Dynex 60" LED DX-60D260A13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 21 Old 12-02-2013, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Didn't find a thread for this TV so I decided to start one. Hopefully we can share our findings, reviews, and settings here.

I Just had my Dynex 60" DX-60D260A13 delivered this past weekend after jumping on the deal of the day from best buy for $589.

I've been messing around with the settings in hopes of getting it calibrated and so far I'm a bit disappointed (very early into testing it though). It could be that I have been spoiled by my 47" LG LED, but I will continue to test.

So far using Fios I have these settings: (They look pretty good, but I may need to lower the sharpness a bit.)

Contrast: 65
Brightness: 42
Color: 42
Tint: R2
Sharpness 65
Advance Video: everything is off, with the exception of the 120 refresh rate running at Normal. (I had the 120 refresh setting at high last night during "The Walking Dead HD" and there seemed to be some terrible blur on certain scenes.) I then lowered it to Normal.

I will report back after I run WOW calibration BR and testing it with my PS3, Xbox 360, and Wii U.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-03-2013, 05:13 AM
Senior Writer @ AVS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked: 1614
Even the specs indicate that it's not going to match the LG. As inflated as the figures are, the LG's dynamic contrast is listed as four million to one, whereas the Dynex is listed as twelve thousand to one. That said, 60" for $600 is so inexpensive that I'm not surprised something had to give. Good luck with your tweaking; I used to have a Dynex TV and found that with tweaking it could look rather good, if not spectacular.

Find out more about Mark Henninger at www.imagicdigital.com
post #3 of 21 Old 12-03-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

I ran the Disney WOW Blu-Ray last night using the PS3 and I have some good news. After the calibration, I was able to get the picture looking pretty spectacular.

Here are the new settings:

Custom:

Contrast: 58
Brightness: 44
Color: 50
Tint: 0
Sharpness: 45
Backlight: 30
Advanced Video: everything off with the exception of the 120 Refresh. I have it set to "Normal".

The colors, the sharpness, the contrast all look pretty brilliant. I played the WOW experience, some Netflix and played a few Wipeout HD sessions and was very satisfied.

I played MLB the Show 13 with my son last night before the changes and I wasn't very happy. I also had to turn off the 120 refresh due to the lag, but I will test again tonight with these new settings. I would guess that shooters and baseball games will need to have the 120 off due to the lag and accuracy of the shot and pitch So i can adjust the "Game Mode" setting to match that of the "Custom" I created within the service menu. To access the service menu enter "Input" followed by the numbers 2.5.8.0. You can make the changes to the "Game mode" in there to have it set to your preferred settings. (Game Mode by default will have the 120 Refresh set to Off.

I will report back later with more findings.
imagic likes this.
post #4 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 11:20 AM

Liked: 10

Hi! 

How can I get the digital audio to output on my Dynex DX-60D260A13?

I am connecting to a Sony soundbar, but cannot get any sound out of it.

I have read that for some TVs you need to turn off the internal speakers to get the digital audio output to work. Is this the case for the  DX-60D260A13? If so, how do I turn them off?

If that's not the problem, why do you think I can't get sound to the soundbar?

Thank you!

post #5 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by northportfl View Post

Hi! 

How can I get the digital audio to output on my Dynex DX-60D260A13?

I am connecting to a Sony soundbar, but cannot get any sound out of it.

I have read that for some TVs you need to turn off the internal speakers to get the digital audio output to work. Is this the case for the  DX-60D260A13? If so, how do I turn them off?

If that's not the problem, why do you think I can't get sound to the soundbar?

Thank you!

Umm not too sure, I don't use a sound bar, however, I plan on setting up my old school Sony receiver and speakers to it tonight (old school but does have optical in). The speakers on the Panel are awful. I think they even make the picture look bad (not technically, but something about it).

Anyway, I've read somewhere that people had issues with sound bars, but not the sound, rather the simultaneous sound from both the sound bar and speakers. For some reason the folks that have tried it couldn't disable the speakers on the TV. I'm guessing that I will find out today when I hook up my receiver. If you need to check the service menu do the following: press "input" followed by the numbers: 2580. That will bring up the service menu on the top left corner. Maybe you can check there and let us know what you find.

I'll report back tonight. I've been testing the TV all week with different media, games, FiOS.

How are you liking the picture quality btw?
post #6 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 03:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll go check out the service menu.

Picture quality looks good to me. I haven't tried tweaking it yet.  Lots to learn about that!

post #7 of 21 Old 12-05-2013, 03:43 PM

There are some interesting things accessible through the service menu -- there's one that cycles through the various colors full-screen that I think my wife may like for the disco light effect -- but nothing obviously related to getting the optical digital output to work.

Of course I was scared to change anything where they asked, "Are you sure?" first.

post #8 of 21 Old 12-06-2013, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

I hooked up my receiver last night and didn't have any issues with the sound at all. I lowered the volume on my TV and the receiver sound was fine. Could be an issue with particular sound bars or all soundbars. Perhaps contacting Dynex would spark up a future firmware update.
post #9 of 21 Old 12-06-2013, 12:16 PM

Thank you. I am using a Sony HT-CT60 soundbar.

I contacted Sony for support and they said:

<<I understand that you are not getting sound from the soundbar connecting with the Optical Connection....

As you are not getting sound from the Optical connection, below are some possible causes for this issue:

? The connected home theater or stereo system is not set to properly decode the digital signal.
? The TV is not tuned to a digital channel.
? The optical cable is not securely connected.
? The optical cable may be faulty.

Follow the steps below to troubleshoot if the optical jack does not appear to be working.

1. Make sure the home theater or stereo system is set to the appropriate input and mode for the optical connection.
2. Make sure the optical cable is firmly connected to both the TV and the home theater or stereo system.
3. Try changing the channel on the TV to another digital broadcast.
4. Go into the Sound or Speakers menu of the TV and select External Speakers or Audio System.
5. If the issue is still not resolved, try replacing the optical cable.>>

The digital optical cable I am using came with the HT-CT60. I have ordered another from Monoprice but do not yet have it.

My reply to Sony support was:

"I appreciate the response.

Regarding the steps you recommend:

<<1. Make sure the home theater or stereo system is set to the appropriate input and mode for the optical connection.>>

Done. Problem remains.

<<2. Make sure the optical cable is firmly connected to both the TV and the home theater or stereo system.>> 

Done. Problem remains.

<<3. Try changing the channel on the TV to another digital broadcast.>>

Done. Problem remains.

<<4. Go into the Sound or Speakers menu of the TV and select External Speakers or Audio System.>>

Done. [This is a slight mis-statement, as I have not found any such setting for the DX-60D260A13.] Problem remains.

<<5. If the issue is still not resolved, try replacing the optical cable.>>

Apparently you provided me with a faulty optical cable? If you believe this is the problem, could you please ship a new one to:..."

I have not yet tried connecting the digital optical cable directly from the cablebox to the soundbar (bypassing my TV), but that is my next step to test things out. Even if it works, I don't want to do this long term because it wouldn't cover the Apple TV.

I appreciate your help, thanks!

post #10 of 21 Old 12-06-2013, 01:00 PM

Well, I just hooked the Sony HT-CT60 soundbar up to the cable box, bypassing the DX-60D260A13.  It worked fine.

So this leads me to think the problem has to be with either the settings on the TV or the TV's digital optical output.

Do you have any more thoughts about this?

Thanks again!

post #11 of 21 Old 12-06-2013, 08:02 PM

Desz,

It's great to know that the digital audio output works for you.

I guess I'll wait for the digital coax cable from Monoprice and see if that works with the DX-60D260A13 TV and the Sony HT-CT60 soundbar.

If so, I doubt I would notice any difference between the digital coax and optical digital audio cables. Do you agree?

Thanks!

post #12 of 21 Old 12-06-2013, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by northportfl View Post

Desz,

It's great to know that the digital audio output works for you.

I guess I'll wait for the digital coax cable from Monoprice and see if that works with the DX-60D260A13 TV and the Sony HT-CT60 soundbar.

If so, I doubt I would notice any difference between the digital coax and optical digital audio cables. Do you agree?

Thanks!

Yeah you shouldn't notice any sound difference, if anything many people prefer coax for sound, might turn out better for your situation. It's funny because I need to order a coax cable too. I can't find the one I use for my sub. Might go ahead and order the wall mount at the same time.
post #13 of 21 Old 12-06-2013, 10:26 PM

I'm glad to hear the digital coax cable should work well for me.

Regarding mounts, I'm using the OmniMount OS120F Fixed TV Mount for 37-Inch to 70-Inch TVs.  Worked well for me, very solid. I didn't need it to tilt or pan, but I wanted one with the ability to slide the TV laterally so it didn't have to remain centered between the studs.

post #14 of 21 Old 12-11-2013, 01:17 PM

Somehow I had it in my mind that the Dynex DX-60D260A13 had digital coax output.

Now I can't find such an output or a reference to it in the manual.

Does the DX-60D260A13 not have digital coax output?

Thanks!

post #15 of 21 Old 12-11-2013, 01:52 PM

OK, now I've got the cable box hooked to the Sony HT-CT60 through optical digital and the Apple TV hooked to the HT-CT60 soundbar through digital coax.

So the audio isn't going through the DX-60D260A13 at all (unless I have its internal speakers on, of course).

Seems to work!

post #16 of 21 Old 12-12-2013, 02:33 PM - Thread Starter

I was just about to recommend that. Crazy thing is that I actually bought a Vizio 2.1 soundbar with subwoofer. Got a really good deal. So I will be testing that this weekend.

I will be posting my final review for the Dynex soon. So far the only issue I have is the motion blur on certain shows. Funny thing about it, is that it performs great with sports. (Football, Hockey, Boxing, Winter sports and video games,. ) It's only certain movements while there's a busy background. I'll cover all that. Still need to order a wall mount. Decided to go with an articulating mount. Not sure which one yet though.
post #17 of 21 Old 12-12-2013, 04:39 PM

Desz,

I'll be eager to see your final review of the DX-60D260A13.

So far my only problem has been with the optical digital output. 

To date I'm using the standard video settings on the TV, and pretty much the standard audio settings on the Sony HT-CT60 soundbar.

I'm quite satisfied with the overall quality of the TV, though I have noticed the motion blur you speak of.  (I haven't watched any sports or played any video games on it yet.)

For a while I had the soundbar fastened to the top of the TV using 3M Command picture hanging strips (sort of a velcro approach). Unfortunately the surface of the soundbar had a fabric covering so it really didn't hold that well.

I finally got the soundbar wall-mounted above the TV last night -- I kept getting screws with heads just slightly too big for the plastic slots on the soundbar. I ended up taking the soundbar down to Ace Hardware where they fixed me right up at a cost of 20 cents for 2 well-fitting screws. 

post #18 of 21 Old 12-16-2013, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to share with you that I have tested my VIZIO SB4021M-B1 40-Inch 2.1 Home Theater Sound Bar with Wireless Subwoofer without any issues. It worked perfect with Optical cable. I lowered my sound completely on the tv and have been using the soundbar's sound exclusively. So it appears that it's not all soundbars. Just though you'd like to know.
post #19 of 21 Old 12-16-2013, 09:17 PM

Desz,

Thank you. 

My Sony HT-CT60 soundbar works fine with an optical cable, too (as well as a coax cable). My problem is with the optical output from the DX-60D260A13, but as I am not using that connection now it is not currently an issue for me.

Looking forward to your review!

post #20 of 21 Old 12-21-2013, 08:30 PM

Could someone post what they have their settings calibrated at for this 60" dynex?

post #21 of 21 Old 01-03-2014, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

For those looking for some decent settings, I have tested some new settings using "Game Mode" on almost everything and have found it too look pretty incredible.

here are the new settings: (I ended up returning the TV after finding another deal that I couldn't pass up for an LG 60", but I felt that sharing the settings that worked for me, may work for someone out there or at least get it looking pretty close.)

"Game Mode" (Adjusted within the service menu) I did this so I wouldn't have to change modes when playing games or watching movies.

**Calibrated with both WOW Blu-Ray and AVShd709**

Contrast: 50
Brightness: 50
Color: 45 (used the blue tint to calibrate)
Tint: R3 (used the blue tint to calibrate)
Sharpness 42
Advance Video: everything is off.

(I have also found that turning off "Gamma" within the service menu removes the cloudy layer on the picture especially on "Fios/Cable/Netflix" (Blu-rays look spectacular either way), however, the "Gamma" setting turns back on when the TV is powered off. If anybody knows how to keep the "Gamma" off in the service menu, please share with us. i would love to keep Gamma off.

***(Service menu is accessed by pressing the input button followed by 2-5-8-0)***

I have found that 120hz motion works best with Blu-rays. Using the 120hz on netflix, or any other 720p channel or media causes more of Blur and Jitter. I kept it off anyway. I found it to perform very well without 120hz. I will add that turning the 120hz motion feature on improved the lighting on the panel. Made everything look less washed out, but I prefer less blur and jitter on my media.

Movies/Blu-Rays:

Ironman 3 Looks incredible with these settings. Great looking Blu-Ray to show off your new calibrated 60" Dynex.
Pacific Rim looks outstanding. The blacks on the film look deep and the picture quality is crisp. Very great film to test your calibration. I did notice more blur on this film than with Ironman 3, I actually didn't notice any blur at all when watching Ironman 3.

I played several fast actioned games on the PS3:

Video Games:

Vanquished is very fast paced and it performed and looked beautiful using the "Game Mode" Settings listed above.

WipeOut HD performed and performed beautiful

Super Mario 3D World played and looked beautiful using the same "Game Mode" Settings.

Sports:
Sports perform fine with 120hz on or off. I didn't notice any huge differences.

Sound:

I'm currently using the VIZIO SB4021M-B1 40-Inch 2.1 Home Theater Sound Bar with optical out from TV and it works perfect! No optical issues and sure beats the TV's speakers.

(***One last thing. This TV had no light clouding at all.***)

Please share your settings and your findings!

Thanks!
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page