Stuck between LC80-857 and demo LC90-657 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 12-08-2013, 08:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

Hi!

I was an avid home theater buff years ago.  I actually bought one of the first HD tv's from Mits way back in 1999.  My 'ol CRT projection has been working fantastic, but it's time to put it to rest.  It's had a good life.  I've really been out of the loop for so long, it's a whole new process trying to figure out what's what these days.

I've spent the last 2 weeks reading and searching threads on this and other forums.  I can't can't seem to get a good idea of what I should do so I'll ask for some comments:

I have on order (I asked the delivery to be delayed a couple of weeks) a new Sharp 80" 857 that I purchased for $4500.  But I'm thinking of cancelling that and getting a store demo 90" 657 for $6000. Space isn't an issue, I can adjust for either.  The 90" might get a little tight though.  While the extra $1500 is a lot for me, I can deal with it.

Questions:

1)  I probably spend more time playing video games then watching movies.  I can't find lag data on the 90-657.  Any ideas which is better from a gaming stand point?  I'm not a hard core on-line player, but I do enjoy playing various games.  I'm not sure if lag is as big of a deal as searches would indicate?

2) I can't compare the 2 side by side.  Is the picture any different between the two?  Should I be concerned with the 120hz only on the 90"?  I know the 90" is back lit.

3) Any concerns with a store demo?  LED's aren't that sensitive to on time, correct?

4) The demo 90" has 3 stuck pixles.  It probably won't bother me, but is this cause for alarm?

Thanks for the help - it feels weird tv shopping after all these years.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-08-2013, 09:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 285
I personally wouldn't spend $1500 more on a TV that already has 3 stuck pixels that may not bother you today, but will down the road (especially if a few more pop up). Why? Because you know that they are there and will always notice them. wink.gif

And... heaven knows what other evils may be lurking in a store demo.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-09-2013, 09:02 AM - Thread Starter

Any other comments regarding these two?  I would think there would be more comparisons made between the two but I can't find anything.  forgetting the size difference, which is the better set?

post #4 of 16 Old 12-12-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter

So after a few more days of trying to figure out which set I wanted, I gave up trying to decide and I bought both.  I'm leaning towards keeping the 80" 857, and since the 90" was already an open box buy I won't feel guilty about returning it.  I have a large van, so I'll pick them this weekend. I'm going to set them both up, do a simple color adjustment with the Disney WOW disc on them,  and compare side by side.  I'll see if I can tell a difference in the picture quality and if anything justifiys one set or the other.  I'm curious if there is a difference in the lag on them while playing video games too.  If anyone is interested as well let me know and I'll make some comments afterwards.

post #5 of 16 Old 12-19-2013, 09:13 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhugger View Post

So after a few more days of trying to figure out which set I wanted, I gave up trying to decide and I bought both.  I'm leaning towards keeping the 80" 857, and since the 90" was already an open box buy I won't feel guilty about returning it.  I have a large van, so I'll pick them this weekend. I'm going to set them both up, do a simple color adjustment with the Disney WOW disc on them,  and compare side by side.  I'll see if I can tell a difference in the picture quality and if anything justifiys one set or the other.  I'm curious if there is a difference in the lag on them while playing video games too.  If anyone is interested as well let me know and I'll make some comments afterwards.

Well? What do you think?
We are all on the edge of our seats as to which one is the winner.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-19-2013, 09:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 47
While the price for the 90" sounds pretty good, it's the 3 pixels that would bother me the most. I think the WOW disc has a 'pixel flipper' pattern that you can use to try and "unstuck" the pixels. If that works, then I would definitely choose the 90".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-20-2013, 06:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgaiduk View Post

Well? What do you think?
We are all on the edge of our seats as to which one is the winner.

Last Saturday was the day I had planned to get and test both TV's.  I have a large van, so I went and picked up the new, 80" and stand first.  I was planning on stopping to pick up the 90" on the way back to my house.  After I loaded the 80" into the van and started looking at it sitting there the idea of needing the 90" started to seem rediculous.  On the way to get the 90" I decided not to mess with it, and instead of picking it up I went in and cancelled the order.

At first I was glad I did, since lugging the 80" and setting it up turned out to be a lot more work then I though it would be.  The whole time I was thinking I'm happy I didn't have both and had to take one of them back.

But after having the 80" for almost a week now, I'm starting to regret not getting the 90".  I can live with a couple of stuck pixels.  I just might end up switching these out yet...

I'm also thinking about waiting until early January to see if they drop the price on the 90", then I can exchange the 80" for a new 90".  The new 80" does have a bit more clouding then I think it should, and already has 1 stuck pixel.

post #8 of 16 Old 12-20-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Another option: wait a beat and get an 84" 4K set when they ship with hdmi. 2.0. The current LG can be had for around. $8-9k so it's not inconceivable that they street within spitting distance of. $6k if you can wait. They'll all likely be announced at CES in January and ship throughout the year. This future proofs you for 4K and splits the size difference bt the. 80 and. 90

Sorry for all the periods. My iPad is acting up and I'm too lazy to go remove them all !

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #9 of 16 Old 12-20-2013, 07:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonymoody View Post

Another option: wait a beat and get an 84" 4K set when they ship with hdmi. 2.0. The current LG can be had for around. $8-9k so it's not inconceivable that they street within spitting distance of. $6k if you can wait. They'll all likely be announced at CES in January and ship throughout the year. This future proofs you for 4K and splits the size difference bt the. 80 and. 90

Sorry for all the periods. My iPad is acting up and I'm too lazy to go remove them all !

Where can you find the LG 84" for $8-9k?  My usual sources still show $14k-$16k.

post #10 of 16 Old 12-20-2013, 07:36 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffhugger View Post

Where can you find the LG 84" for $8-9k?  My usual sources still show $14k-$16k.

Talk to Chris at Cleveland Plasma, a forum sponsor.

NB however I would not get the current set if your intent is to future proof yourself as LG seems unlikely to update the current sets for hdmi 2.0/hdcp 2.2.

Stuck up, half witted, scruffy looking, nerf herder.
Double True!
post #11 of 16 Old 12-23-2013, 06:36 PM

If you are not sure which one you want maybe this will help. I too was really bothered by the specs of the 80" vs. the 90". I can now say after being able to try them under real world conditions (my living room), that I want the 90 so long as it works as it is supposed to! I very recently returned my 90LE657U due to the dark bars on either side and I got the 80LE857 instead. I watched the 90 inch for about a week or so and then have watched the 80 for over a week now. (It came in flawed also, leaking light from the bottom corners of the frame and in my wall mount left extremely visible white lines on the wall for about a foot or so at the bottom corners on either side of the TV in the evening).

We really felt the size difference was major for us and the picture on the 90 was every bit as good as the 80 even though the 'specs' would lead you to believe otherwise. I am getting another 90 in a day or so and can hardly wait! Only thing though, if this 90 comes with the bars I will be one very angry Sharp ex-customer!  $10k is a lot of coin to shell out and the amount of hassle we have gone through because of their Q/C is frustrating as well. Thank God we bought at the big box store that was willing to bring one TV after another in for us at no charge, price matching anything we could find advertised with a 30 day price guarantee to boot! I will post again in a week or so if everything works out.

post #12 of 16 Old 12-24-2013, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemerphreak View Post

If you are not sure which one you want maybe this will help. I too was really bothered by the specs of the 80" vs. the 90". I can now say after being able to try them under real world conditions (my living room), that I want the 90 so long as it works as it is supposed to! I very recently returned my 90LE657U due to the dark bars on either side and I got the 80LE857 instead. I watched the 90 inch for about a week or so and then have watched the 80 for over a week now. (It came in flawed also, leaking light from the bottom corners of the frame and in my wall mount left extremely visible white lines on the wall for about a foot or so at the bottom corners on either side of the TV in the evening).

We really felt the size difference was major for us and the picture on the 90 was every bit as good as the 80 even though the 'specs' would lead you to believe otherwise. I am getting another 90 in a day or so and can hardly wait! Only thing though, if this 90 comes with the bars I will be one very angry Sharp ex-customer!  $10k is a lot of coin to shell out and the amount of hassle we have gone through because of their Q/C is frustrating as well. Thank God we bought at the big box store that was willing to bring one TV after another in for us at no charge, price matching anything we could find advertised with a 30 day price guarantee to boot! I will post again in a week or so if everything works out.

Thanks for the info.  I'm stil on the fence.  It's a tough call.  It would be tough for me at this point to walk back into the store that had the 90" display model and tell them I want it again after I already made them wrap it and unwrap it once. (I was there to pick it up the first time when I canceled the order).  What I still can't find info on though is what the lag time differences are between the two since I play a decent amount of video games.  The specs for the 80" say it has an "advanced video game mode" while the specs for the 90" only say "video game mode".  No one at Sharp can tell me the difference.

Let me know how your second 90" works out.

post #13 of 16 Old 01-10-2014, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Any update?

They are coming tommorrow to exchange my lc80le857 for a new lc90le657.  At this point I'm just hoping the extra screen size is worth it.  I decided to go with a new 90" instead of the display model I originally found.  I was able to get in writing a 60 day price protection, so I'm covered if the price drops between now and March 11th.

I'm still a little worried about the drop in contrast ratio between the two sets.

post #14 of 16 Old 01-16-2014, 04:31 PM

So I have finally gotten around to a reply and see that you have purchased the 90 as well. I am just thrilled I did!!! The 3D is second to none and as far as contrast ratio I have no qualms about my choice. I had the opportunity to view both sets in my own living room for over two weeks each. I had them both hooked up to my PS3 and PS4 and I don't see any 'lag' or refresh problems at all. Just a wonderful wall of game! I have only played battle Field 4 and Ghosts on them both but I loved it more on the 90. In fact I loved everything more on the 90 because... well... its JUST MORE! Or as Johnny Depp said in Alice in Wonderland it's much muchier. I hope you are enjoying your TV as much as I am enjoying mine! ;-)

post #15 of 16 Old 01-17-2014, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

So I have finally gotten around to a reply and see that you have purchased the 90 as well. I am just thrilled I did!!! The 3D is second to none and as far as contrast ratio I have no qualms about my choice. I had the opportunity to view both sets in my own living room for over two weeks each. I had them both hooked up to my PS3 and PS4 and I don't see any 'lag' or refresh problems at all. Just a wonderful wall of game! I have only played battle Field 4 and Ghosts on them both but I loved it more on the 90. In fact I loved everything more on the 90 because... well... its JUST MORE! Or as Johnny Depp said in Alice in Wonderland it's much muchier. I hope you are enjoying your TV as much as I am enjoying mine! ;-)

I will say the 90" is very impressive form a sheer size standpoint.  I did notice a slight loss of detail in some dark scenes with the 90", but it could be in my mind. Without having both on next to each other at the same time it's hard to say.

The only concerns I have with 90" is even in game mode, I had to add 150ms delay to the audio in my reciever to keep everything sync'd.  Did you have to do anything???  With the 80-857 I didn't have to add any delay.  That concerns me a bit, as it seems to indicate the audio is far behind.  But I haven't noticed anything while playing video games.  I pull the trigger, and it seems like the action follows instantly on the screen.

For the most part, I'm loving the set.  My biggest disapointment so far is I had ABT deliver this set, and they were in such a hurry they figured it would be easiest to get the set in my house if they took it out of the box first.  Before I could blink they had it unpacked on my driveway....I was looking foward to opening it my self.  It's not everyday I get to unbox a 90" tv.

post #16 of 16 Old 01-27-2014, 10:58 AM

You may be right about the detail in the darker areas of the screen. I thought so to but it didn't really bother me. I just had the guys come and calibrate the TV on Saturday(Jan 25.14). It took about 2.5 hours or so but wow was it worth it!!! No problem on the detail in the grey to black areas and the colors and even the refresh rate all benefited from this calibration. It did cost me another couple of hundred bucks but it was worth every cent IMHO! ;-)

Reply LCD Flat Panel Displays

Tags
Sharp He Lc 80le857u 80 Inch 3d Smart Led Hdtv , Sharp Lc 90le657 90 Inch Led 3d Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 80le857u by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page