Official LG 60LN5600 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 28 Old 11-20-2013, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Does anyone own or have any information on this sub 1K LG 60" LED Smart TV? I am considering it for our bedroom but, as it is a fairly new model, I'm having difficulty finding much info on it. We will be using it for Netflix and regular TV watching only (no gaming so 120Hz is not an issue). I am particularly interested in any uniformity issues (bleeding, cloudiness, etc).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-21-2013, 04:54 PM

I found your post last night while i was looking for reviews so...

I replaced an $1800 panasonic led because of backlight bleed with a $1700 sharp aquos 2 days ago. The sharp had less bleed but still clouding so I returned it today and took a chance on the LG and Omg Im glad i did. This thing is AMAZING.

Its direct led so no bleeding or clouding at all. When I say none I mean absolutely zero. The led's are behind the screen not on the edge so uniformity is perfect. The colors are incredible and the blacks are as rich as my panasonic plasma.

If you want anymore info let me know because theres no reviews online about this tv but Im absolutely blown away at the picture.
post #3 of 28 Old 11-21-2013, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Exciting stuff! What Sharp and Panasonic LED did you compare it to? What's your Panasonic plasma? What are the viewing angles like? This might be my next TV.

EDIT: How much did you pay and where did you get it from?
post #4 of 28 Old 11-21-2013, 05:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzfan61 View Post

I found your post last night while i was looking for reviews so...

I replaced an $1800 panasonic led because of backlight bleed with a $1700 sharp aquos 2 days ago. The sharp had less bleed but still clouding so I returned it today and took a chance on the LG and Omg Im glad i did. This thing is AMAZING.

Its direct led so no bleeding or clouding at all. When I say none I mean absolutely zero. The led's are behind the screen not on the edge so uniformity is perfect. The colors are incredible and the blacks are as rich as my panasonic plasma.

If you want anymore info let me know because theres no reviews online about this tv but Im absolutely blown away at the picture.

Thanks for your enthusiastic response.
post #5 of 28 Old 11-21-2013, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxsfan View Post

Exciting stuff! What Sharp and Panasonic LED did you compare it to? What's your Panasonic plasma? What are the viewing angles like? This might be my next TV.

EDIT: How much did you pay and where did you get it from?[/quote

OP here. It is currently priced at $999 at my local Best Buy.
post #6 of 28 Old 11-21-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxsfan View Post

EDIT: How much did you pay and where did you get it from?

The panasonic Id have to check model number, i gave it to my ex but the sharp was the LC-60LE750U. My panny plasma is about 4 years old, just a 46" 720p model used in the bedroom

Angle wise Im normally straight on it but if i sit at my dining room counter, which is roughly 65 degrees, theres no washout and I can see the entire screen just fine.

Got the lg at best buy for $999

Edit: panasonic led model was TC-L55ET5
nxsfan likes this.
post #7 of 28 Old 11-21-2013, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback wingzfan61, I bought one. I asked Amazon to pricematch Frys.com and got it for $929 (not a crazy saving over retail)

Not delivered until 12/2 so I've got time to cancel if something better pops up during BF.
post #8 of 28 Old 12-01-2013, 10:57 AM

Well I ended up returning the LG. After a few days I noticed really bad vertical banding and the abl effect caused too much flickering. I ended up grabbing best buys black friday 65" samsung led. Seems to be better in some aspects and not as good in others. I think Im gonna call it a day and be satisfied with the sammy since I got it for $860
post #9 of 28 Old 12-01-2013, 12:23 PM

Liked: 10

I'm thinking about picking up a 55LN5600.

To anyone who still has something in the LN5600 series: I'm wondering how it handles 24p sources.

I know that some 60hz LG TVs will resync to 48hz and display 24p as "2:2 pulldown". Is there any evidence that this model supports that? I think it would appear as a "Real Cinema" menu option in the picture settings while feeding it a 24p source.

I'm also curious if the step-up LN5700 series (which is 120hz) supports 5:5 pulldown for 24p sources.

Thanks for any info you can provide.

post #10 of 28 Old 12-01-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzfan61 View Post

Well I ended up returning the LG. After a few days I noticed really bad vertical banding and the abl effect caused too much flickering. I ended up grabbing best buys black friday 65" samsung led. Seems to be better in some aspects and not as good in others. I think Im gonna call it a day and be satisfied with the sammy since I got it for $860

I just picked up the 60LN5600, but still trying to decide between this or Samsung UN60FH6003, how would you compare them. Also, I notice the LG is not true 120hz, but how much is it compared to the real ones?
post #11 of 28 Old 12-01-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryvius View Post

I just picked up the 60LN5600, but still trying to decide between this or Samsung UN60FH6003, how would you compare them. Also, I notice the LG is not true 120hz, but how much is it compared to the real ones?

Not sure about that sumsung. I grabbed the un65fh6001. If i get within 3 feet of the screen I can see pixelation but thats either because its a larger screen or I just never looked before. it took me quite a while to dial in the picture but after a couple hours with the disney WOW disc its looking good. The vertical banding is nowhere near what it was on the LG. Hardly noticeable actually. The abl effect is still there but it doesnt cause flickering like the LG did. I think the LG overall had a "cleaner" picture but like I said I got a bigger screen now. The vertical banding really ruined the LG for me and it didnt show up for almost a week.
post #12 of 28 Old 12-02-2013, 05:46 PM

Mine arrived today. It looks as if someone put a boot through it:
http://nxsfan.co.uk/IMG_20131202_182110858.jpg

but strangely enough there isn't a mark on it:
http://nxsfan.co.uk/IMG_20131202_182044250.jpg

I've seen damage like this when someone has trodden on a laptop screen. Could this have been done by the carrier? It was certainly well secured in the truck that delivered it to my house.

Tomorrow I will see how Amazon handles this. I was extremely gentle unpacking it, so I'll be unhappy if they try to blame me.
post #13 of 28 Old 12-02-2013, 06:03 PM

We purchased the 60 inch version of this in a retail store. It is an excellent picture which is comparable to my last TV, The menu options are super easy to navigate, and it *does* work for Amazon prime streaming video. Purchased it in early November and immediately did a wireless firmware update. The wireless receiver must be decent because our DSL modem/router is on another floor. The difference between 5600 and 5700 model is that 5600 60" is compatible with the magic remote but does not come with it; the 5700 does. As far as I can determine from spec sheet and talking to customer support the specs are otherwise the same. You will want to get/use a wireless or USB keyboard for typing in url's and doing searches in the Smart TV functions-- of course you can use the built in on screen keyboard but navigation is slow. Cable setup effortless, same for DVD player. I called support with a question twice and was connected quickly to polite competent people. Overall very happy with this TV.

gBcAjz
post #14 of 28 Old 12-20-2013, 12:18 PM

LG 60LN5600 vs Vizio 60LI-A3E

I had the chance to have both TVs in house for about 3 days, both with comparable features sets. Below is a brief summary of my assessment between the two.

Visio 60LI-A3E

Purchased from Walmart on Black Friday for $688 + 4-year warranty ($89). Total = $839.16.

LG 60LN5600

Purchased from Walmart for $899 + 4-year warranty ($104). Total = $1104.84.

Image quality and audio

Both TVs offered outstanding picture quality. LG offered a bit more in black level. I felt the two panels were probably from the same manufacturer. The default settings from the LG is much more pleasing to me than Vizio. But this is just my personal preference. The color of the Vizio's default settings is too heavy and saturated. With adjustment, however, the two sets can be made almost identical in terms of appearance. I used a setting posted in the Vizio's owner forum in this site by a person who obtained the settings through proper calibration procedure. I recommend those to try these settings posted in the forum.

The audio from both TVs are OK. Since I have a surround system, thus I did not pay too much attention to the bare audio sound from the TV speakers. I would recommend at least a sound bar.

The biggest weakness from the Vizio, however, is the quality of its Motion Compensation feature. This feature is critical, at least to me, for watching Blue-ray content (aka film cinema) which are shot at 24 frames/second. Since both TV have 120 Hz refresh rate, a per-requisite for smooth blue-ray content playback. The quality for rendering the 24 frame/second content to 120 frames/second depends on the implementation detail inside the TV's video processing chip. This feature can be turned off for game play (as recommend by many), but you need it for watching blue-ray content (either from blue-ray DVD or HTPC playback). Otherwise you will see stuttering and/or Soup Opera Effect, especially to objects with panning movement. The LG TV does a superior job in cleaning up the artifact and the moving objects are smooth as real. While the Vizio does a much poor job. Even if I set the correction level to HIGH, I still see the stuttering in some of the scenes. In other words, even though the two TVs may use the panel, but the internal video processor are not the same. This is also refelted in the poor Smart TV features of the Vizio set (see blow).

Smart TV features

LG 60LN5600 is much better. The interface is nice and easy to use. The DLNA feature works great, not only it picked up my PS3 Media Server installed in a network PC but also played the contents very well (MP4, MKV, etc). It also picked up my SiliconDust HomeRun TV tuner and played the non-premium channel flawlessly (premium channels is not watchable since the necessary software is not yet implemented by LG). By comparison, the Vizio's Smart feature is much primitive. Its DLAN feature does not work at all.

In the end,

I returned the Vizio and kept the LG. For $265 difference (including 4 year warranty), you get a much better Smart feature and more importantly (the sole reason I returned Vizio) much better motion compensation processing for almost perfect, smooth blue-ray playback.

post #15 of 28 Old 12-20-2013, 11:45 PM

Liked: 14
I just picked up this TV (60 incher) up today from Best buy for $769 after price matching/beating Walmart. Have you had a chance to calibrate it properly yet?
post #16 of 28 Old 12-28-2013, 10:10 AM

Just got this TV. How do you enter alphabets with the remote it comes with?
post #17 of 28 Old 01-03-2014, 06:30 PM

any chance the mods can change the title of this Thread to "LG 60" 60LN5600 Owners Thread" ? I want to avoid creating another thread.
post #18 of 28 Old 01-12-2014, 07:39 AM

so does anyone else have the vertical banding issue that wing reported or any other issues after using this set for some time now?
post #19 of 28 Old 01-12-2014, 11:45 AM

Thanks mods for the title change.

Here are my current settings. I used WOW and AVS calibration tools. The built LG calibration tool works well too.

I will say that I didn't have to change much on certain settings, the TV comes with a very decent "Standard setting".

These following settings have looked great thus far. Getting many compliments on the PQ.

PS3:

On my PS3 I toggle between (Standard User) and (Game User Mode) depending on what I'm doing on my PS3. If I'm using Netflix or watching Blu-Rays I used the custom Standard Mode I created. I skipped using the expert mode, only because I haven't gone too deep into the color settings.

PS3 - Netflix or Blu-Rays: Standard (User)

Backlight: 100
Contrast: 80
Brightness: 52
Sharpness 42
Color: 63
Tint: G6
Color Temp: C20
Advance Control:
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Dynamic Color: Off
Super Resolution: Low
Gamma: Medium
Picture options:
Noise Reduction: Off
MPEG Noise Reduction: Off
Black level: Low
Motion Eye Care: Off
Tru Motion: User - De-Judder 2, De-Blur 2
Aspect Ratio: Just Scan

PS3 (Games) - Game Mode (User)
Sharpness 42
Advance Control:
Super Resolution: Medium
Picture options:
Tru Motion: User - Off

Wii U: - Game Mode (User) (**The Wii U by default looks much more cloudy than the PS3. So I made a few tweaks and changes.**)

Backlight: 90
Contrast: 86
Sharpness 42
Tint: G7
Color Temp: C10
Advance Control:
Super Resolution: Medium
Picture options:
Tru Motion: User - Off

(If watching Netflix or other media, I create a similar (User Standard setting) with Tru-Motion set to (User) De-Judder 2, De-Blur 2 and Super Resolution set to Low.)

FiOs: Standard (User)
Sharpness 42
Advance Control:
Super Resolution: Low
Picture options:
Tru Motion: (User) De-Judder 2, De-Blur 2
gsr852 likes this.
post #20 of 28 Old 01-12-2014, 11:55 AM

so does anyone else have the vertical banding issue that wing reported or any other issues after using this set for some time now?

Can't say I have noticed it. If I had to ding the TV for anything, the only thing I can think of is the slight bleeding in small parts of the display, but not a huge issue for me.
post #21 of 28 Old 01-27-2014, 05:50 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I picked this TV up from BB for $900 a couple days ago. I like it except for a few dark splotches in the upper middle of the screen that show up against light backgrounds. Does anyone else have this or should I return it? I am really OCD about that kind of thing so I don't think I will keep this particular set but may try another one.

Oh, also, the backlight seems to automatically dim when there are very dark scenes, which I would be fine with except that it is very slow to return to full brightness. Not a good feature and no way to disable it that I have found.
post #22 of 28 Old 01-27-2014, 06:29 PM

yeah I have a few too. I'm not to worry about them, the picture quality makes up for it. that's just the reality of LED. Some may have it less, but they will all have some sort of bleeding.

People have done the massaging thing to it with success, but I wouldn't do that yet. Adding light to the back of your screen helps.
post #23 of 28 Old 02-16-2014, 02:35 PM

Liked: 13

I keep reading online how some of these TVs are really 60Hz with software enhancing it to 120Hz...does anyone have any info on this TV?

post #24 of 28 Old 03-03-2014, 09:15 PM

Sorry if I can't find it right now, but I just got the 50ln5600, and I'm looking for the expert settings. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use my AVS calibration disc for awhile with no bluray player here. I'd someone could point the way or provide them I'd really appreciate it. Thank you desz your settings got me very close!

ViZuNaRy

3D Blu-ray... Better than real life!
post #25 of 28 Old 03-13-2014, 08:45 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizunary View Post

Sorry if I can't find it right now, but I just got the 50ln5600, and I'm looking for the expert settings. Unfortunately, I won't be able to use my AVS calibration disc for awhile with no bluray player here. I'd someone could point the way or provide them I'd really appreciate it. Thank you desz your settings got me very close!

Ditto...Just bought 50ln5600 and would appreciate folks sharing their settings.
post #26 of 28 Old 03-16-2014, 01:51 AM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizunary View Post

When you are able to use the calibration disc, I hope you share your results.

I was glad to see desz shared his results in this thread, as I have searched the web and can not find any other reviews with calibration settings.
post #27 of 28 Old 03-25-2014, 06:49 PM

Why isn't this model on tweak my TV? I have the 60ln5600 and result need calibration . I'm getting really frustrated. Not sure what to expect as Far as pixie quality goes? Anybody used a calibration disc on this model?
post #28 of 28 Old 04-08-2014, 07:45 AM

I have the 60LN5600 and am planning to add a speaker system. Looking at the Vizio True 5.1 S4251W (powered soundbar that comes with wireless subwoofer, and the sub tethers to two included rear satellite speakers). Sounds like a great all-in-one solution for 5.1 without the need for an AV receiver. Vizio manual says to connect sources to the TV with HDMI and then connect the tv to soundbar with optical, but I have read that most HDTVs downmix audio from hdmi-connected devices into 2-channel PCM, so the recommended set up would not give true 5.1 surround. Does anyone know if this is true for the 60LN5600, or does it actually output thru optical true 6-channel surround sound sourced from a cable box/bluray/roku connected to the tv via hdmi?
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Lg Electronics 60ln5600 60 Inch 1080p 60hz Led Lcd Hdtv With Smart Tv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page