New Seiki LED TV can't find channels - Page 3 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 68 Old 01-26-2015, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Seiki SE40FY27

I bought mine in December. I have TWC cable and want to use it plugged into cable with no box.
"qam" does not show up as a search option, so all I can get are analog channels. If I directly input a known digital channel (like 3-1), it won't recognize it. I went into the "0000" setup and to "others", but there was not a "other settings", but rather a "general settings". However there was not a "cable qam" or any such thing listed there or anywhere else in the settings.
And of course, I have no place or prompt to put in the 5 digit code discussed here either.
??
The specs for the SE40FY27 says "Digital/analog Channel Auto Tuning". So doesn't that imply that it *should* have qam?
If for some %#^AW reason it *doesn't*, what it the least expensive "qam tuner" I can get? Exactly what am I looking for?
TIA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Page.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	503841  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 68 Old 01-26-2015, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
wow
post #63 of 68 Old 01-26-2015, 01:37 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmachine View Post
I bought mine in December. I have TWC cable and want to use it plugged into cable with no box.
Time Warner Cable has discontinued QAM-from-the-wall last year across the country, which probably explains why your TV isn't finding anything. This new system now requires every TV have a DVR or Cable Box or Digital Transport Adapter (like a mini cable box).

I had several TVs connected to TWC cable directly from the wall (no box) for over 30 years, then around October 2014 most of the QAM channels suddenly stopped working, leaving just a few remaining. And i think those are gone now too.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #64 of 68 Old 01-26-2015, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Time Warner Cable has discontinued QAM-from-the-wall last year across the country, which probably explains why your TV isn't finding anything. This new system now requires every TV have a DVR or Cable Box or Digital Transport Adapter (like a mini cable box).

I had several TVs connected to TWC cable directly from the wall (no box) for over 30 years, then around October 2014 most of the QAM channels suddenly stopped working, leaving just a few remaining. And i think those are gone now too.
post #65 of 68 Old 01-27-2015, 06:57 PM

Okay, found out from Seiki that the Seiki SE40FY27 definitely DOES NOT HAVE A QAM TUNER. Hard to believe on a brand new (current model) 1080p HDTV.
Never the less, it is unfortunate that I wanted to use it with TWC without a box. So the question now is:
What is the most inexpensive QAM tuner I can get and what device specifically am I looking for?
post #66 of 68 Old Yesterday, 08:17 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
No, that's not it. I just unplugged another HDTV from that cable and it was QAM and getting the digital channels just fine.
Ah, well that's a little surprising that QAM is still working for you because Time Warner Cable was supposedly planning to go all-digital on all their networks by the end of 2014. Maybe they haven't gotten to your area yet, but TWC went to a lot of trouble to get the laws changed so that they can now force customers to rent a cable box for all TVs that have always been connected straight to the wall so you should expect QAM to eventually stop working in your zip code. They realized that they can squeeze even more money out of their existing customers by forcing them to rent more boxes for those wall-connected TVs.

Quote:
Okay, found out from Seiki that the Seiki SE40FY27 definitely DOES NOT HAVE A QAM TUNER. Hard to believe on a brand new (current model) 1080p HDTV. Never the less, it is unfortunate that I wanted to use it with TWC without a box. So the question now is: What is the most inexpensive QAM tuner I can get and what device specifically am I looking for?
If you're talking about an external device that will tune TWC channels that you can use with your Seiki TV, i'm pretty sure your only options will be a box that you rent from TWC. They gave me a small "Digital Transport Adapter" (with a really crappy little remote) that i connected to my bedroom TV via HDMI and it's no-charge until January 2016, then after that will cost me $1.50 per month. I ended up buying a backlit TWC DVR Remote on Ebay for $9 to control that little DTA box since i can no longer use the excellent lighted remote that came with my TV.

You should maybe check the TWC forum here on AVS to see what's going on with QAM in your area:

United States THREAD INDEX - Find your local discussion thread HERE

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-loc...nfo-reception/

And maybe contact your local TWC office and see if they're deploying the Digital Transport Adapter in your area, and if so, is it free for the rest of the year like it is in other areas.

What is your zip code if i may ask?

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #67 of 68 Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Ah, well that's a little surprising that QAM is still working for you because Time Warner Cable was supposedly planning to go all-digital on all their networks by the end of 2014. Maybe they haven't gotten to your area yet, but TWC went to a lot of trouble to get the laws changed so that they can now force customers to rent a cable box for all TVs that have always been connected straight to the wall so you should expect QAM to eventually stop working in your zip code. They realized that they can squeeze even more money out of their existing customers by forcing them to rent more boxes for those wall-connected TVs.

If you're talking about an external device that will tune TWC channels that you can use with your Seiki TV, i'm pretty sure your only options will be a box that you rent from TWC. They gave me a small "Digital Transport Adapter" (with a really crappy little remote) that i connected to my bedroom TV via HDMI and it's no-charge until January 2016, then after that will cost me $1.50 per month. I ended up buying a backlit TWC DVR Remote on Ebay for $9 to control that little DTA box since i can no longer use the excellent lighted remote that came with my TV.

You should maybe check the TWC forum here on AVS to see what's going on with QAM in your area:

United States THREAD INDEX - Find your local discussion thread HERE

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/45-loc...nfo-reception/

And maybe contact your local TWC office and see if they're deploying the Digital Transport Adapter in your area, and if so, is it free for the rest of the year like it is in other areas.

What is your zip code if i may ask?

Thanks for the info Randy. I'm in 44001 in Ohio. I've reluctantly come back to TWC after being away for about 6 years. A bit surprised the "box-free connections" were still there. I expected them to be gone by now.
post #68 of 68 Old Today, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Okay, found out from Seiki that the Seiki SE40FY27 definitely DOES NOT HAVE A QAM TUNER. Hard to believe on a brand new (current model) 1080p HDTV.
Never the less, it is unfortunate that I wanted to use it with TWC without a box. So the question now is:
What is the most inexpensive QAM tuner I can get and what device specifically am I looking for?
Here is Seiki's response as to why they don't have a QAM tuner:
"The TV does support ATSC digital channels from over the air broadcasts.
Our newer model TVs do not include a QAM tuner, so a cable converter box or digital adapter (DTA) would be needed. Some cable carriers offer digital adapters at low or no cost.

Since cable companies are no longer required by FCC to provide unencrypted or unscrambled QAM (see http://*******/uKd36y ), we no longer include QAM support in newer models."
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Seiki Digital Se50uy04 50 Inch 4k 120hz Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page