Samsung UN65FH6001FXZA?? I can't find anything! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 484 Old 12-02-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
just curious about BB's return policy. I know some of you are giving this set a test drive but if you open it, can you still return it for the full price? i'd think there would be some sort of restockng fee since it's opened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 484 Old 12-02-2013, 12:41 PM

Liked: 10

I asked very specifically these same questions. I got the answer, you have until January 15 to return if the item is purchased as a gift after 11/29 (or something that close, just ask for a gift receipt). No restocking fee.

post #93 of 484 Old 12-02-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Real World View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post

This is getting interesting now. I expected this set to be pretty bad but it *seems* like people are relatively happy with it. Most of the bad reviews on BB's site are related to the poor connectivity but that hardly matters to most of us. I only need one HDMI in and out and thats it.

Stil waiting for a few more reviews to come in but Im damned close to trying this thing out. I just cant believe Im going to try and replace a 50" KURO with a black friday special LED TV..... crazy..... biggrin.gif

Can someone chime in on the black level performance? I dont expect plasma-like blacks but I cant live with the purple look or even worse - shadow detail loss/crush.

I'm in a similar boat, albeit, my Sammy 71f isn't quite a KURO, but I'm teetering on whether or not I want to try this unit out. Let me know what you think if you do pick one up. So far, the reviewers in here seem to give it a thumbs up, and I value their knowledge and opinion more than most.

Surre thing - Ill be posting my findings sometime tonight after I get it on my stand and powered up. Ill tweak it a little too and get it looking decent, hopefully. Im expecting for this TV to NOT impress me like my KURO did. But, its a cheap stop-gap until the "next best thing" comes along. I really cant justify spending $3K++ on a really "good" newer set. All that 3D, smart crap, and whatever else just doesnt mean sqaut to me. I probably should have tried the Panasonic TC65S60 since its closer to what Im used to being a plasma. but, $500 bucks is a lot of cash and I see no reason to get another plasma at this point. Sadly wink.gif

Ill let ya know..... ASAP.
post #94 of 484 Old 12-02-2013, 02:47 PM

Can anyone comment on a comparison betwee this set and the UN65EH6000FXZA?

The UN65EH6000FXZA is only $100 more, has optical audio out and lower power consumption.

$1100 at Frys and BB. Was just at Frys and the pic looks good except for plastic looking skin tones.

I'm relatively certain adjustments will clean that up.

Abit IP35-E, C2Q Q8200, Corsair 2GB PC6400, EVGA GTX 260, Win 7 SP1 32, FusionHDTV 5 Gold, 5 Lite, Silicon Dust HDHR2, Hauppauge HVR-1600, HVR-950Q, Thermaltake 850W, WMC7, Philips 52" LCD
post #95 of 484 Old 12-02-2013, 03:37 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Couldn't pass this deal up.  Great set.  I don't need any of the bells & whistles.  Some of the reviews are funny, esp. on the BB site.  I think a lot of folks just don't realize how crappy satellite signals are (myself really included).  Satellite artifacting is exponentially more visible with a huge set - as evidenced from my switch from a 55" LCoS rptv, to this behemoth (& various BD comparisons - almost no noticeable artifacts).  (note:  I am also currently viewing from @7' - will go in much bigger room when other plans come to fruition)

I do wish it had SOME kind of audio out simply for a soundbar or something, as the onboard audio is horrendous.  I mean... terribad.  Reminiscent of an on-board PC speaker from the 80's bad (slight exaggeration there - but only slight).  That's really my one gripe thus far.  But I knew it going in, so can't really judge from there. 

Due to previous TV age & technology, I won't comment much on performance since it's almost a night and day jump, but I'm ridiculously happy with the pq.  It's going to be the daily / daytime viewer in my budding home theater (and will often be behind a ceiling mounted 2.35:1 screen when such viewing necessitates).

But yep!  Super happy thus far.  Serious steal imo.

post #96 of 484 Old 12-02-2013, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

All right guys....heres what I got so far:

Overall PQ thus far has been decent but not awesome or anything. I find that my OTA channels looked better on my KURO even though the tuner in this set seems to get a few more channels. Im still messing with settings though and Ill get to those later. Blu Ray looks really good. I demoed Avatar, Planet Earth, and The Matrix so far. In the darker scenes, its obvious that my KURO gets blacker and has better shadow detail but this set was better than I had expected in this regard. Again, tweaks shall follow whch should help. So, the black level performance in limited testing are about average for an LED panel.

Colors and flesh tones werent too bad right out of the box. Still playing with the color balance but I expect to be able to get the color dialed in nicely without much trouble.

So far, I have the Motion settings on Judder = 0, Blur = 0 and set it to Clear. Still playing with this. The default settings did make things looks strange but thankfully you can control this stuff.

Screen uniformity is actually pretty good. Its not like a plasma of course but Ive seen much worse on some other LED sets. I dont have any dead pixels or any other glaring issues.

Ironically, I DID mess up with this set though. Ya know how there is no audio out? Well.... I dont have cable or Pay TV so I have an antenna coming into the TV for OTA channels. The problem? This set has no optical or even basic audio out so there is NO way for me to get sound to my AVR when watching OTA TV. I didnt even think of this. Unless there is some other solution Im not sure of..... this is gona be tough to live with. Its doable but does suck.

Right now Im leaning towards keeping it. We are finishing our basement and making an entertainment room that will need a TV. This one could always go down there. For now though, its staying in the main system for now so I can keep playing with it.

I say its worth the $1000 bucks I paid for it. Its slightly better than I thought it would be. Blu-ray performance is very good. OTA performance is a little disappointing so far though.

Ill post some settings in a few days..... wink.gif
post #97 of 484 Old 12-02-2013, 11:03 PM

This TV is exclusive to Best Buy (65FH6001). I don't know if it's made differently than the standard 65" LED (the EH600 model), but the specs show it weighs more, and is not energy star certified like the standard version is. That might be a typo of some kind, as someone told me the specs on the Samsung page are the same for both models. The 65" Sammy is exactly what I want, I'm a little hesitant.

post #98 of 484 Old 12-02-2013, 11:28 PM

how did you get the tv audio output through the home theater? I dont think this tv has an audio output. appreciate any advice.

post #99 of 484 Old 12-03-2013, 05:36 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mannysawhney View Post

how did you get the tv audio output through the home theater? I dont think this tv has an audio output. appreciate any advice.

Pretty sure you have to run the sound from the source straight to your a/v receiver...can't run it from the tv to your speaker system.
post #100 of 484 Old 12-03-2013, 05:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole351 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannysawhney View Post

Pretty sure you have to run the sound from the source straight to your a/v receiver...can't run it from the tv to your speaker system.

That is correct - the TV has NO way to output audio. Thats why I have the OTA antena conondrum. Ill have to buy a tuner with HDMI out or just use the TV sound when watching regular TV.
post #101 of 484 Old 12-03-2013, 06:00 AM

If I had gotten it I would have gotten an HDMI splitter that had an optical/audio out option, as I already have a soundbar.
post #102 of 484 Old 12-03-2013, 08:26 AM

There is no HDMI auto detect on this TV.

My connection is as follow:

Cable Box HDMI to HDMI 1 on Receiver.
DVD Player HDMI to HDMI 2 on Receiver.
Receiver HDMI Out to HDMI 1 on Samsung.

When I turned on the Cable Box, the TV did not turn on. Same thing happen when I turned on the DVD Player. I have to manually turn on the TV.

I also have a SONY 46" LED 3D TV and a Panasonic 50" Plasma TV in the same connection above and they work perfectly. Does anyone run into the same problem?
post #103 of 484 Old 12-03-2013, 08:30 AM

Ive never had a tv turn on via hdmi detection. Even my ridiculousy overpriced panny didnt do that and that p.o.s. Did everything but cook.
post #104 of 484 Old 12-03-2013, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingzfan61 View Post

Heres mine but I am a novice at this and my eye sight is not the greates however it seems to work pretty well.

Mode - standard
Backlight - 8
Contrast - 90
Brightness - 46
Sharpness - 12
Color - 48
Tint - 50
Auto motion - clear
Led motion plus - off
Black level - darkest
Noise filter - auto
Gamma - +2
Film mode - off
Color - native
Flesh tone - negative 7
Everything else default

How did you know wher eto set the Gamma? Do you use a meter. Also, what were you looking for when adjusting the backlighting down to 8 setting. I know what the backlight does, but how does lowering this do anything different than change brightness level? thanks.
post #105 of 484 Old 12-03-2013, 10:28 AM

What is film mode supposed to do? this does not seem to do anything different set to AUTO or OFF and why isn't there an ON option? wink.gifeek.gifeek.gif
post #106 of 484 Old 12-03-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomcreek View Post

How did you know wher eto set the Gamma? Do you use a meter. Also, what were you looking for when adjusting the backlighting down to 8 setting. I know what the backlight does, but how does lowering this do anything different than change brightness level? thanks.

I used the disney wow disc for everything. As far as the backlight goes, I like it lower to minimize any light leakage etc. Plus my living room is generally dark so I dont need much backlight.
post #107 of 484 Old 12-03-2013, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Heres mine but I am a novice at this and my eye sight is not the greates however it seems to work pretty well.

Mode - standard
Backlight - 8
Contrast - 90
Brightness - 46
Sharpness - 12
Color - 48
Tint - 50
Auto motion - clear
Led motion plus - off
Black level - darkest
Noise filter - auto
Gamma - +2
Film mode - off
Color - native
Flesh tone - negative 7
Everything else default

The backlight is more to compensate for brighter viewing conditions or darker ones for that matter. usually, in a dark room for movie viewing the backlight can be turned down more. It controls the entire illumination of the panel. Brightness & Contrast control black level and white level respectively. They do seem the same but really arent. Once you get those set you wont likely change them but backlighting will be changed more often, IMO.

I have my gamma set at +1 right now but Im still tweaking this set. Ill have settings done by tonight, Im hoping.
post #108 of 484 Old 12-03-2013, 05:42 PM

So I'm curious if anyone has used this set for gaming and what they've thought of it?

I'm considering returning my new plasma (Panasonic P65S60) for this set.

Probably sounds crazy but I game a lot (75% of my usage is gaming) and linebleed is REALLY starting to piss me off (you can see my grief herehttp://www.avsforum.com/t/1503376/would-this-be-considered-severe#post_24026419)and ruining my gaming experiences. Not to mention the the constantly potential threat of IR/Burn-In from the HUDs in games, though at least I have some control over that.

So yeah, I have till Dec 14th to return the plasma, I may have missed the Black Friday sale in this Sammy, but I see its still $1099 at Best Buy so not bad IMO, and about $200 less than I paid for the plasma.

So any one try gaming on this Sammy? How's the lag, but also how is the motion for gaming?

Thanks
post #109 of 484 Old 12-03-2013, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizman7 View Post

So I'm curious if anyone has used this set for gaming and what they've thought of it?

I'm considering returning my new plasma (Panasonic P65S60) for this set.

Probably sounds crazy but I game a lot (75% of my usage is gaming) and linebleed is REALLY starting to piss me off (you can see my grief herehttp://www.avsforum.com/t/1503376/would-this-be-considered-severe#post_24026419)and ruining my gaming experiences. Not to mention the the constantly potential threat of IR/Burn-In from the HUDs in games, though at least I have some control over that.

So yeah, I have till Dec 14th to return the plasma, I may have missed the Black Friday sale in this Sammy, but I see its still $1099 at Best Buy so not bad IMO, and about $200 less than I paid for the plasma.

So any one try gaming on this Sammy? How's the lag, but also how is the motion for gaming?

Thanks
I haven't set my TV up yet. Gotta wait to mount it. But of the few reviews I've seen between here and bestbuy .com that mention gaming, it sounds like no one has a had any problems so far.

Samsung UN65FH6001FXZA 65" 1080p LED
Onkyo TX-SR606
Polk Audio TSi300, CSi A4, PSW 125, OWM3
Sony PS3, PS4
post #110 of 484 Old 12-03-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Another Update:

Watched Star Wars EP4 tonight. Its my fav of the series so I really got into as always. Anyway, this TV performed well overall with this film on blu-ray. It wasnt great but it was good. Its about what I was hoping for in a set at this price level. The colors are pretty easy to make look good and detail in normal or bright scenes is excellent. The issues are with the blacks which tend to crush or pool in the darker scenes or objects. For example, the scene at Mos Eisley where that hooded informant with the long trunk warns the stormtroopers about the Falcon - in one shot that creature is in a dark corner talking on his comlink. On this TV there is hardly any detail at all. Just a black figure and background. Playing with brightness might help but then blacks get washed out. On my KURO, there is detail galore in this shot. There are some other similar scenes where black detail is lost. Interestingly, the black depth is actually pretty good. Vaders cape in many scenes gets a deep black..... but some detail is lost.

So, you choose between dark scene detail and deep blacks. I prefer the deep blacks myself. Motion was pretty good too. No problems there. Its just obvious that these LED-LCDs can NOT get plasma blacks yet. The high end models are better Im sure but still, its an issue. Does it make the set "bad"? Not at all. I dont feel this set looks as good with OTA HD but that could just be the size difference.

I am still playing with settings so nothing here is written in blood or whatever. I am going to keep watching movies and familiar content and will update as I go along. Just like a couple days ago - If I had to make the decision right now Id keep the set. Its really a decent performer and a killer value, IMO. I was looking at $2k to get a higher-end 65" set and I doubt they are $1000 better. No way they could be.

Here are my settings I used for EP4:

Standard
Backlight : 8(can be raised if room light is more prevalent but this was good for darker movie conditions, IMO)
Contrast : 94
Brightness: 47(could tweak this more, jury is stil out)
Sharpness: 10
Color: 38(I backed this off and like where the fleshtones are)
TNT - 2 clicks left(G52/R48)

Auto Motion: Clear(This is a setting I really gotta screw with some more. seemed OK for Star Wars on Clear)
Led motion plus: OFF
Black level: Darkest(this is worth messing with and I will be)
Noise filter: OFF
Gamma: +1(this changes the image balance with every click so be careful smile.gif )
Film mode: Auto
Color: Native
Flesh tone: -8(I had to back this off to get good fleshtones but I like them now)

More to come.....
post #111 of 484 Old 12-03-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I used the disney wow disc for everything. As far as the backlight goes, I like it lower to minimize any light leakage etc. Plus my living room is generally dark so I dont need much backlight.
I finally got the WOW disc and when I adjust contrast/brigthness, I can't see the right vertical bars that are supposed to dissappear when you have the setting dialed in correctly. In the demo/instruction video, it shows the band of bars to the left and right, but when I adjust, I only see the ones on the left!
post #112 of 484 Old 12-03-2013, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselClown View Post

I finally got the WOW disc and when I adjust contrast/brigthness, I can't see the right vertical bars that are supposed to dissappear when you have the setting dialed in correctly. In the demo/instruction video, it shows the band of bars to the left and right, but when I adjust, I only see the ones on the left!

Whats your backlight at? I know I had a hard time getting the white to look crisp white but it finally dialed in.

Use the advanced interface, its alot better than beginner. I found it much easier to get accurate than the bars.
post #113 of 484 Old 12-03-2013, 10:48 PM

Well I've had this TV since Saturday and used the DVE disc. After messing with the settings I came up with this which looks good for TV/sports.

Start off on Standard
Back light - 12
Contrast - 62
Brightness - 52
Sharpness - 25
Color - 38
Tint - 50/50

Advanced settings
Color space - native
White balance - left alone
Gamma - 0
Dynamic contrast - off
Black tone - darkest
Flesh tone - - 2
Motion lighting - off

Picture options
Color tone - cool
Digital noise filter - odd
HDMI black level - low
Film mode - off
Auto motion plus - clear
LED motion plus - On

For movies I'm still playing around with things but this actually looked pretty good to me

Start off on Movie
Back light - 7
Contrast - 85
Brightness - 47
Sharpness - 10
Color - 38
Tint - 52/48

Advanced settings
Color space - native
Gamma - +1
Dynamic contrast - off
Black tone - darkest
Flesh tone - - 8
Motion lighting - off

Picture options
Color tone - cool
Digital noise filter - off
HDMI black level - low
Film mode - off
Auto motion plus - clear
LED motion plus - OFF

Basically when I watch a movie, all I need to do is change it over and then turn off LED motion plus in picture settings and it comes out nice to me.
jeighkub likes this.
post #114 of 484 Old 12-04-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:

The backlight is more to compensate for brighter viewing conditions or darker ones for that matter. usually, in a dark room for movie viewing the backlight can be turned down more. It controls the entire illumination of the panel. Brightness & Contrast control black level and white level respectively. They do seem the same but really arent. Once you get those set you wont likely change them but backlighting will be changed more often, IMO.

I have my gamma set at +1 right now but Im still tweaking this set. Ill have settings done by tonight, Im hoping.

this is good to know. So rather than change brightness to compensate for day/dark room viewing, you can adjuct the back and leave the rest of the control alone? This then keeps the panel shadow detail and color rendition the same. Sweet. I should have thought of that myself. Thanks for continuing to post your settings/tweaks.
post #115 of 484 Old 12-04-2013, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

this is good to know. So rather than change brightness to compensate for day/dark room viewing, you can adjuct the back and leave the rest of the control alone? This then keeps the panel shadow detail and color rendition the same. Sweet. I should have thought of that myself. Thanks for continuing to post your settings/tweaks.

Yep, thats the gist of it anyways. I plan on watching some more "demo" material over the next few days and really work this set out. Im not 100% sold yet but Im about 75% there. Its performing well enough at this point. And, just for the record, dont take my settings as gospel - Im not a professional calibrator and there are people here much smarter than me about this stuff. However, by all means, use them as a strating point if you'd like smile.gif
post #116 of 484 Old 12-04-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesto1 View Post

For movies I'm still playing around with things but this actually looked pretty good to me

Start off on Movie
Back light - 7
Contrast - 85
Brightness - 47
Sharpness - 10
Color - 38
Tint - 52/48

Advanced settings
Color space - native
Gamma - +1
Dynamic contrast - off
Black tone - darkest
Flesh tone - - 8
Motion lighting - off

Picture options
Color tone - cool
HDMI black level - low
Film mode - off
Auto motion plus - clear
LED motion plus - OFF

Basically when I watch a movie, all I need to do is change it over and then turn off LED motion plus in picture settings and it comes out nice to me.

Thanks so much for more settings. I will try these tonight. I have tweaked my TV for awhile and I feel like my skin tones lack a little color for my taste. I have tried multiple blu rays (terminator salvation, hobbit, and more) Could someone tell me how I can give just a touch more color to skin. I guess it would be to increase the reds? Anyone else noticed this TV does not display background object detail very well? My old TV had background detail that showed everything, this TV seems to blur anything that isn't right up close.

Please anyone who feels their settings are better, post them. I have not gotten a setting I am really happy with and if I can never get there I will have to return it. Got my Eye on a VT60 :P

post #117 of 484 Old 12-04-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeighkub View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nesto1 View Post

Start off on Movie

Back light - 7

Contrast - 85

Brightness - 47

Sharpness - 10

Color - 38

Tint - 52/48

Advanced settings

Color space - native

Gamma - +1

Dynamic contrast - off

Black tone - darkest

Flesh tone - - 8

Motion lighting - off

Picture options

Color tone - cool

HDMI black level - low

Film mode - off

Auto motion plus - clear

LED motion plus - OFF

Thanks so much for more settings. I will try these tonight. I have tweaked my TV for awhile and I feel like my skin tones lack a little color for my taste. I have tried multiple blu rays (terminator salvation, hobbit, and more) Could someone tell me how I can give just a touch more color to skin. I guess it would be to increase the reds? Anyone else noticed this TV does not display background object detail very well? My old TV had background detail that showed everything, this TV seems to blur anything that isn't right up close.
Please anyone who feels their settings are better, post them. I have not gotten a setting I am really happy with and if I can never get there I will have to return it. Got my Eye on a VT60 :P

Bump up the Fleshtone value. Thats where I would start for fleshtones. As for details, I havent had any issues with that.
post #118 of 484 Old 12-04-2013, 03:21 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 19
I'd be interested in some of the specifics of this set. I bought the 65EH6000FXZA which I initially assumed was internally identical to this set. Do any of you know what panel version you are getting? I would expect it to be an AU Optronics panel (codes are MHXX and YHXX, next to Version on the back) like all the 65EH6000s.
post #119 of 484 Old 12-04-2013, 06:38 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nxsfan View Post

I'd be interested in some of the specifics of this set. I bought the 65EH6000FXZA which I initially assumed was internally identical to this set. Do any of you know what panel version you are getting? I would expect it to be an AU Optronics panel (codes are MHXX and YHXX, next to Version on the back) like all the 65EH6000s.

MH01
nxsfan likes this.
post #120 of 484 Old 12-04-2013, 06:42 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I made the mistake of bringing this set to my parents house to try it out. Turned it on and there was a gigantic greenish/bluish cloud right in the middle. They wouldn't let me return it and said it didn't bother them. I used the massage method with a microfiber with very low expectations and got a result I've never had before: the entire cloud completely disappeared. It was magic. Thought the whole "massage" method was an urban legend until trying it on this TV. This panel is now the most uniform LCD panel (in terms of flashlighting/clouding/bleed) I have ever owned, more so than the F series. It also felt unlike any LED panel I've touched before. It was very soft and malleable bent way in when massaging. Maybe I picked something up from Zatoichi. Still, the picture is nothing to brag about but fam is absolutely ecstatic with it. I'm pretty satisfied this set surpassed my expectations for a thousand dollar one off LED at this size.
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Series 65 Inch Class Led Hdtv Un65eh6000
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page