Samsung UN65FH6001FXZA?? I can't find anything! - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 483 Old 12-12-2013, 08:55 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Ive got a str-dh720 sony that supports deep color processing (this is whats supossed to smooth color transitions to eliminate color banding) and it doesnt correct color banding on some images.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 483 Old 12-12-2013, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzfan61 View Post

Ive got a str-dh720 sony that supports deep color processing (this is whats supossed to smooth color transitions to eliminate color banding) and it doesnt correct color banding on some images.

Deep Color only works if the source materail (blu-ray, game, etc) and display support it. Which next to nothing does, and I'm pretty sure this is only an 8-bit display so it wouldn't support it either. There's really nothing u can do about color banding, though properly calibrating the TV can reduce how noticeable it is a tad bit.
post #273 of 483 Old 12-12-2013, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizman7 View Post

Deep Color only works if the source materail (blu-ray, game, etc) and display support it. Which next to nothing does, and I'm pretty sure this is only an 8-bit display so it wouldn't support it either. There's really nothing u can do about color banding, though properly calibrating the TV can reduce how noticeable it is a tad bit.

Sorry that was in reply to notjustgc's post regarding receivers, quote portion got deleted.
post #274 of 483 Old 12-12-2013, 11:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 871
Anyone else had lipsync issues with Netflix?

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #275 of 483 Old 12-12-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

Anyone else had lipsync issues with Netflix?

Not me but I have only tried 1 movie and it was sent form PC to Chromecast. It played perfectly but havent had time to really test. I will get back to you sir. 

post #276 of 483 Old 12-12-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oreb View Post

Thank you both for the replies. I spoke with a rep and was told that if the repair is more than what you paid SquareTrade will cut you a check for the purchase amount, so I ended up going with the 1000 dollar plan. No point in getting more than I paid for. If something does go horribly wrong the hassle of a very expensive repair for a set like this doesn't seem worth it.

BTW I tried a few different input names like PC and DVI but none of them had an impact on PQ. The TV isn't connected to a PC though just DirecTV.

I actually went with a the $1499.99 warranty from ST. I was told that if the tv ever breaks and they cant fix it they would give the full $1499.00 refund which can be used to buy a comparable set. It was a little extra so said screw it.

One thing to keep in mind for peeps that dont know but check you credit card benefits as it might include and extra year warranty. I bought mine on an Amex and they automatically warranty it for an extra year after the manufacturer so that's 2 years for nothing. Basically I paid Squaretrade for 2 extra years giving me 4 total.

oreb likes this.
post #277 of 483 Old 12-12-2013, 04:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supacatsf View Post

Not me but I have only tried 1 movie and it was sent form PC to Chromecast. It played perfectly but havent had time to really test. I will get back to you sir. 
Thanks. I still have some testing to do myself. I just watched a few minutes of a Netflix movie through my wifi BDP with no AVR in the loop and the lipsync was really bad. Just thought Id shoot a msg to see what any other owners thought.

post #278 of 483 Old 12-12-2013, 04:25 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Using PC mode there has been no lipsync problems. Running through the AVR but using the TV's built in speakers. Very impressed with lack of latency in general. Just a qualifier that I'm using the practically identical 65EH6000.
post #279 of 483 Old 12-13-2013, 05:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Just an update after living with this set another few days. It really is a solid value and thats how you have to look at it. it is NOT going to make anyone forget their KURO or other good plasma. It probably would lose a shootout to expensive LCD's. But, good freegin luck finding 65" watchable screen inches for $999 some other way. You cant and wont.

My settings are mainly whatever were in my last post. Im the eternal tweaker and will always play with settings. Few clicks here and there. Maybe messing with a few of the other options(Black level, color tone, etc) but they'll stay in the same range until further notice.

Here is a summary:

PROS
- Giant screen makes this set a great value and bang fer yer buck
- Good uniformity(on my set anyways) for an LCD
- Surprisingly good black level
- Color is fairly easy to get dialed in
- Motion performance, if setup right is acceptable
- Nice and bright when it needs to be

CONS:
- Lack of inputs and NO audio output
- Dark scene detail is just not there sometimes
- Pretty finnicky about the source & quality of the feed. The screen size plays a role in this too
- Lacks the depth of plasma so if yyou are coming from one of those (like me) you'll see this more
- Stigma attached to a low-cost LCD: the video snobs wont be kind.

THE VERDICT:
- A damned solid value for those that want a good size screen and acceptable performance from a TV thats really a stepping stone to bigger and better technology(OLED?) in 4-5 years.

Enjoy your sets, ladies and gentlemens..... smile.gif
Supacatsf likes this.
post #280 of 483 Old 12-13-2013, 05:49 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Any other settings guys? I've tried some of the latest ones and they're way too dark
post #281 of 483 Old 12-13-2013, 06:41 PM

Liked: 10

Well, it has taken me two full weeks of non-stop tweaking across dozens of different source materials and calibration images, but I have finally found my ideal settings. These settings provide the best compromise between low-light detail and good black levels. They also result in the best possible reduction of banding/posterization, as well as the best compromise between day and night viewing. I'm a purist and I hate turning on the Black Tone and Digital Noise Filter features, but on this set they have proven to provide real advantages in reducing compression artifacts and posterization in certain scenes from certain feeds.

Of course, these settings work for my panel in my living room; you may need to make some small adjustments to account for your panel, your room and your eye.

Mode: Standard

Backlight: 8
Contrast: 98
Brightness: 42
Sharpness: 0
Color: 46
Tint (G/R): G52/R48
[ADVANCED SETTINGS]
- Color Space: Native
- White Balance: Defaults (It's pretty accurate as-is when using Warm1 color tone)
- Gamma: 0
- Dynamic Contrast: Off
- Black Tone: Dark
- Flesh Tone: -5
- Motion Lighting: Off
[PICTURE OPTIONS]
- Color Tone: Warm1
- Size: Screen Fit
- Digital Noise Filter: Auto
- HDMI Black Level: Normal
- Film mode: Off
- Auto Motion Plus: Off
- LED Motion Plus: Off

My everyday source is a DirecTV Genie receiver (HR34/700) via HDMI/DVI port. Switching to PC doesn't change anything; it really just results in fewer available options. If you default those options on Standard mode, everything is identical. These settings provide good overall results for the DirecTV feed, AppleTV, and Blu-Ray.

post #282 of 483 Old 12-14-2013, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustgc View Post

Well, it has taken me two full weeks of non-stop tweaking across dozens of different source materials and calibration images, but I have finally found my ideal settings. These settings provide the best compromise between low-light detail and good black levels. They also result in the best possible reduction of banding/posterization, as well as the best compromise between day and night viewing. I'm a purist and I hate turning on the Black Tone and Digital Noise Filter features, but on this set they have proven to provide real advantages in reducing compression artifacts and posterization in certain scenes from certain feeds.

Of course, these settings work for my panel in my living room; you may need to make some small adjustments to account for your panel, your room and your eye.

Code:
Contrast: 98
Brightness: 42
Sharpness: 0
[ADVANCED SETTINGS]
- White Balance: Defaults (It's pretty accurate as-is when using Warm1 color tone)
- Gamma: 0
- Black Tone: Dark
- Flesh Tone: -5
[PICTURE OPTIONS]
- Color Tone: Warm1
- Size: Screen Fit
- HDMI Black Level: Normal
- Film mode: Off
- Auto Motion Plus: Off

My everyday source is a DirecTV Genie receiver (HR34/700) via HDMI/DVI port. Switching to PC doesn't change anything; it really just results in fewer available options. If you default those options on Standard mode, everything is identical. These settings provide good overall results for the DirecTV feed, AppleTV, and Blu-Ray.

Thanks for sharing - I may try these just to see how they look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle Shepard View Post

Any other settings guys? I've tried some of the latest ones and they're way too dark

Check the ones above or hunt my down a few pages ago for a decent starting point. Is your room really bright? Just curious....
post #283 of 483 Old 12-14-2013, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post

Check the ones above or hunt my down a few pages ago for a decent starting point. Is your room really bright? Just curious....

I tried the settings in a dark room and watching the night sequence of zero dark thirty on bluray. I literally couldn't see anything. I probably got a different panel.
post #284 of 483 Old 12-14-2013, 09:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Back to $1100.

post #285 of 483 Old 12-15-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

I tried the settings in a dark room and watching the night sequence of zero dark thirty on bluray. I literally couldn't see anything. I probably got a different panel.
Quote:

Wow - thats not cool. Here is what Ive settled at for now. I am using HDMI black level LOW along with slightly higher brightness setting & a gamma bump. I like the black level depth & detail a little better now. Its still a weakness of this set but its worth trying. Here are my settings as of last night that I *think* Im happy with for most viewing.

Contrast: 97
Brightness: 47
Sharpness: 5

[ADVANCED SETTINGS]
- White Balance: No changes
- Gamma: +2(this is with using HDMI black level LOW)
- Black Tone: Darkest
- Flesh Tone: -7

[PICTURE OPTIONS]
- Color Tone: Standard
- Size: 16x9
- HDMI Black Level: Low(this works better IMO with gamma +2 and a brightness of 47)
- Film mode: Auto
- Auto Motion Plus:CLEAR

See what ya think and give these a shot. Im still not 100% sure yet on the Auto Motion setting.... Clear seems good but I feel like I still have to mess with this.
post #286 of 483 Old 12-16-2013, 02:05 AM

Just want to say thanks for all the advice on the settings. I have another question about the TV. I got mine on the 14th {replaced a Mitsubishi 65" DPL} and my friend helped me set it up. The sad part is me now paying attention to the connections on the TV. As you all know there is no audio out on it. I have a Bose CineMate® Series II digital home theater speaker system. I was just it anyone has a similar setup and what type of receiver you use. I don't need a fancy one just one that will do the job. I will also have a Xbox 360 and Blu-Ray player to hook up to it. Any advice you all could give would be great.

Thanks...

Link to the speakers if that helps...

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/shop_online/home_theater/simplified_home_theater/cinemate_series_ii/index.jsp

post #287 of 483 Old 12-16-2013, 12:34 PM

I recently purchased (mail order) the Samsung UN65EH6000FXZA with panel YH02 from Coscto. It plays BLU RAY fine, but, when I use it as a PC monitor I see artifacts on the screen that bother me (darkened corners, poor wide angle viewing, some banding when displaying a screen-filled solid color).

Can someone inform me as to what version YH02 means? Is there any advice as to these artifacts? I hate to return it but I will unless I can find a correction. I am comparing it to my old Samsung 40", which exhibits no banding, no corner darkening, and excellent wide angle viewing.

Somewhat disappointed.

Littleberry
post #288 of 483 Old 12-16-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserksquirrel View Post

Just want to say thanks for all the advice on the settings. I have another question about the TV. I got mine on the 14th {replaced a Mitsubishi 65" DPL} and my friend helped me set it up. The sad part is me now paying attention to the connections on the TV. As you all know there is no audio out on it.[/URL]
There is an optical out of this TV and an optical in on your Bose speaker system so I can't see what the problem is. I'm an idiot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleberry View Post

Somewhat disappointed.

YH-02 means it is an A-MVA panel by AU Optronics. This is the second to worst panel manufacturer that Samsung uses. It has worse contrast and viewing angles than the Samsung S-PVA. You will not buy a 65" TV with a Samsung panel without getting a top-end set (65F8000, etc). I also have the YH-02 and I'm quite pleased with it. Backlight uniformity is good and there is minimal vertical banding when displaying a uniform color. I do not have the same darkened corners as you do. Contrast is good when sat in-front of the set. The main problem I have is color banding/quantization, where the TV does a bad job of smoothly blending across a color gradient (look at a full-screen black to white gradient picture). I use this TV with an HTPC and it looks great. Something to note is that this TV seems to have excellent input lag and has no motion blurring, which is something you are much more likely to see with a Samsung S-PVA panel.
post #289 of 483 Old 12-16-2013, 01:24 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There is no optical out on the fh6001. You may be thinking of the eh6000.
MH01 is a good panel, right?

post #290 of 483 Old 12-16-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:

There is no optical out on the fh6001. You may be thinking of the eh6000.
MH01 is a good panel, right?

I'm really sorry. I have email notifications on this thread and the XXEH6000 and after littleberrys comments on the 65EH6000 I assumed I was in the other thread. What a plonker smile.gif

MH-01 is also AU Optronics A-MVA.
post #291 of 483 Old 12-16-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nxsfan View Post

I'm really sorry. I have email notifications on this thread and the XXEH6000 and after littleberrys comments on the 65EH6000 I assumed I was in the other thread. What a plonker smile.gif
I do it all the time. Trying to keep track of 50+ threads its bound to happen.

post #292 of 483 Old 12-16-2013, 04:41 PM

To: NXSFAN,

Thank you so much for that information.

My old 40" is model number: LN40A530P1FXZA,
made in Tijuana, Mexico, in April, 2008.

I am thinking it was an S-PVA panel. If you can confirm,
or deny, please do.

That would explain it to me - I have gotten used to the excellent
video characteristics of this 40", and I now notice slight differences,
probably due to the different type of panel.

Friends have come over and asked me to watch a football game
with them, and they have mentioned they see motion blur (on my 40"),
but I did not ever notice it as I was not really paying that much attention.
I use my 40 inch almost exclusively as a PC monitor and also for watching
movies occasionally (both DVD, MPG, and BLURAY). I never noticed any
motion blur or lag, and I am so very satisfied with my 40 inch, but, I was
wanting a larger size. I also have had several 21" Samsung 2013T.
also made in Mexico in 2005, but with an aspect ratio of 4:3, but, I am sure
these old 213T's are S-PVA panels. They are excellent. My eyes must have
gotten so used to the S-PVA panels that I am probably spoiled and will
always notice the lesser quality panels. The S-PVA panels might be slower
in response time, but their color reproduction, contrast, brightness, and overall
pleasing (at least, to me) appearance is probably what I need to be looking for.

If I decide to return this unit (an option always available from COSTCO), I need
to make sure my next purchase is an S-PVA panel. Can anyone advise me
as to which large format Samsung's use S-PVA exclusively? Others might
not agree with me, but, I really can tell the difference and, now that you
have informed me about the panel type, I am rapidly deciding to return this
brand new unit.

Thanks so much, and, any other advice you might have for me, please
respond. I truly feel like a dunce, having ordered such an expensive
unit without seeing it in person first - I just relied on the many customer
reviews that said it was an excellent picture. Now I know - NEVER EVER
purchase an LCD without seeing it in person first. I knew something
was amiss as soon as I turned this one on and displayed a series
of family photos, and compared it to how they looked on both my
40" and 21" - I was very disappointed and fearful that I had gotten
a lemon of a unit. Now, I am thinking you are right and it is just
that my eyes have gotten used to the superior visual quality
of the S-PVA, and I am not too keen on response time, as
I never really care about sporting events anyway.

Any advice on a large format Samsung (or any other brand, really)
that uses exclusively S-PVA, anywhere from 50" to 65", please
advise.

Littleberry
post #293 of 483 Old 12-16-2013, 04:50 PM

littleberry, I recently put together this list of Samsung Model/Version/Panel combinations. It's limited, but it is a good starting point. http://nxsfan.co.uk/mediawiki/index.php/Samsung_Panels

You can see your options for getting a large S-PVA panel are limited, but if you are happy to try a Sharp you could look for UN60FH6003 Version H for the same price as this 65" set.
post #294 of 483 Old 12-18-2013, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Has anyone got around to wall mounting this set yet? If so, is there room to get the HDMI cables inback there? What mount did you use?

Thaks for any tips.... smile.gif
post #295 of 483 Old 12-18-2013, 01:33 PM

Wall mounted with this mount: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OCY3RY
I wanted something low profile to make up for the chunky TV. I'm very impressed with it (I was ~160lb and I hung off it). Obviously there's not tilt capability so mount the TV close to eye level.

Ran the cables with this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CGWFFGO
Made the cutout bottom right of the TV.

Overall result is excellent.

NB: The HDMI ports face sidewards so if you feel inclined they are pretty easy to plug/unplug while on the mount. The other ports are much harder to work with and I wouldn't recommend this mount if you plan to be unplugging component and such frequently. I give up.
post #296 of 483 Old 12-18-2013, 02:26 PM

Rocketfish slimline mount worked fine for me.
post #297 of 483 Old 12-18-2013, 03:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Wall mounted with this mount: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OCY3RY
I wanted something low profile to make up for the chunky TV. I'm very impressed with it (I was ~160lb and I hung off it). Obviously there's not tilt capability so mount the TV close to eye level.

Ran the cables with this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CGWFFGO
Made the cutout bottom right of the TV.

Overall result is excellent.

NB: The HDMI ports face sidewards so if you feel inclined they are pretty easy to plug/unplug while on the mount. The other ports are much harder to work with and I wouldn't recommend this mount if you plan to be unplugging component and such frequently.
The HDMI ports face back on the fh6001.

post #298 of 483 Old 12-18-2013, 03:12 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Has anyone got around to wall mounting this set yet? If so, is there room to get the HDMI cables inback there? What mount did you use?

Thaks for any tips.... smile.gif
Something like this might be helpful since the HDMI face towards the back.
http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Degree-Female-Adapter/dp/B004PW3DKS/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1387404645&sr=1-4&keywords=hdmi+right+angle+adapter

post #299 of 483 Old 12-18-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:

The HDMI ports face back on the fh6001.

Oh my lord I spent three minutes looking at bestbuy's blurry 360 degree spin picture before deciding the HDMI ports faced sidewards like the EH6000. I think it might be time for me to take a break from avs. smile.gif
post #300 of 483 Old 12-18-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Oh my lord I spent three minutes looking at bestbuy's blurry 360 degree spin picture before deciding the HDMI ports faced sidewards like the EH6000. I think it might be time for me to take a break from avs. smile.gif
lol Dont do that. Youre very helpful.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Series 65 Inch Class Led Hdtv Un65eh6000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page