AVS Forum

AVS Forum (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/)
-   LCD Flat Panel Displays (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/)
-   -   **Official** Samsung 4K UN55F9000, UN65F9000, and UN85S9 Thread (http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/1500304-official-samsung-4k-un55f9000-un65f9000-un85s9-thread.html)

JSteel 11-18-2013 11:01 AM

Just though to start this since we did not have one unless someone can change the name of the other Samsung 4K Thread.

pokekevin 11-18-2013 11:54 AM

Been away for awhile so haven't kept up to date but are these sets confirmed to be full array with local dimming or "micro dimming"?

Thanks!

JSteel 11-18-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokekevin View Post

Been away for awhile so haven't kept up to date but are these sets confirmed to be full array with local dimming or "micro dimming"?

Thanks!

The UN55F9000 and the UN65F9000 models are Edge-Lit with micro-dimming ultimate and the UN85S9 is full-array and cost $40,000.

krakon 11-21-2013 08:24 AM

I have the UN55F9000 TV and a Yamaha RX-V673 receiver.  This receiver has 4K pass through and upscaling.  The best resolution I can get from the receiver is 1080p for WDTV Live Hub, Samsung Blu-ray 7500 and Xbox 360 and 1080i for cable box.  All are connected via HDMI and the HDMI out is connected to the TV via One Connect.

I was able to turn on ARC and HDMI control via the receiver and Anynet+ on the TV.  According to Best Buy this is what needed to be done to enable the 4K pass through and upscaling.  I purchased a Monster Black Platinum series cable to the HDMI out port and the ARC port on the TV thinking that my cheap HDMI cable didn't have the bandwidth for 4K but still only getting 1080p for the highest resolution.

I connected the Blu-ray player directly to the One Connect and I am able to get a 4K connection so I didn't feel like it was a complete waste.

The TV "sees" the receiver as a RX-V671, which does not support 4K, and I believe this is the problem.  This TV is so new I don't know how much community support is out there but figured I would post here for some suggestions.  The response from Yamaha is it is a Samsung issue (which I am leaning towards) but I haven't had a chance to contact Samsung yet.  I also turned off mon chk on the receiver as recommended by Yamaha support but this didn't help.

JSteel 11-21-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krakon View Post

I have the UN55F9000 TV and a Yamaha RX-V673 receiver.  This receiver has 4K pass through and upscaling.  The best resolution I can get from the receiver is 1080p for WDTV Live Hub, Samsung Blu-ray 7500 and Xbox 360 and 1080i for cable box.  All are connected via HDMI and the HDMI out is connected to the TV via One Connect.

I was able to turn on ARC and HDMI control via the receiver and Anynet+ on the TV.  According to Best Buy this is what needed to be done to enable the 4K pass through and upscaling.  I purchased a Monster Black Platinum series cable to the HDMI out port and the ARC port on the TV thinking that my cheap HDMI cable didn't have the bandwidth for 4K but still only getting 1080p for the highest resolution.

I connected the Blu-ray player directly to the One Connect and I am able to get a 4K connection so I didn't feel like it was a complete waste.

The TV "sees" the receiver as a RX-V671, which does not support 4K, and I believe this is the problem.  This TV is so new I don't know how much community support is out there but figured I would post here for some suggestions.  The response from Yamaha is it is a Samsung issue (which I am leaning towards) but I haven't had a chance to contact Samsung yet.  I also turned off mon chk on the receiver as recommended by Yamaha support but this didn't help.

I would think that is an issue with the receiver as it is telling the TV what it is. I would direct this question as well in the Yamaha thread for your receiver. Just to also let you know, the F9000 has it's own upscaling processor and upscales 1080p to 4k. It is better to let the TV upscale as Samsung did a good job in this area.

krakon 11-21-2013 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSteel View Post

I would think that is an issue with the receiver as it is telling the TV what it is. I would direct this question as well in the Yamaha thread for your receiver. Just to also let you know, the F9000 has it's own upscaling processor and upscales 1080p to 4k. It is better to let the TV upscale as Samsung did a good job in this area.

I tried this option too and this is actually how I left the setup over the weekend.  All devices but the Xbox 360(least used) are connected to the One Connect with the HDMI out from the receiver to ARC port on the TV.  Is it possible that is it upscaling but not displaying the 4K resolution on the screen?

I will post in the Yamaha forum as well.

Thank you. 

mjban 11-21-2013 11:39 AM

Anyone knows if the Mac Mini 2012 (the latest) support 4K through DisplayPort/Thunderbolt?
I'm planning on buying this TV for my Media Center using XBMC and Plex. Actually I'm swapping the UN65F8000 for the UN65F9000.

dsinger 11-21-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

I tried this option too and this is actually how I left the setup over the weekend.  All devices but the Xbox 360(least used) are connected to the One Connect with the HDMI out from the receiver to ARC port on the TV.  Is it possible that is it upscaling but not displaying the 4K resolution on the screen?

I will post in the Yamaha forum as well.

Thank you. 

LCDs are whats known as fixed pixel displays. Everything that is sent to the TV is scaled to it's native resolution. In this case 3820x2160. Only exception is if the signal (scaled or not) is 3820x2160 to begin with. So if the picture looks bad it's the source and/or the sets scaling capability.

flyguyjake 11-21-2013 11:13 PM

I'm totally loving my new 65F9000! I can't believe how crystal clear the image is and very inky blacks. I'm coming from an es8000 which this series was plagued with panel problems, so this new tv is a blessing! Samsung also is the ONLY 4k manufacture that has upgrade-ability with the one connect box. So far I'm very pleased with the panel. I do not see any dead pixels, clouding, flashlighting etc.

As you may know, we're limited right now to 4k30Hz until HDMI 2.0 60Hz shows up in blu-ray players, graphics cards and the one connect box. That is when this TV will really shine.

It would really kick ass if Apple would offer 4k in the new Apple TV box with 4k movie streaming from itunes. dreaming rolleyes.gif

flyguyjake 11-21-2013 11:15 PM

Here are the UN65F9000 picture settings I used;

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-603993/samsung-un65f9000-picture-settings/

LED Clear motion didn't show any visible difference in blur between Off and On. I decided to turn it off because On reduced light output slightly--although not nearly as much as on past Samsung TVs.

--Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Backlight: 7
Contrast: 92
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50

Picture Size submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit
Position: [no change]

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]

3D submenu: N/A

PIP: N/A

Advanced settings submenu:
Dynamic contrast: Off
Black tone: Off
Flesh tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Custom
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Gamma: +1
Expert Pattern: Off
Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]
Black Enhancer: Off

Color Space submenu:
Color Space: Custom
Red: Red 47, Green 0, Blue 4
Green: Red 0, Green 50, Blue 16
Blue: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 50
Yellow: Red 50, Green 48, Blue 14
Cyan: Red 0, Green 50, Blue 50
Magenta: Red 52, Green 0, Blue 48

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 25
G-Offset: 24
B-Offset: 22
R-Gain: 23
G-Gain: 24
B-Gain: 26

10p White Balance submenu:
Interval 1: Red -1, Green -1, Blue -1
Interval 2: Red +2, Green +3, Blue +2
Interval 3: Red +1, Green +2, Blue +2
Interval 4: Red +1, Green 0, Blue +2
Interval 5: Red -1, Green -1, Blue +2
Interval 6: Red +1, Green +2, Blue +4
Interval 7: Red -1, Green 0, Blue 0
Interval 8: Red +4, Green 0, Blue +2
Interval 9: Red +5, Green 0, Blue +3
Interval 10: Red +8, Green 0, Blue +8

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm1
Digital Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Auto 1
Auto Motion Plus: Custom
Smart LED: High
Cinema Black: On

Auto Motion Plus submenu:
Blur reduction: 10
Judder reduction: 0
LED Clear Motion: Off

-- System menu
Eco Solution submenu:
Energy Saving: Off
Eco Sensor: Off

JSteel 11-22-2013 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyjake View Post

Here are the UN65F9000 picture settings I used;

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-19410_102-603993/samsung-un65f9000-picture-settings/

LED Clear motion didn't show any visible difference in blur between Off and On. I decided to turn it off because On reduced light output slightly--although not nearly as much as on past Samsung TVs.

--Picture menu
Mode: Movie
Backlight: 7
Contrast: 92
Brightness: 45
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50

Picture Size submenu:
Picture Size: Screen Fit
Position: [no change]

Auto Adjustment submenu: [Grayed out]

3D submenu: N/A

PIP: N/A

Advanced settings submenu:
Dynamic contrast: Off
Black tone: Off
Flesh tone: 0
RGB Only Mode: Off
Color space: Custom
White Balance: [see below]
10p White Balance: On
Gamma: +1
Expert Pattern: Off
Motion Lighting: Off [grayed out]
Black Enhancer: Off

Color Space submenu:
Color Space: Custom
Red: Red 47, Green 0, Blue 4
Green: Red 0, Green 50, Blue 16
Blue: Red 0, Green 0, Blue 50
Yellow: Red 50, Green 48, Blue 14
Cyan: Red 0, Green 50, Blue 50
Magenta: Red 52, Green 0, Blue 48

White balance submenu:
R-Offset: 25
G-Offset: 24
B-Offset: 22
R-Gain: 23
G-Gain: 24
B-Gain: 26

10p White Balance submenu:
Interval 1: Red -1, Green -1, Blue -1
Interval 2: Red +2, Green +3, Blue +2
Interval 3: Red +1, Green +2, Blue +2
Interval 4: Red +1, Green 0, Blue +2
Interval 5: Red -1, Green -1, Blue +2
Interval 6: Red +1, Green +2, Blue +4
Interval 7: Red -1, Green 0, Blue 0
Interval 8: Red +4, Green 0, Blue +2
Interval 9: Red +5, Green 0, Blue +3
Interval 10: Red +8, Green 0, Blue +8

Picture options submenu
Color tone: Warm1
Digital Clean View: Off
MPEG Noise Filter: Off
HDMI black level: Normal [grayed out]
Film mode: Auto 1
Auto Motion Plus: Custom
Smart LED: High
Cinema Black: On

Auto Motion Plus submenu:
Blur reduction: 10
Judder reduction: 0
LED Clear Motion: Off

-- System menu
Eco Solution submenu:
Energy Saving: Off
Eco Sensor: Off

These are the settings that I am currently using and they work really good! I tweaked it here and there to my liking but 90 percent of these settings worked for me.

TKS64 11-23-2013 05:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
20131120_194109.jpg 796k .jpg file

TKS64 11-23-2013 05:52 AM

New at his, first pic didnt show. Retrying.
Just got my UE65F9005STXXE. Sold my ES8000.

JSteel 11-23-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKS64 View Post

New at his, first pic didnt show. Retrying.
Just got my UE65F9005STXXE. Sold my ES8000.

Congrats!! It is an amazing TV!! I can't wait for the next One-Connect box to come out next year with faster processing and 60Hz! This TV does not get any better future proof wise!

djbboy 11-23-2013 04:38 PM

Just bought the 65" version of this tv. Loving it so far. Just wondering if there was anyone else that had some settings they could post like the ones above? Would love to test a few out that others have been happy with

AccordTR 11-23-2013 05:41 PM

Was extremely disappointed to find out I can't get the free hard drive of UHD content I guess. Looks like USA only, sucks living in Canada sometimes.

Once someone receives their hard drive, would anyone be willing to buy a cheap drive and copy the materials and mail it to me??? I would gladly paypal you the cost of the drive and shipping

upstate-avfan-da 11-24-2013 04:29 PM

Just went to BB and had my heart set on UN65F8000. Walked out the door having ordered an UN55F9000 (replacing my UN55D8000). I was really impressed with the set, if 4K content becomes more readily available I am excited. I noticed a huge increase in PQ compared to 1080p. Also didnt see any flashlighting when a black screen with the Samsung logo came up in the middle, looks much better panel compared to the D series. My wife is kind of pissed lol but now I can hopefully end my 2 yr upgrade cycle and we will have this set for at least 4 :-) Cool to also get a link to claim the free 500gb hdd from samsung. BB did have a good deal, if anyone is curious please PM me and I will give you the run down on the pricing and add ons.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Latinoheat 11-24-2013 05:17 PM

I finally saw this 4K panel this weekend and with the 4K samsung loop playing and I was very impressed, as It should be with UHD content. I wish I could of seeing it playing regular HD content to judge how it performs. Very nice panel, very pricey as well.

upstate-avfan-da 11-24-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinoheat View Post

I finally saw this 4K panel this weekend and with the 4K samsung loop playing and I was very impressed, as It should be with UHD content. I wish I could of seeing it playing regular HD content to judge how it performs. Very nice panel, very pricey as well.

Not so pricey, unless you're looking at 65". I think 1080p will look maybe marginally better but I figure if the 4k looked that good then it must process regular HD really well. But biggest factor for me is an LED panel with least uniformity issues which this seems to have.

Latinoheat 11-24-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate-avfan-da View Post

Not so pricey, unless you're looking at 65". I think 1080p will look maybe marginally better but I figure if the 4k looked that good then it must process regular HD really well. But biggest factor for me is an LED panel with least uniformity issues which this seems to have.

Yeah in the US it's more affordable, here in Canada they always charge you an arm and a leg.

AccordTR 11-24-2013 07:24 PM

I actually got a hell of a deal at visions up here in Winnipeg, Canada on the 65er.

upstate-avfan-da 11-24-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccordTR View Post

I actually got a hell of a deal at visions up here in Winnipeg, Canada on the 65er.

Oh man what I would've done to get the 65" instead lol.

How are you enjoying yours? I am bummed at sony having the strangle hold on 4k movies, maybe this price drop from samsung will boost the adoption rate. Then we may start to see more native 4k content that's worth watching.

I am hoping the upscale wont disappoint.

djbboy 11-24-2013 09:40 PM

Have any of you who own the tv, plugged any of the next gen consoles into it yet ??

AccordTR 11-25-2013 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbboy View Post

Have any of you who own the tv, plugged any of the next gen consoles into it yet ??

Ps4 in mine

AccordTR 11-25-2013 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstate-avfan-da View Post

Oh man what I would've done to get the 65" instead lol.

How are you enjoying yours? I am bummed at sony having the strangle hold on 4k movies, maybe this price drop from samsung will boost the adoption rate. Then we may start to see more native 4k content that's worth watching.

I am hoping the upscale wont disappoint.

I actually got the 65 for less than the 55 so I jumped on it before they changed their mind. So far I love it. Hd cable feed and bluray look great. Avatar 3d steals the show.... Looks insane. I do wish I could get some 4k demo stuff thou.

djbboy 11-25-2013 05:12 AM

Quote:

Ps4 in mine

How's it look? I don't know if you can compare but do you notice any differences to it on this tv compared to a 1080p set ??

AccordTR 11-25-2013 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbboy View Post

How's it look? I don't know if you can compare but do you notice any differences to it on this tv compared to a 1080p set ??

I went from a 55 sony nx720, which had excellent PQ to begin with. I would say the Sammy does look better playing BF4 on the PS4 thou. It's hard to really give feedback thou as BF4 is completely broken and barely runs on the PS4, so my playtime is min

usbcoo1452 11-25-2013 07:26 AM

Quote:

AdMfwx

If the picture looks bad it's the source you could never get the 4K resolution on the screen.

djbboy 11-25-2013 07:44 AM

Quote:

I went from a 55 sony nx720, which had excellent PQ to begin with. I would say the Sammy does look better playing BF4 on the PS4 thou. It's hard to really give feedback thou as BF4 is completely broken and barely runs on the PS4, so my playtime is min

Haha yeah I've heard that it's not going so well. I went from another Samsung to the 65" and I guess I must of had my expectations set really high, cause I feel as if the unit doing 1080p doesn't look as good as my precious tv did. I think it's the whole setting my expectations much higher that it should that's probably killing it for me atm but I'm just finding the quality to be not as good especially with gaming.

AccordTR 11-26-2013 07:38 PM

Just plugged in the cnet settings, wow that made a huge difference! I just turned up the backlight a few, as I found it a little dark.

If anyone is using the tv speakers, could you post your settings??? I use just the tv speakers for cable tv as my wife isn't handy with the pioneer receiver. Games and movies get full 7.1 thou from me!