Will this TV work in the US - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-01-2013, 07:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We currently live in Switzerland and bought a samsung ue55F6510 TV. Its a great TV and was hoping it might be able to make it back to the states with us next year. To save money will it work in the US without a transformer? We plan on having it hooked up to an HDMI cable so no worry about NTSC and PAL. Just wanted to make sure the lower voltage would still be fine for the TV. The company will ship the TV so again no worrys on cost of shipping just didnt want to buy a new TV if we didnt have to.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-01-2013, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 228
HDMI has nothing to do with NTSC or PAL. NTSC delivers a frame rate of 30fps at 720x480 aspect. PAL is incompatible with NTSC as it has a frame rate of 25fps at 720x576 aspect. If your tv is a multi-system tv, NTSC-ATSC-PAL then it should work with the US system (ATSC-NTSC). As far as the voltage requirerments go, I'll let someone else discuss that.
post #3 of 11 Old 12-01-2013, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 199
Do you have no access to the manual? Usually information like what the power input is in in the specifications. You can probably Google the manual. I tried but being a foreign TV it took me to the French Samsung site.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-02-2013, 12:02 AM - Thread Starter

I probably should also mention that I currently have the TV hooked up to an HTPC via HDMI where we watch all our movies and TV shows off of either Netflix or off our home server. We do not have plans to hook it up to local cable but would like to hook it up to a OTA once back in the states if it will work with the Antenna. If not no biggie we will just continue to watch shows via the HTPC.

I did a quick search and found the following information.

Power supply (V) AC220 - 240 V 50/60 Hz
This tells me it might not work since it doesn't support 110 or it might not have enough power to function properly in the US

http://www.mediamarkt.at/mcs/product/SAMSUNG-UE55F6510SS,10255,27108,616083.html?langId=-15
DVB-T yes
DVB-C yes
DVB-S2 yes
DLNA certified yes

I couldnt find anything about ATSC or NTSC and PAL. All of our shows that are on our home server are from the US but some of them are .mkv and mp4 and avi so I dont know if that helps either in determining if it will work in the US. I guess I was more worried about the power.

Thank you all for your help.
post #5 of 11 Old 12-02-2013, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 228
DVB-T is Digital Video Broadcast - Terrestrial, and is the European modulation for OTA tv. In the U.S. we use 8-VSB ( 8 level Vestigial SideBand) modulation as the standard for OTA tv. The digital part is ATSC for North America and COFDM for Europe. QAM is the modulation standard for cable. So unless your tv's tuner is "international", it probably won't work for OTA over here in the U.S.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-02-2013, 10:01 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
The power supply must be capable of running on AC 110 volts - its universal.
To use it in the U.S. will have to buy an external set-top-box.
post #7 of 11 Old 12-02-2013, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82

My "guess" is since it says 50/60hz it may also work with our 120v. Personally I try it briefly and see what happens, my guess is the power supply is universal but they just don't say it. I'd be less worried about plugging a 220v device into 120v that the other way around. Low voltage just might not work, double the voltage something is designed for would be sure to cause damage.

OTA HD ATSC tuners start ~$40 from places like Amazon, search for iView 3500 which has HDMI as well as component outputs, oh with a USB HDD it also works as a single channel DVR.

As long as your TV is capable of displaying 60hz(sometimes called NTSC) you should be good to go. I've been told most European TVs(50hz) also support NTSC(60hz) but not necessarily the other way around.

post #8 of 11 Old 12-03-2013, 08:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Based on what you found, 220 -240 v 50/60 hz, it will work fine as long as you plug it into a 240v outlet which is the same as what a large window air conditioner uses, the difference in plug prongs is this for 120v, | | , and this for 240v, - - , of course with a round ground prong. Sorry for the basic description, I'm sending from my phone.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-03-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 82

I've never seen one but I wonder if anyone sells a N. American 220v plug to the Euro socket(two round pins)? One thing that would complicate things is we have so many different sockets for 220v, one vertical one horizontal, both horizontal and then you get into the various range style sockets(all for different amperage devices). Personally I'd still try the device on 120v and see what happened but no guarantees.

post #10 of 11 Old 05-17-2014, 05:07 AM

Hi i'm in the same case. Has it worked ? thank you for your feedbacl :)

post #11 of 11 Old 05-17-2014, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Sacramento delta N. Cal. US Don't trust any air I can't see ☺
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by jradams76 View Post

We currently live in Switzerland and bought a samsung ue55F6510 TV. Its a great TV and was hoping it might be able to make it back to the states with us next year. To save money will it work in the US without a transformer? We plan on having it hooked up to an HDMI cable so no worry about NTSC and PAL. Just wanted to make sure the lower voltage would still be fine for the TV. The company will ship the TV so again no worrys on cost of shipping just didnt want to buy a new TV if we didnt have to.

Thanks

I believe you will need a transformer just get one that matches or exceeds the wattage of your TV .

Hires Music formats ..............."Why does it sound like a CD ?" ............. "can we make it louder "?
"The wireless music box has no commercial value. Who would pay for a message sent to nobody in particular?"
- David Sarnoff's associates at RCA the 1920's -
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Ue55f6510 Tv Led 55 Inch

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page