Any consensus on the best brand of 4K TV currently available? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-18-2013, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was in Japan a few weeks ago and had the opportunity to see several 4K TVs side by side playing the same content in some Japanese electrons stores.

Now admittedly, they all looked great but I was shocked to see that the Toshiba models looked the best. For what ever reason the picture was more appealing to my eyes. Maybe deeper blacks, denser color.

Sony was a very close 2nd.

Has anyone had experience with the Toshiba 4K - good or bad?

And now that so many manufacturers (Sony, Samsung, Toshiba, Sharp, etc) have released 4K TVs has any consensus developed over the best one?

Thanks for any replies. We're looking at maybe getting a 65" 4K for Christmas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-18-2013, 03:10 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 37
I don't think you will get a major consensus on the best one, they all have their advantages/disadvantages, it's better for you to decide what is important to you. I too have been trying to decide on which one to get, but there is no clear winner based on my needs. Based on reading these forums over the last several weeks, the Sony X900 models seem to be the most popular. Here are my notes I've collected with my opinion of what the advantages/disadvantages are after researching most of them over a several week period:

Sony X900A:
Advantages:
- Great wow factor, shiny glass look adds to it.
- Passive 3D (I far prefer it over active shutter glasses). Very impressive 3D on the 65”, best I’ve seen to date.
- Sony promised HDMI 2.0 via firmware upgrade.
- Can get media player for free (with 65” model) that has access to 4k movies (although they are overpriced for a not so great collection)
- really good upscaling capability
Disadvantages:
- Attached speakers that are not removable - for some this is a plus since they are high quality, i don’t want them and they add a lot of bulk if you want a small frame and have size constraints in your space.
- 55” model is actually 540p per eye when viewing 3D. No problem with 65”.
- No 4k movie playback through USB/network.
- No 4k picture viewing either via USB/network (shows in 1080p, major minus IMO, what were they thinking??)
- Native YouTube app on TV doesn’t play 4k videos (in 4k)
- HDMI 2.0 upgrade not entirely clear what it will add other than 2160p60, will it add the extra color depth support?, probably not.
- USB 2.0 not 3.0 - makes a big diff for connected media speeds
- edge lit, not full array local dimming - although it’s performance looks pretty good for a non-FALD set to me
- no Skype camera, expensive Sony USB option only

Sony X850A
Advantages:
- cheaper than 900 model
- no side attached speakers that add bulk
- people have claimed its colors are more accurate, I could not discern much difference in my non-scientific viewing
Disadvantages:
- most of the same ones as X900 except the 3D being 540p one and the speaker issue, plus:
- doesn’t have same pop/wow factor to it as X900
- Active 3D - why Sony??? on a 4k set passive is the way to go IMO.
- no Skype camera

Panasonic TC-L65WT600
Advantages:
- HDMI 2.0 with full 18Gbps bandwidth for better color, etc etc
- supports 2160p60 for gaming now
- 4k playback through USB/network
- built in 4k apps: YouTube, web browser, media player
- USB 3.0
- thin bezel, no wasted room with speakers etc
- Skype camera
Disadvantages:
- Price, most other manufacturers have done major reductions in price, not Panny, and this set is only at Best Buy right now, but should be elsewhere soon too
- Several vertical bands in the image, noticed by pretty much everyone who has owned or seen one, including myself
- edge lit, not full array local dimming

Samsung F9000 series:
Advantages:
- better price
- impressive colors
- slim bezel
- future proof with upgradeability via evolution kit - external box for connections that you can upgrade later
- Skype camera
Disadvantages:
- unknown cost for upgrade to HDMI 2.0
- Active 3D
- No 4k movie playback through USB/network (Yes through USB via a hack that users discovered — doesn’t count for me)
- 4k picture viewing? - I don’t know
- Native YouTube app on TV doesn’t play 4k videos
- USB 2.0

LG LA9700 series (have not seen in person - can’t find one locally):
Advantages:
- impressive colors
- slim bezel
- sliding motorized speaker which hides behind panel - neat but I would do away with it for cheaper cost
- full array local dimming - better black levels than sony/samsung (in theory, I haven’t tested this but some reviews claim it’s better, although slight).
- Passive 3D
- 4k movie/photo playback via USB
- USB 3.0
- Skype camera
Disadvantages:
- expensive compared to other sets
- unknown upgrade path to HDMI 2.0 - LG has just said they are looking into a solution
- apparently bad off center viewing angles, surprising for IPS panel - from trustedreviews.com review, not verified by me

LG LA9650 series:
Same as 9700 except no full array local dimming (so cheaper too), have not seen in person either so can’t speak for difference between sets

Toshiba series (have not seen, limited resources available when searching for info):
Advantages:
- Cheap compared to other big manufacturers
Disadvantages:
- thicker/uglier bezel than other brands IMO
- unknown upgrade path to HDMI 2.0
- Active 3D
Unknown:
- 4k movie/photo playback via USB/network ?
- upscaling performance ?
- black levels compared to Sony/Samsung?
- Skype camera?

Seiki/HiSense:
All I will say is they are dirt cheap, especially with Black Friday pricing. Other than that they have no advantages over any of the other brands.

I may have some wrong information on some of the sets, anyone please correct me if so…

hope that helps somewhat…
post #3 of 7 Old 11-19-2013, 05:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for your reply. Looks like you've really done your homework.

My tendency has been to go for the Sony, based on what I've seen, and also what I've read here.

That's why I was a little shocked when Toshiba appeared to have the best picture while I was in Japan.

It got me thinking that maybe I didn't have all the info I needed.

A-n-n-nywho, AVSForum is such a great resource, I thought maybe a general consensus had developed.

Anybody have experience with the Sharp 4K?
post #4 of 7 Old 11-20-2013, 09:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 112
The Sharp 4K has been getting mediocre reviews.They took out the MothEye screen for the US model. Also, they have no announced HDMI 2.0 solution. The best thing to do would be to wait until you see what is announced at CES this year and what new models you can by a few months later. I am not sure, but I think that Sony has only one HDMI 2.0 port. All ports should by HDMI 2.0 soon. Everyone will have a whole line of 4K displays soon.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-20-2013, 01:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 55
^ In addition to CES or hopefully at the same time, look at the 4k Blu-ray spec when released. I expect a significant increase in color gamut (i.e. 10 bit Rec 2020) and would want to make sure any 4k TV I purchased could meet the new BD spec. Slightly educated guess is few if any 2014 sets will be able to do so if Rec 2020.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-20-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 293
I doubt we will see the Rec 2020 colorspace in the new if it ever comes 4K Bluray standard. I think the best we will see is xvYcc

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #7 of 7 Old 11-20-2013, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 37
You're probably right, I remember when xvYcc was being hyped as a supported feature in TVs, bluray players, etc...but I believe only Sony's latest blurays that are mastered in 4K actually support it, so many years later.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Xbr 55x900a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led Tv , Sony Xbr65x850a 65 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led , Sony Xbr55x850a 55 Inch 4k Ultra Hd 3d Led , Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv , Lg Electronics 65la9650 65 Inch 1080p 4k Ultra Hd 240hz 3d Led Tv , Seiki , Hisense
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page