**Official** Samsung 4K UN55F9000, UN65F9000, and UN85S9 Thread - Page 52 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1531 of 2161 Old 05-22-2014, 01:51 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Anyone have the TMN Go app on this TV in Canada? The movie network web site says it's available but i can't find it on the TV

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 2161 Old 05-22-2014, 06:03 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by smacrae View Post

Anyone have the TMN Go app on this TV in Canada? The movie network web site says it's available but i can't find it on the TV

I have the 'movie central' go app. Same thing but western canada

Samsung UHD 4K UN65F9000, Sharp LC46D64U,
Shaw HD PVR Gateway and Portals,
PS4 500gb launch edition,
Samsung BD-P3600, Sony BDP-S470,
Pioneer VSX-1026, Monster Power HDP 2550
Polk Audio 7.1- CS1, Monitor 70s, Monitor 60s, Monitor 40s, PSW505,
Blu-Ray collection- 572 and counting. See them here

post #1533 of 2161 Old 05-23-2014, 04:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Got my UK evolution kit this morning, the original one connect cable didn't work for me during the upgrade, just got a black screen. Switched to the new cable and it was fine. It seems all the original 4k content split over 4 files needs to converted back to a single file.
post #1534 of 2161 Old 05-23-2014, 05:00 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 635 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarky175 View Post

Got my UK evolution kit this morning, the original one connect cable didn't work for me during the upgrade, just got a black screen. Switched to the new cable and it was fine. It seems all the original 4k content split over 4 files needs to converted back to a single file.

Do you see any improvement/difference in upconverted video? Do your old settings (i.e., brightness, contrast, white balance, etc.) appear to still be good?
post #1535 of 2161 Old 05-23-2014, 01:26 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post

Do you see any improvement/difference in upconverted video? Do your old settings (i.e., brightness, contrast, white balance, etc.) appear to still be good?

Video settings have been retained, apps had to be re-installed though, 4K content on Netflix is virtually non existent, can't notice any difference in video quality as yet, hopefully the judder i suffered on my media centre is fixed.

rlb likes this.
post #1536 of 2161 Old 05-24-2014, 04:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 51
It is nice to see that the Evolution kit is starting to become widely available. It seems the OCB comes with UHD Color and Cinema Black which I am happy about.

Was about to place my order through Crutchfield since they have the SEK-2500 in stock, but I went to BB website and they have it listed as available as well so I went with BB so that I can use my points and gift card. Got it down to 319.00 with free expedited shipping since I am a Elite Plus member. Scheduled to be here 5/27-5/28. Once I retrieve it, I will wait for the firmware update to connect it. Patience is a virtue.
post #1537 of 2161 Old 05-25-2014, 09:49 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29

AVS Forum link to thread for SEK-2500U 2014 Evolution Kit and CY-SUC10SH HDD Video Pack:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1530642/2014-samsung-sek-2500u-za-evolution-kit-and-cy-suc10sh-za-uhd-video-pack

post #1538 of 2161 Old 05-25-2014, 12:08 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Note to US model F9000 series owners:
As of 5/25/14, the US version of the 2014 Evolution Kit (SEK-2500U/ZA) is NOT functional with 2013 F9000 series UHDTVs. Samsung has not released the required US firmware/software updates yet. The TV and Evolution Kit will NOT interface with each other. After initial connections are done and the TV is turned on, a graphic is displayed which indicates a lack of connection. Sadly, I had to reconnect the TV's original One Connect box to my UN65F9000 UHDTV. Samsung has released the hardware before the software/firmware is available. The "cart" came before the "horse" on this product. Once this "bug" is corrected, the 2014 Evolution Kit will be a valuable upgrade.
post #1539 of 2161 Old 05-26-2014, 05:14 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi, I'm just gotten my UE55F9005 and very happy with it.

It came with Firmware version 2006.

I see that a new version is avaliable for the european models. (2221)

Has anyone updated theirs yet or is this just for the Evolution Kit ?

post #1540 of 2161 Old 05-26-2014, 06:53 AM - Thread Starter

Just got a firmware update notice this morning!!! This must be the update for the new OCB that I ordered last week that should be here tomorrow or Wednesday. Hope the someone can shed some light on this update.
post #1541 of 2161 Old 05-26-2014, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Updated the firmware this morning but it still doesn't support (play) 3840x1600 4K video I found online. Do you need to buy the new box to play 4k ? I've been trying to figure out how to play UHD video on this TV and it's driving me nuts!
post #1542 of 2161 Old 05-26-2014, 07:26 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Yes, you need the new one connect box to play unprocessed h264 4k videos. If not, you need to chop them up in 4x 1080p videos. See http://www.avsforum.com/t/1495361/samsung-uhd-xx-f9000-xx-f9xxx-how-to-play-4k-video-from-usb
post #1543 of 2161 Old 05-26-2014, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by owl1 View Post

Updated the firmware this morning but it still doesn't support (play) 3840x1600 4K video I found online. Do you need to buy the new box to play 4k ? I've been trying to figure out how to play UHD video on this TV and it's driving me nuts!

OK hold up. This firmware update from what I heard on the Evolution kit thread is not the final update. This update is to get ready for the evolution kit. Some things will work and some will not. Samsung stated the final one will be out by the end of June. So we are waiting a little longer. No worries.
post #1544 of 2161 Old 05-26-2014, 01:05 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I just got the update notice as well and was all excited because my one connect should be here next week, thanks for crushing my dreams :-) I'm in the U.S. and the current version is 2007, new update version is 2101, this is on a UN55F9000.
post #1545 of 2161 Old 05-26-2014, 02:59 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I think this new update will support the new one connect box. It added a setting to back up your One Connect settings temporarily to the TV before hooking up the new Evolution Kit One Connect box. My box has not arrived yet. My update occurred automatically this afternoon.
post #1546 of 2161 Old 05-26-2014, 03:28 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by atodzia View Post

I think this new update will support the new one connect box. It added a setting to back up your One Connect settings temporarily to the TV before hooking up the new Evolution Kit One Connect box. My box has not arrived yet. My update occurred automatically this afternoon.
From reading other posts I believe all this update is meant to do is back up your current settings, the next firmware is to make the box fully compatible. People have already stated some things work with the new update and something's do not... such as missing apps and HD channels looking washed out.

If you haven't already, check out this thread where users are reporting what they're finding with the latest firmware and new one connect box: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1530642/2014-samsung-sek-2500u-za-evolution-kit-and-cy-suc10sh-za-uhd-video-pack/390
post #1547 of 2161 Old 05-27-2014, 12:07 AM

Liked: 14

2014 Samsung SEK-2500U/ZA Evolution Kit and CY-SUC10SH/ZA UHD Video Pack

Post has been added

#391 of 40912 hours ago

IlliniBird

Quote:

Originally Posted by wingizzmo 

I'm having issues getting my rvu direct tv back up 

What is RVU Direct TV? I have Genie and I think I could use this but am not connected to TV that way.

AVS would like to say thank you
to our site Sponsors!

#392 of 40912 hours ago

IlliniBird

Quote:

Originally Posted by sikclown 

Incorrect. I updated my TV to 2101 just now. It adds the ability to do UHD Evolution Kit update. Then it walks you through installing the new box which I just did. Then when you turn the TV back on with the new box it walks you through setup again. After you get network set up it downloads the newest firmware for the new One Connect. Netflix is missing on mine though. Also getting a strange screen flicker on all HDMI sources. It deleted some of my picture settings so I have to redo calibration.

Same problem here. I installed the firmware through the update function of the TV. Firmware ran fine and I connected the UHD Evolution kit (SEK-2500u) again updating as Samsung leads you step-by-step. This was successful. Netflix worked as did the 4k movies but anything input through the new HDMI 2.0 flickered on the screen and the color is degraded. Not happy after spending $300 and installing the correct firmware. Can't watch Direct TV or a Blu-Ray movie through the new Connect One box.

Called Samsung support and they were no help. Anybody have any ideas or know more?

#393 of 40912 hours ago

sikclown

Quote:

Originally Posted by IlliniBird 

Same problem here. I installed the firmware through the update function of the TV. Firmware ran fine and I connected the UHD Evolution kit (SEK-2500u) again updating as Samsung leads you step-by-step. This was successful. Netflix worked as did the 4k movies but anything input through the new HDMI 2.0 flickered on the screen and the color is degraded. Not happy after spending $300 and installing the correct firmware. Can't watch Direct TV or a Blu-Ray movie through the new Connect One box.

Called Samsung support and they were no help. Anybody have any ideas or know more?

Try the old cable for the flickering issue. It fixed mine.

#394 of 40911 hours ago

JSteel

Quote:

Alright everyone just got off the phone with Samsung support the firmware from this morning is not the firmware for the evolution kit, its to get ready for it. The firmware is not in the kit there will be another coming soon. Was told to use the old one connect box for now I asked when will the firmware be ready he said he was told the end of june . 

Thanks for the heads up. So it seems I will be waiting till the end of June or whenever the final update comes out.

#395 of 40911 hours ago

wookiee2cu

Quote:

Because this isn't the final update, it was posted earlier that some things would work but not all. Can't be mad with samsung as they never claimed this was the final update for the new one connect. It was mentioned the final firmware is slated to be released towards the end of June, it sucks but we've got to be a little more patient. Some folks are messing around with the Korean firmware and getting some things to work, I'm not gonna mess with it just in fear I'll have to spend an hour with samsung tech support in order to get it over written to get the new box to work.

#396 of 40910 hours ago

upstate-avfan-da

Just ordered mine via BB, should be here this week. Hopefully netflix 4k will work.

#397 of 40910 hours ago

wingizzmo

Quote:

What is RVU Direct TV? I have Genie and I think I could use this but am not connected to TV that way.

rvu is a direct tv box built in your tv you still need the genie to act as a server on another tv in the house so it acts like a mini genie without the box

#398 of 40910 hours ago

mooreworship

I just reconnected the old one connect box, I think the picture quality is horrible, it looks like you have cataracts or something, the picture is washed out, and it makes blu rays look like dvds, and that's with an oppo 103D. I will wait on the complete firmware upgrade.

#399 of 4099 hours ago

rojames30

you right moore!!! I too disconnecting my new one one connect box. the pictures look washed out the blacks looks like grays to me

#400 of 4097 hours ago

IlliniBird

Quote:

Originally Posted by rojames30 

you right moore!!! I too disconnecting my new one one connect box. the pictures look washed out the blacks looks like grays to me

I disconnected the 2014 Evolution One Connect Box (2014) and am using the 2013 One Connect box. Picture looks great again. I really wish Samsung would post an announcement for everybody to end the confusion here.

#401 of 4097 hours ago

AccordTR

Have to remember, samsung has not released the new one connect yet officially, you guys are buying early leaks at the retail level. Samsung probably doesn't feel the need to mention not using the new one connect because really you shouldn't even have access to it.

#402 of 4096 hours ago

IlliniBird

Quote:

Originally Posted by wookiee2cu 

Because this isn't the final update, it was posted earlier that some things would work but not all. Can't be mad with samsung as they never claimed this was the final update for the new one connect. It was mentioned the final firmware is slated to be released towards the end of June, it sucks but we've got to be a little more patient. Some folks are messing around with the Korean firmware and getting some things to work, I'm not gonna mess with it just in fear I'll have to spend an hour with samsung tech support in order to get it over written to get the new box to work.

Where was this mentioned officially by Samsung? I think part of the problem is there is so much conjecture without official word from them. When my TV downloaded the firmware this morning it had a category to install the 2014 Evolution Kit; this did not work correctly and I am really wondering why Samsung would release an incomplete upgrade. If they did, they knew it would create a lot of confusion and if not, it's CYA because the updated firmware won't work and they're trying to buy time to fix what should have been ready today.

#403 of 4096 hours ago

wookiee2cu

Quote:

Where was this mentioned officially by Samsung? I think part of the problem is there is so much conjecture without official word from them. When my TV downloaded the firmware this morning it had a category to install the 2014 Evolution Kit; this did not work correctly and I am really wondering why Samsung would release an incomplete upgrade. If they did, they knew it would create a lot of confusion and if not, it's CYA because the updated firmware won't work and they're trying to buy time to fix what should have been ready today.

There is nothing official from samsung because they haven't released the final firmware yet. Look back 1 page at post #383, the member said he phoned samsung and they told him it is not the final firmware. The final should be out towards the end of June, I'm sure this date is subject to change. If you registered your tv with samsung then I would hope that they are smart enough to send out notification once the final update is available or you get a notification on your TV. Once the final version is out and everything is working, it'll be all over this thread and you won't be able to miss it. Until then it's probably just folks with the new box and playing around with the Korean firmware which is at your own risk. It is odd that we're able to get our hands on the new box before the firmware is out, maybe the retailers weren't supposed to release them yet? Or maybe samsung wanted to give the owners the opportunity to have the box in place so when the firmware is available they are good to go? I'm hoping it's the latter but who knows.

#404 of 4096 hours ago

IlliniBird

Quote:

There is nothing official from samsung because they haven't released the final firmware yet. Look back 1 page at post #383, the member said he phoned samsung and they told him it is not the final firmware. The final should be out towards the end of June, I'm sure this date is subject to change. If you registered your tv with samsung then I would hope that they are smart enough to send out notification once the final update is available or you get a notification on your TV. Once the final version is out and everything is working, it'll be all over this thread and you won't be able to miss it. Until then it's probably just folks with the new box and playing around with the Korean firmware which is at your own risk. It is odd that we're able to get our hands on the new box before the firmware is out, maybe the retailers weren't supposed to release them yet? Or maybe samsung wanted to give the owners the opportunity to have the box in place so when the firmware is available they are good to go? I'm hoping it's the latter but who knows.

Really hope you are correct but I still feel this is a poor way to introduce something. The retailers sold the kits and one would think if Samsung did not feel things were ready they would not release them to these retailers. I wish Samsung would publish something openly to everyone so we didn't have to refer to second hand information which may or may not be true. I truly don't mind waiting and certainly would not have downloaded Samsung's firmware that had a category for updating the TV to use 2014 One Connect if I knew it was incomplete or wouldn't work.

Just official word from Samsung; that's all I want.

#405 of 4096 hours ago

wookiee2cu

I agree, on the TV in the menu system where the upgrade is listed there should be a brief description as of to what the update is for (unless it is there and you have to hit info or something that I don't recall seeing). This would keep everyone informed and probably reduce a lot of phone calls to their tech support :-)

#406 of 4093 hours ago

sikclown

The new one connect box looks great with 4k sources and Built in apps. Anything with lowers resolution looks washed out. As for the firmware not being released officially, well they should block the download then.

#407 of 4093 hours ago

HydrasunGQ

I can confirm that the new 2101 firmware allows for the evolution to be used. Although just like prior people have mentioned my colors are washed out. Are there any setting recommendations out there to get some decent colors, brightness, and black levels?

#408 of 4093 hours ago

sikclown

Quote:

Originally Posted by HydrasunGQ 

I can confirm that the new 2101 firmware allows for the evolution to be used. Although just like prior people have mentioned my colors are washed out. Are there any setting recommendations out there to get some decent colors, brightness, and black levels?

The Cnet settings add back some color, etc but the only way I have found to make the picture look great is by using my receiver to upconvert every HDMI source to a 4k signal.

#409 of 409a few seconds ago

southpaw2014

As of 5/27/2014, Samsung released version 2101 in the U.S. Please let me know if your 2014 UHD Evolution Kit works with this 2101 firmware?
post #1548 of 2161 Old 05-27-2014, 12:10 AM

Liked: 14

Post has been added

#391 of 40912 hours ago

IlliniBird

Quote:

I'm having issues getting my rvu direct tv back up 

AVS would like to say thank you
to our site Sponsors!

#392 of 40912 hours ago

IlliniBird

Quote:

Originally Posted by sikclown 

Incorrect. I updated my TV to 2101 just now. It adds the ability to do UHD Evolution Kit update. Then it walks you through installing the new box which I just did. Then when you turn the TV back on with the new box it walks you through setup again. After you get network set up it downloads the newest firmware for the new One Connect. Netflix is missing on mine though. Also getting a strange screen flicker on all HDMI sources. It deleted some of my picture settings so I have to redo calibration.

#393 of 40912 hours ago

sikclown

Quote:

Try the old cable for the flickering issue. It fixed mine.

#394 of 40911 hours ago

JSteel

Quote:

Alright everyone just got off the phone with Samsung support the firmware from this morning is not the firmware for the evolution kit, its to get ready for it. The firmware is not in the kit there will be another coming soon. Was told to use the old one connect box for now I asked when will the firmware be ready he said he was told the end of june . 

Thanks for the heads up. So it seems I will be waiting till the end of June or whenever the final update comes out.

#395 of 40911 hours ago

wookiee2cu

Quote:

#396 of 40910 hours ago

upstate-avfan-da

Just ordered mine via BB, should be here this week. Hopefully netflix 4k will work.

#397 of 40910 hours ago

wingizzmo

Quote:

rvu is a direct tv box built in your tv you still need the genie to act as a server on another tv in the house so it acts like a mini genie without the box

#398 of 40910 hours ago

mooreworship

I just reconnected the old one connect box, I think the picture quality is horrible, it looks like you have cataracts or something, the picture is washed out, and it makes blu rays look like dvds, and that's with an oppo 103D. I will wait on the complete firmware upgrade.

#399 of 4099 hours ago

rojames30

#400 of 4097 hours ago

IlliniBird

Quote:

Originally Posted by rojames30 

I disconnected the 2014 Evolution One Connect Box (2014) and am using the 2013 One Connect box. Picture looks great again. I really wish Samsung would post an announcement for everybody to end the confusion here.

#401 of 4097 hours ago

AccordTR

Have to remember, samsung has not released the new one connect yet officially, you guys are buying early leaks at the retail level. Samsung probably doesn't feel the need to mention not using the new one connect because really you shouldn't even have access to it.

#402 of 4096 hours ago

IlliniBird

Quote:

#403 of 4096 hours ago

wookiee2cu

Quote:

#404 of 4096 hours ago

IlliniBird

Quote:

Really hope you are correct but I still feel this is a poor way to introduce something. The retailers sold the kits and one would think if Samsung did not feel things were ready they would not release them to these retailers. I wish Samsung would publish something openly to everyone so we didn't have to refer to second hand information which may or may not be true. I truly don't mind waiting and certainly would not have downloaded Samsung's firmware that had a category for updating the TV to use 2014 One Connect if I knew it was incomplete or wouldn't work.

Just official word from Samsung; that's all I want.

#405 of 4096 hours ago

wookiee2cu

I agree, on the TV in the menu system where the upgrade is listed there should be a brief description as of to what the update is for (unless it is there and you have to hit info or something that I don't recall seeing). This would keep everyone informed and probably reduce a lot of phone calls to their tech support :-)

#406 of 4093 hours ago

sikclown

The new one connect box looks great with 4k sources and Built in apps. Anything with lowers resolution looks washed out. As for the firmware not being released officially, well they should block the download then.

#407 of 4093 hours ago

HydrasunGQ

#408 of 4093 hours ago

sikclown

Quote:

Originally Posted by HydrasunGQ 

The Cnet settings add back some color, etc but the only way I have found to make the picture look great is by using my receiver to upconvert every HDMI source to a 4k signal.

#409 of 409a few seconds ago

southpaw2014

As of 5/27/2014, Samsung released version 2101 in the U.S. Please let me know if your 2014 UHD Upgrade Kit SEK-2500U/ZA works with this new firmware?
post #1549 of 2161 Old 05-27-2014, 12:20 AM

Hi guys

have been lurking around and not posting much, but thank you very much for the advice and postings here, its been very helpful

thought I'd contribute today. Comments apply to HK / Asia but take what you will from my comments, i'd imagine it maybe similar to your jurisdiction. 

I went into my local Fortress (local best buy) and saw the new 2014 panels. they were displaying new content (Avengers and transformers in 4k! trailers for a ton of other stuff. awesome! ) and there's 5 movies with the new UHD Samsung panels on a HDD. They were also showing 'cross' content ie Samsung content on other screems, so the formats seem to all be resolved. Unfortunately these won't work on the F9000 panels yet but will once you get the new connect box. 

I also got a chance to chat with the Samsung rep who happen to be there and he's said 

1. He's seen the demo of the new connect box for F9000 for HK / Asia and it should be out in the next 2-3 months. Pricing unknown. 

2. he mentioned the best way to get info / price / availability is to sign up for Samsung Club S (free) . For HK, there doesn't seem to be a direct link from the main pages but if you type www.samsung.com/hk/clubs it comes up. (note for HK, this is different from simply creating a samsung account) 

3. he also mentions if you do sign up for Samsung Club S they will most likely offer a bundle deal for the new connect box and the UHD pack! 

For background, I'm based in HK and bought the F9000 panel about 2 months ago when they were clearing stock and have been eagerly waiting for 4k stuff. 

Hope that helps! All the best. 

post #1550 of 2161 Old 06-03-2014, 06:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I hate to bring up this subject again but I am still confused on this issue. When I look at the tv descriptions on the Samsung web site the new hu tv's list one of their features as 4k upscaling everything but if you read the features on the f9000 it says nothing about upscaling. There must be some sort of difference and would that difference be in the one connect box?
post #1551 of 2161 Old 06-03-2014, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 825 Post(s)
Liked: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragob86 View Post

I hate to bring up this subject again but I am still confused on this issue. When I look at the tv descriptions on the Samsung web site the new hu tv's list one of their features as 4k upscaling everything but if you read the features on the f9000 it says nothing about upscaling. There must be some sort of difference and would that difference be in the one connect box?

The website has removed some detail from the F9000 descriptions since the 2014 models were released but it has what they call 4K Dynamic Upscaling vs UHD Upscaling on the 2014 4k TVs which is likely the same. People get confused by Upscaling on this TV though. It may say 1920x1080 on the info when you check it but the TV is dynamically upscaling the picture to fit a 3840 x 2160 screen; otherwise you would have to zoom in the picture like with SD sources. Upscaling has become that buzzword that manufacturers are using to sell more hardware like upscaling Bluray players, Receivers, etc. Those devices will send over an upscaled image but with the algorithms Samsung uses in their 4k TVs they are not necessary. I found this tidbit from a site comparing the HU8550 to the F9000

"In terms of the picture quality, the HU8550 utilizes the UHD Upscaling technology, which is focused not only on simply upconverting the SD or HD images to fit into the display native resolution of 3840 x 2160, but also on reducing the noise and enhancing the detail in order for the displayed content to appear more Ultra HD like. The F9000 includes the 4K Dynamic Upscaling, which is powered by basically the same Quadmatic Picture Engine, albeit first generation and possibly less refined. That said, if you watch native 4k content, there will be hardly any difference in the picture quality of both series. "

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1162.2
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
post #1552 of 2161 Old 06-03-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked: 107
I had picked up a Sony W900a open box from Best buy on Saturday. It was open item with some minor cosmetic damage,but on further inspection it had cracked panel. I took it back and was glad I did because the store near my house had a 55" F8000 and F9000 open box with an additional 20% off. They were $80 difference in price,so it's safe to say I went for the F9000. I am glad I did,man this is a beautiful display and I paid about $1400 w/tax. It is on par with the W900a,but motion performance is actually much better on the Samsung. I am pleased with my purchase and can't wait for the new one connect box and 4k streaming.
sikclown likes this.
post #1553 of 2161 Old 06-03-2014, 10:16 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
For all of you F9000 owners... I'm going to either buy a 65" F9000 with the 2014 One Connect (once firmware is fixed,) or a 65" HU8550. Any thoughts between the two? There is so much contradicting information online. From my understanding thus far, the F9000 seems to be the better TV, on account of it's better blacks due to hardware and software based dimming, plus a better panel since it was the flagship model. Or does none of that matter, since the HU8550 is the new generation, and they've had time to refine the technology? I'm just really stuck between the two. Have any of you considered upgrading to the new model?

Maybe someone can give me a bit of advice? I'd really appreciate it.
post #1554 of 2161 Old 06-03-2014, 10:23 PM

I bought a UN65F9000 two weeks ago and was happy until I saw the new 8550 upscaling of 1080P while in Costco... Now I am seriously depressed with my purchase. The 8550 looked freaking amazing compared to the 9000s upscale abilities. The words on the screen were literally perfect. It was NOT a 4k preview or anything... It was the same 1080P signal the rest of the TVs in the store were getting.

... Who here thinks the new 2014 one connect box could come with the upscaling updates like the 8550 possesses ...?
post #1555 of 2161 Old 06-03-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.P View Post

For all of you F9000 owners... I'm going to either buy a 65" F9000 with the 2014 One Connect (once firmware is fixed,) or a 65" HU8550. Any thoughts between the two? There is so much contradicting information online. From my understanding thus far, the F9000 seems to be the better TV, on account of it's better blacks due to hardware and software based dimming, plus a better panel since it was the flagship model. Or does none of that matter, since the HU8550 is the new generation, and they've had time to refine the technology? I'm just really stuck between the two. Have any of you considered upgrading to the new model?

Maybe someone can give me a bit of advice? I'd really appreciate it.

I faced the same dilemma but opted for the un65f9000 vs the un65hu8550 due to price and the One Connect box. The 8550 does not come with a one connect box (no big deal) but is One Connect ready so it will take future kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokt45 View Post

I bought a UN65F9000 two weeks ago and was happy until I saw the new 8550 upscaling of 1080P while in Costco... Now I am seriously depressed with my purchase. The 8550 looked freaking amazing compared to the 9000s upscale abilities. The words on the screen were literally perfect. It was NOT a 4k preview or anything... It was the same 1080P signal the rest of the TVs in the store were getting.

... Who here thinks the new 2014 one connect box could come with the upscaling updates like the 8550 possesses ...?

The TVs they are trying to sell always look better in store for multiple reasons but the 8550 definitely has a 2nd generation upscaling vs the 9000's 1st generation. My 9000 looks amazing with a great 1080p source and still great with cable at 1080i. I really do think the upgraded processor and software in the UHD Evolution kit will improve the 9000 even more but that is my gut, not fact.
Mike.P likes this.

(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
post #1556 of 2161 Old 06-03-2014, 10:41 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post

I faced the same dilemma but opted for the un65f9000 vs the un65hu8550 due to price and the One Connect box. The 8550 does not come with a one connect box (no big deal) but is One Connect ready so it will take future kits.
The TVs they are trying to sell always look better in store for multiple reasons but the 8550 definitely has a 2nd generation upscaling vs the 9000's 1st generation. My 9000 looks amazing with a great 1080p source and still great with cable at 1080i. I really do think the upgraded processor and software in the UHD Evolution kit will improve the 9000 even more but that is my gut, not fact.

Thank you! I appreciate the input. That was another question I had too... The difference between first and second get upscaling. Another thing I can find zero info on. I really hope that the new box will have the second gen... Tried to contact Samsung regarding that via chat, and they were clueless. I got an e-mail saying that my question had been passed to a higher tier of support. That was five days ago now, and nothing after that. Ugh... Maybe I should just give it up, and spend the extra $800 to get the HU9000. But I'm really digging the F9000 still. Yes, I know, first world problems. Heh. But whichever I get, this will be the most expensive TV I've ever bought. So I want to be sure.
post #1557 of 2161 Old 06-03-2014, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.P View Post

Thank you! I appreciate the input. That was another question I had too... The difference between first and second get upscaling. Another thing I can find zero info on. I really hope that the new box will have the second gen... Tried to contact Samsung regarding that via chat, and they were clueless. I got an e-mail saying that my question had been passed to a higher tier of support. That was five days ago now, and nothing after that. Ugh... Maybe I should just give it up, and spend the extra $800 to get the HU9000. But I'm really digging the F9000 still. Yes, I know, first world problems. Heh. But whichever I get, this will be the most expensive TV I've ever bought. So I want to be sure.
. I almost gave in and bought the HU9000 but I watched it for about an hour and really found myself wishing it were flat.

post #1558 of 2161 Old 06-03-2014, 10:50 PM

The f9000 just seems to be made better than the 8550... The construction is like 1/2" to 3/4" thicker and to me... It's worth it. Feels so legit. The colors and blacks are also so legit.

I just want some amazing upscaling and I'm hoping the new box provides that. Or maybe I can get a better upscaling by buying a upscale receiver...

I bought the seiki u-vision cable to see if it was a better upscale than the Samsung and I couldn't even get it to turn on. Bummmerrer
post #1559 of 2161 Old 06-03-2014, 11:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokt45 View Post

The f9000 just seems to be made better than the 8550... The construction is like 1/2" to 3/4" thicker and to me... It's worth it. Feels so legit. The colors and blacks are also so legit.

I just want some amazing upscaling and I'm hoping the new box provides that. Or maybe I can get a better upscaling by buying a upscale receiver...

I bought the seiki u-vision cable to see if it was a better upscale than the Samsung and I couldn't even get it to turn on. Bummmerrer

Upscaled content is never going to look like actual 4k content. A 1080p source sends the F9000 1/4 as many pixels as the TV has. Instead of displaying this smaller picture in the middle of the screen, upscaling fills in the pixel-gaps, dispersing the image across the screen—yet the picture doesn't look stretched at allall. Personally I think it does an amazing job. The lower resolution content has a hard time on any upscale engine.
Mike.P likes this.

post #1560 of 2161 Old 06-04-2014, 07:44 AM

I'm with you, I can't get used to the curve. I don't think that 65" is big enough screen size where a curved screen is beneficial for home use.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post

. I almost gave in and bought the HU9000 but I watched it for about an hour and really found myself wishing it were flat.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55f9000 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65f9000 65 Inch 4k Ultra Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread