System Help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 11-19-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I am contemplating purchase of a Samsung 60". Probably an F7100. My first question is... would this be a good choice in TV's? My room is bright with lots of windows, so I want to go LED this time. My viewing distances are 10' to 15', depending on the seat. I'd love to have the extra features of the F7500, but the prices on the F7100 are just too attractive and I can't justify the $900 price difference. Or should I step down to the 6400 and go with a 65"??

My next question is, what do I need to have a modern and up-to-date system? I'd like to be able to play music from my ITunes library wirelessly from my Ipod or Iphone. And from the online radio services. And watch TV and movies. Maybe some YouTube videos on the TV. So nothing complicated. I bought a Yamaha RX-V573 in the spring, but haven't even hooked it up yet. It's still sitting in the box. I want to try watching some 3D movies, so I'm assuming that means I need to buy a 3D capable BluRay player. I also may buy a sub to go with the downstairs system (my system is upstairs, and not what I'm talking about here). I do not have a computer close to my home theatre area, so I assume that means I need to use WiFi to send music/videos/etc. from the computer to the AVR. Is there any difference in the sound quality of music via WiFi vs an Ethernet cable? I have to buy a laptop for my daughter soon, so I was thinking I may buy one with a large hard drive and use that as a 'home theatre PC'. But it would not be kept close to the TV, so an Ethernet cable is still a no go.

I don't do any gaming at all, but we do have a Wii my daughter used to use. It's probably 3-4 years old. I have a current Tivo that we have not yet used. I have some dated components that consist of:

DVD player
Cassette player
VCR
Speaker distribution box
Satellite TV box (no longer used... we use cable now)

Since the Blu Ray player will play DVD's, I'll probably trash the DVD player. And the cassette player. I may keep the VCR and hook it up. And I need the speaker distribution box.

So are there other things a modern home theatre system should have? I have thought about a Roku 3 box. But I probably wouldn't use it much, if any. I know there are tons of various setups out there. I'm just wondering if there is anything I am missing here. I only update my systems every few years, so would like to be sure I am ' future proofing' at least a little bit.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un60f7100 60 Inch 3d Ultra Slim Smart Led Hdtv , Yamaha Rx V573 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page