Samsung 55" or Vizio 60" in a 12x21.5' room! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2013, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jnick1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a very important decision to make fairly quickly!

Our new houses TV room is 11.8' x 21.5'. Would you go 55" or 60"? Both can be had for the SAME price. Here are the specifics:

Samsung 55 (6030 model) - smaller screen, HAS 3D, is a "bigger" name brand, not a smart tv to my knowledge.

Vizio e601i-A3 - Larger screen, NO 3D, not as big of a name(?), smart tv but heard the smart apps are junk.

I've always been under the impressions "bigger is better" and at roughly 19-20' viewing, I'm worried a 55" may seem small? Not really a big 3D fan but I thought the feature is cool to have should I ever want to use it. I do have an AppleTV so the smart apps aren't vital. Just listing the pros and cons.

Opinions?

Thanks!

Yamaha RX-V675 | Primus 363s fronts | Primus 163 rears | Primus 351 Center | Rythmik LV12R Sub
jnick1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Member
 
bxb11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnick1 View Post

I have a very important decision to make fairly quickly!

Our new houses TV room is 11.8' x 21.5'. Would you go 55" or 60"? Both can be had for the SAME price. Here are the specifics:

Samsung 55 (6030 model) - smaller screen, HAS 3D, is a "bigger" name brand, not a smart tv to my knowledge.

Vizio e601i-A3 - Larger screen, NO 3D, not as big of a name(?), smart tv but heard the smart apps are junk.

I've always been under the impressions "bigger is better" and at roughly 19-20' viewing, I'm worried a 55" may seem small? Not really a big 3D fan but I thought the feature is cool to have should I ever want to use it. I do have an AppleTV so the smart apps aren't vital. Just listing the pros and cons.

Opinions?

Thanks!

I don't know if this helps but we have the 60" Vizio at about a 9'-10' viewing distance in our TV room and after a year (I didn't think I'd ever utter these words) it seems big. In fact, because of this, I am purchasing a Samsung UN55F6300 for our bedroom at a similar viewing distance. I think what I am saying is while bigger is always better, sometimes big is big enough. As far as the Vizio apps are concerned, we use primarily Netflix and Youtube. While their functionality (search, fast forwarding, etc.) is not as good a our Roku, they stream pretty flawlessly. The apps help as we have the TV wall mounted with all cables concealed and this does not easily facilitate the Roku.
bxb11 is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
colour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Fenton, Mo.
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnick1 View Post

I have a very important decision to make fairly quickly!

Our new houses TV room is 11.8' x 21.5'. Would you go 55" or 60"? Both can be had for the SAME price. Here are the specifics:

Samsung 55 (6030 model) - smaller screen, HAS 3D, is a "bigger" name brand, not a smart tv to my knowledge.

Vizio e601i-A3 - Larger screen, NO 3D, not as big of a name(?), smart tv but heard the smart apps are junk.

I've always been under the impressions "bigger is better" and at roughly 19-20' viewing, I'm worried a 55" may seem small? Not really a big 3D fan but I thought the feature is cool to have should I ever want to use it. I do have an AppleTV so the smart apps aren't vital. Just listing the pros and cons.

Opinions?

Thanks!

That's a large distance for a 55" or 60". And what setup are you coming from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bxb11 View Post

I don't know if this helps but we have the 60" Vizio at about a 9'-10' viewing distance in our TV room and after a year (I didn't think I'd ever utter these words) it seems big. In fact, because of this, I am purchasing a Samsung UN55F6300 for our bedroom at a similar viewing distance. I think what I am saying is while bigger is always better, sometimes big is big enough. As far as the Vizio apps are concerned, we use primarily Netflix and Youtube. While their functionality (search, fast forwarding, etc.) is not as good a our Roku, they stream pretty flawlessly. The apps help as we have the TV wall mounted with all cables concealed and this does not easily facilitate the Roku.


9'-10' is twice the distance of 19'-20' so how does that help the OP?
colour is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Member
 
bxb11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

That's a large distance for a 55" or 60". And what setup are you coming from?
9'-10' is twice the distance of 19'-20' so how does that help the OP?

It would help if I read his viewing distance before posting. There are also many (most on this board) who would think a 55" or 60" is way too small for 9'-10'.
bxb11 is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 03:15 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jim Noyd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Manhattan Beach, CA
Posts: 1,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'd go bigger I have a 55" VIZIO at 12' and I'm thinking about the 70" next. Especially with the deals coming for Black Friday.

-Jim Noyd
Noyd Communications Inc.
Representing VIZIO, DVDO,
Luxury Technology Show,
Kimber Kable, Krell
Jim Noyd is offline  
Old 11-24-2013, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
jnick1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 296
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the input. I'm gonna go with the Vizio. Unfortunately, I don't have the funds to be able to afford a 70".

We currently have a 42" Panasonic plasma sitting about 10-12' away.

Yamaha RX-V675 | Primus 363s fronts | Primus 163 rears | Primus 351 Center | Rythmik LV12R Sub
jnick1 is offline  
 

Tags
Samsung 55 Inch Led Hdtv Un55c5000 , Vizio E601i A3 60 Inch Led Lcd Hdtv
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off