**Official** Samsung 4K UN55F9000, UN65F9000, and UN85S9 Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #631 of 1895 Old 02-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Newbie
 
96ss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks all. It is one connect. I will return it., probably get the 65".
96ss is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #632 of 1895 Old 02-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Senior Member
 
zAndy12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Scunthorpe, Nth Lincs, UK
Posts: 373
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12

Interesting how that article says 'Comcast Corporation today announced a partnership with Samsung Electronics Co, Ltd. to deliver 4K Ultra High-Definition (UHD) content to 2014 Samsung UHD TVs' Hmmm so what about last years models then, are they not going to work? Not an issue for me in the UK but this sort of thing rings alarm bells when I read it and if there's an app that's only going to be available on the 2014 models you can bet your life it won't be the only one
zAndy12 is offline  
post #633 of 1895 Old 02-03-2014, 12:32 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by zAndy12 View Post

Interesting how that article says 'Comcast Corporation today announced a partnership with Samsung Electronics Co, Ltd. to deliver 4K Ultra High-Definition (UHD) content to 2014 Samsung UHD TVs' Hmmm so what about last years models then, are they not going to work? Not an issue for me in the UK but this sort of thing rings alarm bells when I read it and if there's an app that's only going to be available on the 2014 models you can bet your life it won't be the only one

The apps reside on the one connect box. So, no reason it wouldn't be on the upgrade one connect box if it's on the 2014 models. We're proceeding under the assumption that the similar Netflix app (they signed a partnership with Netflix last month) will be on the upgrade. At least, that's what we were promised.
zAndy12 likes this.
rlb is offline  
post #634 of 1895 Old 02-03-2014, 12:38 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96ss View Post

Thanks. As I have done that, and verified that others do not have the problem (at least reported here), I will return the TV and get another one, since Samsung does not want to take responsibility.

I would think that if you told Samsung how HDMI 2 doesn't work for anything and that all others work with all your gear, they would swap out your one connect box. That would sure be a lot less effort for you!

Edit: Oops, forgot you said you wanted the 65".
rlb is offline  
post #635 of 1895 Old 02-03-2014, 06:11 PM
Member
 
rocmo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnage9270 View Post

As far as audio, the best it outputs is DD, there is no processing done there, it's just a pure audio signal. But 4k processing, it most certainly does. It's a 4k resolution display, if it wasn't doing video upscaling you would have black edges to your images. The resolution at the top of the screen is the resolution it's detecting, it then upscales that so you don't see black banding on the edges of the display.

I guess I'm a bit confused. If the One Connect Box is performing the 4K processing, wouldn't any source connected to it be upscaled to 4K? When I had everything running through it, I lost any DD or DTS audio and the only source reflecting 4K was the Samsung BD-F6700 Blu-Ray player (I'm guessing because it does it's own upscaling). DIRECTV and XBOX were all being displayed at 1920x 1080. I verified this by hitting the INFO button when each source was playing. I don't have the black edges whether I connect everything to the One Connect or to the receiver. If you have some specific suggestions on what I may be doing wrong her, I'm all ears.
rocmo99 is offline  
post #636 of 1895 Old 02-03-2014, 06:21 PM
Senior Member
 
AccordTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocmo99 View Post

I guess I'm a bit confused. If the One Connect Box is performing the 4K processing, wouldn't any source connected to it be upscaled to 4K? When I had everything running through it, I lost any DD or DTS audio and the only source reflecting 4K was the Samsung BD-F6700 Blu-Ray player (I'm guessing because it does it's own upscaling). DIRECTV and XBOX were all being displayed at 1920x 1080. I verified this by hitting the INFO button when each source was playing. I don't have the black edges whether I connect everything to the One Connect or to the receiver. If you have some specific suggestions on what I may be doing wrong her, I'm all ears.

You might be feeding the tv 1080p but what people fail to realize is that the PIXEL DENSITY on the screen ITSELF is different. Due to the difference in density, ie smaller pixels, everything will be up converted to fill the spaces.

Samsung UHD 4K UN65F9000, Sharp LC46D64U,
Shaw HD PVR Gateway and Portals,
PS4 500gb launch edition,
Samsung BD-P3600, Sony BDP-S470,
Pioneer VSX-1026, Monster Power HDP 2550
Polk Audio 7.1- CS1, Monitor 70s, Monitor 60s, Monitor 40s, PSW505,
Blu-Ray collection- 572 and counting. See them here

AccordTR is offline  
post #637 of 1895 Old 02-03-2014, 06:59 PM
Member
 
rocmo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post

You might be feeding the tv 1080p but what people fail to realize is that the PIXEL DENSITY on the screen ITSELF is different. Due to the difference in density, ie smaller pixels, everything will be up converted to fill the spaces.

True, I'm just not seeing any difference between running everything through the One Connect or through my receiver.
rocmo99 is offline  
post #638 of 1895 Old 02-03-2014, 08:22 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Think you mean direct to the connection box or through my receiver before the connection box. Either way, it goes through the connection box; and you won't see any difference unless your receiver does processing of the video. Hopefully, you have it on a "through" mode that doesn't do any processing. If it does any processing, and you know what to look for, you should see some difference.
rlb is offline  
post #639 of 1895 Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocmo99 View Post

I guess I'm a bit confused. If the One Connect Box is performing the 4K processing, wouldn't any source connected to it be upscaled to 4K? When I had everything running through it, I lost any DD or DTS audio and the only source reflecting 4K was the Samsung BD-F6700 Blu-Ray player (I'm guessing because it does it's own upscaling). DIRECTV and XBOX were all being displayed at 1920x 1080. I verified this by hitting the INFO button when each source was playing. I don't have the black edges whether I connect everything to the One Connect or to the receiver. If you have some specific suggestions on what I may be doing wrong her, I'm all ears.

The info button provides the resolution of the input, not what is displayed on the display (always 3840x2160).
rlb is offline  
post #640 of 1895 Old 02-04-2014, 12:26 AM
Newbie
 
jwegger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwegger View Post

Ok, thanks for checking, that sounds promising even though I feel like I've tried everything I can think of... Do you know what sw version your TV is at? I've noticed that people here say their's got upgraded to version 2006, but mine is still at 2005 with no updates available yet (maybe regional/language related delay?). This really is a show stopper for me so I really need to figure out where the problem is before my window for returning the TV closes.

I got a big step forwards in figuring out what the deal is with the discoloring artifacts I'm seeing, and I'm now fairly confident that it's a bug in the one connect software.

I took my laptop and my own one connect box back to the store where I bought the TV and asked if I could do some testing with the model they had on display. Connecting my laptop to their TV, the image looked good with none of the artifacts that I see at home. Encouraging. Wanting to check whether the problem was my panel or my one connect box, I put my one connect box in place of theirs (my one connect box, their screen). The TV would now not start at all, only cycling between the "smart tv" logo and a black screen. It turned out that the TV in the store had not been upgraded in a long time and was at version 1006. There's probably some sw running on the TV itself too, and it probably needs to be in sync with the sw on the one connect. The store kindly let me upgrade their set, and once that too was on version 2006 the discoloring artifacts were there regardless of which one connect I used. So bottom line is that the problem wasn't there on version 1006, but is there on version 2006 (i.e. current version).

db14, could you please check what version your set is at? You'll see ut under "customer support->software upgrade".

I'd be very grateful if anyone else could check their image along with their sw version. You need a source with sharp vertical edges (e.g. text on plain background), and the effect isn't very pronounced so you'll have to look carefully.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get hold of the older versions of the software anywhere? I'd be very interested to do a search to find out where the problem got introduced. Also, does anyone know how I would go about to try to get Samsung's attention on this?
jwegger is offline  
post #641 of 1895 Old 02-04-2014, 10:43 AM
Newbie
 
wolfavs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Network issues with cabled network connection

I just got the Euro version of this TV, UE65F9005. Great picture and sound even though it really can´t handle 4K media in an easy way.

My problem is that cabled network connection doesn´t work. Wireless is OK but since I have 1000Mb/s fiber connection to internet I really want the best speed possible also through the TV.

When I connect the network cable I can select cable in the network setup meny. The TV also gets an internet connection (DHCP assign etc). Within a couple of seconds I get the message ”Network cable disconnected.” on top of the screen together with an OK-button. If I don´t do anything the message disappears after a few seconds. The same message then appears every couple of minutes.

My home network is pretty extensive with the following setup: fiber internet -> Apple Airport Extreme router (the latest tower model) -> D-link 8-port Gigabit switch DGS-1008D -> D-link 8-port Gigabit switch DGS-1008D -> Samsung UE65F9005.

The switch is indicating a Gigabit connection to the TV. I tried to change network cable, change switch port and also connected directly to the router (bypassing the two switches in-between) with no success. The TV has had the same problem with all firmware versions 1XXX to 2006.0. I have used the more-or-less identical network setup with a least 4 previous Samsungs without ANY problems. The last TV I used with exactly the identical setup was a PS64D8005, worked perfectly.

I would appreciate any ideas about this problem.

Apart from this the TV is great and I really would like to avoid changing the whole TV and risk getting a panel other problems. It´s also a hassle to pack and return etc etc. I ordered in-house Samsung service but these guys are basically clueless. The technicians says the have to change the ”motherboard” inside the screen together with the connection box. I don´t believe this, because that would mean that the announced Evolution Kit connection box couldn´t be user installed. ”jwegger” s tests earlier in the thread also confirms that the connection box is NOT hard-paired to a specific screen…

Samsung tech are waiting for parts so they haven´t been here yet. I would of course just prefer to change the connection box myself. The problem is that I have heard about two other people with the same strange problem and in those cases they couldn´t solve it even after an exchange of the whole TV-set.
wolfavs is offline  
post #642 of 1895 Old 02-04-2014, 12:06 PM
Member
 
carnage9270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19

I can't figure out for the life of me why my 10p white setting is greyed out now :(

carnage9270 is offline  
post #643 of 1895 Old 02-04-2014, 01:44 PM
Member
 
rocmo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

The info button provides the resolution of the input, not what is displayed on the display (always 3840x2160).

My receiver is on through mode. Are you suggesting that all components be connected via the One Connect Box and using an optical cable for the audio? I saw an earlier post from someone saying that would defeat the purpose of the receiver. Is your belief that the One Connect will provide a better picture.
rocmo99 is offline  
post #644 of 1895 Old 02-04-2014, 02:16 PM
Member
 
carnage9270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocmo99 View Post


My receiver is on through mode. Are you suggesting that all components be connected via the One Connect Box and using an optical cable for the audio? I saw an earlier post from someone saying that would defeat the purpose of the receiver. Is your belief that the One Connect will provide a better picture.

What he's saying is when you set your receiver to "Through" mode, the receiver won't do any up converting. So the device you are playing from passes "through" the receiver and gets to the TV in it's native format. Then the TV up converts it to 4k resolution. What the TV displays in the "info" is the resolution that is being passed to the TV, not what is being actively displayed. In other words, using a standard bluray player routed through a reciever in "through" mode will pass 1920x1080p resolution, the TV displays 1920x1080 on the info screen because that is what it's reading as it's input. It then up converts that to display full screen on the TV (3840x2160). So reading the resolution from the info button is misleading, it's only giving you what the input resolution is, not the output 4k resolution.

rocmo99 likes this.
carnage9270 is offline  
post #645 of 1895 Old 02-04-2014, 02:17 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocmo99 View Post

My receiver is on through mode. Are you suggesting that all components be connected via the One Connect Box and using an optical cable for the audio? I saw an earlier post from some saying that would defeat the purpose of the receiver. Is your belief that the One Connect will provide a better picture.

This is sort of blunt, but I'm not worried about defeating the purpose of the receiver. My objective isn't about maximizing the effectiveness of the receiver, it's about getting the best video and audio possible with my current components.

However, I run my HR 24 and PS3 through the receiver (or in my case a pre processor) on the way to the one connect box. I can do this because it has a through mode for 1080P and below which doesn't do any video processing. If it did any video processing, it would affect the final picture and I would send their signals direct to the one connect box. That really wouldn't hurt anything because the HR 24 doesn't output lossless audio; and despite its capability, I don't use the PS3 for Blu Ray (therefore no lossless audio). In other words, the DD 5.1 from the one connect box output of optical digital should be okay.

Since my pre processor won't pass through UHD or 3D, I looked for and bought a Blu Ray player with dual HDMI outputs (OPPO 103D). This allows me to send video direct to the F9000 and use the second HDMI output for audio, including lossless, to my pre processor.

Bottom line: We really can't say whether it's best or not to route all HDMI inputs via the receiver or direct to the one connect without looking at the capabilities and uses of the specific components.
rocmo99 likes this.
rlb is offline  
post #646 of 1895 Old 02-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Member
 
rocmo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

This is sort of blunt, but I'm not worried about defeating the purpose of the receiver. My objective isn't about maximizing the effectiveness of the receiver, it's about getting the best video and audio possible with my current components.

However, I run my HR 24 and PS3 through the receiver (or in my case a pre processor) on the way to the one connect box. I can do this because it has a through mode for 1080P and below which doesn't do any video processing. If it did any video processing, it would affect the final picture and I would send their signals direct to the one connect box. That really wouldn't hurt anything because the HR 24 doesn't output lossless audio; and despite its capability, I don't use the PS3 for Blu Ray (therefore no lossless audio). In other words, the DD 5.1 from the one connect box output of optical digital should be okay.

Since my pre processor won't pass through UHD or 3D, I looked for and bought a Blu Ray player with dual HDMI outputs (OPPO 103D). This allows me to send video direct to the F9000 and use the second HDMI output for audio, including lossless, to my pre processor.

Bottom line: We really can't say whether it's best or not to route all HDMI inputs via the receiver or direct to the one connect without looking at the capabilities and uses of the specific components.

Thanks for all of your help and taking the time to explain it all. I think I'm on the right track now.
rocmo99 is offline  
post #647 of 1895 Old 02-04-2014, 03:00 PM
Member
 
rocmo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnage9270 View Post

What he's saying is when you set your receiver to "Through" mode, the receiver won't do any up converting. So the device you are playing from passes "through" the receiver and gets to the TV in it's native format. Then the TV up converts it to 4k resolution. What the TV displays in the "info" is the resolution that is being passed to the TV, not what is being actively displayed. In other words, using a standard bluray player routed through a reciever in "through" mode will pass 1920x1080p resolution, the TV displays 1920x1080 on the info screen because that is what it's reading as it's input. It then up converts that to display full screen on the TV (3840x2160). So reading the resolution from the info button is misleading, it's only giving you what the input resolution is, not the output 4k resolution.

Got it. I was confusing the input for what was actually being displayed. Thanks.
rocmo99 is offline  
post #648 of 1895 Old 02-04-2014, 03:17 PM
Newbie
 
agtom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I stumbled on the fact that there was a firmware upgrade available on the Samsung site.  I say stumble as whenever I checked for updates on the TV I was told there aren't any.  The TV was running 2002.0 and the Samsung site was offering 2006.0.  Does anyone know what the new firmware offers over the old?

 

Cheers

agtom is offline  
post #649 of 1895 Old 02-04-2014, 04:29 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by agtom View Post

I stumbled on the fact that there was a firmware upgrade available on the Samsung site.  I say stumble as whenever I checked for updates on the TV I was told there aren't any.  The TV was running 2002.0 and the Samsung site was offering 2006.0.  Does anyone know what the new firmware offers over the old?

Cheers

I received the upgrade a week or so ago. Only thing I noticed was an update of the Netflix app to be functionally identical to the one on my PS3. However, that version of the app had problems connecting with Netflix, and Samsung had me change my DNS from my router to a "generic" google DNS. However, by the next day that version had disappeared and we were back to the original Netflix version (presume Netflix could accomplish this without another Samsung firmware update). Finally, and this is a major issue, if you accidently touch the long narrow toggle on the lerft side of the blue tooth remote, you previously got a little "blurb" on the screen saying that the internal speakers were off and you were using external speakers. Now I get a little "picture" of a speaker, with a red slash line through it, which moves up and down on the left of the screen. You must touch the toggle again, for it to disappear. I presume that wasn't the reason for Samsung issuing the revision.
rlb is offline  
post #650 of 1895 Old 02-04-2014, 05:30 PM
Member
 
rocmo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Has anyone noticed a Meter/Gauge of some sort in the lower right hand corner of the F9000? I noticed it when I have all components connected to the One Connect Box and shows a colored meter fluctuating between Samsung LED on the left side and Regular TV on the right. I checked the manual and online but I can't find any reference to it. Just curious as to what it means.
rocmo99 is offline  
post #651 of 1895 Old 02-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Senior Member
 
AccordTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocmo99 View Post

Has anyone noticed a Meter/Gauge of some sort in the lower right hand corner of the F9000? I noticed it when I have all components connected to the One Connect Box and shows a colored meter fluctuating between Samsung LED on the left side and Regular TV on the right. I checked the manual and online but I can't find any reference to it. Just curious as to what it means.

You mean the hand and voice gesture icons??

Samsung UHD 4K UN65F9000, Sharp LC46D64U,
Shaw HD PVR Gateway and Portals,
PS4 500gb launch edition,
Samsung BD-P3600, Sony BDP-S470,
Pioneer VSX-1026, Monster Power HDP 2550
Polk Audio 7.1- CS1, Monitor 70s, Monitor 60s, Monitor 40s, PSW505,
Blu-Ray collection- 572 and counting. See them here

AccordTR is offline  
post #652 of 1895 Old 02-04-2014, 08:36 PM
Member
 
rocmo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post

You mean the hand and voice gesture icons??

No, this is something totally different. The hand and voice gestures show up on the left, but this shows on the right side.
rocmo99 is offline  
post #653 of 1895 Old 02-04-2014, 11:01 PM
Newbie
 
jwegger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by agtom View Post

I stumbled on the fact that there was a firmware upgrade available on the Samsung site.  I say stumble as whenever I checked for updates on the TV I was told there aren't any.  The TV was running 2002.0 and the Samsung site was offering 2006.0.  Does anyone know what the new firmware offers over the old?

Cheers

I'd be really grateful if you could check your image with a PC connected before and after your upgrade from 2002.0. See my post above. I believe a software version somewhere between 1006.0 and 2005.0 has introduced a bug that actually reduces the image quality, but nobody has confirmed nor contradicted it yet. One thing I didn't mention in the post above is that you'll see it more clearly if you turn the sharpness down. It's clearly visible with the 'CNET settings'.

Other than that I don't know what might be new in 2006.0, but there have been at least one version in between 2002.0 and 2006.0. Mine was 'stuck' at 2005.0 the same way you say yours where at 2002.0, but it worked upgrading it manually by following instructions on Samsung's site.
jwegger is offline  
post #654 of 1895 Old 02-05-2014, 06:03 AM
Newbie
 
HUFN8OR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
The "Meter/Gauge" thing you're referring to, only comes up when you hit the "Info" button. From what I can gather it is simply an "Eco" gauge to tell you how little electricity the TV is drawing in comparison to a "Conventional TV." Seems like some Eco-friendly stuff they felt like including (for no valid reason IMO).

I may be wrong, but that's what I could figure out.
HUFN8OR is offline  
post #655 of 1895 Old 02-05-2014, 11:28 AM
Member
 
rocmo99's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Aurora, Colorado
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUFN8OR View Post

The "Meter/Gauge" thing you're referring to, only comes up when you hit the "Info" button. From what I can gather it is simply an "Eco" gauge to tell you how little electricity the TV is drawing in comparison to a "Conventional TV." Seems like some Eco-friendly stuff they felt like including (for no valid reason IMO).

I may be wrong, but that's what I could figure out.

I think you nailed it! That describes it exactly! Thanks.
rocmo99 is offline  
post #656 of 1895 Old 02-05-2014, 11:39 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

I received the upgrade a week or so ago. Only thing I noticed was an update of the Netflix app to be functionally identical to the one on my PS3. However, that version of the app had problems connecting with Netflix, and Samsung had me change my DNS from my router to a "generic" google DNS. However, by the next day that version had disappeared and we were back to the original Netflix version (presume Netflix could accomplish this without another Samsung firmware update). Finally, and this is a major issue, if you accidently touch the long narrow toggle on the lerft side of the blue tooth remote, you previously got a little "blurb" on the screen saying that the internal speakers were off and you were using external speakers. Now I get a little "picture" of a speaker, with a red slash line through it, which moves up and down on the left of the screen. You must touch the toggle again, for it to disappear. I presume that wasn't the reason for Samsung issuing the revision.

Update on my prior post. As of this morning, the most recent Netflix app (was on the PS3 for around 3 months) is back for the F9000 firmware ver. 2006. However, now it works with my router's native DNS (which is "auto" for the setup). It apparently was an interface issue that Netflix fixed on their end.
rlb is offline  
post #657 of 1895 Old 02-06-2014, 12:43 PM
Newbie
 
tsperez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 10
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I'm new to all of this so be gentle... I'm finally moving up from 2.0 stereo to 5.1 or beyond for TV movies.  I just do music, TV, and movies - no gaming.  Upgrading my old sound system by purchasing an Onkyo TX-NR828 7.2 receiver.  I'm also replacing my old Sony flat, square CRT TV (300 lbs!) with the new Samsung 55" 4K model.  The TV will be installed by Best Buy this Saturday but before installation I have a question.

 

I got the the 828 because it can process 4K and it has pass through also.  Now I notice that the F9000 has the separate box for connections.  The sales guys simply say to connect all my HDMI connections to the One Connect but they don't even ask what else I have i.e., the 828.  My current HDMI devices are cable box, Apple TV and a PS3 for Blue Ray movies.

 

Q: Is it best to connect everything to the receiver for control purposes or is it best to connect to the Samsung box?  I'm thinking that I have more control with the Onkyo especially sound than with the TV.  But being newer the up scaling of the TV might be better.  I'm guessing that up scaling should be done by Samsung box instead of the Onkyo.

 

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

tsp

tsperez is offline  
post #658 of 1895 Old 02-06-2014, 01:30 PM
Member
 
carnage9270's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 33
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsperez View Post
 

I'm new to all of this so be gentle... I'm finally moving up from 2.0 stereo to 5.1 or beyond for TV movies.  I just do music, TV, and movies - no gaming.  Upgrading my old sound system by purchasing an Onkyo TX-NR828 7.2 receiver.  I'm also replacing my old Sony flat, square CRT TV (300 lbs!) with the new Samsung 55" 4K model.  The TV will be installed by Best Buy this Saturday but before installation I have a question.

 

I got the the 828 because it can process 4K and it has pass through also.  Now I notice that the F9000 has the separate box for connections.  The sales guys simply say to connect all my HDMI connections to the One Connect but they don't even ask what else I have i.e., the 828.  My current HDMI devices are cable box, Apple TV and a PS3 for Blue Ray movies.

 

Q: Is it best to connect everything to the receiver for control purposes or is it best to connect to the Samsung box?  I'm thinking that I have more control with the Onkyo especially sound than with the TV.  But being newer the up scaling of the TV might be better.  I'm guessing that up scaling should be done by Samsung box instead of the Onkyo.

 

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

tsp

The one connect box will only output Dolby Digital 5.1 to your receiver, so the best way to hook everything up is to run everything through your receiver and HDMI out it to the one connect box. That will give you the best sound as most movies output DTS audio from bluray. Set the Onkyo to "Through" mode and the TV will take over and do all the up converting. If both the receiver and the TV are both up converting you'll notice some serious blurring to your images. If you watch some live sports, you'll notice it immediately. So let the TV do the up converting, it does a fantastic job all by itself.

tsperez likes this.
carnage9270 is offline  
post #659 of 1895 Old 02-06-2014, 01:44 PM
Newbie
 
RRBaer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

I feel your pain - these things can drive you absolutely nuts!

 

A few thoughts:

 

1.  not a fan of cascaded switches.  works fine when most traffic is outbound to the internet, but I've had problems with pc-to-pc connections when they are on different switches.
 

2.  but you've eliminated cascaded switches causing the problem by trying a direct connect, which also had a problem.

 

3.  did you look at the indicator lights and/or port status to see if it thought it had a gig connection going?

 

4.  are you using high quality cabling or old cat 3?  some old cat 3 has a problem with gig connections.  been there!

 

5.  what are your cable lengths?  did you use an extra-long cat 3 cable to go from set to router?  would maybe that have worked if you used a higher quality cable?

 

6.  not familiar with the specific switch - can you turn auto-sense off and force it to 100 for testing?

 

7.  happen to have a gig switch available that's another brand?  try plugging it in to just the tv and a laptop and go from there?

 

Yes I know I stated a lot of the obvious - no insult intended.  It's easy to overlook this stuff in the heat of the moment though.

 

Hope you stumble across a working solution!

RRBaer is offline  
post #660 of 1895 Old 02-06-2014, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member
 
upstate-avfan-da's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 625
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Ok this is driving me crazy.... since v2006 update there have been 2 times when my image becomes washed out like backlight or dimming processes are not working.

Anyone else?

After a power down it goes back to normal.

Bit by the upgrade bug, limited by the WAF
upstate-avfan-da is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55f9000 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65f9000 65 Inch 4k Ultra Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off