**Official** Samsung 4K UN55F9000, UN65F9000, and UN85S9 Thread - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1944 Old 04-07-2014, 07:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoaxie View Post

I have the 55 inch F9000 and I keep reading about people being disappointed in the picture quality of regular full HD quality. Personally I do not see anything wrong here and im actually quite impressed with it especially taking into account that im sitting very close to the screen but everything still looks great (no noise or blur at all).
I have used some calibrating settings i found somewhere (I think on this same forum). my Blu ray player is an Oppo 103 which is known for excellent blu ray quality so maybe this is playing a role too, apart from that my oppo upscales to 4k as well.
the picture quality from my STB (also a samsung) is very good as well even SD material looks very decent on such a big screen better than my expectations were. I did notice that the settings in the motion plus make a lot of difference. I had good results with clear and at the moment im trying Blur Reduction at 10 and judder reduction at 5 and things still look good for me (custom setting). On the smooth setting no so much.

The only thing im a bit dissapointed in so far are the out of screen popups in 3D, I feel this could be better. Then again maybe im comparing too much with some imax 3d movies I saw in the theatre where things really seem to be right infront of you (for example bubbles that seem to be all over the place that makes you want to reach out and touch them). Also sometimes I feel that my Asus 3d PC Monitor with Nvidia's 3d technology does a better job at pop outs. Madagascar 3d worked pretty well on the F9000 though. Im trying to get more depth without the crosstalk (which already appears on normal movies if you go 1 setting up from 0 and on cartoons you can usually go to 2 or 3 before serious crosstalk appears). So far not much luck yet. The 3d performance is still great though just not perfect.

I like my 3D to jump out more too. Guess I'm a sucker for the gimmick. smile.gif

I am going to be purchasing the Oppo 103D tomorrow. I've read a lot of great reviews on this player. However, it will not be for the 65F9000 that I just recently purchased. I'm getting it for the theater room.

I have read somewhere that if you set the TV size for 3D setting in the Oppo to 999 it gives you more depth to the images without crosstalk issues. I will definitely give this a try. If you try it before me, I'd love to hear how it worked out.

Regards,

Yanki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1944 Old 04-07-2014, 08:03 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoaxie View Post

If it dies after the warranty runs out I dont mind buying a new tv again im sure that in a few years there's something better again and this TV will be dirt cheap. Also its a good excuse to the girlfriend that we need to buy a new tv again if this one breaks down after a few years! smile.gif
If 4k really takes off over the next few years I might consider moving this TV out of my man cave and put it in the livingroom and buy another 4k tv. To be honest I think all those warranty plans are a rip off. I never had issues with TV's and if one would break it would be from dropping or other clumpsy behaviour around the TV and in this case my basic insurrance will cover that.

agreed

post #1173 of 1944 Old 04-07-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 531
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteel View Post

So I had the pleasure to see the UN65HU9000 yesterday at Best Buy. All I can say is that I will not be getting this TV as my F9000 has a better picture than that TV does. The curve on the screen did no justice for me and I found that it reflected more background light than when the F9000 was sitting in the same spot. I could tell at the top of the screen where the frame and screen had slight bend creases along the top curved edge. I am going to layout my own experience with the TV is separate categories:
I personally would not buy it just because of the curve........
post #1174 of 1944 Old 04-07-2014, 10:03 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmace193 View Post

I just purchased a UN55F9000 from Best Buy yesterday. When turning on the screen remains blank but I can tell there are changes to the screen backlighting and hear sound. After trying many different scenarios I found that if I unplug and replug the TV connect cable about 10 to 15 times it eventually works normally. As soon as I turn the TV off and back on it goes back to the blank screen and requires another round of unplugging and replugging. I have tried it with all my cables hooked up and none of my cables hooked up with the same results.

Best buy cannot get another TV for 7 to 10 days so I am trying to figure this out so I can use it until then.

Any thoughts?

Only issue I've had is twice now I will go to power the TV on and the power light on the TV flickers really fast and nothing happens. All I seem to have to do is unplug the one connect cable from the one connect box for a few seconds, plug it back in and then the TV powers up fine. I have a few hard drives with different content that I will plug in and unplug through out the week so I'm not sure if when doing that I'm jarring the one connect cable or not. Like I said it's only happened twice and I've owned the tv for about 2.5 months now so I'm not too worried about it. Wonder when I get a new one connect box if I'll encounter it again.
post #1175 of 1944 Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookiee2cu View Post

Only issue I've had is twice now I will go to power the TV on and the power light on the TV flickers really fast and nothing happens. All I seem to have to do is unplug the one connect cable from the one connect box for a few seconds, plug it back in and then the TV powers up fine. I have a few hard drives with different content that I will plug in and unplug through out the week so I'm not sure if when doing that I'm jarring the one connect cable or not. Like I said it's only happened twice and I've owned the tv for about 2.5 months now so I'm not too worried about it. Wonder when I get a new one connect box if I'll encounter it again.

since my problem happened right out of the box they don't want to do any troubleshooting. that being said it sounds like 7 to 10 days before i will be seeing a replacement.

post #1176 of 1944 Old 04-07-2014, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

I personally would not buy it just because of the curve........

My thoughts exactly. I was hesitant to brush it off as a contender, but now I know that after seeing it in person, I have no desire to own a curved TV. I think the HU8550 will be the TV that will be the most popular. If my F9000 was to die today, that would be the TV I would hope to get.
post #1177 of 1944 Old 04-07-2014, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimmace193 View Post

since my problem happened right out of the box they don't want to do any troubleshooting. that being said it sounds like 7 to 10 days before i will be seeing a replacement.

awesome! (sarcasm) i just found out it that a replacement will not be available from samsung until the 4/24. that will make 1 day short of 3 weeks to wait for a replacement for a TV that was bad right out of the box. 

i noticed that the UN55UH8550 for this year is the same price on Samsung's website. anybody know if this is comparable? I told my guy to see if they will just give me one of those in exchange. I think it lacks the camera but I also think this is a novelty. just worry about processor speed and things like that. 

post #1178 of 1944 Old 04-07-2014, 04:18 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I can't say whether the F9000 or 8550 is the better set. Personally, if I had to make a choice, I would gamble on the F9000 once it has the upgraded one connect box.

Local dimming on the 8550 is strictly a software process. The F9000 and this year's 9000 both have a software and hardware solution for local dimming. Numerous reviewers last year said the hardware and software solution was a much superior local dimming to sets having strictly software.
post #1179 of 1944 Old 04-07-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

I can't say whether the F9000 or 8550 is the better set. Personally, if I had to make a choice, I would gamble on the F9000 once it has the upgraded one connect box.

Local dimming on the 8550 is strictly a software process. The F9000 and this year's 9000 both have a software and hardware solution for local dimming. Numerous reviewers last year said the hardware and software solution was a much superior local dimming to sets having strictly software.
my best buy guy said he would look into it and let me know the differences if any. His concern is that the 9000 is the "flagship" device for the year and has the premium hardware where as the 8550 is specifically made to be a more cost effective option.

I would like to stay with the 9000 but its hard to buy a Brnd new TV and wait 2 1\2 weeks to use it. (First world problems)
post #1180 of 1944 Old 04-07-2014, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I still believe the f9000 is the flagship esp when the new one connect comes out. There is a reason why the set is heavier than this years model, it's a better build. I think the f9000 costs too much to produce so Sammy is reducing quality and extras like the heavy stand etc to bring down the cost. The f9000 looks like a $4-5k tv. The new models do not.

Samsung UHD 4K UN65F9000, Sharp LC46D64U,
Shaw HD PVR Gateway and Portals,
PS4 500gb launch edition,
Samsung BD-P3600, Sony BDP-S470,
Pioneer VSX-1026, Monster Power HDP 2550
Polk Audio 7.1- CS1, Monitor 70s, Monitor 60s, Monitor 40s, PSW505,
Blu-Ray collection- 572 and counting. See them here

post #1181 of 1944 Old 04-07-2014, 07:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Awaiting delivery on 4/12. I was reluctant to buy extended warranty for F9000 from BB. Way too much money. I hope the TV gives me at least 5-6 yrs of good service. Hopefully Samsung offers the extended warranty at a better price before the original warranty expires.

Vinod
post #1182 of 1944 Old 04-08-2014, 05:07 AM

I have an issue that I am not sure about fixing.  Just bought the 55f9000 went in and used the cnet settings but I was watching Hitchcock last night and his black suit was being crushed in a lot of scenes.  Did I miss a setting?  How can I fix it?

post #1183 of 1944 Old 04-08-2014, 05:43 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Looking at this set and the lg la9650. Thoughts?
post #1184 of 1944 Old 04-08-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeeFi View Post

I have an issue that I am not sure about fixing.  Just bought the 55f9000 went in and used the cnet settings but I was watching Hitchcock last night and his black suit was being crushed in a lot of scenes.  Did I miss a setting?  How can I fix it?

Most of the time the blacks are fine, in some occasions the set does not get it and will get totally crushed. 

I have the feeling, after playing the set for some weeks now, the blacks get better.

But sometimes, ouch.

Can you reporduce some times? and maybe pic? 

post #1185 of 1944 Old 04-08-2014, 06:03 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeeFi View Post

You didn't say what you were using for input; but if it were me I would check the following:
1) ensure CNET settings have been implemented on the specific input you are using (it's possible that if you set them up on one input, they aren't on the others)
2) if your inputting component has setup adjustments for output (many players have them); make sure they are neutral ("0" position for brightness); and my first choice for color would be YCbCr, 2nd is limited (16-235) RGB, and third full RGB (0-255)
3) if you know you are inputting YCbCr color, the set will handle it correctly. If RGB you must have the correct selection in menu/picture/picture options/HDMI black level. If you are inputting full RGB and select "low", you will have black crush. The "low" setting is for limited RGB. If you were inputting limited RGB and had the F9000 on the higher setting (forget what it's called), the picture would be washed out.
4) finally, you can always increase shadow detail by increasing brightness (but tradeoff if too high is washing out the picture)

Final thought is that the source video itself just may not be that good. I would watch other programming and see if you have the same problem. Or better yet, obtain a calibration disk like DVE HD Basics or Spears and Munsil and use their specific screen for setting brightness.

Good luck. Others may have more suggestions.
post #1186 of 1944 Old 04-08-2014, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smacrae View Post

Looking at this set and the lg la9650. Thoughts?

the LA9650 is the set that I was trying to get before I purchased this set. I actually purchased the 9650 from Sears but they hosed me on the "in store pickup". I went to Best Buy because they had the LG "in stock" and i could just pick it up and not deal with shipping. Turns out it was not in stock so I looked around for a bit and the Magnolia guys sold me on the Samsung. comparing the 2 side by side, the f9000 really did look better.

(full disclosure) when i turned on the F9000 for the first time the screen did not work and every time I want to watch it I have to unplug and replug the one connect box about 20 times before the picture comes on and hope like hell the little one doesn't step on the remote and turn off the TV. I'm not telling you this to discourage you. I'm tell you this because Best buy will replace my TV but cannot find one for 2 weeks and i am willing to wait. that's how good this TV looks. I have tried to find people with problems on this thread but they are few and far between and any problem seems to have been met with a good response from Samsung.

the reason I wanted the the LG in the first place is the Passive 3D. but after watching a few movies with the Active 3D, i see why people "say" its better. it still has its quirks but looks great.

hope this helps. just don't go to Sears and you'll be fine...(this goes for everyone)

post #1187 of 1944 Old 04-08-2014, 07:23 AM

How was the picture better on the 9000?

post #1188 of 1944 Old 04-08-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:

How was the picture better on the 9000?

just seemed more clear and the interface was a lot faster. now that i have played with the settings (there are a lot) it looks even better than it did in the store.

post #1189 of 1944 Old 04-08-2014, 07:27 AM

I don't understand...what about the picture was better on the Samsung you said when you saw them side by side?

post #1190 of 1944 Old 04-08-2014, 07:29 AM

Quote:

I don't understand...what about the picture was better on the Samsung you said when you saw them side by side?

sorry i misread your reply. see edited comment

post #1191 of 1944 Old 04-08-2014, 07:33 AM

Quote:

the 4K stuff they showed me on both sets look exactly the same. where i saw a (minor) difference was the 1080p blue ray. had they had the LG in stock I probably would have still bought that but i am impatient. that being said i am happy with my purchase. even though I have to wait for a new set

post #1192 of 1944 Old 04-08-2014, 09:52 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I don't understand how Samsung is going to get 4K streaming to work with Netflix. If you look at Netflix's speed chart at the following link it doesn't appear that any of the ISP's will allow Netflix to stream at the speeds needed for 4k (about 15mbps) http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/

I get 50+ mbps with Comcast on the Internet through my One Connect box so it appears that the ISP's are limiting the bandwidth they will let Netflix use. I wonder if this is true for Amazon as well? I know that I will also need the new One Connect box for the F9000, but it still doesn't eliminate the ISP throttling issue.
post #1193 of 1944 Old 04-08-2014, 10:22 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atodzia View Post

I don't understand how Samsung is going to get 4K streaming to work with Netflix. If you look at Netflix's speed chart at the following link it doesn't appear that any of the ISP's will allow Netflix to stream at the speeds needed for 4k (about 15mbps) http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/

I get 50+ mbps with Comcast on the Internet through my One Connect box so it appears that the ISP's are limiting the bandwidth they will let Netflix use. I wonder if this is true for Amazon as well? I know that I will also need the new One Connect box for the F9000, but it still doesn't eliminate the ISP throttling issue.

That's average. It shows TWC at less than 2. I have a 35 mbps broadband from them and get around 24 via wi fi at my audio/video center in the family room. If required, I can increase my service to 50 mbps which should provide over 30 via the wi fi connection. Now, I can't guarantee that TWC will provide that for Netflix; but I think they will definitely provide more than 15. I currently have no problem maintaining the 1080P video which I think requires around 6 mbps. Bottom line: The speeds shown in the chart have nothing to do with what someone may get in their particular setup.
post #1194 of 1944 Old 04-08-2014, 10:52 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Big question we all need to know is when samsung bringing out the new connect box? Late spring?
post #1195 of 1944 Old 04-08-2014, 12:18 PM

Liked: 12

I am wondering the same thing about streaming 4K content to my TV via wifi.  I tried using speedtest.net through the TV's browser when I first got it all set up and I was barely seeing 5mbps.  In that same living room I consistently see nearly 30mbps on all of my other wifi devices (iPhone, iPad, laptop, Galaxy S5).  I'm worried about how the TV will manage to stream 4K at that rate?  I am using Comcast internet.

However with all that said, Netflix through the TV app is very good over wifi with what we currently watch.  We have no appreciable buffer or quality issues.  So I'm wondering if the way I'm testing the speed is incorrect?  Am I worried for nothing?

Worst case scenario I move the router down to the living room and plug an ethernet cable directly into the TV, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

post #1196 of 1944 Old 04-08-2014, 02:01 PM

Has anyone seen the HU8550 and f9000 side by side? Any thoughts?

post #1197 of 1944 Old 04-08-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:

Has anyone seen the HU8550 and f9000 side by side? Any thoughts?

A good comparison is just one page back in this thread.............

post #1198 of 1944 Old 04-08-2014, 08:28 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRWRX View Post

I am wondering the same thing about streaming 4K content to my TV via wifi.  I tried using speedtest.net through the TV's browser when I first got it all set up and I was barely seeing 5mbps.  In that same living room I consistently see nearly 30mbps on all of my other wifi devices (iPhone, iPad, laptop, Galaxy S5).  I'm worried about how the TV will manage to stream 4K at that rate?  I am using Comcast internet.

However with all that said, Netflix through the TV app is very good over wifi with what we currently watch.  We have no appreciable buffer or quality issues.  So I'm wondering if the way I'm testing the speed is incorrect?  Am I worried for nothing?

Worst case scenario I move the router down to the living room and plug an ethernet cable directly into the TV, but I would like to avoid that if possible.

I have TWC 35 mbps internet service into the den. Use wifi to a Buffalo Ethernet Converter in the family room and it outputs via Ethernet cable to my a/v components. Using Speedtest.net on the F9000 internet app normally shows 23-25 mbps.
VRWRX likes this.
post #1199 of 1944 Old 04-09-2014, 08:50 AM

Thanks.  So maybe it's the wifi reception on the TV.  I will look into an ethernet converter.  I had never seen those before, but it would work great for all of my a/v components as well.  Thanks for the recommendation!

EDIT:  Is this (or something similar) what you're using as the ethernet converter?  http://www.buffalotech.com/products/wireless/client-adapters/airstation-n300-4-port-dual-band-wireless-ethernet-bridge

post #1200 of 1944 Old 04-09-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 77
NETFLIX 4K STREAMING SUPPORT:

I apologize if I missed this, but I thought I read some of you F9000 owners were able to play Netflix 4K streams. In other places I read this requires the 2014 Connect box to provide the necessary HDCP 2,2 and HEVC support. But I thought the box was not yet released. What did the firmware update provide? Please fill me in.

I've been looking at this TV and some LG 2013 4K models. The LGs will not play Netflix 4K but do claim to have HEVC support, at least via USB at 30Hz. So, I can't determine if the limitation for 4K streaming with the LG units is hardware (could be the processor as well as version of the HECV decoder chip) or a Netflix app issue.

TIA
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55f9000 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65f9000 65 Inch 4k Ultra Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page