Recently bought a LG LA6200 TV, now considering exchanging for a Samsung F6300 series? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-25-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14

I bought a LG 47LA6200 TV just last week when it was on sale for $600. Now that the Samsung F6300 has dropped to ~$650 for this week, and I am considering exchanging my LG for it. I am wondering whether this forum feels it is worth it or if I should just keep the LG.

I won't be using the 3D function from my LG at all most likely, I will primarily be using my TV to watch Netflix and Plex to stream movies from my computer. I do appreciate the viewing angles my LG provides, and the colors seem fairly accurate to my eyes as do the blacks, which seems to be the biggest complaint. I also downloaded the LG remote app for my iPhone and it allows me to use my phone's keyboard to type things in, which I do not think the Samsung TV is capable of doing? 

Is the picture quality / contrast / brightness / etc. of the Samsung F6300 better overall and should I get that TV instead?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 08:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

interested in seeing what the others are thinking too.

Old 11-27-2013, 08:26 AM
Knd

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fshbrsh View Post

I bought a LG 47LA6200 TV just last week when it was on sale for $600. Now that the Samsung F6300 has dropped to ~$650 for this week, and I am considering exchanging my LG for it. I am wondering whether this forum feels it is worth it or if I should just keep the LG.

I won't be using the 3D function from my LG at all most likely, I will primarily be using my TV to watch Netflix and Plex to stream movies from my computer. I do appreciate the viewing angles my LG provides, and the colors seem fairly accurate to my eyes as do the blacks, which seems to be the biggest complaint. I also downloaded the LG remote app for my iPhone and it allows me to use my phone's keyboard to type things in, which I do not think the Samsung TV is capable of doing? 

Is the picture quality / contrast / brightness / etc. of the Samsung F6300 better overall and should I get that TV instead?

We have owned a lg-la6200 (60") for about 6 months and I'm quite pleased with it. We have it in our family room and one the biggest reason I picked this TV is because of the matte screen. We have quite a bit of light hitting the screen during daytime so this was important to me. I was shopping for a TV for our son for this Christmas and was considering the 6300 series, and the screen is considerably more reflective than the LG (I went to BB to view), so this may be something to consider.

Another positive to the LG is the off angle viewing is supposed to be quite a bit better than the Samsung, and I think it is, but how much better is hard to say, as I viewed the 6300 from off angle intentionally, but can't really quantify after leaving the store and then watching our set.

The negative for the LG is that their black level's are as good as other sets (although CNet's review of the 6300, said their black levels weren't very good compared to other sets). From my perspective the only time that this is noticeable is while watching at night, in dark scenes they look dark gray (of course you have to be looking for them - my wife would never notice this unless I mentioned it to her).

During daylight the black levels are not a problem (they don't look gray to me).

Hope this helps.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:56 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Thanks for the detailed review.  Appreciate it

Old 11-27-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14

Thanks! Great review, and I actually got the Samsung UN46F6300 today and agree with it completely. My ultimate purpose for purchasing a Smart TV was to use the Plex app, and I just learned it is not quite available for the 2013 LG TVs. I understand someone is working on it, but it does not seem to match the version available for the Samsung TVs. I know there are other alternatives like Nero or Smart Share, but they don't seem as nice or functional as Plex. This lead me to buy the UN46F6300 today. 

I am not a TV pro at all but have a photography / design background. These are just my personal views, but compared to the Samsung UN46F6300, to me the LG 47LA6200 has more accurate colors out of the box with little tweaking needed IMO, the sharpness or maybe just the overall experience of HD content appears to be better quality, the horizontal and vertical viewing angles are far better, motion / fast scenes actually seems to be better to me but that may just be a personal view, and the UI seems more fluid and faster to respond. Not only the UI, but apps like Netflix seem to open faster, the movies seem to load faster, and I haven't had a movie in Netflix freeze or stutter on me yet. The Samsung UN46F6300 seems to take longer to open Netflix, and once it does it can stutter during fast motion scenes and have to buffer a lot. Moving around the menus also feels clumsier and not as responsive. Is the processor in the LG faster than the Samsung? 

Now on to the Samsung UN46F6300 - out of the box the colors seem way too oversaturated and while the blacks are far darker than they are on the LG a lot of detail is lost in the shadows. However, after I calibrated the screen according to a review of the UN46F6300, the colors almost match those of my LG 47LA6200. The dark blacks still remain and this helps with the contrast of the image quite a bit, making things "pop" more than on the LG. With the LG, a lot of times I felt like my eyes were wandering around trying to find something to focus on as everything seemed flat. With the Samsung, I feel like my eyes do not wander as much and have an easier time focusing on the picture. The viewing angles of the Samsung are also not very good, but OK for my viewing purposes. The build quality of the Samsung seems cheaper to me than the LG as well, and I much prefer the aesthetics of the LG. 

As I said, ultimately it came down to which Smart platform did a better job with Plex, and so I will stick with the Samsung F6300. However, if it was not for Plex, and now being able to compare both side by side in my own environment, it would be really tough to choose one over the other. I really like the viewing angles and responsiveness of the LG, as well as the great colors, and may have kept that instead. The Samsung image does seem punchier, and after being calibrated, the colors are very good as well. However, the viewing angles are much worse and the processing / quality of the HD picture does not match the LG to my eyes. This may completely be a personal preference though, and you probably can't go wrong with either TV.

Tags
Lg Electronics 47la6200 47 Inch Cinema 3d Led Lcd Hdtv , Samsung Un46f6300 46 Inch Slim Smart Led Hdtv