70" Vizio vs 70" Sharp vs 75" Samsung -- Please Help!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 11-27-2013, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17

I'm not overly concerned with getting 3D at this point, so I think I have the list narrowed down to the following (3) choices.  Realistically speaking, I probably don't want to spend more than $2,500 but if I am being stupid and overlooking something obvious, please feel free to offer different options/opinions.

1.  70" Vizio E701i-A3 @ $1,698

2.  70" Sharp LC-70LE650 @ $1,679

3.  75" Samsung UN75F6300 @ $2,449

Yes, I realize the Vizio has some BF teaser ads at $998.  I tried picking one up at the Sam's VIP event and missed it.  I'm not a BF shopper and can barely stand Walmart on a "normal" day, so I doubt me standing in line for a great deal is healthy for me or those around me.  I'd love to save the $$$ if possible, but I don't think it's realistic given the fact I'm not willing to participate in the craziness.

Anyhow, I would appreciate pros/cons from those of you that have one of these TV's, or had multiples.  I've seen all 3 in person at Sam's Club.  Based on their feeds & settings (yes, I know) the Samsung looked considerably better and is bigger; therefore, even though it costs more it ranks high w/ me.  The Sharp looked 2nd best and the Vizio kind of looked blah in the store.  Reading reviews, it appears this has to do with settings more than the TV set itself.

Last thing I might mention is the room I am putting this in has quite a few windows.  Right now I have a 55" Panasonic Plasma.  Great TV...just undersized for the room.  Also, it has a gloss screen and picks up reflections like crazy.  I think I need something with a matte finish this time around.  

Looking forward to your comments.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-27-2013, 08:36 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Well, in terms of quality, youre looking at Samsung>>>Sharp>>>Vizio. But theyre all nice.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-27-2013, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackangst View Post

Well, in terms of quality, youre looking at Samsung>>>Sharp>>>Vizio. But theyre all nice.

When looking in the store that is exactly how I would rank them too.  However, with it being Sam's Club where I saw them, I have to assume they are taken out of the box and given a crappy feed.  

When properly calibrated, what sort of PQ differences can I expect to see between the various models?  

Is the Samsung worth the $700 premium for PQ and 5" more size?

post #4 of 14 Old 11-27-2013, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

We went back to Sam's tonight and started analyzing these TV's more closely.  For the same money....the Vizio was eliminated.  Not bad by any means, but the Sharp just looked better and had more controls.  

Also....added the Sharp 80" (LC-80C6500U) to the list.  It looked beautiful.  Had very awesome blacks.  In fact, almost too black as we both thought we needed to tweak a bit so you could better see certain elements in dark scenes.  Cost is normally $3,900 but was marked down to $2,998.  Seemed like a good bargain for the PQ and overall size.  I went ahead and put one on reserve via the Click and Pull system.  So I have tomorrow to maul over the decision.  

Still loving the Samsung.  I believe it has slightly better PQ, but the blacks didn't appear as dark.  The main gripe here is the screen is more glossy...in between a true gloss and matte finish.  It picked up the overhead lights pretty badly in the store.  This concerns me a bit as we are battling window reflections now with the 55" Panasonic plasma.  Maybe someone with the set can chime in and confirm/deny our thoughts?

Anyhow, would love some input since I will be pulling the trigger on Friday.  :)

post #5 of 14 Old 11-27-2013, 10:51 PM

Liked: 13
FYI amazon has the Vizio set now for $1498.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-28-2013, 02:47 AM

Liked: 13
http://store.vizio.com/blackfriday.html 70" now $1299 free shipping
post #7 of 14 Old 11-28-2013, 08:45 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I think it really depends if you are looking for pure size to fit the room better, get the Vizio/Sharp, if you are some diehard about PQ, then get the Samsung. It's a lot more, but the PQ is remarkably better in my opinion.

Just as an aside, I had the same problem in our very large living room with a lot of windows. We don't back to anything so we don't have anything blocking the enormous windows and the glare was very bad on our Samsung. We ended up tinting our windows, you can barely notice it from the inside, it stops 99% of UV rays, we don't have to worry about our blue sofa turning white from constant sunlight, and it makes the room's temperature much more regulated as it blocks heat/uv/glare. Now the glare isn't completely gone, but it's dramatically better. Money well spent. We ended up tinting a few other rooms on the back of the house as well for energy efficiency. I highly recommend looking into it. Good Luck!
post #8 of 14 Old 11-28-2013, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just hung my 75" Samsung last night. I am REALLY REALLY REALLY glad I did NOT go smaller. I would have gone 80" but the size difference vs. quality was not there.

Id go 75" without looking back if your wall supports it. Im sitting 11' back, and Its easy to watch.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-28-2013, 11:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
So I have a large number of windows in our family room and am looking at the samsung vs sharp...

Is the semi matte finish anywhere near as good as the matte finish of the sharp? Sadly I dont have anywhere that I can go see the tv in person.

beyond

post #10 of 14 Old 11-28-2013, 11:37 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazosdog02 View Post

I just hung my 75" Samsung last night. I am REALLY REALLY REALLY glad I did NOT go smaller. I would have gone 80" but the size difference vs. quality was not there.

Id go 75" without looking back if your wall supports it. Im sitting 11' back, and Its easy to watch.

+1. Size matters! We sit 11' from our 75F6400 and the only thing I could conceive of from here is moving to an 84" 4K set next...

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #11 of 14 Old 11-29-2013, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Any of you that have the samsung, is it a good bit less reflective than most Samsung TVs? Really wanting to pull the trigger on this but need sone sort of confirmation on how reflective the screen is

beyond

post #12 of 14 Old 11-29-2013, 02:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the comments everyone. We decided to do the sharp 80". It's a little more costly but the size is better for us. We have a big space to fill plus when the wife says go 80 I'm inclined to agree lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post

Any of you that have the samsung, is it a good bit less reflective than most Samsung TVs? Really wanting to pull the trigger on this but need sone sort of confirmation on how reflective the screen is

I have a Panasonic plasma now with a gloss screen. Comparing that to the in store models it is obviously much more glossy. On a scale of 1-10 with 10 being most glossy and 1 least glossy I would put our current Plasma at a 10. The Samsung wasn't as bad but still very glossy. Probably a 7.5 to 8. The sharp and Vizio had more of a matte finish. They still reflected to but only half as bad if that. If guess a 4-5 ranking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #13 of 14 Old 11-29-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 27
With Vizio, with respect to video quality, you'd really need to compare their M series to the Sharp and Samsung. Not the E series.

post #14 of 14 Old 11-29-2013, 11:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by reinesos View Post

It looked beautiful.  Had very awesome blacks.  In fact, almost too black as we both thought we needed to tweak a bit so you could better see certain elements in dark scenes.

That could be because it is "crushing" the blacks and losing shadow detail. That's also why so many AVSers go for plasma TVs. As long as you can bring out the shadow detail by increasing the brightness a bit, you should be in good shape. And, LED TVs have other advantages over plasma, so it's a matter of how good the overall image quality is to you.

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Vizio E701i A3 Led Hdtv , Sharp He 6 Series Lc70le650u 70 Inch Led Smart Tv , Samsung Electronics Un75f6300 75 Inch Smart Led Tv
Gear in this thread - E701i by PriceGrabber.com