**Official** Samsung 4K UN55F9000, UN65F9000, and UN85S9 Thread - Page 65 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1921 of 1934 Old 08-12-2014, 07:46 AM
Advanced Member
 
sikclown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert9674 View Post
Good question. I would like to know too. Anyone?
It controls the UHD Dimming and other software enhancements but it does not increase the CMR in so far as I know since CMR depends on Refresh Rate, Processor Speed, and Backlight technology. I think that third one is where the issue may lay as some of that is in the panel itself.
Bryscott likes this.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1151.4
Denon AVR-2313ci, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch F-30s, (2) Klipsch F-20s, (2) Klipsch S-20s, (1) Klipsch RC-62II
(2) Klipsch S-10s, (2) Klipsch B-20s, (1) Klipsch Sub-12HG
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2) Klipsch G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
sikclown is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #1922 of 1934 Old 08-12-2014, 07:19 PM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,079
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryscott View Post
Hello,
Can anyone tell me if the one connect box controls the clear motion rate (1200),pur color,micro dimming, UHD dimming or is those features built into the panels? I see the new line up of 9000 series UHDs has upgraded specs in these categories . Will we be getting those kind of upgrades in the SEK2500 with our 2013 model UN65F9000? 1440 CMR, UHD dimming, pur color, wide color enhancer plus, auto depth enhancer,instant on,etc.
I see the un65f9000 has a SLIM LED panel and the new models label the panel "UHD 4K LED" are these the same panels and just named different?
Thank you for any input.
I believe I have some answers. Clear motion rate is computed from I believe 3 factors, one is refresh rate of the panel, one is manner of backlighting, and the final one is processing power. The SEK 2500U provides a bigger processor, therefore you would expect it to provide a higher clear motion rate (although Samsung hasn't provided that data). Samsung does say that it provides UHD dimming and Cinema Black. They have said nothing about pur color, auto depth enhancer and despite the fact that I believe the UHD kit provides a better picture, better depth, etc., they have said nothing and I sure have no reason to know that they are included. Instant on definitely isn't included.
Bryscott likes this.
rlb is offline  
post #1923 of 1934 Old 08-18-2014, 09:44 PM
Newbie
 
pphx459's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

I was wondering if someone can help me with an issue that I didn't notice before. I have a slight but distracting white band that's about a 1/4" thick around the edges. I just recently upgraded to a sek2500 and updated to the latest firmware 1151 . I'm not sure if this was a problem before but I reset the tv to its factory settings to see if it would help and even used the original one connect box. The problem is still there. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do.

Here's a pic of what I am referring to. Thanks
http://flic.kr/p/oNf6Gn

Last edited by pphx459; 08-18-2014 at 10:13 PM.
pphx459 is offline  
post #1924 of 1934 Old 08-18-2014, 11:05 PM
Member
 
carbonwhiskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 73
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pphx459 View Post
Hello,

I was wondering if someone can help me with an issue that I didn't notice before. I have a slight but distracting white band that's about a 1/4" thick around the edges. I just recently upgraded to a sek2500 and updated to the latest firmware 1151 . I'm not sure if this was a problem before but I reset the tv to its factory settings to see if it would help and even used the original one connect box. The problem is still there. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do.

Here's a pic of what I am referring to. Thanks
http://flic.kr/p/oNf6Gn
That looks like backlight bleed. Is that representative of real-life, or does that photo highlight the issue?

All the sets I have seen exhibit some amount of backlight bleed (as have ALL thin bezel LED sets I have ever seen in my life). To reduce it, turn down your backlight and brightness settings. I have my backlight at 8 for movies in the dark room, and 10 regularly (9 is fine too). I turned brightness down to 43, and have been very happy with the results.

The factory settings (which you just reset to) have backlight and brightness way too high.

With my settings, the backlight bleed is imperceivable with the lights on, and barely perceivable with the lights off in the room.

My backlight bleed is also worst in the bottom-right corner. But yours looks different where it creeps up along the right edge and there is a circle of blackness that interrupts the bleed. So I am not sure if it is the same problem.
carbonwhiskey is offline  
post #1925 of 1934 Old 08-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Newbie
 
pphx459's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonwhiskey View Post
That looks like backlight bleed. Is that representative of real-life, or does that photo highlight the issue?

All the sets I have seen exhibit some amount of backlight bleed (as have ALL thin bezel LED sets I have ever seen in my life). To reduce it, turn down your backlight and brightness settings. I have my backlight at 8 for movies in the dark room, and 10 regularly (9 is fine too). I turned brightness down to 43, and have been very happy with the results.

The factory settings (which you just reset to) have backlight and brightness way too high.

With my settings, the backlight bleed is imperceivable with the lights on, and barely perceivable with the lights off in the room.

My backlight bleed is also worst in the bottom-right corner. But yours looks different where it creeps up along the right edge and there is a circle of blackness that interrupts the bleed. So I am not sure if it is the same problem.
Backlight is at 7 and brightness is set as 45. Sorry for the poor iphone pic. What I am trying to illustrate is the small white band that is lined up with the bezel, it's basically all around the tv. I've never seen this with backlight bleeding, it's usually not uniform like this, so I'm wondering exactly what this is and if had anything to do with firmware. In the daytime this isn't noticeable but at night, in a dark room, it gets a little distracting with a white glow all around the edges of the picture.
pphx459 is offline  
post #1926 of 1934 Old Yesterday, 01:24 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
I believe I have some answers. Samsung does say that it provides UHD dimming and Cinema Black. They have said nothing about pur color, auto depth enhancer and despite the fact that I believe the UHD kit provides a better picture, better depth, etc., they have said nothing and I sure have no reason to know that they are included.
Here is the documentation for SEK-2500 evolution box, can you find answers there?
http://www.samsung.com/ae/support/mo.../XC-downloads#
Fredrik Lundholm is offline  
post #1927 of 1934 Old Yesterday, 06:52 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,079
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik Lundholm View Post
Here is the documentation for SEK-2500 evolution box, can you find answers there?
http://www.samsung.com/ae/support/mo.../XC-downloads#

Thanks, but for some reason I get nothing but "This page can't be displayed". Hopefully, Samsung will eventually make it available.
rlb is offline  
post #1928 of 1934 Old Yesterday, 09:18 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I just purchased the UN55F9000 and love it. I bought it as an open box deal from HH Gregg. I love the picture and the quality, however I cannot figure out how to play 4k content. Reading this thread it appears that I need to buy the SEK-2500U evolution kit. I have two questions:

1. Should I buy the evolution kit or should I wait a little longer for a newer one to become available?

2. I have a Galaxy S5 and have UHD videos. I have tried everything to get my TV to play those videos. I keep getting the error that my 4k "TV does not support 3840x2160 Screen Resolution". I have tried to stream through allshare, play direct from my pc via hdmi, play direct from usb, convert using DivX to HEVC 4k and then repeated the above steps. Nothing will allow my videos to be played.


Is the only way to get the videos to be played is to buy the evolution kit? What can my TV do in regards to 4k without the evolution kit?
jimbean120 is offline  
post #1929 of 1934 Old Yesterday, 09:28 AM
Advanced Member
 
sikclown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbean120 View Post
I just purchased the UN55F9000 and love it. I bought it as an open box deal from HH Gregg. I love the picture and the quality, however I cannot figure out how to play 4k content. Reading this thread it appears that I need to buy the SEK-2500U evolution kit. I have two questions:

1. Should I buy the evolution kit or should I wait a little longer for a newer one to become available?

2. I have a Galaxy S5 and have UHD videos. I have tried everything to get my TV to play those videos. I keep getting the error that my 4k "TV does not support 3840x2160 Screen Resolution". I have tried to stream through allshare, play direct from my pc via hdmi, play direct from usb, convert using DivX to HEVC 4k and then repeated the above steps. Nothing will allow my videos to be played.


Is the only way to get the videos to be played is to buy the evolution kit? What can my TV do in regards to 4k without the evolution kit?
You will need the 2014 UHD Evolution kit to play any HEVC encoded 4k files. I would buy one now, unless you want to wait until Summer of next year for the 2015 kit (I am guessing on the timeline based on this year's release).

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1151.4
Denon AVR-2313ci, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch F-30s, (2) Klipsch F-20s, (2) Klipsch S-20s, (1) Klipsch RC-62II
(2) Klipsch S-10s, (2) Klipsch B-20s, (1) Klipsch Sub-12HG
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2) Klipsch G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
sikclown is online now  
post #1930 of 1934 Old Yesterday, 09:38 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by sikclown View Post
You will need the 2014 UHD Evolution kit to play any HEVC encoded 4k files. I would buy one now, unless you want to wait until Summer of next year for the 2015 kit (I am guessing on the timeline based on this year's release).
Thanks. Is there any information on what the 2015 may feature?
jimbean120 is offline  
post #1931 of 1934 Old Yesterday, 10:37 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlb View Post
Thanks, but for some reason I get nothing but "This page can't be displayed". Hopefully, Samsung will eventually make it available.
It works for me, but does this link work better for you?
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...1.111-0627.pdf
Fredrik Lundholm is offline  
post #1932 of 1934 Old Yesterday, 10:52 AM
Advanced Member
 
sikclown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 909
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbean120 View Post
Thanks. Is there any information on what the 2015 may feature?
Nope. We can only speculate that it will include an improved processor, new SmartHub software, and any HDMI 2.0/HDCP 2.2 hardware changes if any.

UN65F9000AFXZA + SEK2500U/ZA firmware version 1151.4
Denon AVR-2313ci, Apple TV, Sony BDP-S6200, PS4, Xbox One
(2) Klipsch F-30s, (2) Klipsch F-20s, (2) Klipsch S-20s, (1) Klipsch RC-62II
(2) Klipsch S-10s, (2) Klipsch B-20s, (1) Klipsch Sub-12HG
UN55HU8550, AVR-S900W, Ceton Echo, Apple TV, Panny BDT460, PC
(1)Klipsch G-42, (2) Klipsch G-16s, (2) Bose 161, (1)BIC Acoustech PL-200
sikclown is online now  
post #1933 of 1934 Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM
Newbie
 
PRgymnast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
PRgymnast is offline  
post #1934 of 1934 Old Today, 06:41 AM
rlb
AVS Special Member
 
rlb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: North Royalton, OH
Posts: 3,079
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik Lundholm View Post
It works for me, but does this link work better for you?
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/co...0728112348182/[ENG]GP9DVBEUH-1.111-0627.pdf

Yes. Thanks!
rlb is offline  
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55f9000 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd Led Hdtv , Samsung Un65f9000 65 Inch 4k Ultra Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread - Un55f9000 by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off