Power HDP 2550
Polk Audio 7.1- CS1, Monitor 70s, Monitor 60s, Monitor 40s, PSW505,
Blu-Ray collection- 572 and counting. See them here

AccordTR is offline  
post #426 of 2000 Old 01-12-2014, 07:02 PM
Senior Member
 
flyguyjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
So I tried playing the UHD HDD videos again over the weekend and everything played back normally. Not sure why they were freezing up the TV before, but they are working now. Amazingly unreal clarity. I truly cannot be more happy with this TV.

I'm not a fan of all these curved 2014 tv's at all, even the bendable tv. Really?

Can't wait for 8k!!! lol

flyguyjake is offline  
post #427 of 2000 Old 01-12-2014, 07:38 PM
Senior Member
 
flyguyjake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
flyguyjake is offline  
post #428 of 2000 Old 01-13-2014, 09:13 AM
Member
 
wookiee2cu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, WA.
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnage9270 View Post

I really hope that holds true but I strongly doubt it. The one connect boxes are the whole enchilada, processor, HDMI, HEVC....everything.

My guess...$750-$999, which will make me a sad puppy.

Would be shocked if it was $1,000, I mean that's one third the cost of the 55" 9000 model, just don't see it happening. Hoping no more than $400 for the new one connect box. One thing I noticed in the link posted earlier regarding the new one connect box is that it said it will include the new remote which looks pretty interesting compared to the current one. Finally decided to go ahead and purchase the current UN55F9000 at BestBuy but not going to order it until the 18th as BestBuy has a 15 day price match policy so if it goes on sale for Super Bowl (which stores will sometimes have sales for this event) I will still be in that 15 day period and get some money back should it apply to this tv.
wookiee2cu is offline  
post #429 of 2000 Old 01-13-2014, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
upstate-avfan-da's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiee2cu View Post

Would be shocked if it was $1,000, I mean that's one third the cost of the 55" 9000 model, just don't see it happening. Hoping no more than $400 for the new one connect box. One thing I noticed in the link posted earlier regarding the new one connect box is that it said it will include the new remote which looks pretty interesting compared to the current one. Finally decided to go ahead and purchase the current UN55F9000 at BestBuy but not going to order it until the 18th as BestBuy has a 15 day price match policy so if it goes on sale for Super Bowl (which stores will sometimes have sales for this event) I will still be in that 15 day period and get some money back should it apply to this tv.

Not sure about the remote, on one side I think they finally added dvr control buttons but on the other the touch pad is smaller. It's already really small lol.

Good thinking about waiting, never hurts to be careful but I think the reductions will come on F7100 and lower.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
upstate-avfan-da is offline  
post #430 of 2000 Old 01-14-2014, 09:52 AM
Member
 
wookiee2cu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, WA.
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Yes the touch pad is significantly smaller but it looks like the area around it is a 4-way rocker, that may make it easier to navigate the selections instead of swiping a few times to go across the screen. I don't have the current remote so I'm not sure how sensitive it is, ie if it takes 2-3 swipes to go from one side of the screen to the other side or only 1 swipe. Either way if I purchase the current model and then get the new one connect box I'll be able to choose which one I prefer (assuming the current remote will work with the new one connect box but I'd be a little surprised if it didn't).
wookiee2cu is offline  
post #431 of 2000 Old 01-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Member
 
carnage9270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiee2cu View Post


Would be shocked if it was $1,000, I mean that's one third the cost of the 55" 9000 model, just don't see it happening. Hoping no more than $400 for the new one connect box. One thing I noticed in the link posted earlier regarding the new one connect box is that it said it will include the new remote which looks pretty interesting compared to the current one. Finally decided to go ahead and purchase the current UN55F9000 at BestBuy but not going to order it until the 18th as BestBuy has a 15 day price match policy so if it goes on sale for Super Bowl (which stores will sometimes have sales for this event) I will still be in that 15 day period and get some money back should it apply to this tv.

Wasn't it's original price $5,599? That's the only reason I could see them ramping up the price of a complete upgrade. Like I sad, hopefully it stays low. <$500 would be perfect imo.

carnage9270 is offline  
post #432 of 2000 Old 01-14-2014, 10:39 AM
Senior Member
 
AccordTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnage9270 View Post

Wasn't it's original price $5,599? That's the only reason I could see them ramping up the price of a complete upgrade. Like I sad, hopefully it stays low. <$500 would be perfect imo.

Given the price of a quad core processor and memory, add in the hdmi inputs and handling chips, I'd guess about $500ish. It's not going to be super cheap, its basically 50% of the TV in there

Samsung UHD 4K UN65F9000, Sharp LC46D64U,
Shaw HD PVR Gateway and Portals,
PS4 500gb launch edition,
Samsung BD-P3600, Sony BDP-S470,
Pioneer VSX-1026, Monster Power HDP 2550
Polk Audio 7.1- CS1, Monitor 70s, Monitor 60s, Monitor 40s, PSW505,
Blu-Ray collection- 572 and counting. See them here

AccordTR is offline  
post #433 of 2000 Old 01-14-2014, 11:29 AM
Member
 
wookiee2cu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Seattle, WA.
Posts: 123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnage9270 View Post

Wasn't it's original price $5,599? That's the only reason I could see them ramping up the price of a complete upgrade. Like I sad, hopefully it stays low. <$500 would be perfect imo.

Yes when it originally came out it was around that price, I think it was around late October it seemed as if all the 4k manufacturers slashed their prices. I'm guessing they realized they weren't quite hitting the general consumer market with the initial prices. Initially I was looking at the 60" 8000 series and then they slashed the prices and the 9000 started looking a lot more appealing for only $500 more, especially the one connect box feature.
wookiee2cu is offline  
post #434 of 2000 Old 01-14-2014, 12:49 PM
Newbie
 
TiVolunteer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
New owner of an UN55F9000 here.

I've adjusted the settings to match the CNET Settings and, for the most part, I'm happy with what I'm seeing. However, I've been extremely surprised by the limited viewing angles on this TV. The image looks great when I'm in the "prime" viewing location in my room (14 ft away straight on to the TV). However, if I deviate even a little from the straight on position, the image becomes washed out. So, any of the other viewing seats in the room (e.g. the other end of the couch and the other chair) are locations where I wouldn't want to watch the TV. At 20 degrees off from center to either side, the image is still viewable but it looks like the contrast is off. At 45 degrees off from center to either side, the image is much more washed out and I consider it unwatchable at those positions (however, my wife and daughter don't seem to mind as much).

I've performed a factory reset on the TV and still see the same issues so it isn't the CNET settings.

Are my expectations for the viewing angles for this TV just too high or do I have a bad panel and need to return it? This TV is replacing a 6 year old 50" Panasonic Plasma in the same location so that is what I'm used to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
TiVolunteer is offline  
post #435 of 2000 Old 01-14-2014, 12:58 PM
Member
 
carnage9270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVolunteer View Post

New owner of an UN55F9000 here.

I've adjusted the settings to match the CNET Settings and, for the most part, I'm happy with what I'm seeing. However, I've been extremely surprised by the limited viewing angles on this TV. The image looks great when I'm in the "prime" viewing location in my room (14 ft away straight on to the TV). However, if I deviate even a little from the straight on position, the image becomes washed out. So, any of the other viewing seats in the room (e.g. the other end of the couch and the other chair) are locations where I wouldn't want to watch the TV. At 20 degrees off from center to either side, the image is still viewable but it looks like the contrast is off. At 45 degrees off from center to either side, the image is much more washed out and I consider it unwatchable at those positions (however, my wife and daughter don't seem to mind as much).

I've performed a factory reset on the TV and still see the same issues so it isn't the CNET settings.

Are my expectations for the viewing angles for this TV just too high or do I have a bad panel and need to return it? This TV is replacing a 6 year old 50" Panasonic Plasma in the same location so that is what I'm used to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That is very strange, I have great viewing angles from mine (65" model). I haven't heard anyone having issues with it. I don't think there is a setting that would throw that off either.

carnage9270 is offline  
post #436 of 2000 Old 01-14-2014, 04:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,286
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyjake View Post

Sony did a much better job with their 2014 4K model.
The main line to look at is the Sony 950B FALD. Samsung will not be able to compete, "fully",again if they can not produce a FALD 4K unit. There where some Samsung VS Sharp and Sharp VS Samsung lawsuits that seemed to make Samsung not be able to use FALD technology, otherwise I would suspect they would have used it more often in the past 5 or so years.......
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #437 of 2000 Old 01-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Senior Member
 
AccordTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

The main line to look at is the Sony 950B FALD. Samsung will not be able to compete, "fully",again if they can not produce a FALD 4K unit. There where some Samsung VS Sharp and Sharp VS Samsung lawsuits that seemed to make Samsung not be able to use FALD technology, otherwise I would suspect they would have used it more often in the past 5 or so years.......

Its more to do with costs, esp production. The Sammy s9 is full array but the price is out of consumer range. While the sony 950b is awesome to have fald, I'm sure it's price will be insanely high.

Samsung UHD 4K UN65F9000, Sharp LC46D64U,
Shaw HD PVR Gateway and Portals,
PS4 500gb launch edition,
Samsung BD-P3600, Sony BDP-S470,
Pioneer VSX-1026, Monster Power HDP 2550
Polk Audio 7.1- CS1, Monitor 70s, Monitor 60s, Monitor 40s, PSW505,
Blu-Ray collection- 572 and counting. See them here

AccordTR is offline  
post #438 of 2000 Old 01-14-2014, 05:03 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVolunteer View Post

New owner of an UN55F9000 here.

I've adjusted the settings to match the CNET Settings and, for the most part, I'm happy with what I'm seeing. However, I've been extremely surprised by the limited viewing angles on this TV. The image looks great when I'm in the "prime" viewing location in my room (14 ft away straight on to the TV). However, if I deviate even a little from the straight on position, the image becomes washed out. So, any of the other viewing seats in the room (e.g. the other end of the couch and the other chair) are locations where I wouldn't want to watch the TV. At 20 degrees off from center to either side, the image is still viewable but it looks like the contrast is off. At 45 degrees off from center to either side, the image is much more washed out and I consider it unwatchable at those positions (however, my wife and daughter don't seem to mind as much).

I've performed a factory reset on the TV and still see the same issues so it isn't the CNET settings.

Are my expectations for the viewing angles for this TV just too high or do I have a bad panel and need to return it? This TV is replacing a 6 year old 50" Panasonic Plasma in the same location so that is what I'm used to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Love the F9000, but off angle viewing is not good. Clarity/resolution is good, but set dims and color saturation takes a dive at anything more than 45 degrees. Of course, I just replaced a plasma with it, and plasmas are notoriously better at off angle viewing. However, in my case I really don't care that much since 98% of the viewing is done by my wife and me from straight on chairs/loungers at around 10'. I knew this would be the case before I bought the F9000.
rlb is offline  
post #439 of 2000 Old 01-14-2014, 05:04 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post

Given the price of a quad core processor and memory, add in the hdmi inputs and handling chips, I'd guess about $500ish. It's not going to be super cheap, its basically 50% of the TV in there

I'm betting you are pretty close.

While sort of on the subject of 2160P incoming video, is anyone aware of why the F9000 would be the factor inhibiting my new player (today) OPPO 103D "refusing" to upconvert to 2160P output for the F9000. I like the Darbee processing on the OPPO; but am not really thrilled about the F9000 having to double upconvert (i.e., 103D upconverts/processes DVDs and then sends them to the F9000 for another upconversion). I've setup the OPPO for upconversion to 4K; but the F9000 "info" display says its getting 1080P. It also "refuses" to upconvert Blu Rays. Hopefully, this issue will disappear once I figure out what's going on.
rlb is offline  
post #440 of 2000 Old 01-14-2014, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
JSteel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 434
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

I'm betting you are pretty close.

While sort of on the subject of 2160P incoming video, is anyone aware of why the F9000 would be the factor inhibiting my newly player (today) OPPO 103D "refusing" to upconvert to 2160P output for the F9000. I like the Darbee processing on the OPPO; but am not really thrilled about the F9000 having to double upconvert (i.e., 103D upconverts/processes DVDs and then sends them to the F9000 for another upconversion). I've setup the OPPO for upconversion to 4K; but the F9000 "info" display says its getting 1080P. It also "refuses" to upconvert Blu Rays. Hopefully, this issue will disappear once I figure out what's going on.

It sounds like your 4K resolution setting is not set to auto. I know if I set my Sony Blu-ray to upconvert I have to make sure it is on auto as well as pick 4K as my resolution. I don't know how the Oppo is set up. I would visit their forum and ask just to be sure.
JSteel is offline  
post #441 of 2000 Old 01-14-2014, 11:10 PM
Member
 
NazPattison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyjake View Post

So I tried playing the UHD HDD videos again over the weekend and everything played back normally. Not sure why they were freezing up the TV before, but they are working now. Amazingly unreal clarity. I truly cannot be more happy with this TV.

I'm not a fan of all these curved 2014 tv's at all, even the bendable tv. Really?

Can't wait for 8k!!! lol
Good news. I don't suppose you're up for either letting us pay you to copy it to spare hard drives or torrenting the file. I'm dying for 4K content in Australia.
Skodacars likes this.
NazPattison is offline  
post #442 of 2000 Old 01-15-2014, 09:46 AM
Member
 
jjs2000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Florida
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

I'm betting you are pretty close.

While sort of on the subject of 2160P incoming video, is anyone aware of why the F9000 would be the factor inhibiting my new player (today) OPPO 103D "refusing" to upconvert to 2160P output for the F9000. I like the Darbee processing on the OPPO; but am not really thrilled about the F9000 having to double upconvert (i.e., 103D upconverts/processes DVDs and then sends them to the F9000 for another upconversion). I've setup the OPPO for upconversion to 4K; but the F9000 "info" display says its getting 1080P. It also "refuses" to upconvert Blu Rays. Hopefully, this issue will disappear once I figure out what's going on.

I will have to check on this later since I have the same model OPPO. I have tried both the auto and the 4k settings on the OPPO and noticed no difference in PQ back when I first set it up. Not sure where I left it.
jjs2000 is offline  
post #443 of 2000 Old 01-15-2014, 09:58 AM
Senior Member
 
AccordTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjs2000 View Post

I will have to check on this later since I have the same model OPPO. I have tried both the auto and the 4k settings on the OPPO and noticed no difference in PQ back when I first set it up. Not sure where I left it.

I really dont think you can/will see any difference with the oppo upconverting to 4k. Because 4k tvs use different pixal densities than a 1080p tv, the tv already will upconvert anything that you watch on it. Personally I'd just turn off any player 4k upconvert and let the tv naturally do it.

Samsung UHD 4K UN65F9000, Sharp LC46D64U,
Shaw HD PVR Gateway and Portals,
PS4 500gb launch edition,
Samsung BD-P3600, Sony BDP-S470,
Pioneer VSX-1026, Monster Power HDP 2550
Polk Audio 7.1- CS1, Monitor 70s, Monitor 60s, Monitor 40s, PSW505,
Blu-Ray collection- 572 and counting. See them here

AccordTR is offline  
post #444 of 2000 Old 01-15-2014, 10:55 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,183
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post

I really dont think you can/will see any difference with the oppo upconverting to 4k. Because 4k tvs use different pixal densities than a 1080p tv, the tv already will upconvert anything that you watch on it. Personally I'd just turn off any player 4k upconvert and let the tv naturally do it.

I sort of expected to find what you say above; but I had a pleasant surprise. After some help from the OPPO 103D forum, I established and confirmed via the F9000 that it was receiving 3840x2160. The OPPO 103D uses a new Silicon Image chip for 4K upconversion and also provides the Darbee processor (hence the "D" on the end of the Oppo model number). Both my wife and I felt that the overall picture from a Blu Ray movie and DVE's HD demonstration videos were definitely improved by the OPPO processing.

The Oppo 103D also provides the capability for two HDMI inputs, which are then available for processing (i.e., using it basically for a video processor) and two HDMI outputs (I use one for video to the F9000 and the other for audio to my Integra pre processor). I tested my HR24 DTV input through the OPPO, upconverted to 1080P and output to the F9000. However, both my wife and I felt that although the picture was about equal (probably a little better with direct native output from the HR24 to the F9000) and the OPPO interface made audio/video recovery take longer when changing channels. So, I'll definitely stick with native HR24 to the F9000 and let it do its excellent upconversion.
rlb is offline  
post #445 of 2000 Old 01-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Member
 
VRWRX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 29
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12

I have a question for all of you 9000 owners regarding sound...

 

Is anyone using the TV speakers?  If so, how decent are they?

 

If you have a separate speaker system, how did you handle how low the TV sits on its stand?  I measured it in the store and it's only about 2 inches from the bottom of the screen to whatever the TV is sitting on.  There is no soundbar or center channel in the world (that I could find at least) that will fit in that space without interfering with the picture.  Do most of you have it mounted on the wall?  Or do you have a TV stand with a spot for the center channel/soundbar below the TV?

VRWRX is offline  
post #446 of 2000 Old 01-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Senior Member
 
AccordTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRWRX View Post

I have a question for all of you 9000 owners regarding sound...

Is anyone using the TV speakers?  If so, how decent are they?

If you have a separate speaker system, how did you handle how low the TV sits on its stand?  I measured it in the store and it's only about 2 inches from the bottom of the screen to whatever the TV is sitting on.  There is no soundbar or center channel in the world (that I could find at least) that will fit in that space without interfering with the picture.  Do most of you have it mounted on the wall?  Or do you have a TV stand with a spot for the center channel/soundbar below the TV?

All my blurays and ps4 are through my sound setup in my sig, see below. We watch tv thou through just the tv speakers, ie no receiver and 7.1 setup. The tv speakers are excellent for 'tv speakers.' I've owned about 10 LCD/led TVs and these are hands down the best. It does output 2.1 dts, and there is a decent level of depth and bass even thou the tv is thin. My tv is on it's stand and then on a huge glass shelf designer by bello.

Samsung UHD 4K UN65F9000, Sharp LC46D64U,
Shaw HD PVR Gateway and Portals,
PS4 500gb launch edition,
Samsung BD-P3600, Sony BDP-S470,
Pioneer VSX-1026, Monster Power HDP 2550
Polk Audio 7.1- CS1, Monitor 70s, Monitor 60s, Monitor 40s, PSW505,
Blu-Ray collection- 572 and counting. See them here

AccordTR is offline  
post #447 of 2000 Old 01-16-2014, 08:20 PM
Member
 
carnage9270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19

Looks like my hard drive with the 4k content has shipped and should be here by next Wednesday. I'll .iso it and throw it up somewhere for download when it comes in.

carnage9270 is offline  
post #448 of 2000 Old 01-16-2014, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member
 
upstate-avfan-da's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by VRWRX View Post

I have a question for all of you 9000 owners regarding sound...

Is anyone using the TV speakers?  If so, how decent are they?

If you have a separate speaker system, how did you handle how low the TV sits on its stand?  I measured it in the store and it's only about 2 inches from the bottom of the screen to whatever the TV is sitting on.  There is no soundbar or center channel in the world (that I could find at least) that will fit in that space without interfering with the picture.  Do most of you have it mounted on the wall?  Or do you have a TV stand with a spot for the center channel/soundbar below the TV?

Got mine wall mounted as I never would've had clearance for my Polk CS2 center. But wanted to wall mount anyway due to baby, got it sitting just above my CS2 tilted down a little too get to eye level dead on. Haven't used the tv speakers at all.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
upstate-avfan-da is offline  
post #449 of 2000 Old 01-16-2014, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member
 
TallCoolOne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 507
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post

Given the price of a quad core processor and memory, add in the hdmi inputs and handling chips, I'd guess about $500ish. It's not going to be super cheap, its basically 50% of the TV in there

According to this article:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1389286758

"The Evolution Kit for Full HD models is expected to sell for the same price as last year’s model. The OneConnect is expected to be around 100-150 dollars more expensive."
TallCoolOne is offline  
post #450 of 2000 Old 01-17-2014, 04:35 AM
Senior Member
 
AccordTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

According to this article:

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1389286758

"The Evolution Kit for Full HD models is expected to sell for the same price as last year’s model. The OneConnect is expected to be around 100-150 dollars more expensive."

Well the msrp on the 2013 kit is $299, so that would the new one connect at around $450.

Samsung UHD 4K UN65F9000, Sharp LC46D64U,
Shaw HD PVR Gateway and Portals,
PS4 500gb launch edition,
Samsung BD-P3600, Sony BDP-S470,
Pioneer VSX-1026, Monster Power HDP 2550
Polk Audio 7.1- CS1, Monitor 70s, Monitor 60s, Monitor 40s, PSW505,
Blu-Ray collection- 572 and counting. See them here

AccordTR is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55f9000 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65f9000 65 Inch 4k Ultra Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off