**Official** Samsung 4K UN55F9000, UN65F9000, and UN85S9 Thread - Page 63 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1861 of 2048 Old 07-19-2014, 01:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by INDY27 View Post
I was ready to pull the trigger and buy one of these but after reading this thread it seems like most of you are have problems....I mainly watch Dish HD and Blu Ray so why should I invest in this vs a good 1080 set?
People on this message board are much more likely to find problems with the set because they are educated and have an eye for detail. Your average buyer is never going to complain about minor light bleed, viewing angles, etc, but that is all you will find in a thread about the set. Complaints and questions are also much more likely to be posted than neutral/positives.

Overall, the set is excellent. My biggest complaint is minor light bleed, and white unevenness, but those are very minor and I have NEVER seen a thin bezel LED LCD set without light bleed. The unevenness is very minor, and is not noticeable most of the time.

As for reason to buy over a 1080 set, while it is true that the picture quality is very comparable to a 1080 set, so is the price now. There isn't much 4K content out now, but that could change in a year or two. If you plan on replacing the TV by then anyways, and you find a great deal on a 1080 set (under $1000), then by all means get a 1080 set. But if you want to future-proof your TV for a while, and want a top-of-the-line Samsung 4K set that isn't curved, then this is it.

The 4k upscaling does give you a better picture than 1080 on many sources. Usually they are movies that have been filmed in the past few years. Some content looks roughly the same as 1080, usually old TV shows filmed over a decade ago.
INDY27 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 2048 Old 07-19-2014, 05:25 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonwhiskey View Post
People on this message board are much more likely to find problems with the set because they are educated and have an eye for detail. Your average buyer is never going to complain about minor light bleed, viewing angles, etc, but that is all you will find in a thread about the set. Complaints and questions are also much more likely to be posted than neutral/positives.

Overall, the set is excellent. My biggest complaint is minor light bleed, and white unevenness, but those are very minor and I have NEVER seen a thin bezel LED LCD set without light bleed. The unevenness is very minor, and is not noticeable most of the time.

As for reason to buy over a 1080 set, while it is true that the picture quality is very comparable to a 1080 set, so is the price now. There isn't much 4K content out now, but that could change in a year or two. If you plan on replacing the TV by then anyways, and you find a great deal on a 1080 set (under $1000), then by all means get a 1080 set. But if you want to future-proof your TV for a while, and want a top-of-the-line Samsung 4K set that isn't curved, then this is it.

The 4k upscaling does give you a better picture than 1080 on many sources. Usually they are movies that have been filmed in the past few years. Some content looks roughly the same as 1080, usually old TV shows filmed over a decade ago.

Thanks for your input, the problems I noted were from the one connect box mainly....from Samsung's marketing one would think that the box that came with the set is all you would ever need but from what I have gathered in this thread most have had to purchase a new version....why is that?
post #1863 of 2048 Old 07-19-2014, 07:28 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 147
Quote:
Thanks for your input, the problems I noted were from the one connect box mainly....from Samsung's marketing one would think that the box that came with the set is all you would ever need but from what I have gathered in this thread most have had to purchase a new version....why is that?

F9000 with original one connect is not really a viable 4K display. New one connect provides HDMI 2.0 (final specs not even published until after F9000 production) which would be a requirement for inputting 4k/60 (4:4:4:, or 4:2:2) from an eventual 4K player or PC video cards with HDMI 2.0 output. Additionally, it has h.265 which is the 4K encoding scheme used by Netflix for 4K video (and probably eventually for most of their movies). Finally, it provides a much larger processor and new firmware. My experience is that the picture was improved significantly.

Personally, I feel the 2014 UHD Kit was the "biggest bang" for the money I've ever received with audio/video gear.
JSteel and sikclown like this.
post #1864 of 2048 Old 07-19-2014, 01:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 786 Post(s)
Liked: 296
^^^ Agreed. I loved my set with the 2013 one connect and , early adopter issues aside, the 2014 Kit has elevated this TV into the stratosphere.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1162.2
Denon AVR-X5200W, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
(1) SVS PB12-Plus, (1)Emotiva XPA-100, (1)XPA-200, (1)UPA-200,
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC,
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2)G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
post #1865 of 2048 Old 07-20-2014, 12:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Guys, long time reader, casual poster. I have no real reason to post until just now. I've had this tv for quite some time, but only recently run into some issues. If I have my tv on, and power it off, and again go to turn it on, recently I've had an issue where the unit doesn't power on. I originally thought it was the one connect over heating, but now even a full 12 hours later, the tv would not turn on.

The light under the samsung branding lights up, but that's it. I've found disconnecting the one connect, it then allows me to press the power button on the remote to get the light under the samsung branding to go off, and I re-connect the one connect box and press power on remote again, and I can sometimes, not always, get the tv back on. Now what's really tripping me out with this, is that I've done this procedure above a few times, but also added in pressing the camera above the tv in and out, and it seems to be working on and off with adding that into it. It's strange!!!

Has anyone come across this issue or have any idea what it could be??? Any help would be great.
post #1866 of 2048 Old 07-20-2014, 01:49 AM

Quote:
From what I have read, the standards for 4K connectivity had not been finalized when this set was being designed. Luckily, Samsung anticipated these kinds of problems and are the only company that I know of that offer evolution kit upgrades. I always laughed at the Evolution kit thing, wondering why anyone would spend more money to upgrade their TV. Well, now I know. You can now upgrade to whatever will be the new standards for connectivity without having to replace your entire set. Not only that, but your are putting a lot of heat generating components outside of the panel's body.

It only sounds like a bad deal in hindsight, knowing that there is a new One Connect box out now with HDMI 2.0.

I am willing to bet that if you wait it out, the 2014 SEK 2500U box will drop in price to the point where upgrading won't be that big a hit. Not only that, but your old 2013 box should be able to be sold once people are out of warranty and need replacements, thus offsetting some of the cost. Who knows, maybe the 2015 will offer something else we will all want. It's easy to see why Samsung's Evolution system actually is quite brilliant. Even I was a doubter/hater at first.

In sum, for now, and probably for the next 1.5-2 years, this set is going to be a 1080+ set (i.e. you are going to get the best 1080 set out there, plus some slightly above 1080 picture). When you do actually have some 4K content to watch, it will be the most amazing experience. I have had cars and women put a smile on my face before, but this is the first TV to do it. Even the 4K content on youtube will give you an awesome experience.

When 4K is offered with your cable provider and through other sources (netflix, etc.) more widely, this TV will really pay off. We don't know when it is going to happen, but when it hits critical mass, it will make the cost difference worth it imo.

But that will be different for everyone as value is relative. It's like the cardinal rule in Vegas: if this bet/purchase is going to make or break you, you should not be playing.
post #1867 of 2048 Old 07-20-2014, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonwhiskey View Post
From what I have read, the standards for 4K connectivity had not been finalized when this set was being designed. Luckily, Samsung anticipated these kinds of problems and are the only company that I know of that offer evolution kit upgrades. I always laughed at the Evolution kit thing, wondering why anyone would spend more money to upgrade their TV. Well, now I know. You can now upgrade to whatever will be the new standards for connectivity without having to replace your entire set. Not only that, but your are putting a lot of heat generating components outside of the panel's body.

It only sounds like a bad deal in hindsight, knowing that there is a new One Connect box out now with HDMI 2.0.

I am willing to bet that if you wait it out, the 2014 SEK 2500U box will drop in price to the point where upgrading won't be that big a hit. Not only that, but your old 2013 box should be able to be sold once people are out of warranty and need replacements, thus offsetting some of the cost. Who knows, maybe the 2015 will offer something else we will all want. It's easy to see why Samsung's Evolution system actually is quite brilliant. Even I was a doubter/hater at first.

In sum, for now, and probably for the next 1.5-2 years, this set is going to be a 1080+ set (i.e. you are going to get the best 1080 set out there, plus some slightly above 1080 picture). When you do actually have some 4K content to watch, it will be the most amazing experience. I have had cars and women put a smile on my face before, but this is the first TV to do it. Even the 4K content on youtube will give you an awesome experience.

When 4K is offered with your cable provider and through other sources (netflix, etc.) more widely, this TV will really pay off. We don't know when it is going to happen, but when it hits critical mass, it will make the cost difference worth it imo.

But that will be different for everyone as value is relative. It's like the cardinal rule in Vegas: if this bet/purchase is going to make or break you, you should not be playing.
Thanks for the info, the tv is for my lake house and the last thing I want is problematic set when spending time there on the weekends.
post #1868 of 2048 Old 07-21-2014, 02:37 AM

Anyone having problems with the TV dropping their wifi connection, and not being able to pick it up unless you turn the TV off/on or manually reconnect under wifi settings?

TV used to be fine (I could stream several movies without a problem). But now, it disconnects every 30 min or so.
post #1869 of 2048 Old 07-21-2014, 12:36 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
I am a new member here, but have visited this site plenty of times.

I have been looking into 4k TVs for quite some time and I have always been leaning towards Sony, even though I have been a long time Samsung owner.

However, I came across a great deal for the F9000 from an acquaintance. 1,200 for the tv or 1400 for the tv and sek2500u.

The Sony model I'm interested in is double that price. What has got me leaning toward Sony is the input lag. I heard it is over 60 ms on this unit. Although I am not all knowing of tech, I just know anything over 40ms is sketchy.

Have you guys noticed a decrease in input lag, with the firmware a or even new evolution kit? It's been a year since reviews of this unit, any change? Wouldn't an upgrade in the processor, lower lag?

Any information pertaining to this would be highly appreciated. I game 40% and watch netflix/tv 60% of the time, so the gaming aspect is very important to me.
post #1870 of 2048 Old 07-21-2014, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy422 View Post

I have been looking into 4k TVs for quite some time and I have always been leaning towards Sony, even though I have been a long time Samsung owner.

However, I came across a great deal for the F9000 from an acquaintance. 1,200 for the tv or 1400 for the tv and sek2500u.

The Sony model I'm interested in is double that price. What has got me leaning toward Sony is the input lag. I heard it is over 60 ms on this unit. Although I am not all knowing of tech, I just know anything over 40ms is sketchy.

Have you guys noticed a decrease in input lag, with the firmware a or even new evolution kit? It's been a year since reviews of this unit, any change? Wouldn't an upgrade in the processor, lower lag?

Any information pertaining to this would be highly appreciated. I game 40% and watch netflix/tv 60% of the time, so the gaming aspect is very important to me.
What size F9000 for that price? Regardless that is a great deal if the TV has no issues. What kind of gaming do you do? Console or PC? There are a lot of things you can do to reduce late but unless you are a Twitch gamer I doubt you would notice the lag. I play on my PS4 and Xbox One and don't notice any lag.

(2) Klipsch RF-82IIs, (2)RS-62IIs (4)RS-52IIs, (2)RS-42IIs, (1)RC-62ii, (2)RB-61IIs
post #1871 of 2048 Old 07-21-2014, 01:13 PM

I currently have a samsung d7000. It's a 55". He wants to upgrade to 65".

I'm primarily a console gamer. Ps4 and xbox one. That might change eventually. I don't know fully what twitch gamer means. I play FPS a lot but also other games.

How is, say battlefield, on this. And do you notice a more pop in colors from up scaling.

He had unit for 2 weeks but were not close buddies. Anything I should look for while purchasing from him. Any well known, easy to see, faults. He says there is 11 month warranty left, and I know samsung still honors it.

I bought a Samsung C7000 used, it broke and samsung replaced it.
post #1872 of 2048 Old 07-21-2014, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I currently have a samsung d7000. It's a 55". He wants to upgrade to 65".

I'm primarily a console gamer. Ps4 and xbox one. That might change eventually. I don't know fully what twitch gamer means. I play FPS a lot but also other games.

How is, say battlefield, on this. And do you notice a more pop in colors from up scaling.

He had unit for 2 weeks but were not close buddies. Anything I should look for while purchasing from him. Any well known, easy to see, faults. He says there is 11 month warranty left, and I know samsung still honors it.

I bought a Samsung C7000 used, it broke and samsung replaced it.
Sorry, this is what I mean by twitch gamer:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitch_gameplay

I don't play Battlefield but some of the other FPS games like Call of Duty play extremely well. I don't play FPS a lot though. I prefer games like Uncharted and Arkham.

post #1873 of 2048 Old 07-21-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
Sorry, this is what I mean by twitch gamer:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twitch_gameplay

I don't play Battlefield but some of the other FPS games like Call of Duty play extremely well. I don't play FPS a lot though. I prefer games like Uncharted and Arkham.
Thanks for being really helpfull. The pool of knowledge pertaining to this is very limited.

If COD runs good then I'm fine. Do you put it in game mode? Any graphical fidelity upgrades you've noticed.

I'm going to get this set tomorrow. It seems like an awesome deal. Anything I should look for in faults? I know people have had mixed results with installing the Evo kit, and he claims to have installed it already. How can I tell if it's installed without any kinks.
sikclown likes this.
post #1874 of 2048 Old 07-21-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks for being really helpfull. The pool of knowledge pertaining to this is very limited.

If COD runs good then I'm fine. Do you put it in game mode? Any graphical fidelity upgrades you've noticed.

I'm going to get this set tomorrow. It seems like an awesome deal. Anything I should look for in faults? I know people have had mixed results with installing the Evo kit, and he claims to have installed it already. How can I tell if it's installed without any kinks.
I do put it in Game mode sometimes (when i think about it). I don't notice a ton of difference in game play besides getting much brighter (game turns off all processing) and reducing black levels. Others change the HDMI Port name to PC which is supposed to reduce lag. Just turn the TV on and run it through its paces. Look for flickering, pixelating, etc. Try a couple different HDMI ports, etc.

post #1875 of 2048 Old 07-22-2014, 01:56 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 26
The input lag on the F9000 with SEK-2500 on the DVI PC input (game mode) is 79-80ms, measured with the Leo Bodnar input lag tester. The stock F9000 was around 60ms. I can't say I like it, being an avid BF4 player on the PS4, but I do have to live with it.
post #1876 of 2048 Old 07-22-2014, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pettern View Post
The input lag on the F9000 with SEK-2500 on the DVI PC input (game mode) is 79-80ms, measured with the Leo Bodnar input lag tester. The stock F9000 was around 60ms. I can't say I like it, being an avid BF4 player on the PS4, but I do have to live with it.
I'll gladly trade you my One Connect for the 2500U.
post #1877 of 2048 Old 07-22-2014, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Who measured this? When was it measured? What firmware was it on when measured? Link?

post #1878 of 2048 Old 07-22-2014, 07:09 AM

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Who measured this? When was it measured? What firmware was it on when measured? Link?
I measured it with my Leo Bodnar lag tester on firmware 1141.6 just 2 days ago. This is a bit more than the UN65HU9000 model has on http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/ so I will try to disable more processing and see if I can get it lower. When I tested the one connect 2013 box, I only used a video camera to record the laptop screen and the tv simultaneously, so the result is not that reliable. But I saw input lag of around 60ms then, give or take. I will also try with the latest 1150 firmware when I install it later.
post #1879 of 2048 Old 07-22-2014, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I measured it with my Leo Bodnar lag tester on firmware 1141.6 just 2 days ago. This is a bit more than the UN65HU9000 model has on http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/ so I will try to disable more processing and see if I can get it lower. When I tested the one connect 2013 box, I only used a video camera to record the laptop screen and the tv simultaneously, so the result is not that reliable. But I saw input lag of around 60ms then, give or take. I will also try with the latest 1150 firmware when I install it later.
Ok thanks for all the info. Keep us posted. I know input lag with the 2013 One Connect was measured at 56.5 by several sites so that falls in line with your original results. I honestly felt like the firmware and SEK-2500u installs have made my TV even better lag wise but I could have taken the blue pill on that one. Keep us posted.

post #1880 of 2048 Old 07-22-2014, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Quote:

I remember when early on 100ms was acceptable, but in the case of input lag smaller is always better. I owned the F9000 for a short time and had zero issue with gaming on the display. I played dead space, infamous:second son,destiny:alpha and had no issue with lag.
post #1881 of 2048 Old 07-22-2014, 02:22 PM

Got the tv today. Paid $1450 for the 55" and sek2500u. I'm blown away. Big improvement over my 46" d7000 series.

Tried going with cnet calibrations but didn't care for it much.

Put it on dynamic setting and went from there, looks great. More colors popping.

I like the Netflix 4k and look forward to rewatching breaking bad. The resolution is amazing. Got it about 6-7 feet away from where I sit. It's perfect.
post #1882 of 2048 Old 07-22-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Got the tv today. Paid $1450 for the 55" and sek2500u. I'm blown away. Big improvement over my 46" d7000 series.

Put it on dynamic setting and went from there, looks great. More colors popping.

I like the Netflix 4k and look forward to rewatching breaking bad. The resolution is amazing. Got it about 6-7 feet away from where I sit. It's perfect.
Where did you get that deal?
post #1883 of 2048 Old 07-22-2014, 03:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Congrats! Have you had time to play any games yet?

post #1884 of 2048 Old 07-22-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Congrats! Have you had time to play any games yet?
Thanks. I feel like I robbed the guy. He was an acquaintance and he wanted a 65" after 2 weeks of having it. He took the hit in order to sell it. Was selling for 1200 and was planning on returning the Sek2500u but I bought that for $250. So 1450$ all together.

I only played a few minutes of my ps4. Took a while to set tv up and get use to it.

I didn't notice any lag in the 5 minutes of killzone. I was to busy getting use to the bigger screen and gawking at just how much better it looked on my tv.

After doing research I realized my d700 Samsung was actually considered bad for lag too, and I never noticed it on that set either.

It was more paranoia then a anything else when worrying about lag. People overreact big time on the internet. I saw vids on YouTube of horrendous input lag and didn't want anything like that. Definitely not anywhere near as bad as YouTube videos showing bad input lag.
sikclown likes this.
post #1885 of 2048 Old 07-22-2014, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks. I feel like I robbed the guy. He was an acquaintance and he wanted a 65" after 2 weeks of having it. He took the hit in order to sell it. Was selling for 1200 and was planning on returning the Sek2500u but I bought that for $250. So 1450$ all together.

I only played a few minutes of my ps4. Took a while to set tv up and get use to it.

I didn't notice any lag in the 5 minutes of killzone. I was to busy getting use to the bigger screen and gawking at just how much better it looked on my tv.

After doing research I realized my d700 Samsung was actually considered bad for lag too, and I never noticed it on that set either.

It was more paranoia then a anything else when worrying about lag. People overreact big time on the internet. I saw vids on YouTube of horrendous input lag and didn't want anything like that. Definitely not anywhere near as bad as YouTube videos showing bad input lag.
Yeah people definitely freak out and blow it out of proportion. The only time I have ever seen lag so bad that I couldn't play a game was on my buddy's JVC projector.

post #1886 of 2048 Old 07-23-2014, 04:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions to my post that I left a few posts up??
post #1887 of 2048 Old 07-23-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
I was ready to pull the trigger and buy one of these but after reading this thread it seems like most of you are having issues....I mainly watch Dish HD and Blu Ray so why should I invest in this vs a good 1080 set?
I've had mine since late January and I have had no issues at all, the TV has been awesome. One thing to remember you will usually see a lot of problems/negative posts on forums as most times when people are issue free they don't bother posting anything. I also have the new One Connect Box and have had no issues at all with it or with the set up; although it was rather painful having it sit next to my TV for a little over 3 weeks before Samsung finally released the firmware for it
post #1888 of 2048 Old 07-23-2014, 11:20 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Hello,
I did the update. Result in 4K/50p the motionplus is blocked on standart, impossible to change the setting. Also I do not have the resolution that appears when I change source. I have One Connect 2.

Thank you very much and have a good day
post #1889 of 2048 Old 07-23-2014, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello to all:
just joined the forum and I have a question regarding the new evolution one connect for my UN55F9000. I had heard tht the new evolution kit would be SEK-2500V but all I see everywhere is the SEK-2500U. What is the correct evolution box then, or will there be more than one this year, is the 2500U the correct version for televisions in the US? the Samsung site is not very helpful. Hope to get some info ; can't wait to be able to stream 4k from netflix!
thanks
post #1890 of 2048 Old 07-23-2014, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt2612 View Post
Hello,
I did the update. Result in 4K/50p the motionplus is blocked on standart, impossible to change the setting. Also I do not have the resolution that appears when I change source. I have One Connect 2.

Thank you very much and have a good day
Hello, I'm new here. I just purchased 65f9000 and the old version one connect. After reading these post I ordered the newer one connect sek2500. would it be wise to wait to hook up TV to new 2500 when delivered and not even bother hook up to old one connect once my tv is delivered? Thank you
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55f9000 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65f9000 65 Inch 4k Ultra Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un55f9000 by PriceGrabber.com