Toshiba L9300U (4K) Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 98 Old 12-14-2013, 07:58 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Attractor makes a valid point. I'm learning that many of the 4k tvs have compatibility issues.  Toshiba tech support told me that the L9300 software was transferred from an earlier model.  I wish I would have wrote down the model of tv Toshiba took the software/firmware from. 

The menus for the 65L9300 are not where the manual says.  Example:  You can not use the L9300 web browser to view Hulu.  The tv complains about an outdated Adobe Flash player.  I've not found out how to update the Flash player in the L9300.  There is a dedicated Hulu link but it's not where the manual says.  Reading across the web, Adobe Flash updates seems to be common problem to HDTVs.  Some? Panasonic models have the same issue with the Flash player.  Hopefully Toshiba keeps the Hulu link updated. 

I've read that WiFi may not have the bandwidth for high resolutions?

I did expect the tv to be backwards compatible (mov & avi files).  I've learned a little about format converters KooRaRoo is a barebones basic converter (server?) that allows me to stream formats other than MPEG.  There may also be a format converter for iPhones.  I've much more to learn. 

The L9300 picture is stunning on 1080p and Wallyworld has a 90-day return policy.  (my opinion)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 98 Old 12-14-2013, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceboii911 View Post

looks like the new owners of these sets are either too busy enjoying them or cursing them to update us with their findings lol

so I tried to find one instore somewhere to check out in person but man, no one in my area seems to carry them

With Mitsubishi out of the game stores like Fry's has a lot of space to put other sets. Don't know the politics of stores but seems like they could pick up other brands to fill in the space.
post #33 of 98 Old 12-15-2013, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by attractor View Post

There is a point about video playback. I went through the L9300U manual and saw that no 4k video is supported. The only 4k content can be displayed from the HDMI port at 4k resolution and 28 or 30 Hz (HDMI 1.4).

I believe all 4k tvs today have the same issue (I looked at Sony's manual also). That is no 4k video playback. This is to be expected as there is no content.

I would buy this tv immediately if there was a firmware update to support 1) HDMI 2.0 and 2) 4K video playback.

Toshiba had promised HDMI 2.0 by the end if the year via firmware, so you may have (1) soon. As for (2), who knows if they will add that, and true, most 4k sets have that issue and I think it is very lame too (not the avi or mov from a phone, that's too specific and who cares, but no 4k even for a still photo to me is pathetic). However not all 4k sets have this issue, the LG and Panasonic can do 4k via USB/YouTube just fine, and the Sammy can only via a hack so it doesn't count.
post #34 of 98 Old 12-15-2013, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Well the end of the year is approaching and I have not heard anything yet. To me it sounds easier to support 4K video playback through an existing (H.264) or a new (H.265) codec rather than supporting HDMI 2.0 which is very low level HW communication protocol. Nonetheless I do hope they are true to their word.

Btw here is a short freeware video which I transcoded to H.264 4K resolution. I wonder if the L9300 Tv can play it and with what resolution.
post #35 of 98 Old 12-17-2013, 10:07 AM
Advanced Member

A lot of people really want that HDMI 2.0 update badly but for what? It's currently completely useless since there are no HDMI 2.0 devices. I'd be happy with a promise of it via firmware like Sony and Toshiba made since you know that you will get it when you need it...come CES I'm sure there will be many devices announced so then it becomes an issue. The other manufacturers should also be clear about their plans to support it (what will it cost for the upgrade, if at all, what will it support exactly when it comes). Those will help make an informed purchase decision right now, but I certainly don't need HDMI 2.0 right now, and neither does anyone else.
tlwiz1 likes this.
post #36 of 98 Old 12-17-2013, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

A lot of people really want that HDMI 2.0 update badly but for what? It's currently completely useless since there are no HDMI 2.0 devices. I'd be happy with a promise of it via firmware like Sony and Toshiba made since you know that you will get it when you need it...come CES I'm sure there will be many devices announced so then it becomes an issue. The other manufacturers should also be clear about their plans to support it (what will it cost for the upgrade, if at all, what will it support exactly when it comes). Those will help make an informed purchase decision right now, but I certainly don't need HDMI 2.0 right now, and neither does anyone else.

I would want it just to be up do date and prepared. You never know what is going to be announced at CES and many are speculating on the arrival of a 4k disc player either next year or the year after. If something is announced at CES, anyone with a current 4k set will want to be 2.0 ready.
post #37 of 98 Old 12-18-2013, 11:50 AM

Just got the 58" version set up in my living room. Upgraded from a 42" 2007 Samsung.

Definitely a big improvement (understatement). The picture is outstanding and the 3D looks great.

Does anyone happen to have a calibration guide for this TV?
post #38 of 98 Old 12-18-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbaybeast View Post

Just got the 58" version set up in my living room. Upgraded from a 42" 2007 Samsung.

Definitely a big improvement (understatement). The picture is outstanding and the 3D looks great.

Does anyone happen to have a calibration guide for this TV?

Is this active or passive 3D?
post #39 of 98 Old 12-18-2013, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

Is this active or passive 3D?

active

Also:
Streaming any type of video vile (.avi, .mkv, .yuv, .mts, etc.) is easily done via a USB 3.0 thumb drive. Just plug it in and it leads you to the files automatically.

Picture is ultra crisp with 4k content (obviously).
post #40 of 98 Old 12-18-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastbaybeast View Post

active

Also:
Streaming any type of video vile (.avi, .mkv, .yuv, .mts, etc.) is easily done via a USB 3.0 thumb drive. Just plug it in and it leads you to the files automatically.

Picture is ultra crisp with 4k content (obviously).

Can you download and see if it can play the video I posted earlier? It is in 4K resolution H.264 codec. Here it is : https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qm1d4olj2qrc3d/1_Sunrise.mp4
post #41 of 98 Old 12-19-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:

Can you download and see if it can play the video I posted earlier? It is in 4K resolution H.264 codec. Here it is : https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qm1d4olj2qrc3d/1_Sunrise.mp4

It brings up a "file not supported" when I try and play that file.
post #42 of 98 Old 12-24-2013, 09:20 AM

I have had my 65l9300 set up for three days . I am still fine tuning it but have had great results watching 3d. It is a passive set which is great. I am using a 4k 3d Samsung player. The picture in normal 1080i looks good. watching a bluray dvd also looks good. I will update this post as I continue to tweak the set.
post #43 of 98 Old 12-24-2013, 12:46 PM

Liked: 12
I should be receiving my 65" version between Christmas and New Years.Will order the Oppo 103D to go with it. I will post later. Ron:)
post #44 of 98 Old 12-26-2013, 10:02 AM

The big pros and cons I've seen after a couple weeks:

Pros-
1. Great 3D. I did not know what I was missing.
2. I am much more aware of how black the black levels are now in movies/games.
3. Great plug and play ability for video files (.mkv, etc.). Some files need the DTS audio converted to AAC to work, though.
4. I really like the CloudTV approach and look. The included keyboard and HTML5 browser are actually quite nice.
5. Lots of settings for picture mode/quality (I am still figuring it all out).
6. Obviously the native 4k is ridiculous. Overall picture quality is very nice when viewing the right source. PS4 looks fantastic.

Cons-
1. Overall software is a bit "clunky".
2. Inability to play 4k video files via USB.
3. Slow transition between video input settings
4. Slow response via remote/keyboard and TV (same goes for included YouTube/Netflix apps)

However, I think most of the cons could be fixed with a software/firmware update. This TV has specs that sound faster than this TV performs. Toshiba did promise HDMI 2.0 at the end of this year, hopefully this will all be fixed soon (wishful thinking?)

Overall, I would say the TV is very solid (58"). I like the construction and look of the set, and the screen itself is only slightly glare-prone. Picture quality is really nice when viewing the right source. I do not use the TV's audio as I have an external 5.1 setup. I give it an 8.5/10 as it stands right now.
post #45 of 98 Old 12-30-2013, 01:34 PM

Doesn't look like Toshiba is going to deliver on that HDMI 2.0 2013 promise.
post #46 of 98 Old 01-01-2014, 12:08 PM

Liked: 12
I hope I am wrong but I can not imagine that the 2.0 hdmi upgrade can be done with a firmware upgrade.I basically got from Toshiba that this product will not be compliant with hdmi 2.0.That said I am not sure how we will be able to get true 4k with this set! I am buying it because it has been listed as one of the best 3D sets available at any price.I may be the minority but I like 3D!!.Hope I am wrong about the hdmi and if anyone knows how we could see any native 4k from this set please post. thanks, Ron
post #47 of 98 Old 01-01-2014, 12:45 PM

You should be able to get 4k into this set through HDMI 1.4 at 24 or 30 frames per second. This is what a 4K upscaling blu ray player or one of the newest GPUs can do today. Right now there are no HDMI 2.0 sources but unless this TV gets the HDMI 2.0 firmware update, as promished by Toshiba, it will not be able to play such content in the future.
post #48 of 98 Old 01-01-2014, 01:14 PM
Advanced Member

Everything I have read has quoted Toshiba as saying they will provide the HDMI 2.0 update via firmware. Now obviously their end of the year quote is off, but I'm sure the topic will come up at their press event at CES, so I would wait and see what they say...

In the meantime, yes a laptop or PC/Mac via HDMI is the only way to see native 4k content on this and almost every other set on the market (Panasonic and LG having a USB option also, Sony has a proprietary player for renting/buying content).
post #49 of 98 Old 01-02-2014, 09:26 AM

I just spoke with a Toshiba rep and this is what he told me. I hope it is not true but if it is they might not support this TV anymore.

You: Is the 65l9300u no longer available

Paul: Hello!

You: hello

Paul: Unfortunately, the TV model above is no longer available.

You: Didn't it just come out

Paul: Yes, but all of our stocks for that model was already sold out so our development team decided to discontinue the model.

You: Are you going to replace it with a new 65" 4k model

Paul: We don't have information when and if we will come up with new model.
post #50 of 98 Old 01-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Advanced Member

I had heard this TV was discontinued as well before. This is not a surprise, I think come CES all current 4k TVs will be discontinued to make way for the next gen models. Especially considering the Toshiba came out well before most of the other ones, I think it is from last January although it didn't hit the stores I think until around summer.

Having said that, it does not necessarily mean they won't support it anymore. It is not uncommon for manufacturers to release new firmware to older sets that they no longer sell. I think you will see a firmware update for HDMI 2.0 soon (my guess, not based on any more concrete information other than what anyone has already read).
post #51 of 98 Old 01-02-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallCoolOne View Post

I had heard this TV was discontinued as well before. This is not a surprise, I think come CES all current 4k TVs will be discontinued to make way for the next gen models. Especially considering the Toshiba came out well before most of the other ones, I think it is from last January although it didn't hit the stores I think until around summer.

Having said that, it does not necessarily mean they won't support it anymore. It is not uncommon for manufacturers to release new firmware to older sets that they no longer sell. I think you will see a firmware update for HDMI 2.0 soon (my guess, not based on any more concrete information other than what anyone has already read).

I hope it's brought up at their CES booth on how they failed to deliver on their word.
post #52 of 98 Old 01-05-2014, 08:28 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

There is a point about video playback. I went through the L9300U manual and saw that no 4k video is supported. The only 4k content can be displayed from the HDMI port at 4k resolution and 28 or 30 Hz (HDMI 1.4).

I believe all 4k tvs today have the same issue (I looked at Sony's manual also). That is no 4k video playback. This is to be expected as there is no content.

I would buy this tv immediately if there was a firmware update to support 1) HDMI 2.0 and 2) 4K video playback

"no 4k video is supported"

-This is not a factual statement, the display clearly supports two UHD 4k resolutions and two refresh rates.

I have a 58L9300 and is does UHD 4k from my Media PC using an FX-799A-6NF9 video card- plays 4k content from youtube, etc. and displays PC content

The manual section attractor is referencing is legalize to cover Toshiba's butt  over the fact that the UHD 4k standard does not "exist" and if the standard changes dramatically they are not liable.  Let me repeat this display does do UHD 4K with the proper output source.. 

post #53 of 98 Old 01-06-2014, 10:16 AM

Liked: 11

Test Devices: Toshiba: 58L9300 U UDH 4K

Toshiba: BDX-6400 Media Box DVD

Sony: SMP-N200 media player

Media PC: FX-799A-6NF9 4k video adapter

WiDi PC: Samsung Series 7 slate

Mobile devices: Nokia N9 and Nokia 808 pureview

Router: BUFFALO AirStation Extreme AC 1750

Reviewer experience level: Uber, nija, jedi, techie geek.

Let me first state, I dislike “smart TV’s”. Basically a “smart TV” is the mash-up of a display and a computer- but think more android tablet then desktop pc. My dislike comes for the fact that 1) it’s a “crippled” computer and 2) the “user interface” for smart TV’s – the remote is the worst way to interface with a computer EVER devised! That said the 58L9300u can be reviewed in two ways, as a smart TV, or as a monitor.

Who watches TV via coax anymore? Today very few people actually watch TV as they use to in the ‘90’s – straight from the cable. The vast majority gets content from a set-top box, or DVR so many people will use the 58L9300 as a “plain TV” – display and speakers.

Cord cutters, if you gave up on the cable companies and you just “watch the internet” for all your content, you have been doing this via a dedicated Media PC or a Laptop in this case you are using even less of the 58L9300 features and it’s just a “dumb display” and you are most likely routing audio over an AV receiver to external speakers.

The 4k issue… plain and simple. No broadcast content exists- since no stations are delivering it. No streaming content exists since little native UHD format content is licensed for streaming (Netflix has announced future availability). Little or no disc based content exists because no native 4k “dvd” players exist. Frankly the 4k UHD standard is so volatile that all manufactures have long legal disclaimers that 4k “may not work in the future” on their sets. The only place you will find 4k content is the internet and on some proprietary media devices like the Sony FMP-X1 “hockey puck”.

That said… The 58L9300 is a fantastic 4k display that CAN –with the right input sources- display stunning 4K UHD content. Now what do I mean by “fantastic”? Fantastic as in, a great quality display panel, with all the right in’s and out’s, and great hardware. Compared to what? Compared to anything you have in your home today!

So the number one issue for 4k UHD TV buyers is….. Upgradability! Just like your computer and mobile device, manufacturer support for updating the firmware is KEY!! So the question to ask is 1) does my purchase have the hardware oomph so that it can be upgraded and 2) will the manufacture upgrade me or abandon me?

So this isn’t a Chinese knock off set, the 58L9300 has class leading features comparable with Sony, Samsung, LG… and I’m not going to focus on the “same-ness” of the products, but I will focus on the pluses.

Major hardware pluses:

These features are important since they are not “upgradable”, the hardware is the hardware.

• It’s a second generation set so it has more cores, CPU’s and GPU’s them competing sets. It is also an in house chip set that Toshiba uses so they have complete control over the hardware/firmware.

• 3 extra inches!!!! Size Matters!!! Really makes a big difference over a 55” display.

• Higher native refresh rate 240 hz then many competitors.

• WiDi support- WiDi is an open standard for wireless transmission of computer display signals…if you never tired it, you don’t know what you are missing. WiDi allows me to display my Series 7 slates screen simultaneously on the 58L9300 exactly as if the Series 7 was connected to the display via HDMI, but WiDi does this over WiFi – note to WiDi HD with 5.1 audio you need a kick ass router.

• Active Shutter 3D

• Hardware keyboard support – Yes a keyboard and a touchpad!!!

Software Pluses:

• Native DivX Plus HD support.

• Software doubling of refresh rate from 240 to 480 – important for sports and action scenes.

• Audyssey built in.

• Internet based firmware upgradable – and we have seen upgrades from Toshiba.

• HDMI CEC and ARC – the Toshiba CEC version is more open then many, unlike Sony who limits CEC functions to Sony only peripherals

• 4K up-scaling

Okay so what is the real reason to get the 58L9300 now? TWO WORDS 4K up-scaling!! Connect a 58L9300 to an up-scaling DVD player or Media box and I will guarantee you the best “2K” 3D movie experience you have ever had in your life! Take a title like Life of Pi, with the BDX-6400 as the player and the 58L9300 as display the 3D is incredible. “2K” 3D is more impressive than using the same hardware to play a “mastered in 4K” title like Battlefield: Los Angeles- since the “mastered in 4K” is lost when pressing to a BD.

Needs Improvement: Not all is perfect… Now this is very subjective…. My point of view is that any dedicated device will do a better job than a “Smart TV”, hence my old Sony SMP-N200 media player is a better DLNA render then the 58L9300, my media PC’s browser is better than the 58L9300 browser. So many of the “complaints” you hear about in blog posts is that people compare the “Smart TV” functions to the experience on a dedicated device. That said the open standard functions work as advertised; I can easily access music, photos and video wirelessly on both the Nokia N9 and 808 pureview as well as my wired Buffalo Linkstation Pro. On the Nokia 808 pureview I can connect an HDMI cable directly to the display (Yes, the 808 has an HDMI out) and display the 38 mega pixel pictures on the 58L9300 in 4K UHD.

***Note the internal renderer will only render up to HD, NOT UHD – this is not a display limitation but a renderer function (see section on no 4K standards existing).

***Also Note the web browser is an open source HTML5 browser… no current FLASH support! But if you know where to look you can find content to render, again issues here is not display but the app.

*** Notable omission- NO Amazon instant video app. (I don’t care since Sony SMP-N200 has brilliant Amazon app, or use media PC). Since I use the 58L9300 as a “dumb display” I have no need for many of the “Smart TV” functions. But as a whole I think Toshiba could improve on the usability of apps a great deal.

Is it the sexiest UDH set? No… but then again I’m not buying a TV for the thinness of the bezel, or how cool the stand looks, and anyway all my sets are on articulating mounts. The remote is functional- but I never use it due to integration with CEC and AV receiver. I’m also not impressed with the sets sound using the internal speakers, but then again hard for me to judge since I haven’t listened to TV without it going through a AV receiver since 1993.

Conclusion: All 4K UHD TV’s are in limbo due to content “un-availability”. BUT both Sony and Toshiba have said that the current gen TV’s will be HDMI 2.0 upgradable via firmware WITHOUT the need to buy an external adapter – In truth HDMI 2.0 will not really impact most content consumption since most content is shot at 24/30fps which the current crop of 4K UHD TV’s support, HDMI 2.0 biggest feature is support for 4K 3D.

The Toshiba 58L9300 has some distinct advantages over the competition; one of the biggest is the extra 3 inches in size. Higher refresh rates. It is active shutter 3D. Supports such geek features as WiDi. Also it is a more open platform then the Sony when it comes to CEC interoperability. Yes CES is just around the corner, but for the price you can’t go wrong.

CATYPH202 likes this.
post #54 of 98 Old 01-13-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 174
I had the chance to test this tv (65" version) today with the LB input lag tester. In game mode or PC mode it comes in at 40ms, which is not great, but not bad when you consider all the processing this tv does. In any other mode, it was about 213ms.
post #55 of 98 Old 01-14-2014, 01:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 693
post #56 of 98 Old 01-14-2014, 02:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

These units just took a big price drop, making it the cheapest 65" 4K unit wink.gif

Where? I still see them as $3599.99 on amazon.
post #57 of 98 Old 01-14-2014, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post

Where? I still see them as $3599.99 on amazon.

Look at Chris's place, Cleveland Plasma.
post #58 of 98 Old 01-14-2014, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 742
Quote:

Only see one Toshiba there: Toshiba 84L9300U (84")

-fafrd
post #59 of 98 Old 01-14-2014, 02:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

-fafrd

I was just guessing he had one.
post #60 of 98 Old 01-14-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked: 693
Quote:

$200 less wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by fafrd View Post

-fafrd
its up
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Toshiba 84l9300u 84 Inch 4k Ultrahd 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Toshiba 65l9300u 65 Inch 4k Ultrahd 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Toshiba 58l9300u 58 Inch 4k Ultrahd 240hz 3d Smart Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page