Is this much bleeding normal? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-04-2013, 09:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I just bought a Vizio E550i-A0 and the picture looks like this:

I've read that some bleeding is common for backlit LEDs but this seems excessive. I guess I just want some other opinions before returning.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-04-2013, 11:09 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 27
In my opinion that is not bad at all. Search your TV in the LCD Display section and see if anyone has posted picture settings or get a calibration disk and make the adjustments to brightness and backlighting that amount of flash lighting should go away or be greatly reduced. As your tv gets some age on it this should go away completely.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-05-2013, 08:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the reply RollTide. There isn't a whole lot of calibration information for this specific model. I've looked all over the interweb. I did use the AVSHD calibration disk to calibrate it which helped w/ the color, etc but the clouding and bleeding is such an eye sore on dark screens in movies that's its really a distraction. I was considering exchanging it for another but it seems like it's just a crap shoot. Does age really help w/ bleeding/flashlighting? I've read articles that say it won't get any better over time.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-05-2013, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I wouldn't put much hope on improvement of clouding over time. This afirmation lacks substancial proof.
Even if there is any factor that could possibly have an influence on the appearance of clouding over time, there's no reason to believe that it would make it any better... it could actually make it worse.
In my opinion the clouding looks pretty bad in this picture...
If it looks as bad as this in reality, I would exchange it right away.
Getting on the way of normal content viewing is more than enough reason to consider it pretty bad clouding.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-05-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkl10 View Post

I wouldn't put much hope on improvement of clouding over time. This afirmation lacks substancial proof.
Even if there is any factor that could possibly have an influence on the appearance of clouding over time, there's no reason to believe that it would make it any better... it could actually make it worse.
In my opinion the clouding looks pretty bad in this picture...
If it looks as bad as this in reality, I would exchange it right away.
Getting on the way of normal content viewing is more than enough reason to consider it pretty bad clouding.

All opinions about about flashlighting and clouding i am giving base upon my personal experience with two LED edgelit TVs that i have in my home, both are Samsung TVs, a UN55D8000 and a UN40ES6500. Both models exhibited clouding equal to or worse than is represented in the OPs picture, The UN55D8000 was purchased in August of 2011 and today if a solid black screen as in the OP in a dark room i now have a solid black screen this is also the case with my UN40ES6500. I am on the road traveling but i do have a picture of my 40es6500 in a dark room which i'll post when i get back to my hotel.
I havent performed any magical screen massaging only calibrated the picture setting using Disney WOW disk. cool.gif
post #6 of 7 Old 12-05-2013, 02:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 60
No one is denying your experience.
The point is that accounting for any possibility of clouding changing over time, there's no reason to believe more that it will get better as it can also get worse.
I've read accounts of both things happening, but it is very much a matter of chance whether this will go one way or another because LCD manufacturing tolerances cannot be so strict that every single TV looks the same.
The most probable things is that it will remain the same.
So it's not a wise bet to keep an unit which has this issue from the begining .
And really not a wise to advice to keep it, what happened to your set won't necessarilly happen to others.
These sort of issues also can't be eliminated through calibration.
If the issue gets in the way of enjoyment it's much wiser to exchange it while still possible.
... But the OP for some reason decided to open another thread about the issue so this is moot.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-05-2013, 07:11 PM

image.jpg 453k .jpg file

image.jpg 844k .jpg file

image.jpg 564k .jpg file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (453.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (843.8 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (563.7 KB, 19 views)
Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Samsung Un55d8000 55 Inch 1080p 240 Hz 3d Led Hdtv Silver 2011 Model , Samsung Un40es6500 40 Inch 1080p 120 Hz 3d Slim Led Hdtv
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page