Why did you decide to go with LCD instead of Plasma TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-27-2013, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 29
I do not want this to be an LCD vs. Plasma war thread, but I am curious why so many people prefer LCDs, which seem to have disadvantages such as low motion resolution, low contrast ratio when comparing to plasmas, and not so good black levels. I am aware of all issues related to plasmas, such as burn in, phosphorous trails, hard to calibrate, low brightness.

I also wanted to know what LCDs you would recommend. I only want a small size - 40-42'. I am looking for the best picture quality, deepest blacks, highest REAL/POST CALIBRATION contrast ratio, but I also wish to have a low input lag or at least a Game Mode.

Do not care for the fake 120-600Hz refresh rate motion as real refresh rate is always 60Hz.

I calibrate TVs that I buy so if colors/saturation are not very accurate - I can fix that with calibration. But having them already be more or less on target or at least have enough calibration options to get them on target would be good.

I want a 10pt calibration controls or better and a fully functioning CMS, preferably without the need to use the service menu.

I am not sure about LED backlight... I do not want to have strange halos from partially lit screen... it kills the image IMO. I would prefer slightly lower contrast ratio to halos, but only SLIGHTLY lower one.

If possible, I would models from different price ranges. Cheaper once have lower quality most of the time, but sometimes not... At times you need to get an expensive TV if you really want quality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-27-2013, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
#1. Bright Room!!
#2. I don't like Plasmas (accurate) yet dim and dull colors and brightness no pop no life to the picture unless you are in a dark or Dim room.
#3. Gaming, Samsung LED Offered the Best Input Response time The next Reasonable plasma was almost double the input lag.
#4. Price/ Features, Samsung UN46F6300 46 inches are Known to be 100% No Panel lottery Samsung Made Super Panels meaning for some reason or another Samsung makes all of the 46 inch Panels. No clouding, no flashlighting. And theyfeature 1200 Lines of Moving Resolution. Not many LED LCD's feature the max 1200 Lines of Motion Resolution when images are moving.
#5. Colors Brightness I like how Vibrant, Samsung's TVs are.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-27-2013, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82

I won't disagree with Ice Cold on all his good points, I'd add HEAT as another reason against plasma. After playing with one for a few days in a bright sunroom it would raise the room temperature but many(10+) degrees! Maybe this would be OK on a cold day like today but not in the heat of the summer.

Samsung makes several great looking(vibrant) TVs and I'm also very satisfied with the Sony LCD(upper middle class) I got instead of the Panny plasma I returned. DON'T go for a cheap LCD, unless you like grey blacks and dim whites :) 

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un46f6300 46 Inch Slim Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page