**Official** Samsung 4K UN55F9000, UN65F9000, and UN85S9 Thread - Page 28 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 1894 Old 03-03-2014, 06:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Im in the market for a new TV, and Im pretty much sold on the Samsung 65F9000 but just wondered if anyone could answer the following:

1. Roughly how long is the cable that connects the one-connect box to the tele?

2. Does anyone know if there is a date confirmed for the update to the one-connect box? (ie, HDMI 2.0). I've asked around my local retailers, and they don't seem to know. I don't really feel like paying premium dollars for new technology only to have an updated version come out a few weeks later.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1894 Old 03-03-2014, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettyp View Post

Im in the market for a new TV, and Im pretty much sold on the Samsung 65F9000 but just wondered if anyone could answer the following:

1. Roughly how long is the cable that connects the one-connect box to the tele?
2. Does anyone know if there is a date confirmed for the update to the one-connect box? (ie, HDMI 2.0). I've asked around my local retailers, and they don't seem to know. I don't really feel like paying premium dollars for new technology only to have an updated version come out a few weeks later.

The cable is long, I believe 2 meters. It's long enough for almost any setup I could think you'd need. No date yet on one connect 2.

Samsung UHD 4K UN65F9000, Sharp LC46D64U,
Shaw HD PVR Gateway and Portals,
PS4 500gb launch edition,
Samsung BD-P3600, Sony BDP-S470,
Pioneer VSX-1026, Monster Power HDP 2550
Polk Audio 7.1- CS1, Monitor 70s, Monitor 60s, Monitor 40s, PSW505,
Blu-Ray collection- 572 and counting. See them here

post #813 of 1894 Old 03-03-2014, 07:39 PM

Great - thanks AccordTR

Have you heard anything about faulty batches of this TV? I've read a lot (literally hundreds) of reviews on this tele, and have seen some very contrasting opinions. Majority of reviews rate it as perfect, or at least score it very highly, and comment on how smooth and vivid everything is. I've also seen a fair few reviews which rate the TV very poorly and comment on how jagged the picture looks and that the quality is terrible. I understand there will always be people who just wont like it, but given ive seen so many people criticising the TV for the same things that other people seem to be praising it for, it sounds like there may be a number of faulty units in circulation?

post #814 of 1894 Old 03-03-2014, 08:38 PM

Once I power up my 65f9000. And hooked it to the wireless. I had a firmware undate. What I did. And the app had to load what took a few minutes. I had the same thing with my 55f8000 for the first year there was a few firmware updates. But that seem to have stop at some point after the first year.

One thing I disliked is that new app on the 9000 wasn't added to the 8000 tv. I don't know if all the tv makers do that?
post #815 of 1894 Old 03-03-2014, 11:48 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brettyp View Post

Great - thanks AccordTR

Have you heard anything about faulty batches of this TV? I've read a lot (literally hundreds) of reviews on this tele, and have seen some very contrasting opinions. Majority of reviews rate it as perfect, or at least score it very highly, and comment on how smooth and vivid everything is. I've also seen a fair few reviews which rate the TV very poorly and comment on how jagged the picture looks and that the quality is terrible. I understand there will always be people who just wont like it, but given ive seen so many people criticising the TV for the same things that other people seem to be praising it for, it sounds like there may be a number of faulty units in circulation?

Can you state me what was faulty? I think if have problems with the unifomermity of the panel. It looks like the corners are over tight. You see if the panel is very bright. Anyone else has the same idea?

post #816 of 1894 Old 03-04-2014, 10:43 AM

I got the Samsung UHD Hard Drive yesterday in the mail. I Will say that both the movies and the 4 other sample clips look phenomenal! So Detailed! 

post #817 of 1894 Old 03-05-2014, 10:16 AM

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantpunch View Post

I got the Samsung UHD Hard Drive yesterday in the mail. I Will say that both the movies and the 4 other sample clips look phenomenal! So Detailed! 

What are the movies?
post #818 of 1894 Old 03-05-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gillietalls View Post

What are the movies?

1 is on a lost coral reef, 1 is on the Grand Canyon

post #819 of 1894 Old 03-05-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
It's a shame samsung don't make these videos available for download for customers outside the US
post #820 of 1894 Old 03-05-2014, 12:44 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post

1 is on a lost coral reef, 1 is on the Grand Canyon

Bottom line: They are basically "travel logs", not movies.
post #821 of 1894 Old 03-05-2014, 05:52 PM

Is. It worth sending away for the hard drive?????
post #822 of 1894 Old 03-05-2014, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry2013 View Post

Lol of course! Why would you not??? The content is good and it's true 4k.

post #823 of 1894 Old 03-05-2014, 08:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantpunch View Post

He He, sure hope so that is what 4K is all about......
post #824 of 1894 Old 03-06-2014, 11:07 AM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry2013 View Post

Ya, right now it's pretty much the only 4k content you can view on your TV. If you decide you don't like it then you still have the hard drive to do with what ever you want and the nice thing is that it doesn't have a power cord, it's powered off the device you connect it to. Mine showed up last night but didn't have time to check out the content (will do it tonight), I was actually kind of surprised of the nice display box it came in. I figured it would just be wrapped in bubble wrap and thrown in a box.
post #825 of 1894 Old 03-06-2014, 04:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
20140306_151328.jpg 1544k .jpg file

Well my TV took a big dump some what. Had a problem yesterday with the TV not wanting to come on. After plugging and unplugging it 3 times, I finally got it to come on enough to reset the TV in the support menu. Played good all night until I got a call at work from the lady saying the TV would not shut off and the HDMI word were stuck on the screen. When I arrived home a few minutes ago, they were still on the screen. Hopefully there is no burn-in. So I called Samsung and they have a technician coming out to change the mainboard on Tuesday. We shall see how this goes. Will keep everyone updated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140306_151328.jpg (1.51 MB, 40 views)
post #826 of 1894 Old 03-06-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

There is one possible way to get audio from your smart tv apps to your Marantz, and one sure way to do it.

If your Marantz is ARC capable (your Marantz owners manual should tell you if it is) and if your HDMI cable is plugged into your HDMI 3 port (it's the only ARC capable port on the F9000) then you should be able to get audio when playing a movie on Amazon Prime, Netflix, etc.

However, the one sure way to do it is to use an optical digital cable from your F9000 one connect box (connect it to the labeled port that is next to the cable that connects the box and the display) to an optical digital input on the Marantz. The cable is also referred to as "toslink" and you can see what one looks like if you "google" "wiki optical digital cable" or "wiki toslink". If you don't already have one, you can purchase one at Radio Shack, Walmart, Best Buy, etc. Then when you have the cable connected, select that input on your Marantz and you should have audio while playing one of the smart hub applications.

Your Marantz owner's manual probably does a much better job than the F9000 user's manual or e-manual for showing how to connect components.

okay my Marantz does have an ARC connection. And my husband has it hooked up to the ARC connection. he has tried the HDMI 1 and the HDMI 3 and I still cannot get any sound when I put it on Amazon video movie. All I hear is the sound to the television channel. I must be doing something wrong. There has to be some setting that needs to be changed for the sound to be coming from the Amazon movie. I am sorry to be so much trouble. What could be the problem? I am at a loss. My husband even bought one of those optical cables and could not get it to work that way either using the HDMI 3. Thanks in advance for your help I am desperate!
post #827 of 1894 Old 03-06-2014, 11:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Don't you need the HDMI CEC or whatever its called setting to be on in order for ARC to work, I seem to remember having to switch that on before on another TV , sorry I don't have the F9000 but it was a Samsung TV so I'd imagine its similar. Failing that optical should definitely work but you need to probably go into the sound settings or options and ensure bitstream is selected for DD and DTS while playing the movie on Netflix or Amazon cos its content sensitive. Also ensure the amp is set to use the optical input for sound for whatever input youre using.
post #828 of 1894 Old 03-07-2014, 05:37 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Does anyone have a problem with voice control activating on its own?
post #829 of 1894 Old 03-07-2014, 05:46 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

For Okiebirdnerd, I don't use ARC, so I'll stick with the optical digital issue. I'm sure zAndy12 "nailed" the issue. Go to menu/sound/digital audio out/audio format and select "dolby digital" for Netflix movies. You are probably on "pcm". If dolby digital is grayed out you are trying to make the change while on a pcm source; so make the change while on a Netflix movie. Plus, be sure the Marantz has selected the correct optical digital input.
post #830 of 1894 Old 03-07-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zAndy12 View Post

Don't you need the HDMI CEC or whatever its called setting to be on in order for ARC to work, I seem to remember having to switch that on before on another TV , sorry I don't have the F9000 but it was a Samsung TV so I'd imagine its similar. Failing that optical should definitely work but you need to probably go into the sound settings or options and ensure bitstream is selected for DD and DTS while playing the movie on Netflix or Amazon cos its content sensitive. Also ensure the amp is set to use the optical input for sound for whatever input youre using.

Okay when you guys are talking about settings...I'm never sure if you are telling me to go to my Marantz settings or my smart TV settings. I feel like the connections are correct...at least my husband says they are anyway. All our electronics are on a big swivel thing that pulls out then swivels and I'm not about to mess with it. He has everything bundled up nice and neat and it barely pulls out and swivels. A speaker wire pulled out and the sound was screwed up and we thought it was a setting he changed..I finally told him to try the tone test or whatever its called to see if the speakers were all working and he realized a speaker was not hooked up. I just looked at the One connect and TV and the way it stands right now we have a thick cable from the TV to the one connect ( its the cable that came with the tv ) and we have on the One Connect, we have a black and blue usb cable that says cheetah and plugs into the back of the Marantz to a usb that says it's an ARC. ( my husband said it said ARC) We have no sound trying to stream a video using Amazon or Netflix from the smart TV.

So when you are talking about the CEC setting, are you saying this setting is on the smart TV? You need to understand that my husband will get mad if I try to Tell him what to do smile.gif I need to have whatever needs to be done written down as directions coming from you. He wouldn't have a clue where to even research to find out what to do to fix this.
So just this very minute I went to the Samsung website to download the manual to my PC. I only had it on my tablet. And this pop up came up talking about a firmware upgrade to correct the issue of video with no sound using USB. ( what a coincidence ? ) ....I'm almost afraid to download this. It says to download to a thumb drive...That seams weird since the Smart TV has done all the updates via wireless....now What Do I Do? Do I trust this pop up? It sounds like an answer to my prayers. See screen capture of pop up. rolleyes.gif Thanks so much to everyone that has tried to help me. I Really appreciate your time. Terri . samsungsoundpopup.jpg 186k .jpg file

UPDATE: So I went ahead and clicked on the pop up and found 'How to update the firmware by Online..I followed all the steps and it said I was already up to date. I tried three times. I wish it had said what software version I needed to be. My version is T-FXP9AKUC-2007.3, BT-S/G.
Darnit, I was hopeful this was the fix I needed and we had done everything right the first time.. I'm still going to check my Marantz settings and see if there is an issue there. I'm beginning to feel like the name Smart TV only means it will make me smarter since I'm spending so much time reading:p

Is this what you are talking about? Here's what I read about the HDMI CEC: HDMI-CEC is a feature that is built into most consumer electronics today with HDMI. It is a built in system for allowing your Audio and Video components to Communicate with each other. But, in order for it to work, your devices must support HDMI-CEC. Not all HDMI components support HDMI-CEC. Although, HDMI-CEC goes by many names depending on the manufacturer. Here are some other names that are the same as HDMI-CEC: Anynet or Anynet+ (Samsung)
So do I have an Anynet setting I need to adjust on my smart TV? My husband said it is hooked up to the ARC on the Marantz. But we are only using the HDMI 1 on the One Connect box for Cox/TV. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg samsungsoundpopup.jpg (186.0 KB, 12 views)
post #831 of 1894 Old 03-07-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarky175 View Post

Does anyone have a problem with voice control activating on its own?
--
Yes I did many times so I turned mine off. I never knew what caused it..
Terri
post #832 of 1894 Old 03-07-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:

For Okiebirdnerd, I don't use ARC, so I'll stick with the optical digital issue. I'm sure zAndy12 "nailed" the issue. Go to menu/sound/digital audio out/audio format and select "dolby digital" for Netflix movies. You are probably on "pcm". If dolby digital is grayed out you are trying to make the change while on a pcm source; so make the change while on a Netflix movie. Plus, be sure the Marantz has selected the correct optical digital input.

Thank you RLB, I'll see if I can find this info on my Marantz receiver. I did get a pop up while I was on the Samsung website about an update to correct the issue of no sound when playing video but I'm not sure if I should trust it since it said to put on a thumb drive. Why wouldn't the update come to my smart TV? This pop up is on my home PC. I attached a screen capture on another post. I'd appreciate your input on what I should do. Thanks again for helping me.

UPDATE: I followed the pop up and did an update online with the TV and it said I was up to date...I sure wish I knew if the issue was with my TV or receiver...or me frown.gif
post #833 of 1894 Old 03-07-2014, 11:19 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okiebirdnerd View Post

Thank you RLB, I'll see if I can find this info on my Marantz receiver. I did get a pop up while I was on the Samsung website about an update to correct the issue of no sound when playing video but I'm not sure if I should trust it since it said to put on a thumb drive. Why wouldn't the update come to my smart TV? This pop up is on my home PC. I attached a screen capture on another post. I'd appreciate your input on what I should do. Thanks again for helping me.

UPDATE: I followed the pop up and did an update online with the TV and it said I was up to date...I sure wish I knew if the issue was with my TV or receiver...or me frown.gif

Several issues here:
1) I would ignore the pop up at this point because you aren't having issues with sound, except with the Netflix/Smart Hub apps. That can be cured with the optical digital. I'm afraid you will just invite additional problems if you try to update with a thumb drive. You have the firmware ver. 2007 already installed which I and probably most of the others are using.
2) Almost all the directions regarding settings you have been getting from us are specific to the F9000. The audio setup "Go to menu/sound/digital audio out/audio format and select "dolby digital" for Netflix movies. You are probably on "pcm". If dolby digital is grayed out you are trying to make the change while on a pcm source; so make the change while on a Netflix movie." is definitely for the F9000.
3. Only thing for the Marantz is to ensure it selects the optical digital input (i.e., 1,2, etc) that you have connected to the F9000. This should definitely give you sound. Only other thing is that the Marantz may give you a selection for the type of sound to output (dolby digital, THX Cinema, stereo, etc.). Recommend you keep it simple at this point and use dolby digital.
post #834 of 1894 Old 03-07-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Several issues here:
1) I would ignore the pop up at this point because you aren't having issues with sound, except with the Netflix/Smart Hub apps. That can be cured with the optical digital. I'm afraid you will just invite additional problems if you try to update with a thumb drive. You have the firmware ver. 2007 already installed which I and probably most of the others are using.
2) Almost all the directions regarding settings you have been getting from us are specific to the F9000. The audio setup "Go to menu/sound/digital audio out/audio format and select "dolby digital" for Netflix movies. You are probably on "pcm". If dolby digital is grayed out you are trying to make the change while on a pcm source; so make the change while on a Netflix movie." is definitely for the F9000.
3. Only thing for the Marantz is to ensure it selects the optical digital input (i.e., 1,2, etc) that you have connected to the F9000. This should definitely give you sound. Only other thing is that the Marantz may give you a selection for the type of sound to output (dolby digital, THX Cinema, stereo, etc.). Recommend you keep it simple at this point and use dolby digital.

Thank you RLB!!! I will try this now. I appreciate you explaining that these settings are on the 9000 and not the receiver. Okay when you say 'Optical digital' do you mean the cable he bought yesterday at Best Buy? Since that didn't work he removed it. So for the above settings to work I will need to reconnect that cable? And that cable needs to be plugged into the HDMI 3 ARC, right? The HDMI 3 ARC is being used...so we need to change that correct? I will see if your suggestions work right now but at the moment we only have the one cheetah cable going from the One Connect to the Marantz HDMI 3 ARC. ( I think I'm saying that right ) Anyway, thanks for your patients!
post #835 of 1894 Old 03-07-2014, 11:52 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you RLB!!! I will try this now. I appreciate you explaining that these settings are on the 9000 and not the receiver. Okay when you say 'Optical digital' do you mean the cable he bought yesterday at Best Buy? Since that didn't work he removed it. So for the above settings to work I will need to reconnect that cable? And that cable needs to be plugged into the HDMI 3 ARC, right? The HDMI 3 ARC is being used...so we need to change that correct? I will see if your suggestions work right now but at the moment we only have the one cheetah cable going from the One Connect to the Marantz HDMI 3 ARC. ( I think I'm saying that right ) Anyway, thanks for your patients!

No, the optical digital is a different type of connection and won't connect into a HDMI input. It goes from the optical digital out on the F9000 to a Optical Digital In on the Marantz. The respective manuals will show diagrams of where they are located. The Samsung has only 1 optical digital out. The Marantz probably has 2 or 3 optical digital ins (that's why you must select with the Marantz remote the specific optical digital input you are using). Suggest you take a look at the manuals and visualize the recommended connections before changing any changes. It would definitely be worth your time to study the manuals for hooking up, setting up, and selecting the optical digital cable connection.

Once again, after connecting the optical digital cable, tune to a Netflix movie and make the audio setup adjustments I've referred to previously.
post #836 of 1894 Old 03-07-2014, 12:40 PM

Quote:

No, the optical digital is a different type of connection and won't connect into a HDMI input. It goes from the optical digital out on the F9000 to a Optical Digital In on the Marantz. The respective manuals will show diagrams of where they are located. The Samsung has only 1 optical digital out. The Marantz probably has 2 or 3 optical digital ins (that's why you must select with the Marantz remote the specific optical digital input you are using). Suggest you take a look at the manuals and visualize the recommended connections before changing any changes. It would definitely be worth your time to study the manuals for hooking up, setting up, and selecting the optical digital cable connection.

Once again, after connecting the optical digital cable, tune to a Netflix movie and make the audio setup adjustments I've referred to previously.

RLB, Okay I had an Amazon video on and dolby digital is selected already. I took a photo of the Marantz settings. I have not made changes on the Samsung or Marantz. Let me know if you see something wrong in the settings thus far . I'm sorry I called the optical digital a USB, I never looked at what he bought since it didn't work. When he comes home tonight I'll have him hook it up again but I'm not sure if it will work if he does it the same way he did it yesterday. So when using the optical digital will any settings need to be changed? OMG this is stressful. Thanks for your patients. marantzinputinfo.jpg 94k .jpg file I can sure see why some people might be complaining about this TV if it is this complicated to work. mad.gif
Attached Images
File Type: jpg marantzinputinfo.jpg (93.5 KB, 18 views)
post #837 of 1894 Old 03-07-2014, 01:06 PM

I had to turn it off. I thing that certain words on a tv program or movies will turn on the voice comand on. Then you have to deal with closed it down. After like doing this three or four times in like five hours. Time to go into menu and tuen off
post #838 of 1894 Old 03-07-2014, 01:27 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

For Okiebirdnerd, your issue is with the Marantz and I'm not familiar with it specifically. Your "key" is the Marantz owners manual. You will need to input (plug in) the optical digital cable into a specific numbered optical digital input. Then it appears you must "pick a component name" (i.e., DVR, satellite, etc) and assign the optical digital input to that component. Then to get that audio input you will need to select the component name you associated with the optical digital input. I can't really provide any more specifics. The Marantz owners manual tells how to do everything required for Marantz issues/actions. The Samsung part of the action is easy, it's knowing how to use your Marantz that is the challenge. Anyone with a Marantz, maybe you can help.?
post #839 of 1894 Old 03-07-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:

For Okiebirdnerd, your issue is with the Marantz and I'm not familiar with it specifically. Your "key" is the Marantz owners manual. You will need to input (plug in) the optical digital cable into a specific numbered optical digital input. Then it appears you must "pick a component name" (i.e., DVR, satellite, etc) and assign the optical digital input to that component. Then to get that audio input you will need to select the component name you associated with the optical digital input. I can't really provide any more specifics. The Marantz owners manual tells how to do everything required for Marantz issues/actions. The Samsung part of the action is easy, it's knowing how to use your Marantz that is the challenge. Anyone with a Marantz, maybe you can help.?
I will have my husband take a look at it it tonight. I'm really not understanding why the ARC isn't working properly. I feel like I should be able to use it and not need to mess with the optical cable. I have wasted the whole day and accomplished nothing. This is very aggravating.thanks again for getting back with me
post #840 of 1894 Old 03-07-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:

I will have my husband take a look at it it tonight. I'm really not understanding why the ARC isn't working properly. I feel like I should be able to use it and not need to mess with the optical cable. I have wasted the whole day and accomplished nothing. This is very aggravating.thanks again for getting back with me
my husband hooked up the optical cable and it is still not working. I'm not exactly sure what settings were changed but now when I press the Netflix button the TV goes to netflix but for some reason the Marantz switches to TV.Cann you tell me what it is supposed to turn to on the Marantz? My husband got mad and quit. So I'm still trying to figure this out but it sounds like I need to hire somebody to fix it. What is BD stand for?
lnputpage1.jpg 89k .jpg file inputpage2.jpg 82k .jpg file
Okay I see what he changed in the settings when he added the optical cable. OPT-1 was on Satellite along with the HDMI-3. Now the OPT-1 is with TV. I'm not sure if showing these settings will help you know what is going on or not. I appreciate your help. Hopefully I won't need to ask my husband to do anything. frown.gif So with this optical cable it isn't hooked to ARC on the Marantz cause the only ARC is USB and it is in use to the one connect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg inputpage2.jpg (82.3 KB, 13 views)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55f9000 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65f9000 65 Inch 4k Ultra Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page