Sony 4K UHD Media Player FMP-X1 Problems and Solutions Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 62 Old 12-01-2013, 11:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11

Feel free to post any problems and solutions in this thread...  Good luck and Thanks in advance!

I've spent over two hours on the phone with Sony trying to get my new 4K player to work... to no avail, just a promise of a call back Monday or Tuesday after 3 escalations.... ugh I'm sure alot of you have been there... So maybe the REAL experts can help!!! Here goes....

Sony 4k Ultra HD Media Player FMP-X1 connected to a Sony XBR65X900A. Originally, I was getting the error message that says to look at the one page manual with a code 5526. After an hour and a half on the phone with Sony I grabbed another router and hooked up both the TV and Player into it to make sure they were on the same network. Now, I don't get an error message anymore, just the big 4K in the middle in the screen fading in and out with the yellow streaks across the screen (the "loading" animation)

Yes, I have the supplied high speed HDMI cord in output #1 of the player and into HDMI #4 on the TV.

Yes, it is chipped for 4K, (atleast, I assume so because Sony asked for the Serial # of the TV to check...)

Yes, I have triple and quadrupled checked the internet connection and speeds are great)

Yes, I get a green Network light on the lower right front of player.

Yes, I have unplugged everything else around in and the only things plugged in are the player and TV.

Yes, I have unplugged the modem and router and left them unplugged for atleast a minute or so, and the powered them up modem first, then router, etc.... Many, MANY times....

Yes, I let the loading screen on ALL night thinking it may be doing an initial update or getting the 10 free movies...

Yes, I have tried using wifi on the TV and wired for the player...

YES THIS IS QUICKLY DRIVING ME CRAZY!!!!!!

So if anyone has had a similar problem please let me know, ESPECIALLY, if you found a solution...

EJT 1972 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 62 Old 12-14-2013, 06:51 AM

Liked: 12

I am having the same issues, did you ever find a solution.  I have mine hooked up through a Netgear Wi-Fi ethernet adapter.  I can get it to work from time to time but having issues with it freezing or losing connection or not being able to communicate with the TV.  When I finally did get it to work I was able to download Spiderman but I had to go and find it on the 4k ultra streaming it want under the featured part like it says...none of the 10 movies are, I found this strange that none of them downloaded.  Very frustrated also, tired of unplugging and resetting everything.

EJT 1972 likes this.
post #3 of 62 Old 12-28-2013, 04:13 AM

Oh man......, am having the exact problems every thing that you mention is my problem too,

i even change my router address to a us address because am living outside the us,

so i dont have an answer for you but the same problem.

post #4 of 62 Old 12-28-2013, 05:36 PM

Hello all.... i think i find the problem with my sony 4k media player,

my problem was it was not connecting to the internet to update the softwear

i have been battling with it for weeks now,

but i found my problem,if you have your tv. wireless, please hardwire it then unplug everything

and then reconnect it all that is what worked for me,i hope it workes for you to.

sign...out.

Flyin Lion and EJT 1972 like this.
post #5 of 62 Old 12-29-2013, 03:30 AM

Nice. I actually used a Ethernet power line adapter and it worked as well. Since my router is upstairs and TV down, this was perfect for me!!
Flyin Lion likes this.
post #6 of 62 Old 01-30-2014, 12:12 PM

I have the sony 4k TV and 4K player my problem is that every time I played a movie from the player within 4 minutes the player will reset  to the home screen. I called Sony about the problem I spent hours on the phone trying to fix the the problem.  I unplugged and plugged tried a new router, everything that Sony asked I did.  After a hours on the phone Sony told me that they will call me back within one or two days to figure the problem.  I'm a day alway form return the Tv and player back to the store.

Anybody having problems with the player.

Flyin Lion likes this.
post #7 of 62 Old 01-30-2014, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

That's awesome! I just picked up the same thing gonna try it out this weekend, believe it or not still no joy in getting it working... but I set it down for a while for other projects...:cool:

post #8 of 62 Old 01-30-2014, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

OOPS I should have quoted Brl0909.  I have also purchased a powerline ethernet extender.  Sadly, I shouldn't have HAD to purchase ANYTHING else!!!  Ahhh, the price of trying to be cutting edge!!!  I need to move out to the desert where I don't have to try and beat the Joneses!!!!  LOL  Damn they got alot of money too!!

post #9 of 62 Old 01-30-2014, 04:50 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJT 1972 View Post

I have the sony 4k TV and 4K player my problem is that every time I played a movie from the player within 4 minutes the player will reset  to the home screen. I called Sony about the problem I spent hours on the phone trying to fix the the problem.  I unplugged and plugged tried a new router, everything that Sony asked I did.  After a hours on the phone Sony told me that they will call me back within one or two days to figure the problem.  I'm a day alway form return the Tv and player back to the store.
Anybody having problems with the player.

I have almost the same problem. I've tried to play four of the included 4K movies. None would play through to the end without resetting back to the home screen. I tried more than 20 times over three weeks. Sometimes the player would reset in less than 1 minute. Sometimes (twice) the player got as far as 56 minutes before resetting. A few times, the player only reset once during a movie. Most times it would reset 3 to 6 times during a movie. The player was always able to pickup the movie right were it had stopped. There was no pattern to when it stopped any particular movie. I played the same movie 7 or 8 times with different results every time.

I confirmed that both the TV and the player were at the most current software version (both updated themselves when initially connected to the network).

I started with a powerline adapter for the Ethernet connection from the player to the router. I switched to a (temporary) cable running down the hallway and down the stairs to a Linksys 3000 'N' router. Same results. I switched to an ASUS RT-A66R 'AC' router, with and without the powerline adapter. There was never an error recorded by/on the router (thought a network hiccup might be the culprit).

I reported the problem on the SEN support website and was given some less than helpful instruction... they clearly did not read the description of what I had already tried. The next round of email from support said there had been a 'licensing problem' with the initial copy of the movies and that I should re-download the movies. That took more than a day and had no effect. The player still randomly restarted itself. The next email from SEN included a telephone support number to contact for additional help.

The telephone support person had no record of the exchanges with the web support folks. I went through everything again and was told to reset the player by removing the power for at least one minute. I had already said that I had left both the TV and the player unplugged, disconnected from each other and from the router overnight. I was given a problem reference number and told that I would be called by the technical support team for the FMP-X1 within 24 - 48 hours.

I called back after waiting more than 72 hours. The reference number I was given was not for the problem I reported. I went through it all again and eventually was given a new reference number and transferred directly to the next level of support for the player. I was asked to go through it all one more time. At the end of that call I had an 'exchange number' for a replacement player that I should receive in 7 to 10 business days. I also received a phone number for the 'exchange department' so I could call for a tracking number in the next three days (tomorrow). I will have 15 days to return the defective player (box & pre-printed return label) or my credit card will be charged for the replacement player.

I am still optimistic. I have not found any other reports of this kind of problem. Just me and EJT 1972 so far.
post #10 of 62 Old 02-01-2014, 07:54 PM
boe
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Anyone know how to get the 10 free 4k movies?

I was told it came with 10 movies free such as SALT, Bridge over... but I only see them for a paid amount. When I log into the SEN on the computer it says add devices - get your activation codes on screen from the device - I can't find them on my Sony TV or my Sony 4K media player. I am registered through my PC for SEN. I am logged into that account on my FMP (says it in the top right hand corder) - still can't figure out where these activation/redeem codes are or how to get the 10 movies that were supposed to come with the 4K server. I do have many 4K 3 minute films about fish and a band I don't care for to choose from though.
post #11 of 62 Old 02-25-2014, 05:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Sony Projector VPL VW500ES ( Canada) and FMP-X1

Having most of the issues you all have . Using VPNPure geo-unblocker on my PC and the app on my Xperia I have finally managed to put the 4K remote app on the Xperia.

Once the 4K remote app was finally loaded on the Xperia it was necessary to disab;e the geo-unblocker on the Xperia before it would connect to the FMP-X1 server. I went
through the normal start up questions, entered the pin but then was given a screen to update the server software. I am now stuck there. If I select ok to update the necessary
software I get a message saying unable to connect to the server at this time, try again later. Well, later is now three days and I have tried everything.

I'm wondering if the problem lies with the geo-unblocker on individual devices instead of the router. I'm not too technical when it comes to this but from what I have read this
could be a conflict issue since the server apparently does synchronize with the tablet during setup. Just a wild guess I have no idea.

Sony can kiss my business goodbye after this fiasco . What they are doing is punishing the honest patron here. $30K worth of Sony equipment and this is what I get, a week
of grief and misery.
post #12 of 62 Old 03-06-2014, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 155

Anyone here find a solution(s) to make their X1 "error-free"...?

It seems as though a lot of the people who purchased theses are just giving up and junking them and getting rid of them on e-bay...

post #13 of 62 Old 03-07-2014, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes View Post

I've never had a single error with mine.

Many of the problems seem to be people trying to use it outside of the US which it was never meant for.

I suggest you look at some of the reviews...

A lot have problems - a lot are disgusted with the lack of movies that were promised, etc...

http://store.sony.com/gsi/webstore/WFS/SNYNA-SNYUS-Site/en_US/-/USD/ViewProduct-Start?SKU=27-FMPX1

post #14 of 62 Old 03-07-2014, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there a list of movies that Sony "promised"? And is lack of content now considered an "error"?

As a matter of fact, yes - 10 movies...

I was just at an HHGregg store a week ago - and they were still touting the fact that if you bought the X1 - that you would be getting the 10 free movies.

I stated that I had heard that was not the case anymore - that the "deal" expired in 2013.

And was told by the salesperson and the store manager - that I was wrong.

So yeah, people are bring duped into buying these - whether by Sony or by dealers who have no idea what they are talking about - or do, but just want to sell the $700 player.

Several posters in the Sony 4K TV forums on here - have sold their X1 players on ebay for as little as $100 - because they saw no value in it.

I guess my word "error" should have been all-encompassing...

:p

post #15 of 62 Old 03-15-2014, 04:38 PM

I was also under the impression that you still received the 10 free movies. I have no desire to watch puppy wash and the other garbage clips that you get for free. It says on amazon where I bought mine that you get the 10 movies for free. It also states in the FAQ's under customer service in the menu of the media player that the movies are preloaded and free to watch. Sony asked me to jump through hoops and show them where on Amazon it says that, and a total of about 3hrs on the phone with Sony that I'll never get back. I did that and also sent them a picture of where it says in the FAQ's of their media player that you get them for free and Sony will not respond to me. I never realized how poor Sony's customer service really is. I am going to insert the picture that I took on March 3rd 2014 of where it says they get the movies for free with no mention of the offer expiring on December 31st 2013. I paid about $450 for mine and that is about $450 too much. I have owned mostly Samsung televisions over the past few years and am thinking of selling my Sony gear and heading back to Samsung. Hope this helps,I will repost if Sony steps up and honors what they have promised and are clearly keeping their mouths shut regarding the expiration of this offer to clear this inferior product off the shelves for retailers and themselves.Sony faq's.jpg

post #16 of 62 Old 03-16-2014, 08:55 AM

I have read it and it is clear to me. In the top paragraph it refers to the 10 movies and other clips as preloaded bonus material. They are refering to it together (as one). In the bottom it states that ALL bonus material can be watched for free. If its a play of words that is keeping them from honoring what they will and will not do for the people that buy their products. That is just flat out wrong, and shows no respect for the people who purchase their products. Its not as though they have such superior products over their competition that they can have such a cavalier attutude towards their customers. I love my Sony television but as for the media player that is going back to where I bought it.
post #17 of 62 Old 03-16-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you read it carefully it doesn't say which movies are free. They are probably referring to the demo videos. It says it comes pre-loaded with 10 full-length movies which is true, however you still have to buy them.

The Amazon page only mentions a free copy of Elysium. The Q&A section is written by users so you should not take that as gospel.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-FMP-X1-Ultra-Media-Player/dp/B00DBY5XNQ/

They could have made it clearer and I sympathize but as with everything else in life its caveat emptor.

Seriously - that was one pathetic try to be right all the time...

post #18 of 62 Old 03-16-2014, 11:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 80
return it; in its current form, its pretty worthless, def not worth 400+ dollars...
scotty869 likes this.
post #19 of 62 Old 03-16-2014, 11:58 AM

HDTVAV must work for Sony in some capacity. If you spent the time and effort that I have, you might feel the same way that I do. Not sure why he feels the need to post rude comments. I can only surmise He works for Sony or is thin skinned and can't possibly ever be wrong.AKA (Authority syndrome) Go punch the clock at Sony and keep your rude comments to yourself.
post #20 of 62 Old 03-16-2014, 11:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 80
he's a lawyer...'nuff said!
post #21 of 62 Old 03-16-2014, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty869 View Post

HDTVAV must work for Sony in some capacity. If you spent the time and effort that I have, you might feel the same way that I do. Not sure why he feels the need to post rude comments. I can only surmise He works for Sony or is thin skinned and can't possibly ever be wrong.AKA (Authority syndrome) Go punch the clock at Sony and keep your rude comments to yourself.

Ummm, not to explain the obvious... but I was agreeing with you...

If you notice - my post was responding to the post made my benes...

Seems like I am not the one who is a little thin-skinned... ;)

post #22 of 62 Old 03-16-2014, 05:24 PM

My appologies. I misunderstood. Im sorry for starting a pi$$in match. Generally not my style. Sony upset me with making me jump through hoops, and I suppose I am a bit hypercritical about this matter.
post #23 of 62 Old 03-17-2014, 02:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 32
My tablet has been on the "loading screen for over a day now , surely it cannot take that long to download one movie. First message after I ok'd to receive my free Oblivion movie was network or sony server busy. A little later the loading message pops up and stays. If it is downloading , and I hop it is, does it block all other functions during the process?

After Oblivion what is the next best 4K movie available on the server, picture wise that is ? I believe I have most of the latest movies on BD anyway, I just want to compare the best 4K movie available with the 1080 version.
post #24 of 62 Old 03-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 27

My tablet is also stuck on "loading." I think the puck has turned into a brick. When it was working, the "loading" screen didn't last more than a minute.

I've tried rebooting the puck, resetting the tablet, and reinstalling the tablet software.

Anybody have a fix?

post #25 of 62 Old 03-25-2014, 09:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bweissman View Post

My tablet is also stuck on "loading." I think the puck has turned into a brick. When it was working, the "loading" screen didn't last more than a minute.

I've tried rebooting the puck, resetting the tablet, and reinstalling the tablet software.

Anybody have a fix?

Yeah, the consensus seems to be to return the X1 and wait for the new X2 to come out...

post #26 of 62 Old 03-26-2014, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone found any way to communicate with the MediaBox aka Puck?

Mine will not respond to any network protocol. Not ping, telnet, ssh, ftp, http, and I'm out of ideas.

Can any of the USB ports be used to connect it to a computer for possible fsck-ing and repair?

I know I'm grasping at straws here. But my puck is a brick.

post #27 of 62 Old 03-27-2014, 11:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Anybody have a fix?

Quote:

Mine will not respond to any network protocol. Not ping, telnet, ssh, ftp, http, and I'm out of ideas.

Can any of the USB ports be used to connect it to a computer for possible fsck-ing and repair?

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sure they have it double-secret locked down to prevent piracy.

You must still be within the 1 year warranty I assume? Why not just call Sony.

Resolved! While I had a call in to my dealer/installer, I just kept playing with the thing. Here's what worked for me.

1. Exit the stuck 4K Ultra HD Remote app.
  2. Open the list of running apps and remove it from that list.
  3. Go to the Play Store and search for the 4K Ultra HD Remote app and select it. Note the latest version pretty new, March 13, 2014.
  4. In the upper right are two buttons: Uninstall and Open. Uninstall the app.
  5. After the uninstall is complete, reinstall it.
  6. Turn the tablet off and on again.
  7. Run the app. It will prompt for your Sony Entertainment credentials.
  8. It should shortly go through the usual Connecting, Loading screens and this time, (for me at least) succeded!

I hope this helps someone else. Good luck.

post #28 of 62 Old 03-29-2014, 03:15 PM

I had the same problem which I believe occurred after updating the OS of the tablet.  Couldn't figure out how to fix this.  Your technique worked well.  One thing I would add is to leave the puck on while uninstalling/installing.  I had turned mine off and the tablet would not initially recognize it to turn it back on.  I unplugged and replugged the puck and it turned on automatically and connected.

Thanks for posting your solution.

post #29 of 62 Old 04-04-2014, 02:36 PM

I had issues as well, but Sony support were really great for me (but you have to go through to the area that deals with the FMP-X1).

1. Set up is a bit of a hassle because you need to connect the HDMI directly from the unit to the TV (from HDMI1 on the unit to HDMI2 on the TV), you can't go through a receiver. This was on a Sony 84" TV.

2. The 4K app is a bit buggy. If you find the app getting stuck on the loading screen then press home on the tablet, then the app select (two overlaid boxes), hold down your finger on the 4K app window, and select app settings. Clear the data and clear the cache, and force stop the app. Restart the app and it should work.

Hope this helps.

post #30 of 62 Old 04-05-2014, 05:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by x0nkers View Post

I had issues as well, but Sony support were really great for me (but you have to go through to the area that deals with the FMP-X1).

1. Set up is a bit of a hassle because you need to connect the HDMI directly from the unit to the TV (from HDMI1 on the unit to HDMI2 on the TV), you can't go through a receiver. This was on a Sony 84" TV.

2. The 4K app is a bit buggy. If you find the app getting stuck on the loading screen then press home on the tablet, then the app select (two overlaid boxes), hold down your finger on the 4K app window, and select app settings. Clear the data and clear the cache, and force stop the app. Restart the app and it should work.

Hope this helps.

Does the server come with the tablet or just a remote??
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sony Fmp X1 4k Ultra Hd Media Player , Sony Xbr 65x900a 65 Inch 1080p 120hz 3d Led 4k Ultra Hdtv
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page